Old 01-21-2016, 11:17 AM   #121  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Good morning ladies,

I got into work a little early today to prep for a morning meeting. Also, my team is going out to lunch to celebrate the promotion of one of the team members. After work, I’ll either be walking with my friend M or going to a WLS support group. Santa is in day care today. It is weird not having him at work with me.

==========================

Terra - I don’t know how easy it is for you to get to the library, but they often have a lot of different workout DVDs you can try before you buy.

Annie - Thanks for taking Mellie’s rolling pin to me. Next step is the cattle prod, right? Santa and I both enjoy when he’s here at work with me. But while he’s still “getting settled” to the new routine, I’m going to take him to day care on days I have a lot of meetings. I just don't want him barking up a storm when I'm away from my cube. I’m so glad the roads were better for your drive home.

Laura - I used to have a set of hot rollers. They weren’t the soft foam kind, but rather the ones with “teeth” and they weren’t good for long hair as it would get tangled or stuck on the teeth. Now I just use a curling iron as I’m not coordinated enough to blow dry my hair with a round brush. So I shower at night and curl my hair in the am.

Happy - Good for you for supporting your local farm. That’s great that you and your friend are going to do your own group meeting. Good for you for reducing the sugar intake. I am supposed to limit fruits, but I just learned that lemon juice is allowed (either to enhance water or as a condiment over fish/seafood). I like cucumber and mint I’m water too (haven’t tried the ginger). This kickstart thing is only for another 1.5 weeks. I’ll get through it. My bf were talking about going to see a movie this Saturday night, but I just learned yesterday that an author I really like is going to be doing a book signing Saturday night….so my bf and I are going to do that instead.

Gotta sign off for now. Happy Thursday!

Love and hugs,

Last edited by diyana; 01-21-2016 at 11:20 AM.
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:28 PM   #122  

Happy – Actually, Illinois does allow concealed carry now. I recall hearing about the requirements for that, and I do see the signs for places that don’t allow them. I don’t see the signs on the building I work in or on Metra trains… I don’t have much interest in guns, and thankfully, I generally feel pretty safe where I live and work. Of course anything could happen.--- I suppose I could grow fresh herbs year round in my basement under my grow light. Huh. ---Good idea for you and your friend to have your own weight loss meetings – whatever keeps you on track and gives you motivation. --- I agree with you – I don’t necessarily want curl in my ‘do, so the rollers are off the table as an option (even if the foam wasn’t disintegrating, lol).

Michelle – Gosh, I never thought about how you deal with meetings when you have Santa with you at work. How does that work? Is that why you put him in daycare today? Or was it because you’ve got plans after work?--- Re hot rollers – yeh, before the steam rollers, I had the type you mentioned. Not as good as the steam ones, but they wouldn’t have disintegrated like the foam part of the steam rollers!! I have to buy a different round brush – mine has longer bristles and catches the hair too much. Have to get to Ulta or Sally this weekend. Yeh, I'll probably have to shower at night so I can do my hair in the AM. I already have trouble getting out of the house in the morning, have to work in some hairstyling time!--- Thanks for the link to the egg bites recipe. I have a mini muffin baking tin as well as the traditional size – good to have options.

Annie – Glad you got home safely last night. Yeh, Happy’s right – most cars seem to be silver these days.--- Re your steam rollers – you could have bought replacement rollers – just the rollers, not the steam unit. Did some checking yesterday and saw them for sale online. I’m not sure I’ll bother doing that – I don’t see myself using hot rollers very much.

Hello to the rest of the Worldlies!
==
Just so happens after commenting to Ceejay about my orthotics order taking a long time, the podiatrist called yesterday – my orthotics are ready. But I need to make an appointment. If I recall, they want to make sure they fit properly.

I woke up again with a sore neck, that’s two days in a row. I’m definitely sleeping in a position that’s causing this. Gonna use a different pillow tonight. At least the soreness wears off quickly.

The boss is already off for his weekend. It sure feels like a Friday to me.

