Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 06:25 PM   #46  

Hi Everyone--

I too had a very indulgent weekend - we had a housewarming party and the theme was Mexican - I made 2 kinds of enchiladas, a bean corn and avocado salad, guacamole and a ginger-peach cheesecake. So I am on damage control right now. I find that eating so much high fat food (let's not even talk about the margaritas!) really affects how I feel overall.

Steph I am so glad you kicked the cold. And..size 7...that is a fabulous accomplishment, girl you are tiny. I applaud getting rid of the big clothes, now you will never look back.

Abs 6 is still a lot of miles in my book! You are my hero of perseverance! I love it that your DDs are little Libras in my birthday zone. Your focus shines through your post.

I have a meeting here tonight so I'm running around getting th ings ready, and DH is out of town so I'm also goingto have to run kids around and pick up work in the 11th hour - yikes! I try to appreciate him all the time, but when he isn't here...I really do!

Back at it ladies. Good look to you in meeting all your goals this week. Me, I'm going to recover from Mexican food, lol!

Juno
Old 10-08-2003, 08:50 AM   #47  

Hi all!

Feeling FAT this week... Up a little on the scale and baffled as to the reasons why? Oh yeah, I ate all I wanted this weekend - good food or not --- Its the calories stupid!!

Ran yesterday, will run today. I am looking forward to being done with the race as it really takes a lot of time and I am feeling a bit frazzled... Lots I am putting off until I am done.

STEPH - YOU GOOOOOO!! Size 7???? Juniors??? That's SO Awesome!!! I can only dream, BUT.... I am comfortable now in my size 14 jeans that i haven't worn in 4 or 5 years... That's progress. Now I just have to keep building on that. I will.

Mexican food is a big weakness for me... Hope you have fully recovered and you're back on track Juno. I have to shop today and the focus will be on following a list, getting good fruits and veggies and then making SOUP for dinner - low cal and filling and watching portions of everything else. Healthy eating for slow steady weight loss!!!!!

Goals for now and the near future will focus on keeping a food journal, watching portion sizes and giving 100% when I exercise - just showing up is NOT good enough!!

Keep doing what you're doing and living 5%!
Ciao!
Absmom
Old 10-10-2003, 01:20 PM   #48  

Hey there 5% Pals!! I was getting on to wish Abs good luck on her race but am pretty sure it is next weekend - the 19th, right??? You are making great progress so keep it up! Remember I had my down week last week so you are certainly entitled to yours. I suppose it doesn't make it great a week before the race but then again it could give you renewed power! The kids ran the mile here at school and I was laughing when one was pouting about her score. I told her that she beat me so that was very good since I have been exercising for a long time. My husband pointed out though that I might run a mile a bit faster outside than on the tread. Someday maybe I will actually time myself!!

Juno - Is the house feeling like home yet?? Hope you have started making great memories. My DH has been getting the bulk of the errand running lately too. I have really enjoyed having very low kid days on Fridays where i can get out to the parks with them and get some errrand running done - I am going to miss that when the new baby comes next month (yeah another one)

C is in for about 5 days so we have a jam-packed bunch of days. One of the kids has hockey evaluations, we have a birthday party, our school has a levy coming up for voting, and next week Mon and Tues look horrible for any type of relaxation. I still have not totally gotten rid of the cold. Everyone around here has had it linger and linger. One baby turned into RSV, and I am hoping mine doesn't turn into a sinus infection. Today I still feel better but I can tell it's not gone. Yesterday in the middle of my workout I had such a bad coughing attack that I had back spasm's. That ended the cardio part!! I only had 5 minutes to go and considered getting back on but then thought how long it took me to calm my body down

Hope everyone has a great weekend !

Steph
Old 10-12-2003, 07:08 PM   #49  

Hi All!
Steph, take care of yourself - you've got alot of people ---- including yourself ---- who need you! My house is also full of sickies! My DH is "DYING" with a cold, and dd2 has a case of Lymes disease... I saw the bite/circle right away, so there were no symptoms other than the ring. She's on antibiotics for 14 days and they think that will take care of it. We've got cats and she's been crawling outside - so I am not that surprised....

