Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 08:55 AM   #31  

I am sure that all of you are busy with kids and work and new homes... Hope you are all well and can check in soon. Off on vacation in a few days. Had to take a day off from training to send my dd1 to nursery school and take care of a sick (again) dd2. Not much sleeping at this house lately....

Running 3 miles this morning and will meet with the run group tomorrow. Felt good this weekend, but now a little nervous about meeting with the group again... I'll get over it... I am going.

Haven't lost any weight which is a bit disappointing, but I've been pretty faithful to the program and will just keep plugging along. Somethings got to give eventually.

Well DD2 is up from her nap and we're off to the gym.

Ciao! and Happy Wednesday!!

Absmom
Old 09-10-2003, 12:25 PM   #32  

Abs and all my other friends - I'm back in the mire of just a lot of work, and it's been hard to do any kind of emailing or posting! Rest assured that things are going well in my corner. I will try to do a Reader's Digest Condensed Version (my grandparents had shelves of these - if you are going to read the book why would you want to read it condensed down?)

Anyway. The walking has continued, though now that the fall weather has begun I've done my walking a couple of times at the club on the treadmill. I believe it gets areas of my hips that the buffer and bike do not. However, I'll have those for variety. I've been back to BPump a few times and have gone with lighter weight. Despite the intensity of summer, and just my simple walking for exercise, I don't think I have lost any of my strides - might be better than ever! Food for thought, that is. My clothes fit great. I do think the BPump does a lot for my arms, and I'll be concentrating on that.

Food: My efforts right now is just in concentrating on PLANNING. I'll often waste a lot of time obsessing about what I am going to make and then when late afternoon comes that is the time of day when I am wiped out. I've begun (Oh Steph you will laugh because I know this is second nature for you) to make a list of dinner entrees for the week, then organize my shopping list and then get everything for at least a week's worth of meals. Then I'm slowly cooking cooking extra and getting some stuff frozen - so that I'll have a stash of no-brainer things for those later in the week days when I'm so tired that dinner sometimes turns into nachos.

I don't think I'd ever be strictly the freezer food type but I'm using some of their principles for meals that seem suitable, sauces, etc. I can see weekends and earlier in the week being more creative meals, and then falling back on easy stuff later.

Then I'm concentrating on vegetables and grains, etc. I see some benefits in quality and $$$ already. Stay tuned on that. I think just having a routine helps.

We are loving the house but I'm working an awful lot! In fact I'd love to keep this post going, talk to you all individually, etc., but my deadlines loom!

Today - Either walk to little D's school or on the tread at club
Make Juno soup (black beans are soaking, yeah!)
Fruit!

Back to work for me - keep your spirits 5% and check in when you can!

Juno

Last edited by FitandFine; 09-10-2003 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-10-2003, 03:16 PM   #33  

Quick one from me too!! Absmom - don't be disappointed in yourself. You are doing great and you are probably just putting some of that pounds into muscle rather than losing some pounds. It just goes in cycles so hang in there! I was watching that VH1 Rock Bodies where they take 4 girls and give them a trainer, chef etc.... the few that lost only 20 pounds and I think some had bigger goals....looked so much different from the toning vs. meeting their weight goals!!

JS - Hope you and the new family are feeling comfortable and taking time to enjoy one another but don't forget about you! I know I did that in the beginning and it's a tough cycle to break out of.

Juno - That is kind of what we do...make extra sauces, etc. vs. making whole meals extra. We can then throw stuff together when we are at the end of the week and annoyed. Steve and I will also eat dinner different than the kids one day a week and we let them have junk so they don't feel like it's always healthy mom and dad food DH is a much better healthier cook now that he is in shape and wants to remain that way.

Meetings for junk start this week and I am trying to only volunteer for things I really want to do and not just doing it because. Only problem is the lack of volunteers makes me step in. But I am not going to do things out of guilt...

I have a few minutes left of quiet time. I did find many new and recent exercise tapes at the library and have been getting a really good strong and different workout from those. I also have been riding my bike with the kids (no power pedal) but better than me sitting around the house and I already have exercised and done the dog walk on those days. All the little changes......

