Old 11-11-2008, 05:03 AM   #121  

Hi again! Maybe I'll pop in here now and then, you guys are fast and furious with posts! Wow. I commend you all for your enthusiasm!

Arabella said this:

I recommend that you sit down and just write about what's bothering you for 15 minutes or so. I always find it helps me.

Also, take a few nice, slow, deep breaths from time to time. Just pay attention to the breath coming in and going out of your body.

Do some little thing for yourself that makes you feel better (not our favorite one, of course )

Those words bear repeating, I think. Well spoken.
I find that I am a stress eater. Things go crazy in life, and they will always go crazy that is what life is, a series of roller coaster rides. Writing it out, deep breathing and maybe a relaxing cup of herbal tea and ONE small treat vs. grazing and opening cabinets and grabbing hand fulls of food on the "fly by" as you are fretting and stressed.
Sometimes, amidst a very crazy day, I make myself sit with tea and a small snack and it calms me if I pick up a magazine and page through it. Just the moment of distraction with a tiny bit of food (and I do mean small) are enough to have the breather and then be able to catch my breath and move on.
So, hurrah for breaks and for peace in life!
Take care everyone!
Have a healthy day.
derrydaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:41 AM   #122  

S/C/G: 335.8/335.8/150

Height: 5'6''

Is there room for another person in this group? I like the sounds of this

I will start slow and plan to add some more challenges along the way. My first is to write everything I eat down along with journaling what I am feeling along the way. I am back on track with my eating and exercise but I think the journaling will help me even more.

Here goes:

Journaling challenge (no pauses allowed):
Day one begins

I plan to go back and read about everyone else and their challenges. I want to get to know more people here
econ nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:55 AM   #123  

S/C/G: 354/252/180

Height: 5'5

Well ladies, I'm in for some light exercise today - I have a nasty sinus infection and I'm going to the doctor so hopefully I will get som meds and be back to normal soon!

All this exercise must be doing something to me! Although the scale has not dropped, I can actually start to see some muscle definement where flab used to be - granted, I have to tighten my legs and arms to see it , but still - I'm beginning to actually see muscle - WOW!

I got up early because of this yucky cough and drainage and knocked out some exercising and house purging

So here are my challenges:
Exercise Daily with 1 pause (used) - Day 17
Purge one bag of useless junk/items or clutter each day (2 pauses) - Day 6

Red - You know when I wrote that I would "purge" my house, I thought - "What a terrible word to use on a dieting website" I just couldn't think of a bettwe way to describe what I was doing - cleaning just didn't exactly cut it KWIM! If I piled up all of the needless junk that came out of just my laundry room, it would look like it threw up!

Sassy Aren't meds wonderful! Hope that you mend soon - watch out for dry socket!

dairy -

econ WTG on starting a goal - journaling is the one task that I forget most often - sounds like a great challenge for me to add later!
texscrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:28 AM   #124  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Smile Eleven is like seventh heaven...

Ok, gotta hit the hay. Home late now. Washing, garbage out, food in me! writing here.
I took my training wear to work and got out on a break to the local sports center. Pedaled and did some weight training. Worked up a nice sweat. AND, I didn't even look for any afternoon caffeine. Bizarre! So, clear on all challenges!

Sunshine Challenge (cleaning )
Day 11 completed no pauses allowed
No Booze
Day 7 complete no pauses allowed (started Nov. 5)
No Smoking (Started Nov. 5)
Day 7 complete no pauses allowed (started Nov. 5)
No Sugar
Day 5 complete no pauses allowed (started Nov. 7)
Write-it-down Challenge
Day 1 completed no pauses allowed (started Nov. 11)

tex -- Wow, I'm hearing good stuff about your muscle definition. Fabulous!! Do hope you feel better though. Don't overdo it. Just work out and then rest, but don't overeat...as I say home late here and eating!

As for "purging".... yeah, I was thinking too, what else? Once we get onto a word it's hard to use others. BUT, I looked up other words to use in the thesaurus and here are some substitutes for "purge!"

