Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 09:52 AM   #16  

Congrats on the new house move going so well!! I have moved 30+ times in my life so I know how fun it can be (ha!!). The last two times we have moved have been a 36-48 hour non-stop journey. We are so insane that usually we are not ready to move but somehow we get it all to the next place and then refuse to sleep until we are unpacked!! Our friends went home and we just kept going until we only had about 4 boxes left in the garage. I think one of the things preventing us from moving again is that we had a lot of people to help us last time but our list would be really small now We have a lot more stuff so no one would help.

Absmom - well I have done more than look at food lately and I can feel it in my waist. My pants were really lose and I liked that feeling. I think it is slowly going away this week because of my intense exercise. I have been eating smaller portions this week but not the best choices.

JS - I think you have the best attitude and that makes all the difference in being a step-parent. I am a good one but I started out with the right attitude and maybe I've grumbled a few times over things that have happened but never got discouraged. I will say that exercise was a hard thing back then because it was tough adjusting to a kids needs and my needs. Now I have been doing it for so many years and finally learned the ME is important to make them happy

PW - I hope you aren't withering in that TX heat!!

All is just dandy here. I didn't exercise at all yesterday except for the dog walk but plan on getting in a good workout at nap time. I will try and workout over the weekend to make up for yesterdays day off. Goal is workout M-F and weekends off but as school approaches so do all the obligations and fun things that come with that.

I have 5 working days left before they all head back to school. Today I am missing 3 kids, next week the oldest girl i is hardly here, then my one tough kid isn't here at the end of the week.....so it will be easy and painless. The new baby is pretty good and I am happy the other mom had a very exteneded maternity or I would be flipping out. I also got back the boy I watched for Kind. last year as a morning only kid (helps make the new van payment I like him but didn't want another kid here but the ability to pay for my van and my children's desire to train for the NHL means mom and dad need more extra $$$. I think I am sticking tons of their Christmas money away for things like that vs. a lot of junk this year. I can't believe I am already thinking of Christmas!! Summer isn't even over yet.

Hope everyone has a great day!!

Steph
Old 08-22-2003, 10:38 AM   #17  

Oh Steph, I can't believe you're thinking about Christmas already!! Altho I do know that it will be here sooner than we think. I'm still a little surprised that school starts again here in a couple weeks.

Thanks all for the support on the stepparenting thing. It has been a big change - and will be even more when she's living with us. I am already wondering how my schedule is going to be affected but am planning on keeping to the gym schedule, even tho it may need to be modified.

I have to brag for a minute - scale at the gym yesterday said I've lost 2.5 lbs. What a relief to see the numbers moving down again!

Juno, welcome back and congrats on the new house!! Is it feeling like 'home' yet?

absmom, how are you doing? Still really stiff and sore - or feeling better enough to do it all over again? But squats with 30 lbs weights. You're amazing girl.

Well just had a coworker come in who wants to chat (sigh) so i should run. Hope you're all having a great 5% day!!!
Old 08-22-2003, 01:02 PM   #18  

Hi All!

Today is my official "day off" though yesterdays workout was less than stellar. Went out to celebrate my sister's birthday on Wednesday and had a little too much wine. I wasn't really "hung over", but I just couldnt' run --- supposed to do three, but barely made 2 miles before I called it a day. I lifted as well, but not with the usual enthusiasm, and I decided not to do squats since I am still sore from Tuesday. I need to get my diet in order, I chowed wednesday on really good (BAD) bread and pasta. I knew I blew it so ended up having desert as well.... What a bad attitude! Its not PMS (yet) so I have been trying to figure out where this case of the "I don't cares" came from?!

I've decided that I have to commit to something SO we go on vacation Sept 7 and I want to be 4 lbs down. That's not too much to ask for and if I can get myself back on track, I know I will feel so much better. I think I can lose the weight on 16oo cals so that is my fitday goal! Wish me luck!

JUNO - congrats on the move. I am sure you're happy to have it behind you. Routine will be yours in just one more week!!!!
STEPH - stick with your plan - You can do it!! Glad you've got some breaks before the rigors of fall roll in. I am already thinking about Christmas too --- you're not alone....
JUSTY - GOOD JOB with the loss this week. I know its got to make you feel terrific. Keep up the good work!!!!

