Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 05:05 PM   #121  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/115

Hey Girls,

I'm so sad. I'm a member of a forum that is made up of mostly Black women and a discussion about weight came up. I could tell by the pictures in the avatars that most of the women commenting on the subject were overweight. Several of the women pointed out that a size 14 is now the average size for women in the US and another member pointed out how bad that is considering that Black women in the US have an average height of 5ft 4in (and shrinking, according to one study).

Instead of the women on the forum pointing out that many of us could benefit form exercise and a healthy diet, most of the women just defended being overweight as "Black women's build or shape". It was so discouraging. Since when being overweight or obese count as the norm for Black women? I wanted to point out that being overweight or obese is NOT the norm for Black women. When I went to the Ivory Coast, the majority of the women were shapely, yet still lean. I hate to see other Black women fall into the trap of thinking it's OK to be overweight when being overweight or obese is something that is majorly affecting the health of Black women in this country.

*end of rant*
Old 07-21-2009, 12:25 PM   #122  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

Good afternoon ladies!

How is everyone's week going? I am down five lbs
since getting back on the wagon. I had a personal training session and I have a plan that has really been working great for me so I still have 23more lbs to lose to get back to where 220 where I was before falling on the wagon but at least im back in it.........
Old 07-21-2009, 10:46 PM   #123  
a.k.a. Bikini Bottom

S/C/G: see siggy!

Height: 5'10 - tall girls rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abielle View Post
Hey Girls,

I'm so sad. I'm a member of a forum that is made up of mostly Black women and a discussion about weight came up. I could tell by the pictures in the avatars that most of the women commenting on the subject were overweight. Several of the women pointed out that a size 14 is now the average size for women in the US and another member pointed out how bad that is considering that Black women in the US have an average height of 5ft 4in (and shrinking, according to one study).

Instead of the women on the forum pointing out that many of us could benefit form exercise and a healthy diet, most of the women just defended being overweight as "Black women's build or shape". It was so discouraging. Since when being overweight or obese count as the norm for Black women? I wanted to point out that being overweight or obese is NOT the norm for Black women. When I went to the Ivory Coast, the majority of the women were shapely, yet still lean. I hate to see other Black women fall into the trap of thinking it's OK to be overweight when being overweight or obese is something that is majorly affecting the health of Black women in this country.

*end of rant*
Very well put. I totally agree with you! A lot of the time what they call "curves" is actually really called "fat" and I know this because I was full of those same curves a year ago.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:22 PM   #124  
Angelina/Gerard is Love

S/C/G: 291.8/286.8/199

Height: 5'4 1/2

I GOT THE APARTMENT!
Old 07-22-2009, 11:17 AM   #125  

S/C/G: 183/177/160

Height: 5'2"

To all of my FB friends forgive me for yo having to hear this again....

I got egnaged this weekend! He proposed on the beach, on one knee, in front of ppl, with almost a 2 carat ring (center stone is 1.25). Ahhhhhhh

Okay ya'll screaming over. we are planning for September 2010. It sucks though cause he did it saturday and we are having a consult with the planner on this upcoming saturday but we found yesterday that he has to go to Pasagoula next week for three months. WTF! But anyway he gets to come home every two weeks. But I am looking at as atime to thoroughly clean my house, stay POP, and look for dresses. I am soooo excited though. After he proposed he wisked me away for the most romanitc weekend ever. We ate at Ruth's Chris and stayed at the Hilton garden Inn. Awesome. Needless to say I did not stay OP this weekend. BUT I'M BACK!

Abielle _ i totally agree with your post. it is true that much of our curves that we think are curves turns out to just be fat.

Sass - Wow you are awesome. Clean eating is very good ( I try but I always fall after a mointh or so and then I try again!). I wanna know what you think about WW if no one else minds. that is the plan I currently follow.

Matilda - WTG on working out and staying on track

Jasonslea - CONGRATULATIONS ony our apartment. I know you are so excited!!!!!

Candtlove - it so funny cause I have been right at goal for a while. and I have been too lazy, comfy, busy (whatever you wnt to call it) to kick it into to high gear and get rid of the last 6 lbs. I need a butt-kicking. That is why I am so excited about the challenge

Brie - Speaking of the challenge I will be using thursdays WI (coming up) Cause I KNOW i gained this weekend!

Chavwright - YAY 10 pounds GONE WTG. That always feels so good.

Beaka - I am scared too. Are gone from the A yet?
Old 07-22-2009, 12:13 PM   #126  
a.k.a. Bikini Bottom

S/C/G: see siggy!

Height: 5'10 - tall girls rule!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeBatter View Post

I got egnaged this weekend! He proposed on the beach, on one knee, in front of ppl, with almost a 2 carat ring (center stone is 1.25). Ahhhhhhh
CONGRATS GIRLY!!! You must be walking on the moon right now. Enjoy this moment in your life. Feels good to be in love doesn't it??

