Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 10:27 AM   #61  

My parents arrive today for a week, friends. Wish me luck in keeping the food reasonable and the exercise in the corners where it is possible!

Juno
Old 10-28-2003, 01:24 PM   #62  

Whine whine whine......who wants to listen to me???? I am past the whining part and just into the What is Up With This Year????? 2003 needs to end fast for us!!!

I got the horrible stomach flu from which I recovered quickly but still to have it right after I was finally getting over the sinus thing just doesn't seem fair. I have exercised again and with a fervor. I am sure my laziness contributed to my bad immune system. Family crisis which has someone in our family in the news headlines as the top story for the past two days is just making all of us sad and annoyed too. Can't go into it here but I will just keep my fingers crossed that it all goes the way it should.

Anyhow - it's wild here today but I just wanted to get on quickly!!

Juno - enjoy the week with your parents. Wish mine were here

Absmom - Hang tough girl. You just put your body through some major milestones which you should give yourself a lot more credit for. My baby was 5 1/2 years ago and I haven't completed that many goals!!!!!

My butt was jiggly when I ran yesterday - haven't felt like that in a long time!!! I finally have discovered e-bay and bid on some tapes I wanted. Running and some severe toning should help. Food has just been alright but a drastic improvement started Monday. I was off the wagon

Gotta go and get a kid on the bus!!!

Steph
Old 10-29-2003, 08:11 AM   #63  

Alright Steph - enough with the whining... Glad to see that you have got back on the wagon... You'll feel a whole lot better with a few more workouts under your belt.

I had an AWESOME workout yesterday. I fell into this ZONE and just ran and ran... 3.5 miles in 35 min. (that's good for me -- really good). I also did many sets of push ups and bench presses. I had just a few minutes left and thought I'd go to muscle failure on one body part. OOOOO am I sore today.

DD 2 is walking... Too fast... I really enjoyed this baby! DD1 is getting a little TOO excited about halloween... I havent finished her costume yet, and she's doubting my resolve.... I am doubting my resolve. Party tomorrow, so I could be up all night if I don't find my mojo in the creativity department...

Well, ITS YUKKY today, Rain rain rain.... I will try to do some cleaning and get myself presentable while dd2 is napping. I have given myself the day off today --- unless I am inspired to work out later tonight.....

Happy Wednesday - and JUNO -- I hope you are enjoying your visit! Family is awesome!

Ciao!
Absmom
Old 11-05-2003, 01:15 PM   #64  

Hi everyone! Did you survive Halloween? I think my candy sampling was less than in years past - but can't resist the Butterfingers or Smarties.

My parents were here for a week and we had a wonderful visit. Now I am playing catch-up. Exercise was pretty much a loss except for walking down to pick up younger D from school. They left Monday - Monday I did an hour at the club and yesterday body pump. Today younger D is home sick from school so we will see.

Can't talk long but wanted to say a big supportive hello to the 5%!!!!!

Juno
Old 11-07-2003, 09:00 AM   #65  

Hey All!

Glad your visit went well - and I know how long it takes to get things back on track... at least a week for me. I am doing pretty well in the workout dept. I have started a more organized weight routine and have made it to the gym pretty regularly. My sis and I are also getting together for a run once a week so we don't lose all that we have gained over the last few months.

I am doing not as well in the eating dept. Not eating the wrong things --- just too much of the right stuff and not in a mindful way. I don't really know what it is other than laziness?

I am going to work on getting better about it. Times a wastin'... And now, I've got some chores to get done... The three things I try to accomplish each day --- difficult with dd2 walking and busy!! Can't leave her for a second!!

Hope you are doing well Steph! Check in soon!!

Juno - Glad to see that you've made it to the club and body pump... It's just like riding a bike, isn't it??

Happy5%!
Absmom
Old 11-07-2003, 11:39 AM   #66  

Hey gals - glad to see everyone is up and running! I can't believe Christmas is just 7 weeks away. So much to do and seems there is no time. I am not doing my usual letter just sending cards. I even think my DH's side of the family is going to agree we just don't have to send packages. Too much stress. Someone suggested we have a limit - I suggested we do away with it. We are all far away and have no clue what the kids need.