Have a great day!!!

Steph
Old 09-11-2003, 09:43 AM   #34  

Hi All!

Juno - Glad to see that "just living" is working for you... I dream of the day when I don't have to focus so intently on getting my exercise in... I want it to be part of my nature... Good ideas with the food... I need to try that planning thing sometime...

Steph - I'm glad the workouts are going well. I've tried tapes in the past and really find it hard to motivate myself to finish them... Glad you are enjoying them - its good to get some variety...

JS - Hope the new family is working well for you and like Steph said --- Don't forget about yourself...

I met with my group this morning. The marathoner didn't show, so I was the only girl. It went OK and I ran the full 4 miles pretty strong --- though much slower than the rest. I am officially registered for the half marathon, so there's no turning back... I've got to keep the training going strong during vacation...

Food is good. I actually had a low cal day yesterday and will try and duplicate my efforts again today. We're off on vacation tomorrow morning... DH just informed me that he has to go into the office for a "quick" meeting so we'll be leaving much later than I would like... I am annoyed, but dealing with it.

I'll be hoping for a 5% week -- and hope you all have the same!

HAPPY THURSDAY!
Absmom
Old 09-14-2003, 03:51 PM   #35  

I hope you are enjoying your vacation Absmom and that the new storm is not heading your way!

Exercise goals have just crashed and gone by the wayside these past few days because I got injured by my lovely two dogs who got in a fight over a treat and my leg got a big huge chomp. No stitches just because I had no skin to connect since it turned into 3 holes. All swollen and bandaged but today is supposed to be the worst and the swelling should be down by tomorrow. All was going fine with both dogs for the past month but the "new" dog did bite my youngest son in the face (just superficial) but still it wasn't nice!! I can't blaim the dog though because I had asked my son to not do all the cuddling and hugging until we make sure the dog is okay with it. He kept getting in it's face though and thus a bite. One more episode though and we will have to look into other options for the dog My dog was the one that bit me (on accident because my poor dog realized right away and backed off.....) 110 pounds German Shep mouth is not fun. I can see why you would not want to be chased by a police dog!!

So I have just been sitting on my butt for two days...icing, reading, and watching TV. I must admit I feel guilty but gosh I can't say that it is awful!!!

So I hope everyone is up and around vs. lazy me!!!!!!

Steph
Old 09-14-2003, 04:14 PM   #36  

Steph that sounds horrible.

If a dog bit my child in the face, that dog would be GONE. I hope you will consider permanent placement for the new doggie, which you did not ask to sign up for anyway. In your line of business such an animal is a terrible liability! I hope you heal quickly.

I'm doing pretty well, getting things done. The garage floor is more and more open and we will be parking the cars in there before frost! Yeah!

Planning menus really works for health guys. It keeps me out of the stores and is much more efficient. Why have I always resisted such obvious good ideas? Well they say procrastination is related to perfectionism somehow, but for some reason I am able to get over some of these hurdles lately, maybe it is the new house and wanting to get things right. I've made my menus for the week and I'll be off to the store after I get some more transcription done.

Exercise - there has been some missed days but very good efficiency on the days I make it. DH and I will be at the club after dinner tonight. I can't believe how firm my thighs are now that I am concentrating more on walking and keeping the speed high. I swear it is better than running for the thighs! I do put some incline on there.

I'm trying to focus a bit on body alignment. I think that sometimes I'm not doing myself any favors with unflattering postures and facial expressions. Always trying to figure out somthing new.

Absmom I'm living vicariously through your adventures! When will we see more photos? As for "just living" I go in and out of it - sometimes I do need to keep track or have a plan to get back on track, but life is indeed more natural if I'm running a calculator all the time.

JS Hope all is well. Are you still working in the same place as before?

Back to work for me. Heal quickly Steph!

Juno
Old 09-15-2003, 07:46 PM   #37  

Happy Monday!!