I'm sorry...I have no opinion of WW. I tried it a couple times in the past and it didn't work for me because of certain reasons. I'll just leave it at that.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:02 PM   #127  
I luv my curves

Quote:

Okay ya'll screaming over. we are planning for September 2010. It sucks though cause he did it saturday and we are having a consult with the planner on this upcoming saturday but we found yesterday that he has to go to Pasagoula next week for three months. WTF! But anyway he gets to come home every two weeks. But I am looking at as atime to thoroughly clean my house, stay POP, and look for dresses. I am soooo excited though. After he proposed he wisked me away for the most romanitc weekend ever. We ate at Ruth's Chris and stayed at the Hilton garden Inn. Awesome. Needless to say I did not stay OP this weekend. BUT I'M BACK!

Abielle _ i totally agree with your post. it is true that much of our curves that we think are curves turns out to just be fat.

Sass - Wow you are awesome. Clean eating is very good ( I try but I always fall after a mointh or so and then I try again!). I wanna know what you think about WW if no one else minds. that is the plan I currently follow.

Matilda - WTG on working out and staying on track

Jasonslea - CONGRATULATIONS ony our apartment. I know you are so excited!!!!!

Candtlove - it so funny cause I have been right at goal for a while. and I have been too lazy, comfy, busy (whatever you wnt to call it) to kick it into to high gear and get rid of the last 6 lbs. I need a butt-kicking. That is why I am so excited about the challenge

Brie - Speaking of the challenge I will be using thursdays WI (coming up) Cause I KNOW i gained this weekend!

Chavwright - YAY 10 pounds GONE WTG. That always feels so good.

Beaka - I am scared too. Are gone from the A yet?

Congrats congrats!!!!! Thats such wonderful news lots of luck
Old 07-22-2009, 01:04 PM   #128  
I luv my curves

Jasonslea- Congrats on your apartment!
Old 07-22-2009, 02:25 PM   #129  
last time

S/C/G: 228/see ticker/168

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
most of the women just defended being overweight as "Black women's build or shape". It was so discouraging. Since when being overweight or obese count as the norm for Black women? I wanted to point out that being overweight or obese is NOT the norm for Black women.
overweight and obese is definitely not the norm for black women. yes we have always been shapely but i think fast food, chain restaurants and the overabundance of processed unhealthy cheap foods are why we are currently overweight and obese. i look at my mom, aunts and women from the prior decades and most were a healthy weight! this is an epidemic we are facing and some people just dont get it. we are dying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matilda08 View Post
Good afternoon ladies!

How is everyone's week going? I am down five lbs
congrats girlie! keep it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLea View Post
I GOT THE APARTMENT!
yay for you!! independence, freedom yessss!

CAKE - Congrats again Girl!!!! Just PM Me your new starting weight!

speaking of which...all starting weights if you want to be in the challenge are due july 24th by midnight!!

we may be small but we are mighty!!!

as for me i have a lot on my mind. i really need to find a job that will pay well and give me benefits and i would love to move back to stl to start school but i decided too late and may have to wait till january. idk. i just want to move forward. i decided i am going to take the credits to become a registered dietitian and i am working on my PT certifications. so it will all work out i know i just wish it would work out faster lol.

on a good note i have been following this weeks challenge and doing my 5 things everyday! hopefully i will drop a large number this WI!

that was long ttys
Old 07-22-2009, 09:38 PM   #130  
Age Quod Agis

S/C/G: 184/177/134

Height: 5'5.5''

Quote:

cakie!!!
Old 07-23-2009, 12:13 AM   #131  
A Healthier Me

Cake-CONGRATS!!! I bet that'll be great motivation 4 u

Jasonslea- wtg on yr new place
Old 07-23-2009, 12:35 PM   #132  
I'm changing my life!

Quote:

Congrats on the engagement (and ring! wow!)!!!
Old 07-23-2009, 12:40 PM   #133  
I'm changing my life!

Quote:
Hey Girls,

*end of rant*
You're so right. I think that part of my size has to do with this, too. When I was just beginning to be overweight, I thought I was CUTE--and the boys I dated did, too. If I had got healthy then, I wouldn't be where I am now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLea View Post
I GOT THE APARTMENT!
Congratulations!

Bejeweled, I'll PM you today!
Old 07-24-2009, 09:37 AM   #134  
Chi-town's finest!

S/C/G: 308/302/150

Height: 5'3"

TGIF everybody! I regret not being on here as much as I'd like to, but work and my summer class have me bogged down.

Anywho, just stopping by to congratulate everyone on their many successes and Cake on the engagement! TTYL
Old 07-24-2009, 10:21 AM   #135  

S/C/G: 183/177/160

Height: 5'2"

HEY! Where is the Assorted Chocolates Thread? I can't find it. I was not good yesterday at all. Well I was until last night when I saw the yogurt raisin and graham crackers. *sigh* Today is a new day. And Monday starts our new challenge and I am all stoked about it. Hope you girls day is going great.
Closed Thread