Exercise is going pretty well. I am doing shorter workouts but trying to up the intensity. I am also back to doing about 40 minutes of yoga which really was getting skipped lately. 40 minutes per week isn't great but hey it's better than nothing! I am eating very behaved during the day so I consider that normal for myself. Somebody does need to get rid of the darn Cheetos Cheese Puffs though vs. the halloween candy. I dont' touch the candy but those puffs call my name every day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So much going on here as usual. I have a new baby starting next week so it will take a while for the kids to all get in sync. Don't know how my workouts will go but I am crossing my fingers that since I am in a groove that I can maintain it. On the bummer side - I have to see a neuroligist so that is kind of weighing on my mind. Two eye doctor appts and then a chat with my regular doctor is sending me off to the brain guy. Nothing life threatening (or so I hope!!!) just some guesses about what is going on.

Daycare kids are having pajama day (only big kids here) but now they are being crazy and need guidance!!

Steph
Old 11-12-2003, 09:13 AM   #67  

Hey All!

Hope your week is going well. I have a sore butt from 8 million squats in BodyPump yesterday! I guess its a good feeling to know that I worked hard... maybe a little too hard.

I am still slow with the weight loss, but resolved to the fact that whatever i lose will be good enough. I am working hard - exercising and writing things down so I am not going to beat myself up...

Holidays are fast approaching --- Yikes! With the surgery, my goal is to be done --- wrapping and all by Thanksgiving. We've lightened the load with the gift giving --- my sisters, brothers, mom go out to a nice dinner minus the kids in lieu of exchanging and my hubby's side gets savings bonds and donations in their name... Noone needs anything and what they want they buy....

Its just the kids and frankly they don';t need any more toys either. Both had their b-days last month and are fully stocked!
Trying to convince my hubby to keep it light.

I am with you steph --- Didnt bother with the candy, but want to kill my DH for buying an industrial bag of doritos! Torture!!

Hope you're all being your 5% best!

Happpy Wednesday
Absmom
Old 01-07-2004, 11:50 AM   #68  

Default Did anyone read my post from Sunday?

That is all I am checking to see. I read Juno & Absmom's last posts and replied on Sunday. Just checking to see if I have to re-post

Steph
Old 01-14-2004, 08:27 AM   #69  

Hi All!

A little bit sad about the lost posts, but glad that they were read before they met their doom... Again, Happy New Year ! This is the year to do everything better!

Starting to really hit the gym this week. I am officially 4 weeks post-op and, if you don't mind me bragging, I look pretty good! My DH says that I look 16 -- or at least parts of me do... Thanks!! I haven't had a back ache/neck ache - not once! and I can really breathe!! Funny how that worked out! And, finally I FEEL good! It's amazing how the confidence thing works... I don't have to feel self-concious about my chest and people staring or thinking that they are... It's great!

And now I want everything to match! Abs need a lot of work, and the cardio definately took a hit after my 3+ week hiatus. I have put together a little spreadsheet (a la Steph) and will try to stick to planned workouts... We'll see how it goes. As for food, I had a strange post x-mas / NY's binge...YUK! I don't know if it was a build up of stress from no regular workouts, reaction to post surgery or if it was just the post holiday thing... In any case, its behind me now and I've really made an effort this week to write down what I eat and plan my meals. Plan/Write down... that's my goal for food.

Juno! I hope that you are warmer than we are... We woke up this morning to minus 10 (real temp, not wind chill) YUK! I am not a winter person... The idea that we're supposed to add 5 inches of snow is just .... bleck!! Bring on APRIL!!

Steph, I hope that you are well and taking on the new year with GUSTO! After a not so great 2003, I see only GOOD things for your 2004!

Well, I am off to get the kids ready for the day!

Cheers!!
Absmom
Old 01-14-2004, 02:51 PM   #70  

Default Hi!

Hi Everyone! Glad to hear that your recovery is going great Absmom! Good for you for making that choice and reaping all the benefits! Hats off to you

2004 has started off nice and calm. We have been busy but have been able to space everything out and that is one of my tasks for this year - make sure we all have downtime. I even signed the boys up for spring indoor soccer so we could all have the summer off. Hockey season is long so we need a break before next fall.