DD2 is SCREAMING.... So much for the nice long afternoon nap.... drag!

CIAO!

Absmom
Old 08-26-2003, 03:32 AM   #19  

I am beginning to wonder when life will settle into a routine again? the past week has been nuts. DH and I went for a brisk walk tonight after dinner - but I have not been to the club in weeks, certainly not since I have been back. I'm still feeling slim in my clothes and will just figure that walking and adrenaline and schedule overload are a good semblance of a fitness plan.

Okay, when I last checked in I returned home to the new house on Wednesday night. My basket sideline business has a big event we do every year as a fundraiser for breast cancer research and awareness, naturally this was yesterday! I was really stressing trying to find all my materials and loose ends plus contact a lot of people in the chaos that is my garage. Once I was there it was really fun, but oh the timing!

I would love to getaway for a spa for about a week with you 5%-ers. Wouldn't that be fabulous? Fitness, relaxation and margarita break.

School starts day after tomorrow. I have never wanted it to start so badly, just so I can get a routine going around here! Yes, I'm sure I will kvetch about the driving schedule and the sleep schedule and the homework schedule...

I saw one of my body pump buddies at the breast cancer event. In summer it seems a lot of people aren't as regular, herself included. I'm about ready to go and get sore again! I plan to do a lot more walking and less on the elliptical because I honestly feel it is more effective. I'll keep the elliptical (AKA the buffer) and the bike as variety enhancers, but will rely more on the treadmill in winter.

Can't wait to hear how each and every one of you are doing - keep the faith and be 5%

Juno
Old 08-26-2003, 10:28 AM   #20  

Happy Tuesday!

Feeling kind of fresh today. Hope that translates into a good workout and a patient kind of day. I have been trying to get myself together - figure out what I am doing health-wise, setting managable goals, being honest about my needs and how to balance it all with family/relationships...

It's funny, but I think the thing I miss most is having a real girlfriend --- someone closeby, who shares similar interests, easy to talk to, fun to be around. I have lots of friends - college, highschool, army, life... but none are close, none who share "my life" as it is at the moment. I've met people through my kids, at the Y, but just haven't "clicked". I want something more in common than the fact that we've procreated and choose to work at home... I guess I'll just have to keep looking....

Training has slumped somewhat... My official running group starts next Thursday, so I feel as though I've given myself persmission to slack off until then... I am still running, but not sticking to the schedule... didn't put in a long run this week (4 miles), and yesterdays "run" was more like a walk.... Oh yeah, it was a walk with a smathering of half-hearted sprints... Today is a 2 mile run and weight lifting. I am going to try and work a little harder....

I am striving to reach the balance that you - Juno - and Steph have reached with regard to exercise, family, food... Judging where you are ---not by the number of times you've formally worked out, but by how you feel and reacting to that... Being able to go for a walk without a schedule dictating that it is what you should be doing, but reacting to what your body needs at a given moment. That you can maintain good health without a gym membership or weight watchers...

Do we ever really establish routines? Isn't true that we all talk about getting a schedule, getting back to a routine -- but do we ever really live in one? Life is always changing. We look back and think that our life or schedules were regimented - but were they? I decided to focus on just preventing chaos, rather than achieve that perfect life routine I keep thinking I want... Perhaps it will be more managable....

DD1 starts preschool next week I know it's so cliche, but I can't believe how fast she's grown up....

And now DD2 is up from her nap.... Boy I was a rambler today... The start of school, whether you're in it or not, seems to signal renewal for everyone. I hope you're feeling it!

Absmom
Old 08-26-2003, 02:08 PM   #21  

I know the teachers in our district our just back to work this week setting up their classes but if they would open the doors up right now I would be so much happier!!! I was going to just hop on quickly but Absmom made me want to type! Gee aren't you all lucky. The baby is still asleep so we will see how far I get.

Routine??? That is the one thing that I strive for but I almost have to prepare myself mentally for the changes that each season brings. Besides their sports, my interests, DH's work, trips......nothing quite works out like I plan. I plan my errands for only one or two times per week and I get them all done. We drag the family for the shopping and eat out while we hit 3 or 4 stores. The less times I have to run errands during the week - the more organized my life is. I live off of lists and I tend to freak when my lists are messed up or my plans!! Pathetic.