Hoping that I'll keep from getting sick for at least another week. I've been sleeping well and eating OK, so if I do fall ill, I hope I'm better before the race. The sisters and I ran 10 miles this morning -- 2 hours, 9 minutes --- slow and steady and made it the whole way. I am sore - don't get me wrong, but I am alot faster, and don't feel as bad as the first time we did this. Heck, in march I couldn't run 10 minutes without stopping....

The race is the 19th, and this week is taper week. 4 miles tuesday, 3 wednesday and 2 Thursday. That's it! 13.1 Sunday morning... THe time commitment of training has really been a killer for me. I much prefered training for the triathlon - different activities and - except for the "Brick" workouts; one hour would usually suffice.... Oh well, we're in the home stretch.

Juno! Hope the house is just dandy... Nice that you're able to get some one on one time with the dds... My DH is out of town Tues - Friday... Its OK until bedtime.... a little crazy for just one tired Mom!

Happy Columbus Day!
Absmom
Old 10-15-2003, 10:19 AM   #50  

Oh Absmom - your committment is so wonderful and I am so proud of how far you've come before the race!!!! I found it hard to find the initial 30/40 minutes when I started working out much less train for a half-marathon when my kids were little. Even now with them older, I just don't have that much time to dedicate to exercise and be happy with all the other things I have to do. Good job for you in making your body and goals a priority!

Not much going on here. I am trying to get rid of my sinus infection before my doctor appt. on Fri. where I will be begging for antiobiotics if I can't kick it. I'm not stuffed up but I am so tired and have headaches which for me is how they always are until I end up at the ENT with a throat full of infection.

All the kids have off the next 3 days so my house is loud. Baby needs bottle - have a good rest of week!!

Steph
Old 10-15-2003, 11:29 AM   #51  

Good morning all, I am really SO overdue for a long and thoughtful post. Alas, this will not be the day!

Life is good, though with the fighting of a cold some of my sterling choices of late have slipped a bit (there IS medicinal properties to chocolate, I just know it!) - But overall things are still fine. You forget. We found some photos of me from around 10 years ago and I was definitely a more stout presence then - even with the aging of 10 years I believe I look a lot better now.

Okay that's me.

Steph don't do the chocolate cure like I did. Okay, just a little might help lol. Being under the weather really thwarts the exercise and will, but I can hear your permanent changes in your post. Yesterday I was lamenting my lack of energy and then - d-oh! - I realized I needed to get to the club and MAKE some.

Abs you are so my hero. Thanks, the house is wonderful! Your training and dedication is really going to pay off big for you, and I'm hoping for photos again from the next big race. And I hope the sick bugs leave your family alone! And stay away from YOU!

This weekend I have a lot going on in my basket business, a couple of shows and then my annual Open House on Sunday - with all my regular work plus kid chauffeuring going on as I plan all this. It will be really fun, and a focus that I need to make for a few days - but you are in my mind and heart.

Hope you survive the extra days off today Steph. My kids have Friday off and the clinics are closed as well - yessss!

Be strong today!

Juno
Old 10-15-2003, 01:16 PM   #52  

P.S. I hope everyone has taken note of the People Best and Worst Dressed issue - as usual Kelly Osbourne with a full page of her style offerings and a big thumbs-up from the fashionistas!

Wha?
Old 10-16-2003, 09:04 AM   #53  

Good morning....

We had quite a storm here in Mass... Looking out the window as I type, I can see all of our seat cushions strewn across the lawn and the kids pool nearly at my neighbors... Wonder what else I will find when I go outside....

A little distraught - our favorite cat, Ken, has been gone missing for 2 days. Its not the first time, but as the nights get colder I really miss him around my feet --- especially with dh gone for the week. OH, I do have a cold -- yippee--.

I could barely run three miles yesterday, wondered why I had so little energy after sleeping a full 9 hours... And then last night it hit -- coughing, up, and woozy this morning. I have 3 days to get myself well. I am running no matter what!