Absmom I am worried about that nasty hurricane heading your way. I know it was downgraded this evening but still!! It is funny how different storms sound so horrid. I am not the least bit afraid of tornado's since I've lived so much in the midwest but ever since I saw Superman I would flip if an earthquake started near me! Hurricanes are just bad because they last and last. Hope you are finding some enjoyment in your vacation and can still run outside!! I know your goals are so important to you!!

I was able to exercise again today because it is only tender to the touch vs. swollen so I can't walk. I just have 3 regular bandaids vs. gauze so I am well on my way to being healed. Maybe if I hadn't eaten so much over the weekend then I would have taken another day off but just couldn't deal with it.

Oh Juno, that is why I have all these animals because I make them part of our family. My youngest child is going to do a lot more damage to people than some and I can't kick him out over his first few mistakes. I am not happy with what the dog did but I realize we all have some adjustments to make. No permanent damage and my son needs to learn what he can do and can't around animals. I got bit in the face and required stitches when I was about his age and I had that dog til she was 17. If I thought the dog was mean and wanted to maul us it would be gone but after it bit him, it spent the whole time sitting next to his feet looking very sad. I have the dogs away from daycare as it is. Too many fingers and pokes and accidents waiting to happen. I have a very nasty cat who bites (he only likes me and goes after my kids). Kids have learned you just don't bother Willy because he only likes Mom!! I've had two friends end up in the hospital from cat bites and don't know anyone that has suffered major damage from a dog bite. I have gotten bitten by dogs over the years and the only damn one that did it because it was nasty was a poodle. I got bit really hard by a Rottweiler but I knew better than sticking my arm where I did. The dog is 11 years old and it took me 2 mos. to get him sleeping through the night so he is so confused as it is. The dog sits at my feet, sleeps at my feet, and just doesn't want anything to do with anyone else.

Enough about the dogs....just don't want anyone to think I don't value my child's face!!! I have a very nice face up close but boy has it taken it's share of scars over the years. You can't see many because they are faded or a bit of concealer covers them but when I used to suntan they were actually visible. Merry-go-round incident, dog, car accident, broken nose and sliced the skin off!!

Did anyone watch the Dr. Phil thing Friday night?? I taped it and watched it Sat. morning. I think it was most things that I was focusing on except for the few points about learning when we mood eat or boredom eat and finding out how to fix that. I am not going to make fun of that one guy but I almost fell over when the Pastor said he ate at fast food 12 times per week - yikes!!! I feel guilty because mine is two meals out of the week and I feel sinful

Good news is that I had my annual physical and had lost 7 pounds since last years! Yeah. Still not at goal but I felt good that I only had one year in the past 5 that I didn't go down at least 5 pounds. Darn if I have to take it off 5 pounds a year than so be it.....none of them have come back!

Hope you are all having a great Sept. I need to go kick back and relax!!

Steph
Old 09-23-2003, 09:21 AM   #38  

Hi All!

Well, I am back from our UN-vacation... The hurricane forced us out of the beach house by Wednesday night and we drove straight home... 12+ hours with the girls... Got home at 5 am and crashed for an hour or so when the little one needed to eat...

I am pretty much back together now... Although my house is a complete disaster. I am thankful that DH went to work this am so that I can try and pull it all together... I've got about 10 min until nap time is over so....

Running is going OK though not great. I havent' felt or had a good run in a few weeks... Had a few walks on the beach and a pretty tough run through town --- thought I had done 6 miles and it turned out to be slightly more than 4.... bummer.... ran a few times at the gym and yesterday with my sister I walked more than I ran of my 7 mile course.... Today is a cross train day, wednesday I rest and Thursday I meet my group again after the break for a 5 miler.... YIKES... I swear as the race get closer, I get slower and less efficient.... Hoping to spur my motivation this week---- I need a BIG BOOST!

On the diet front I was happily surprised to see a loss for the first time since July! 1.5 lbs lower than I have been in a really long time. I hope this is a signal that my body's resistance to losing weight is finally over?!! I haven't be diligent or mindful --- just running. Hoping that if I start to really pay attention to things, that I'll keep the losses more regular.... It would be nice to be down 10 before the race on Oct. 19.