Poor Abs - sad that your DD1 is starting preschool. I will be doing backflips and cartwheels when my youngest heads off to kindergarten. He is just into terrorizing me so I think he needs to get away from his mother. All day kindergarten would be better but I will half to suffer with half day. Now when C & A started, I was melancholy. I think I am looking forward to the fact that all my kids will be schoolage. Kind of means more possibilities for me

I feel slumpy I am up that 4 pounds I had lost and kept off and boy now at this weight I just hate how I feel. I must admit Juno that often I couldn't picture how when you got down close to your goal how a few pounds could make a difference but I was happy a few weeks ago with my weight and I don't know what I am doing wrong. I think it is the end of summer, kids on my nerves, switching my exercise to evenings.....a whole bunch of things. I will just have to work through it and survive!!!

I had so many good friends in IL but up here I have many acquaintance friends and one really good friend. However I work during the day and she does not so that has made a big difference in our friendship this past year. All the rest of my buddies live far away and I would have to say they aren't at my part of life either. In all honesty I tend to hang out with my husband quite a bit which is just fine except you know they aren't great with the feedback stuff. I tend to call my sister or do phone stuff to get the girl pumping I need. I have not clicked with any daycare provider I met except one that I do like but she quit daycare last year so there went that! I am going to try some meetings this year but I tend to find them a grumpy sort. Sad but true.

Okay now I will quit rambling. Weather is hot and humid but should be gone by tomorrow. I have biked, done Tae Bo, and tried a new yoga tape to get rid of the annoyed feeling I have. I think I just need school to start!!

Happier Wednesday

Steph
Old 08-28-2003, 08:53 AM   #22  

Hi All!

The last hoorah of summer this weekend with the county fair... Love this time of year. My dad and his wife still like to hit the circuit -- entering their honey and setting up a display for their coal stove business. We'll head out saturday with the girls to hook up with them, ride some rides, see the animals.... If the weather holds up it should be fun.

Steph - I too have been some what "slumpy" for the past few weeks. I attribute it to slacking off in my workouts --- just showing up is not enough --- and not paying attention to what I put in my mouth is just asking for trouble on the weight front. I want to be 5lbs down before vacation (3 weeks) and while I knowits possible, I keep doubting my resolve. I wish their was a little motivation pill we could take to help snap out of this...

I will press on and try to make a few changes... it really is in our hands... Well, DD 2 is dragging her pool float around the dining room and I sense she will be smashing her head on something very soon if I don't intervene...

I WILL WRITE DOWN WHAT I EAT TODAY - That and going to the gym for a 3 mile run is my goal.... Happy Thursday !!!!

ABSMOM
Old 09-02-2003, 10:18 AM   #23  

Holiday is over ---- Where is everyone? I am feeling fresh, renewed and ready to conquer the world! Maybe not that good, but its nice to be in a place where we can set a new routine... I start my 1/2 marathon group tomorrow morning.... I'm a little anxious, but psyched to get my workout done by 7 am, so I can get the shopping done early and be home for a day... I've got a lot of projects plannned and hope to accomplish the brunt during dd2's afternoon naptime. I've started (again) to write down what I eat and if I have a good - low - week, coupled with some good cardio, I should make it to my goal before vacation in two weeks...

Can we all say a little prayer that hurricane "FABIAN" stays far out to sea... Our OuterBanks trip is a key piece of my sanity puzzle for the fall....

Hope all of you are doing 5%!

Ciao@
Absmom
Old 09-02-2003, 09:35 PM   #24  

I meant to post a few times this weekend but just never actually sat in front of the computer long enough ( a good thing!). Today my laptop is just acting up and I'm not sure what is wrong and this is where all my passwords are....guess I better transfer them to my "real" computer because that is what I had for most of the day. DH was too tired to deal with laptop dilemna!

Speaking of tired...I need to get up and climb under the sheets too. I have filled out all those forms that show up on the first day of school and must be back right away!! Done all my "My Name is...for the kids", found all the required pictures. I think this should all be one task per week when they start. Oh well - my day was peaceful so I guess a night of paperwork must be the result!!

I started a program with myself on Sunday and am going to try very hard to meet my goals by the end of Sept. How are you doing with yours Abs??? I know that vacation is just creeping up on you and I hope that Fabian is slipping away!!!! I am not a lover of hurricanes so I wish them all away.