Don't worry Juno - Pictures of the grand event will be plastered all over the place ! I AM proud of myself - I NEVER thought I could do something like this FOR Real... You know, you always have these "wish" goals or the "when I lose weight" goals, but doing the "LET's Just DO IT Now!" thing is working much better for me...

Steph, I hope you are able to get things back on track soon. I have a hard enough time dealing with my own dds when I am feeling less than 100%! I don't know how you do it!!

That's it - I am off to start the day!

Cheers!
Absmom

Ps --- Now that the Osbornes are history (the show) I will bet Kelly's fifteen minutes will be over.... Really!!!!
Old 10-18-2003, 04:30 PM   #54  

Absmom - GOOD LUCK!!! I CAN'T YELL IT LOUD ENOUGH!!!!

GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO

All of our thoughts and strength will be running with you!!

I am so proud of you!!!!!!!! I hope you have fun too!

Wishing you great weather for the half-marathon and extra energy!

Steph
Old 10-19-2003, 04:41 PM   #55  

Hi All!

Thanks Steph for the very cheery talking bananas!!!!! A big inspiration !!!!

WOW - I have never been so happy to have something be over! It's done. My sister and I ran a half marathon!! We were not first by a long shot and luckily we were not last... although there were only 3 that finished after us. Phew!! It was a lot more grueling than I ever thought possible. The temp this a.m. was the coldest this fall (20s/30s) and hovered just above 40 during the race and threatened to rain the whole way --- although aside from a few sprinkles we escaped! We had matching outfits (we thought we at least deserved new state of the art shirts and jackets to try to keep warm/dry) and we had an awful lot of photos taken so I am sure something came out... I'll share as soon as they're up. Our goal was to finish in under three hours --- 2:47 which included 2 emergency potty breaks. We ran all but 6 minutes - the last four miles we took timed walk breaks at each marker.

Mile nine seemed to be where I started to feel it. I was a little cold and for the first time ever, I was nauseas. I felt like if I started throwing up I wouldn't stop - so I spent my running time trying to design the perfect breathing ritual to keep from puking. For my sister it was her knees, and the bathroom issues --- AH STRESS....

My running coach cheered us on at mile 7 and was there at the "almost finish". It was the toughest half mile I ever ran. I really thought we were done "It's just around the corner!!" But NO, it was really around the corner and around the back of this baseball stadium which we entered at left field and ran the warning track all the way to the first base dugout /homeplate area... Can you picture that? Not really "just around the corner".

BUT we are DONE! Done with this race and frankly, by the way I am feeling right now, I think I am finished with being a long distance runner.... I just don't love it! We've decided that we'll work on improving are times for the 10 K and will try to run one before the new year. That's about it.

My breast reduction surgery was approved by the insurance company, so I am trying to decide when to do it. Looks like the week before xmas when people can take time off to help me. NOW I just have to lose 15 more lbs. This will be my new FOCUS and goal!!! IT will be off to the gym tomorrow to swim and soak in the whirlpool... Gosh I am sore!!

Happy 5% Sunday !!! What did you do today????

Cheers!
Absmom
Old 10-20-2003, 08:07 PM   #56  

Excellent post Absmom!! You deserve a nice long reply and more cheers for your great race but I am short on time. I loved reading about your day (race, rain & finale!) Thank you so much for sharing! I am sure you are exhausted today.

I will write more later this week when I can actually type (I keep deleting all my mistakes because I am in a rush)

You have done something remarkable Absmom and I am very impressed!!

Steph
Old 10-21-2003, 12:49 PM   #57  

Hi All!

Abs I am truly inspired. I have never taken on anything that grueling and challenging - you should really savor those bragging rights! Things are really moving, and I am happy for you being approved for the surgery. It is a big step - this is one kind of surgery that I applaud as it can really help with someone's life and is about much more than vanity. I am starting to think we will see you in a magazine some day, but wait - she's ours!