That’s it for me. I’ll get this posted.
Laura705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:56 PM   #123  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

I finally figured out the most simple task in the computer world. I bought a new laptop today to have to play games on when I got bored. And I wanted something a bit bigger than my tablet to get to do other things. I'm so far out of setting up a computer that it's not funny. I tried to download netgear but that didn't take. Tried setting up my wifi but couldn't get the code to enter. And you tech's out there will have a good laugh when I tell you that my problem was that the number key board was off. This is a touch screen like my tablet. Gonna like it. My new laptop is my Christmas present to myself.
We are under a winter weather warning tonight and most of the day tomorrow. We are supposed to get 3-6 inches of sleet and snow. I cancelled my trip to Jonesboro/Paragould this week end but I can always change my plans if this doesn't materialize.
Talked to my aunt a few minutes ago. She's sounds good. She told me that she would start her treatments until next week. I thought it was this week.
We had some freezing rain last night which made the roads slippery. Was glad that I didn't have to get out early this morning. It cleared up by noon and I needed to get my errands ran before all this other stuff comes.
I'll do personal's tomorrow if we have power.
------

Last edited by ceejay52; 01-21-2016 at 10:58 PM.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:15 AM   #124  

Down loaded windows 10 last night which took forever.
We did get some snow but nothing compared to what the weather men/woman had predicted. It was more ice. There is barely enough snow to cover the ground but I'm staying put today.
Got to get some things done.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:24 PM   #125  

Happy Friday all. TGIF!

Ceejay - Oh the joy of learning how to use new gadgets. I hope you enjoy your gift. What kind of games do you play on it? Good you're staying out of the weather.

Quiet here. Everyone have a great day and weekend.
==

Nothing much to report. I was lazy after work. The mail basket is still stacked and I didn't exercise. Just watched some telly and read my book.

Quiet here in the office - the boss is out.

I've decided not to get a food thermos. I would have to heat the food at home in the morning before work and put the food into the thermos. I have enough trouble getting my act together in the mornings without that added step.

The admin recommended the corning ware mug with a vented lid. I could then heat my soup in it with the lid vented, and also be able to carry it back to my cube without sloshing it. (Right now I just have a large stoneware bowl, but with no lid. The other day I sloshed soup on the trip back to my desk. ) So the corning ware mug is less $$ than the thermos, but still sort of pricey.

This morning I stopped at CVS in the train station and I just happened to see a microwaveable mug with a vented lid by a company called Sistema, and it's only 6 bucks. Has good reviews on Amazon, and I have $2 of cvs bucks, so I'll give it a go.

Tomorrow I have a dentist appointment to get fitted for a new nightguard. After that I'm meeting friends to go to a "travel and adventure show". My friend D is interested in cruises, but I'm just going on a lark. See what's there, maybe see some of the scheduled speakers.

Sunday I'll have the day to myself. Bf is spending the day with a friend at the friend's vacation home just over the border in WI to watch the nfl playoff games. He's gonna stay overnight there as well. I might have to borrow some movies from the library.

That's about it for me.

Last edited by Laura705; 01-22-2016 at 12:27 PM.
Laura705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:40 PM   #126  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

TGIF..

Busy day at work. Thank God the snow storm is south of Indy. I am in no mood to deal with that.

My dentist appt is at 1:00 pm today, so this will be short. I want to have enough time prior to brush and floss. I brought leftover homemade chicken and noodles for lunch, not very diet friendly, but tasty. Dang if I don't have enough for Monday lunch. Should be great timing (enough days apart) that I won't have C&N burn out. lol.

LAURA...An evening to yourself, get some good movies, stay inside, keep warm and enjoy yourself.

CEEG...good idea to stay inside out of the elements.

Posting gotta go will try to get back. Happy Weekend!
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:06 PM   #127  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Hi ladies,

Those of you working for the weekend, it's here!