I LOVE my new treadmill and it has really helped me break my plateau. My old one didn't have that many programs or options on it so I just must have been plugging along. My legs are tighter, my abs are losing some of that extra flab and if I keep going - 2004 might be the year that I rid myself of the middle stuff. I have also been very diligent about tracking my calories at Fitday. I hate tracking calories but I needed to see where I eat all my extras and have made great improvements just in my 2nd week without feeling the least bit like I am watching my calories. 3FC & Fitday are two places that have been very helpful in my losing weight and keeping it off. They are my ground rules!

My DH was talking about running a marathon the other day - boy has he come a long way!! He ran 6 miles the other day and did it in under an hour. I think he loves to push himself so that might be a goal for the year.

Crabby baby is obviously not going back to nap which he really needs We had the cold chills before you did Absmom - but now it is only in the 10's so I can deal with it. I think Juno is warmer than us in the winter because she is near the coast????

Hope you can check in soon Juno!

Steph
Old 01-23-2004, 08:41 AM   #71  

Hi All! DH has been away for the week so I have been single and a little nuts! I am working out hard, but eating without a lot of thought. I feel as though I have mastered the fitness side, but the food escapes me. Why do I seem to be able to do one without the other? In years past I could watch what I ate, but could never manage the gym or any other meaningful fitness... Ah the struggle continues...

Steph, I am glad you are enjoying the new treadmill. Its nice how new toys seem to add motivation to our lives. A marathon for your DH? I wish mine would catch the bug! He has really gained alot of weight over the last 6 months or so and his family has awful heart genes! He makes it to the gym to lift weights, which he enjoys- but it doesn't matter how much you lift if your arteries are clogged!

I made a decision this week to rid the house of processed carbs. DH doesn't need them, kids don't need them and lord knows I don't need them. I buy them "for the kids" feeling like I couldn't punish them for my shortcomings, and now I realize, I am buying them secretly for me - since I tend to eat them as much as anyone else. The end!

I bought a lot of fruit this week and hopefully we'll eat it before it rots... My focus continues to be making good choices and getting strong and toned!

Juno - I hope that you are well and warm! How's the club going??? Hope your back on track !!

Happy Friday!
Absmom
Old 01-23-2004, 01:07 PM   #72  

Default It's snowy and white here!!!

It looks beautiful outside since this mornings snow covered up all the muck we've been living with. Looks picture perfect outside!! My boys got snowshoes from grandma so we need a few more inches so they can try them out (and me too since I have small feet!)

Busy in daily life and am very thankful that DH doesn't work tons of hours like he used to. Every once in a while he has OT but nothing like our first 10 years together when it was all the time. He is home every day and has his exercise time too which he always cuts back though if he gets busy - I cut other things. He just got his cholesterol and everything done - perfect numbers. So except for the stuff around my tummy we are a fairly healthy couple these days. I don't force my kids to eat healthy but they choose really well most of the time. We have so many friends whose kids walk around with MD cans and stuff when they are so little! My kids have it but they don't think that is the must. I hope we can keep them thinking this way.

I am trying a Level 3 on the tread today which will be tough but it will burn over 400 calories in 30 minutes. Wish me luck. I can do the Level 2 programs with ease so I guess I need to tough a rough workout out I am working out at least 5 days a week and am still walking at night 5 days a week too. I think the walks have really kept us from gaining winter weight. I have so much stuff on me that it is like carrying weights (ha!).

Absmom - the food thing will come. It's the hardest step but eventually it will work. We cut out the junk for a while or bought little bags of chips and stuff until we could control ourselves. Both DH and I don't munch except on weekends. We used to snack EVERY night. Little things made it easier to bare. The one thing I can not get used to is wheat pasta and stuff - I like the white enriched stuff!! I eat the proper bread, crackers etc.. but pasta turns me off. I even think healthy granola is good now I don't eat anything really diet or low-fat, just curb my portion size or go nuts and feel bad later!! I have a terrible addiction to Symphony candy bars all of a sudden!! Never had one in my life and now I crave them. Trying to eat tiny pieces to satisfy!