What was your favorite thing about doing the race? (Besides that it ended LOL!) What would you do differently? Is training for an Event better than training for fitness?

Steph I hope all is well in your house again and that your life continues at its positive pace. Do you and DH ever talk about an Alaskan visit? How is C doing this year - she is getting into her higher teen years, no? It won't be long before she is on her own, an amazing thought.

Me? Well I had a great Open House on Sunday for my basket business. About the time Absmom was gunning the home stretch, I was slicing my famous ginger peach cheesecake. Er. Yesterday I believe I grazed way too much on party leftovers - if I didn't overdo the calories, then I definitely underdid on nutrition. Fortunately it was a blip - the sweets are all frozen for a future event and I sent the chips in to work with DH. Today I am going to rely on true structure to get myself back to the good. I'm also going to try to make it to Body Pump, so after my hello here I will be typing like a demon.

I'm still walking down to pick up little DD except when the weather is nasty, then I just drive down. That guarantees a half hour walk (the first half is a bit more brisk than the second half, as you can imagine) even when the day gets carried away. It's also a good one on one talking time for her - age almost 11 (January) - she has a lot on her mind. The club is at this point about a twice-weekly event - and that is NOT enough now that the weather is turning. So send me energy to make it in there!

Another thing I really need to do is dust off my videos and just get up there and use them! In my old house there was just the (small) living room and no real private place to 'do' a video, so I never really utilized them too much. But in this house, the VCR is upstairs in the family room, where there is room and relative privacy. I got a bunch of tapes from ebay last year and a couple of them I have never used. So - I am going to make it a mini goal to do a tape before the week is out and see if I can cultivate that as an option for when the club doesn't work out.

My parents arrive next Monday for a week. They will see the new house for the first time and will be here with the kids for Halloween - I'm really looking forward to it. I need to do some Steph-level planning so I can relax while they are here.

On a sad note, a boy in our town was killed yesterday when he was hit by a truck - the boy was on his bike and was not wearing a helmet, and died of head injuries. Helmets, helmets, helmets. Our town is so sad, and I know the boy's grandma.

Fitness and health help us through everything. Keep it up my friends and share what you are doing. What are the best tapes? Maybe I will start a brand new trend for myself?

Juno
Old 10-22-2003, 09:57 AM   #58  

Good morning! - well, it could be better... I pulled my back this morning picking up dd2. It's something I do at least once (good) a year and this is it... Wow, am I in some pain... heat/cold and naproxin. I have to wait for bedtime to take a flexeril --- that knocks me out... I know I'll feel better in a few days.... How can something unseen hurt SO bad!.... Enough - more ammo for the breast surgery...

I am big on the diet / eating healthy kick now and hope to drop some serious weight in the next eight weeks. The idea of being cut is enough to make me lose my appetite. I am psyched to be having this done, but more nervous than I ever thought now that its FOR REAL...

I know I have to take it easy at the gym this week - withthe back thing - but I am signing up for pilates and will start spinning next week. Running will be cut back to one or 2 work outs a week. I'm a little burnt out with the running... The most fun about the race was running with my sister/ training. We work very well together and are both very focused when we have goals in mind. The three of us are going to do the Danskin Triathlon again next summer and I look forward to March when we'll start up the group once again.

For now, I'll explore some new things and just try to maintain the fitness level I am at right now. I know it can only get better with a few more pounds gone...

Here's to you Juno with the tapes. I really gave it the college try last winter, but never managed to make it through a whole workout with any enthusiasm. For me I need the club atmosphere or a buddy or a looming half marathon. I did see a show this morning that looked interesting. It was called "INHALE". Power yoga on the Oxygen channel. I know you're not a TV person, but if you see it on tape at the library, I'd say its worth a look!

Sorry to hear about that boy in your town. My dd1 doesn't get on her bike without a helmet and neither do I. Safety equipment was really pushed a few years ago, but it seems that some parents are slacking off. Lots of preteens ride their stunt bikes through my neighborhood sans helmets --- Not good.