I am trying to be more organized this week - and like you Juno - I've started to shop based on a weeks worth of menus... We'll see if DH can keep out of my ingredients and make it work....

Steph - So sorry to hear about your dog bite! Sounds very painful - hope you're back on your feet! I've had lots of dogs - but only one biter and my mom sent him packing... It's a tough call....

Anyway - the nap is done. I will cross train today --- probably bike, drink h2o and try to get a decent ab workout in....

Wishing you all a 5% DAY!

Absmom
Old 09-26-2003, 09:18 AM   #39  

Hi! I had some major computer problems and was dealing with them before I could find the time to type. $200 later and a new hard drive on my laptop and all is fine! I guess we actually use our laptop quite a bit because this is the first hard drive we have killed!!

Exercise is good, food is pretty good. Tomorrow is my birthday and I hope Absmom that you have better luck reaching your goals. I will admit to not trying very hard so obviously it wasn't a goal that I really was after!! I have been much better this week since after eating like crap a few weeks ago it really showed on my skin. I make smart choices 85% of the time so I am just trying to up that to 90% or so. I need 10% to make it fun!!

This was the first time that I actually stuck to my exercise routine 5 days in a row. I am trying to stick to my schedule of S-Th but you know how life goes BUT I am trying to be in control of what we do.

Absmom - maybe this isn't our year for vacations as a group! Juno had all the running around of house buying, we had all the tragedy on ours......hopefully next year we will all have real vacations!

Juno - Hope you are finding some peace in your day even if they are all jam-packed!

Off to a wedding tonight and our first child-free evening in a long time!! I am letting both go to a sleepover but we have no good plans after a brief stop in at the wedding! So sad that we have no clue what to do - just don't have date nights around here very often. I am going to search the newspaper for something to do

Happy Weekend!!!

Steph
Old 09-27-2003, 09:42 AM   #40  

Steph - GOOD for you !! Hope you and your DH had a WONDERFUL date! You've got to take full advantage of the kid-less evenings... Sounds like exercise for you is good and with your determination you'll make your goals! Its my birthday wish for you!!! Have a Great one!

I am OFF today - but had a decent week of exercise... Ran 7 on Monday, 5 on Thursday, 3 yesterday and 10 (yes 10) is the plan for tomorrow --- although its suppose to be stormy / rainy so we may cut it to 6... Three weeks til the race... got to get SERIOUS about this training...

I am back on the losing track - think its the increase in mileage that's helped the weight... Whatever it is, I am HAPPY and motivated... I am on track to make my 10 lb loss before the race.

JUNO! Hope your work is evening out and the start of Fall brings some routine back into your life... Do check in and catch up!

And DD2 is UP from nap and I'm off to start the rest of the day! Happy 5% to you all!
Absmom
Old 10-02-2003, 09:00 AM   #41  

Hi All - Just a quick check in to keep you up with my progress... Had an AWESOME week running. Did 9.7 in the rain on Sunday with the 2 sisters. It took a long time, but I am SOOOOOO proud of myself - It's the longest I ever ran in my life!!! Kept up the pace on Tuesday for 5, Wednesday 3 and this morning a very strong 5 with the running group. The coach stayed with me this morning and really gave me the extra kick I needed. Sunday I am planning another 10 miler. Only 2 more weeks and 2 more long runs before the race. I am feeling pretty good, though honestly, I can't wait for it to be done. It is still just one of those things that is SO daunting for me....13.1 miles.... Even though I know I can do it --- slow as I am ---- it just makes me wish for Oct 20...

Met with the plastic surgeon this week. She's encouraging me to get to a realistic comfortable weight before the surgery so that I will be happier with the results. She said that people some time lose the weight after surgery, their boobs get even smaller and then they are not as happy with the look... I guess I can see where she's coming from and so will be stepping up my efforts to see if I can speed things up a bit. I am officially in the 180s now, and would like to lose another 20 or so before I do the reduction. My goal is Thanksgiving. We'll see.

Well, DD2 is napping and I've got to take a shower before she wakes. Steph and Juno - Hope you're both meeting your personal goals for exercise and healthy eating. Check in soon!!