I just bought an Instant Pot - it's an electric pressure cooker. I have wanted one and got a manual one from one of the volunteers at the thrift shop but with my wonky arthritic hands I could not OPEN the silly pot. Didn't have the strength and then when DH had the same problem, I knew it was a hopeless case. There's a lot of people on the Whole30 program that bought this and everyone was raving about it. What I like about it is that because it's pressure cooking, it cooks faster. Yes, even though I am at home, I often forget to put a roast in the slow cooker at 9am to have it cook long enough to be ready to eat at 5. This one does it faster - I could put it in at noon and have everything ready by supper time. It's a rice cooker too and while I would not spend this much money for a rice cooker, I'm thinking it would work for making brown rice which is time consuming and I should convert over from my beloved white rice anyway. Yes I love white rice and I'm not ashamed to say it

Yesterday I cleaned my refrigerator out for trash day. I was bummed to realize that a chuck roast I was defrosting and quickly popped in the produce drawer to keep it cool (no room in the meat drawer as that was filled with cheese ) made quite the mess. I thought the bag was well sealed but it wasn't and leaked bloody meat juice all over my produce. Which if course had to be all tossed out. DH did not say anything about the overly heavy bag of trash this morning. I was pretty bummed out about wasting so much food. Won't be doing that again. For some reason the beef products seem to be leaky whereas the pork and chicken are well sealed. I stopped at the farmers market yesterday and got some fresh herbs. I picked 2 bags of parsley and when I got home, one of the bags was rather dried out which annoyed me. Note to self to check the bags more thoroughly the next time. She also had some really big carrots she said she dug up just that morning that would make a great substitute for "chips". This vendor is at the hospital lobby and they partner with the hospital and feature a table on using good food in a healthy way. Last month they had homemade hummus served on carrot "chips" - thinly sliced carrots shaved on a mandolin and that was a really good combination. A great snack because I don't eat a big supper and in the evening I look for a savory snack.

Laura - saw your note about the thermos. I bought a Thermos brand beverage container and I was really amazed at how warm it kept my tea. I had used it in the summer for my ice water and DH really liked it for lemonade when he was working in the yard. Then I tried hot beverages and wow - it really kept them hot. I would pre-heat the thermos with hot water first and then pour in the hot tea. 5 hours later the tea was still almost too hot to drink. I looked at the food storage containers on Amazon but apparently it doesn't keep the food as hot for as long - 5 hours which is about the time from prep to lunch time. Food was warm enough to eat they say, just not boiling hot. But you are right - you'd have to heat your food in the morning if you decided to do this. I had some old Rubbermaid screw top food containers that I used to pack and nuke at work. Now a days everyone seems to be concerned with microwaving plastic so it does present a dilemma. The corningware mug sounds like a good option - although a pricey investment, you will probably quickly recoup the costs by bringing your own healthy lunches. That's kind of fun to have the weekend to yourself to do what you want. I think I'd much prefer that to a bunch of rowdy guys yelling about the games. Thanks for clarifying on the concealed carry - the instructor said no but obviously he's not up to date on things. I thought I read something about them changing things, an unroar especially with all the shootings going on in the city. As for the grow light - I have big windows with a wonderful southern exposure that probably would be great to grow herbs but I worry about the cats nibbling on them. Also it's really cold from the windows so I tend to mostly keep the honeycomb shades down all winter long. My cousin once said it makes my house look like no one is home but I told him when he pays the heating bills, he can come and raise them up I always THINK about winter herbs but then talk myself out of it!

Ceejay- yay for you for figuring out the new computer! You're probably doing better than I would. I'm glad you didn't get dumped with a lot of snow. I always thought the ice was way more scary - especially when it snapped power lines. Good thing you can stay in at home.

Michelle - it's good that the kickstart is only 2 weeks long and then you can integrate into a plan. I know you used to say you had a sweet tooth - has that tempered down since surgery? Is the female schnauzer still at the HS? If so you can visit. Hannah the cat is still at the shelter - I visit with her when I go but she seems ok with the communal living environment although she does enjoy playing with the toys. Enjoy the booksigning - that sounds like fun.