Exercise, portion control and pushing myself harder are the themes for the month. I usually have good Fall success rather than summer. Summer just never seems to be my eat less thing...I tend to not gain at the holidays because I am home vs. getting all the office treats. One perk of being here with these little creatures all day!

I have to let the dogs out one more time and go do the routine so I can read and have some peace time! Hopefully I can write more during the week - the baby is sleeping during naptime so that means my hands are free!

Steph
Old 09-04-2003, 08:48 AM   #25  

Hi All!
Hi Steph! Your plan for the month seems to be right in sync with mine -- Let's do it ... I met with my running group for the first time yesterday. I was surprised to find that most were already runners - the only other woman besides the trainer has finished 3 marathons.... She doesn't like to run alone and just moved to the area. Needless to say, I was a bit intimidated - but I ran SLOW and finished - 3.2 miles... We have to do a longer run Saturday - 5 miles and I've enlisted my sister to be my partner for that one. I don't know why the mileage scares me so... Why sign up for a 1/2 marathon if you are daunted by running so far??? A personal mystery. I just hope to stick with the group til the end. AND like my sister says... If you can't run the whole 13.1 miles - walk! That's the plan.

As far as my eating goes, I've been writing down my food - and I've started the new WW plan... I'm not going to meetings - just came up with an arbitrary point total for me and added in the new 35 free points for the week. I am still shooting for 5lbs down by vacation. Between the new eating plan and the running, I should be able to do it!

Well, DD2 is getting into everything.... She'll be walking any day .... Gotta go before they take my 'mom' card!

Hope all the missing are doing well - Juno PW Justy! Check in let us know that you're still 5%!

Absmom
Old 09-04-2003, 05:06 PM   #26  

We can share the energy for our goals this month Abs!! However you might need it more since I run 10 miles in a week. I am doing good this week and hope that everyone else is having a strong week. I have gotten in all my workouts the past 3 weeks but this week I am pushing myself because I am going to meet my goal. Even my DH is being supportive of food choices...yeah!!

Gotta run - busy as always!

Steph
Old 09-04-2003, 06:01 PM   #27  

life is insane, can't even do a decent post. It is going great thougn and I have a lot to share once I can catch my breath and write something. DEFINITELY 5% here.

Juno
Old 09-05-2003, 10:03 AM   #28  

Hello !

Thanks for cking in Juno- glad that with the busy life you're leading right now, things are going well.

Steph - you sound determined.... I am feeding off of your energy. One week to go before vacation - can I lose 5 lbs? I can.... If I do what I keep saying I am going to do...

Ran yesterday - fast for me. Three miles in 33:40 - not lightning of course, but I really feel like I am making progress in the exercise sector of my life. Today is a rest day and tomorrow its LSD day - long slow distance... Five miles this week, 6 next week, and so on, and so on.... I am really daunted by this race, but I am doing it!

Well, DD2's nap is over.... bummed she's only been in there for 45 minutes.... I have a feeling that we're in phase out mode for the morning nap ....

HAPPY FRIDAY EVERYONE... I'll let you know how the BIG RUN goes!!

Absmom
Old 09-05-2003, 10:21 AM   #29  

Just wanted to check in. Very busy week here but food is still going strong - exercise is okay tho not ideal.

Hope all is well with everyone. Will check in this weekend with a longer post.
Old 09-06-2003, 12:26 PM   #30  

Hi All !

Glad to see that everyone is alive and well.

I had a really great workout this morning - suppose to run 5 miles, but didn't get a chance to map a route yesterday so I just tried to wing it myself and.... ended up running 6.2 miles!! I ran the whole way, up some pretty big hills and didn't feel that tired until the last half mile when the knees started to ache a bit.... I can't tell you how surprised I was with how my body (and mind) made the grade...

I am actually starting to think that a half marathon won't be that bad....

Food wise - not bad, but I need to start keeping better track. I think I was 2 for 5 writing down this week and I had it in mind to start the WW plan this week... Guess it will either be today or tomorrow...

I really hope the mileage will aid in the weight loss this week. Haven't stepped on the scale yet, Monday morning will be the weigh in....we'll see.

Hope all of you are still 5%!

Absmom!
Closed Thread