5% 5% 5%!!! My running mantra....

Happy Thursday!
Absmom
Old 10-02-2003, 02:53 PM   #42  

Absmom - that is wonderful!! Good for you. I think it is so wonderful how you took a pretty hard goal and made it a reality. I am jealous of your drive!!! Way to go!!!!!

I am sitting here feeling sorry for myself with a major headcold and an eye Dr. appt. that didn't go well yesterday....have to have a recheck. I was feeling great about getting older until this year!! 2003 is still not my usual happy year. My one sister used to make fun of me for my world being perfect Never thought it was but this year sure has it's negative moments!!

I am going to curl up on the couch and read some inspiring stories to pull me out of my grumpiness. I think this is the cold writing and not me

Steph
Old 10-02-2003, 03:52 PM   #43  

Hi Everyone--I know, long time no post. I can't chat long now, alas - extra doctor today and I'm a bit behind.

It is my birthday today! I love it. I feel my 40s have been my best yet in health and fitness. It's just building on things one step at a time.

LOTS going on in my personal life and fitness is still mostly walking walking walking. I walk down to my little D's school and then walk home with her and will do that as long as the weather allows. It is great mom/daughter time and she needs it because she misses the old house and is grieving not sharing a room with her 13 year old older sister. It's a winner all around!

Good for you abs, you are chipping away at those goals and you will achieve them. I think the doc gives good advice.

Steph lick that cold, and I know your grumpy moods seldom linger.

Later friends--

Juno
Old 10-06-2003, 09:00 AM   #44  

Happy Belated B-day Juno!

So many October b-days!!! My dd2 turned one 10/1, and dd2 turned four 10/4. Big party at the homestead this past Saturday! Felt like I was getting sick... Felt gross on Sunday - the long run (supposed to be 9 miles) closed out at 6. The energy level was nil and I reasoned that I just shouldn't push it. This is my last big training week so I don't want to skimp... I do want to get better though... Not sure how to play it... We'll go to the gym today for a quick jaunt on the bike (crosstrain day) and perhaps I'll sit in the sauna for a bit. That usually makes me feel better....

Food-wise things are pretty good. Portions were probably a little bigger than they needed to be over the weekend, but I bought fresh tabouli, hummous and other Lebanese favorites from the BEST bakery for the party, and just couldn't resist! YUM!! Its all gone now, so were definately back on track.

I've got the race in 2 weeks and a date with the surgeon whenever the insurance comes back SOOOOO I am feeling focused on all fronts.

Steph - I hope your back to your ol' self... Everyone has their down time... Pamper yourself - take a break --- Lord knows you deserve it!!!

Well, time to get the baby in for a nap and start my day! Lots of picking up/cleaning to do.... Yippee!!

Absmom
Old 10-06-2003, 05:22 PM   #45  

The cold is almost gone but it was a doozy. My line of work just picks up the germs left and right as the cold weather hits. My spirits are back on the up again so I'll quit complaining.

I did a good thing on Saturday and headed to the mall. I bought 4 new pairs of pants all in a size 7 junior to replace all of my very loose fitting jeans that I have had for the past two years. They were all getting threadbare and coming apart at the seams so I just decided to chuck them all at one time and get some new stuff. I bought all slim cuts and I think it dropped me down several sizes. So many years later I am getting near my goals. I think for now I am going to focus on maintain because I am just not at a pushing point this fall. I can see how much is coming up on the calendar and know making big goals will just be the end of me. I am going to concentrate on small things. Not finishing meals at restaurants, not eating huge portions if I am going to have two, etc... It's been working for me and I hope that I won't just blow up from this theory!!!

Juno - glad you are enjoying the walking. I think that adding that daily walk and sticking with it all through the winter made a big difference in how I felt all last year.

Absmom - I am sure you will find your energy by the time of the big race. I don't care if you even finish (I know you do!!) but just the committment and dedication proves you are a winner!! I know you want it so I am sending every ounce of willpower and strength I can to you!!

That's all for now - gotta go get more things done!!

Steph
Closed Thread