I have "convinced" DH to go to a live comedy show tonight. We have gone to them before. It's only $5 each (cost underwritten by a local jerky company that is wonderful with it's community support). We'll get dinner across the street - they have delicious food and a great salad bar with homemade soups too. I was going to suggest seeing Dirty Grandpa with DeNiro and Zac Effron but boy have they panned that movie (11% rotten tomatoes rating). I saw the trailer - REALLY bad, sophomoric humor that only teenage boys would like and the kind 20 somethings you see drunk in bars and swearing. I can't believe DeNiro would be in something like that. I guess not a good choice for Effron either although I'd be glad to just look at him.

Annie - are you spending the weekend with the kiddos?

Shad - still at home for a while? Enjoy the warm weather for me.

Terra - did you find your CD replacements yet?

Dee - how is the eye doing?

Susie - how is DH and his arrhythmia? Any fun plans for the weekend?

I got my avocado oil from Amazon (can't get it out this way) so I'm going to try and make homemade ranch dressing and mayo. I don't even like bottled dressings any more so I'm hoping this will turn out well. Not keen on the taste of olive oil itself so many suggested avocado oil instead. Better be good, it was expensive enough.

Anyway have a good weekend everyone, whatever you have planned.

Last edited by happy2bme; 01-23-2016 at 03:13 AM.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:09 PM   #128  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Annie - how do you make chicken and noodles? When I was younger I remember a chicken soup packed in a glass jar with wide egg noodles. It was mostly delicious noodles with a bit of chicken and carrots and about 3 spoons of "soup" but I always loved it. Now I would like some chicken and noodles please. Especially with some parpadelle noodles
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:49 PM   #129  
Creating a Healthier Me

Happy Friday!

Woo Hooo!! It’s Friday! I may have to work tomorrow….not sure yet. The other IT person who I alternate Saturdays with, has been out ill a lot this week. Not sure if he’ll be in today or tomorrow.

There’s a very touching story about two dogs in our shelter that’s made the national media. ( http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0d8cc10992337 and https://www.thedodo.com/husky-poodle...563073493.html ). Everyone here is hoping and praying that the husky gets better so he and his poodle friend will be able to adopted together.

Also, I learned something interesting….some Humane Societies (including the one I work for) receive no federal or state funding. The majority of our funding comes from private and corporate donations, and the remainder comes from the programs and services we offer.

Speaking of programs, I’m taking Santa to a one day training workshop at my work tomorrow. It’s called “Reliable Recall” and will teach the dog how to ALWAYS come when called. Santa does it most of the time…but if another animal or a great scent is distracting him, all bets are off.

I’m off Sunday and Monday this week, and I’m looking forward to getting some stuff done around the house, including more food prep for the Kickstart plan. I went over my carb allotment yesterday and I used a bit of flavoring in my water…but for the most part I’m doing well. Today I’m adding lemon to my water, and that helps. Eating meals with lots of protein and limited carbs keeps the hunger at bay a bit longer…at least for me it does.

===================

Laura - Yep, Santa was in daycare yesterday because of back to back to back meetings. Most people just leave their dogs in their cubes or offices while in meetings. Santa is still getting used to the situation here, so I don’t want to be away from him too long. For short, 15-30 minute meetings, I can leave him in my cube…and sometimes I give him a rawhide to keep him occupied. So sorry to hear about your sore neck again. I hope your orthotics fit properly, Glad you were able to find a mug with lid and for a great price! I hope the dentist appointment goes well. Have fun at the travel show. There’s a similar show coming to my area…I’ve forgotten the date though. I love getting movies from the library. I’ve got two more movies left to watch in the Harry Potter movie binge. Have a great weekend!

Ceejay - Sounds like you got yourself a great laptop! Good for you!! I’m very impressed you were able to get things sorted on it. I still have trouble sometimes. I’m the first to admit that I’m a programmer not a hardware guru. Glad you didn’t get as much snow as predicted.