Juno - pop on and post!! I loved your book website even though I only went there briefly. You guys really ask a lot more questions and talk about books more than any group I've belonged to. You'd laugh at our pathetic thoughts on books - I read for the thrill though vs. the education! Still read at least 2 books a week but am pickier. If I hate it by the 60th page it is done.

Off to exercise land as soon as I get the kids to nap (they are eating and I am right by them so don't think I am ignoring them - had to eat earlier or I can't run with food in my stomach!).

Steph
Old 01-26-2004, 09:48 AM   #73  

Hi Steph (and Juno whereever you are);

Nice to see that you are challenging yourself! I know it will pay off nicely. Even if you can't make it through the whole level 3... do it as long as possible. What are you reading these days? I need something good to get into. I haven't really picked up a book since before Christmas, and now I need something to get me away from the TV at night (and accompanying snacks). Not like there is anything interesting on these days --- just something I use to decompress.

I went cross country skiing for the first time this weekend. My older sister and I did about 45 min. It was -4 out and a bit windy, but my sister is going in for a hysterectomy this morning and wanted to get one last winter outing before she's stuck in the house. I am a little sore this morning, but nothing too bad. I do, however, have a stitch in my side (the kind you might get while running) that just won't go away. My DH says I pulled it lifting weights... I don't think I have appendicitis (sp) or anything, but man, I've never done it before and its painful! I plan to take it easy at the gym today (its lower body workout) and hopefully it will feel OK.

I am feeling strong overall and if I can get my eating in order I will be well positioned to start Triathlon training in April. The Y has a group meeting 2x a week for women only in prep for their Tri at the end of June. I plan to do both the June Tri and the Danskin August 1. My sis and I both agreed that it was fun training together and nice to have a date/goal. As long as I finish faster than last year I'll be happy.

Juno - are we still on for virtual spa? I am definately needing a mid winter retreat. Thought about just scheduling a pedicure --- anything to make me feel put together...

And now I am off to start the day!!

Happy Monday and LIVE 5%
Absmom
Old 01-28-2004, 01:00 PM   #74  

Quick hello from me - have to type before I get my son on the kindergarten bus.

I miss skiing I used to downhill ski and cross country but DH doesn't do it so it just sort of fell by the wayside. He has talked about trying downhill and we both agreed to try cross country by next year since that is a bit cheaper to take up. I think the kids will do okay with that too - they got snowshoes the other day but I don't think the snow was quite deep enough.

I'd give you reading suggestions Absmom but I read tons of Mystery and then a bunch of bestseller stuff, and then odds and ends I here about that I love Let me know what you like.

I am running away on this treadmill. I can run so much better on this thing - guess shocks really make an improvement! My Level 3 went fine until minute 23 when it had me running at 7mph and 7% incline. I did not want to wimp but decided that I was either going to be splattered against the laundry room wall or drop the speed after about 1 1/2 minutes in that mode. I survived the rest. I stay on the tread longer, push myself much harder and can see the results in my midsection.

Off to run some errands this afternoon (is the dentist an errand???)

Later!

Steph
Old 02-10-2004, 08:13 PM   #75  

Yo! Where is our group???!!! We are all so darn busy. Life is fine here but even sitting here trying to get the kids to finish their Valentines is stressful They now want to send stuff to out-of-state people but I don't have time!!

Food is not bad, making minor changes all the time. I started eating lunch after my workout to try and cut out the snacking that I do after I run/cardio. I am always munching then. I thought if I moved the meal then I could do a mini snack pre-workout but then I can eat a nutritious lunch THAT I always make in advance and have in the fridge.

Workouts good. I remember the days when I only logged in 5 miles a week on the treadmill and pretty much I get 12-15 miles on the treadmill each week now plus about 5 miles in outside walking. I have been slack with the weights but am working my way back up with those. Still do yoga but in bursts!!

Okay that is my scoop - hope anyone has time to hop on!!

Steph
Closed Thread