Well, Steph, I hope that you are feeling better and will soon have time to check in with some news. I am going to stand up (that's a lot) and try to slowly get a few things done. Please send good healthy back vibes this way!!!

Ciao!
Absmom
Old 10-24-2003, 09:32 AM   #59  

I'm back. I tried so hard to get on this week but just never had time to actually write anything. My e-mail correspondence has gone on decline too. There were so many people I was trying to keep up with and now I am great about family but some other people are getting the very rare e-mail. There just isn't enough time to do everything!! I am playing the Powerball tonight just because it is $190M. Never play but hey a couple bucks invested when it gets this high is well worth it.

Absmom - Once again, that was such a wonderful e-mail telling all about your day. I wish I had your dedication to any type of exercise. I have never had that ambition. I dream of doing great athletic things but then the training would just never get done. I'm lazy I love exercising now but with limits. I like doing it but don't love getting tough which is where I would like to go. I really would love to hire a trainer or something for a bit or go to a club and take classes but I just don't have that time. During the day just fits in my schedule for the next two years. I might be unleashed when I break out of working at the house

Juno -So you actually put a TV in your house???? I know you used to keep it out in the garage or something. I love workout tapes but there are many bad ones out there. I am into waiting on long lists at the library to try things before buying them. I rented The Method with J. Kries?? and The Stott tapes for Pilates. I really liked The Method and did not like the Stott tape. So that was good to know. I am going to look up stuff on E-bay. Can you believe that I have never e-bayed in my life?? I've done Amazon, E-Toys and a few misc. things here and there on the internet but most of my stuff is still shopped.

I am feeling better only because I finally gave up trying to kick this germ by myself and am on antibiotics. This just happens every fall. I think that the germs just collect throughout the year and I just get such a nasty collection that when I get a cold in the fall - it won't go away. I am only 3 pills into the bottle and feel like a new woman. Every year I say that I will go in earlier but the problem is the Dr's need it to be a long cold before they will help. I looked up augmentin on the internet and was appalled at the price so I guess I will just have to wait these things out every fall.

I have been lame in the exer and food dept. but I will blame it on the blahs associated with the sinus/resp. infection. I already ate healthy this morning knowing that I am on my way to feeling better.

So life is fine - sorry I've been a whiner this year but let me tell you that I usually don't feel like things aren't going my way so I am not used to throwing up my hands all the time which is how I am this year. DH and I talked it all out the other day and I was just venting about everything and I think that was good because we both realized there is nothing we can do about most of it and we just need to ride the storm out and hope for the best outcome.

That was the end of my typing time. I hope you guys all have a great weekend. I will be starting my exercise tomorrow on Sat. vs. waiting for the weekend. I need a boost!!

Steph
Old 10-27-2003, 08:41 AM   #60  

Hey Steph!

Glad to hear that you are feeling more like yourself. I can imagine with all the kids in your house that you probably catch everything - or that you have one heck of an immune system!! With DD1 in nursery school and me using the child watch at the gym, poor dd2 has been sick with colds or ??? most of her short year of life! I guess that's how it goes with #2....

I have been BLAH for some reason myself. I think its my back... I pulled it again this morning - same muscle - same pain... I just want it to go away!!! I have started up my committment to writing things down - including my exercise regime in hopes of encouraging a better weight loss. I have stayed the same for the past 3 weeks, which is NOT acceptable since my surgery is in 7 SHORT weeks. Sometimes I think the stress of this upcoming event is responsible...but then I think it's just a convenient excuse. I will get it together this week! On an up note, I've been getting compliments on my weight loss. Finally its noticable! I also put on a pair of jeans for the first time in 4 years --- and they're actually comfortable! Its SO SLOW, but as I look back over the year I feel good about what I've accomplished in the last year - Had a baby, lost 20+ lbs, did a Triathlon, ran a half Marathon... not bad....

Focus on the positive...... Juno - I hope that you are creating a great workout space in your family room and manage to carve out that precious time for yourself! It's just as much for your family as it is for you!!

And now I am off to the gym!!! Happy Monday!

Absmom
Closed Thread