Annie - I hope your dentist appt goes well. Glad the storm missed you.

Happy - Yes, the female schnauzer is still here, but going home soon I think. I visited her a couple times yesterday, and I’ll probably visit her once today. Santa was in daycare yesterday so I didn’t have to worry about him smelling her on me. Today he most definitely would smell her on me. Gosh, I sound just like someone who’s having an affair. ROFL. Bummer about the meat juice in the produce drawer. Ooooh, homemade hummus on carrot chips sounds delicious! Those Mandolin slicers scare me though. I sliced my fingers up bad with one of those. As for the sweet tooth….unfortunately I still have it. I’m really working on staying away from sweets. It’s ironic that I’m so careful about what Santa eats because I don’t want his health to be compromised….but I don’t take the same diligence with me.

Happy weekend everyone!

Love and hugs,
Old 01-22-2016, 03:53 PM   #130  
Creating a Healthier Me

Spoke too soon….I do have to come into work on Monday. I needed to schedule a meeting for a very important project I’m working on, and the participants are only available Monday afternoon or Thursday or Friday….and I don’t want to postpone the work on the project….so I’ll come in on Monday and take another day off during the week.

Update on the female schnauzer....the vets were finally able to find a microchip on her during the time of her spay. They are attempting to contact the owner. When I just visited her, I called her by her real name (the name registered on the microchip) and she got all excited. She's such a sweet girl. I have a fair bit of work to complete today so I didn't stay more than a few minutes....just long enough to give her lots of pets and play fetch with her. I hope they are able to reach her family.

Last edited by diyana; 01-22-2016 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:23 PM   #131  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Morning all,
Long weekend and it's going to be cloudy and raining for most of it. Monday is Australia Day, where a few people put in a lot of effort to ensure the day is filled with fun things for young and old and large number of people drink to excess, swear, burp, fart and chunder over everyone and generally make a nuisance of themselves and then the cops come and take them away and then get the blame for spoiling peoples fun. Ah yes - cynicism takes over here.

Interesting world living with the kids - they have had an argument and are probably still having one. Lord save us from these ongoing debates about the use or uselessness of one or the other. Fortunately they will be away for Saturday night (that's tonight) and the dog, cats and I will be able to have a peaceful time - if I am not yelling at the dog that is.

The partner remarked on how clean the house was looking - well it isn't hard, sweetheart. You put in a huge effort for around a week and clean it from top to bottom. You then sort out a routine and clean two or three rooms once a week. It usually takes less than an hour a day. Sometimes less than half an hour if you pick up after yourself and the animals. Enough said.

Ceejay - I well remember putting my new computer together. The darn thing would not type the right keys. I finally figured out I was using a UK keyboard instead of the US one. Change that and all is well. So I can't laugh at you. How are you liking Windows 10? I keep getting the message to upgrade for free, but I did hear somewhere that they will charge for it later. How and where I don't know.

Laura - the Sistema brand is a New Zealand company. They make a lot of storage stuff in plastic and advertise that they do not use Parabeen (sp?) in the plastic. I'm presuming it is the clear plastic type with blue bits? Sistema is reasonably cheap, airtight and leakproof (in most cases). I have a lot of the small, medium sized containers and a couple of cereal containers and jugs. Somewhere I have a meat container as well. These have a rack in the bottom so the thawing meat is not sitting in the liquid. They are good, however I have found that if you put tomato stuff in them, they can discolour - looks strange but doesn't seem to affect the use of the product.
Enjoy the travel show - book a trip downunder and we can have some fun in the sun!

Annie - Hope the dentist went okay and you don't get inundated with snow. Better send Happy the noodle recipe or you won't get the butterfly photo from her DH.