....throw away, dispose of, adios, chuck, deep six, destroy, discard, dump, eighty-six, eliminate, get rid of, jettison, junk, kiss off, part with, relinquish, scrap, unload,annihilate, blot out, bump off, cast out, discard, discharge, dismiss, dispense with, dispose of, do away with, drive out, eject, eradicate, erase, evict, exclude, expel, exterminate, get rid of, ignore, invalidate, kill, knock out, liquidate, oust, phase out, put out, rub out, shut the door on, slay, stamp out, take out, terminate, waste, wipe out.....

I especially like destroy. Such a finality to it. Jettison is fun, kind of like something being rocketed into space. Cast out has a nice religious ring to it, so does drive out. I can see Moses...well, actually Charlton Heston... casting out pagan worshippers or Jesus in the temple!
What do you like?

econ -- (I am not going to call you nerd! ) welcome to our hopping hot thread! If you can squeeze in tight over here between Arabella and myself, I think we can fit you in. Sounds like a good challenge. I just added it myself. Heh, don't feel pressured to keep adding challenges. One is fine. People like me self are just kinda weird, you know, and like to pile things on. Well, if I can't have another pint or a cig or a bite of some sweet yummy, then, heck, I'll have me another challenge, so there!
Good luck!

derry -- Hi there! Yeah, this place is hopping. Good thing I have my new keyboard. So easy to type with. The picture of you flying past cabinets grabbing handfuls of food is really bizarre! But, what's scarier is that I know just what you're saying! You come in any time now, you hear?

sassy -- Very glad to hear the wisdom teeth extraction went well. I don't know why you had them out either, but, oh well, let's not go there. It's done. Look forward to hearing your new challenge. Yeah, exercise 3x week doesn't fit the thread parameters, but you could do it as an "extracurricular" and we'll still cheer you on!

redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 12:14 AM   #125  
Sherianne

S/C/G: 207/198/140

Height: 5'3"

I'm baaaack!
Oregon was wonderful and I am on day nine! I went to Walmart and bought several oldie but goodie CDs, you know nostalgia music from my youth, danceable and upbeat. For three days I made up dance aerobics to my favorites and danced my buns off! I kicked the beaver's hind end and tore up his dam, too. And, I did a fine job grading papers and finalizing grades!

All of you have chatted away and so I will have to go back and read posts and make comments tomorrow when I am not so tired. I am going to go take some melatonin and go to bed and hope I sleep through the espresso high I have going! Talk to all of you tomorrow!

Sheri
Quixotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 01:18 AM   #126  
Keep Chuggin'

S/C/G: 166/150/120

Height: 5'1"

Hello All,

YOu guys are doing great on your challenges...

Keren - welcome to the club!

I really need to get some challenges in. Seeing as the only thing I've been doing is reading posts... I need to have some action. I've really been out of it, and my weight and eating issues were surfacing as well.....

How about:
challenge 1: don;t eat garbage. (3 pauses)
miriam101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:24 AM   #127  
Never give up

Wink past mid way on one...

Well, I made it to the gym this morning but it was tough getting there. Just got hit by a wave of depression this morning and the hormones shouldn't be doing this. Strange, very strange. Maybe it was the caffeine. I had a cry (I told you it was weird) and then forced myself to walk to the gym, did some jogging and weight training and worked through the soreness caused by yesterday's training. Full day at work. Lots of walking on the way home. All in all, acceptable. Cleaning was minute but I am taking it.

Day 12 completed no pauses allowed
No Booze
Day 8 complete no pauses allowed (started Nov. 5)
Day 8 complete no pauses allowed (started Nov. 5)
No Sugar
Day 6 complete no pauses allowed (started Nov. 7)
Write-it-down Challenge
Day 2 completed no pauses allowed (started Nov. 11)

Quix -- Welcome back! I am so impressed to see that you kept your challenge going even when you were away from the warmth and comfort of the fold. Wow! Sounds like you are energized. Great to hear. Things have been hopping around here, with some new people joining us since you left. Some old buddies of mine stopped in too. Hope you enjoy the read! See you soon, I hope!

miriam -- And it's good to see you back too! Sounds like you have a good challenge there. I try to stay away from the garbage too. You never know how sanitary it is and it is so easy to get food poisoning, especially on a warm day .....just kidding!!!! Welcome back to the madness!