Happy - New gadget for the kitchen. Hope it works okay for you. I like white rice too especially since it takes an age for the brown rice to cook and it never looks as nice on the plate. Me too.... I have these great ideas of putting the slow cooker on - mine is old and not very fancy and to my mind seems to cook fast even if you have it on low - so I don't use it that often.
I might have to try the carrot and dip selection - but it probably won't be hummus as I am not that partial to it AND everyone seems to think it is the thing to eat and I don't often follow the crowd.
Pity about the meat leaking over the veges - was it not possible to wash them thoroughly or leave them to soak to get out the blood?? Or can't you do that over there. Maybe consider getting one of the above meat containers from the local store for your beef defrost?!
Still at home for the foreseeable future. Not even looking for work. Something will come along when I am ready - always does. Hope you enjoyed the show and dinner out.

Michelle - I will send you some of our 98F-103F heat. I have sure had enough of it. Today it is supposed to rain. Well it is cloudy but I can't see much rain coming from that. It is also cooler - thanks mr weatherman. Over here neither the RSPCA or any of the other shelters have public funding. They have to fund raise - which is wrong for all sorts of reasons. They are often tapping into people like me (who have donated in the past) to get enough funds to take people to court for abuse (this is something fairly new and is getting quite a lot of publicity). Such a pity that when you go to court, you get judged by the law - justice has nothing to do with it. Judgements handed down are often quite lenient, but within the letter of the law apparently. Better get off my soapbox here I think.

Okay, well this isn't getting things done. I need a shower, hair wash, get dressed and get out into the garden before the rain comes. Cya later

Last edited by Shad; 01-22-2016 at 05:24 PM.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 05:59 PM   #132  
Creating a Healthier Me

Shad - Bummer that your DS and his partner are having an argument. At least they are away for the evening. Please don't send the hot temps over here...we'll have temps that warm in just a few months. I don't mind the 60 degree temps, and even though I don't like the rain because Santa doesn't like to be outside in it, we very much need the rain. I don't think the organization I work for takes people to court. I believe the city and county animal control organizations do that....or it just falls on the law enforcement agencies. And no, the punishments for crimes to animals and children are not nearly long enough in my opinion.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:27 PM   #133  

Shad
I wouldn't mind some of those hot temperatures today. I've been cold. Sorry your son and partner are getting along at the moment. How is Sunday doing with the dog? I need to be cleaning but I can't seem to get in the mood. I'd feel a lot better if the house was clean.
I have windows 10 at work so it hasn't been to bad for me at home. Just getting used to this laptop key board.

______
Haven't done much today. I did do a lot yesterday expecting the power to go out on us due to the winter storm. I hope it just that I just needed to rest today. I even took a nap this afternoon.
I'm going to try and down load a couple of games.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:01 PM   #134  

Where is every one?
Old 01-24-2016, 06:07 PM   #135  

Height: 5'7"

Hi Ladies,

Sorry I went MIA the rest of the week last week. Something in my life lead to a uti and a huge IC flare. I was in so much pain! My urologist is such a good guy, he got me going on cipro, and gave me prescriptions for those pills that numb your bladder and make your pee orange and he gave me a shot that would let me sleep most of the day to let all the other stuff do its thing.

I didn't work at all on Tuesday and I worked from home on Wednesday. Thursday I was feeling a little more human and went into work. Then I came home and went straight to bed, and the same of Friday.

I'm feeling more like me but now, due to the cirpro I can feel a yeast infection starting. I will call the Urologist tomorrow and I know he will give me script for Difulcan (sp?) and then, just maybe I will start to feel normal again.

I didn't do much all week or even this weekend. I have been working off and on all day today getting caught up on work.

I read all the posts and it's a lot to catch up but I feel I have a good grasp of where everyone is. I will be around more this week and back to posting.

I did have a 2 lb loss at TOPS on Thursday. Most have happened because all I wanted to do was sleep...even over eating!

I did want to let Laura know that I saw the pictures and I like the new hair do!!

Also, I'm glad that Michelle's little schnauzer might now be re-united with her family. At least now, she has a name and everyone knows it.

See you all tomorrow.

Last edited by MyChoice2bfit; 01-24-2016 at 06:17 PM.
MyChoice2bfit is offline   Reply With Quote