Last edited by redballoon; 11-12-2008 at 07:25 AM.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:07 PM   #128  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Fly-by report: I'm wiped and have a little bug of some sort or another. Staying OP as far as food goes but easing up on my steps the last couple days. I'll come in and restart as soon as I feel up to a full-on assault again.
Arabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 03:49 PM   #129  

I'm back too!
First off, thanks Red! I'm hoping to...I mean I WILL succeed!
I want to punch in a quote : "Where there's enough motivation to exercise, there's always enough time to exercise." Dean Karnazes said that. He is a dude who runs 1000's and 1000's of miles. I really want to run more. I am going to find a half-marathon to train for. Like, actually sign up for it.
Next, Hi Derry! I remember you from back when. I used to spend a few weeks every summer in NH. Love it there. And you're a quilter, right? Always wanted to make a quilt. It's nice to hear from you again.
Hi Arabella, I am ready to relinquish my crown. I'm NOT starting over this time. I hope you are feeling better soon.
Hello miriam! Good luck with the garbage. That is a good one!
Quix, sounds like you had a nice trip. I used to live in Oregon, it's a great state, something for everyone. Day nine, eh? You are well on your way.
Tex, glad to hear you are seeing results. That's great!
Sassy, hope everything is OK with your mouth!
I'm gonna run, but first an update. My challenges? Well, they are now:
Stretch 10 min a day. 2 pauses allowed. I'm on day 2 for that one. And no beer, I'm on day 3 for that one. 2 pauses allowed.Almost out of the danger zone for that one! Daily salad, start over. 3 pauses allowed.
Have a great day everyone!
Apple Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:15 AM   #130  

S/C/G: 335.8/335.8/150

Height: 5'6''

I like this group and the challenges are right up my alley. I need to come up with some more but I will ease into it so that it is not too overwhelming. I think my next one will be to do crunches every day. I plan to get that started in the next few days.

My current challenge:

Journaling challenge (no pauses allowed):
Day two complete
econ nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 08:41 AM   #131  

S/C/G: 354/252/180

Height: 5'5

Hi everone. Well I completed another day of exercise yesterday, but had to use a pause on my "purge" challenge.

So here are my challenges:
Exercise Daily with 1 pause (used) - Day 18
Purge one bag of useless junk/items or clutter each day (2 pauses, used 1) - Day 6

I am really disgusted this morning. I woke up and the whole world was spinning. I almost fell down 3 times. I'm not sure if my blood sugar was low, but all I could think about was that I couldn't exercise and I'd have to start this thing all over again. Hopefully, I'll feel better through the day and be able to exercise later tonight - if not, Day 1 here I come, again

Anyway, hope all of you are doing well!

red - I think that I like eradicate - That's what I feel like I'm doing - completely eradicating all this junk.

Quix - glad you're back! WTG on sticking with the exercise while you were out of town!

Miriam - I need a no junk challenge too - especially with the Halloween candy bowl still hanging out - I am tossing it all after the weekend - the kiddos only get a few more days of treats before they are gone!
Well, I'm off to lay down for a minute - to everyone else!
texscrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:01 AM   #132  
Never give up

Wink 13 days of doing a little is a LOT!

Day 13 completed no pauses allowed
No Booze
Day 9 complete no pauses allowed (started Nov. 5)
Day 9 complete no pauses allowed (started Nov. 5)
No Sugar
Day 7 complete no pauses allowed (started Nov. 7)
Write-it-down Challenge
Day 3 completed no pauses allowed (started Nov. 11)

tex, sure hope you feel better soon! econ, Apple, Arabella, howdy! Will write tomorrow! Good night!

Old 11-13-2008, 12:05 PM   #133  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Redballoon
Hope you don't mind if I join this challenge.

I'm keeping it very simple
Food---1400 calories
Exercise---30 minutes daily
water------64 oz daily
starting 11/13/08

Last edited by ceejay52; 11-13-2008 at 12:18 PM.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 03:20 PM   #134  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

Well, I'm not really sure that writing every day is a practical goal. I'm finding that my brain is mush after 12- to 14-hour days. Maybe a better approach to writing would be to write a certain amount of time each week, and doing it in a chunk on the weekend give me better results with my book. I've been looking at the quality of the writing, and it feels like wasted time and energy because I'm just having to rewrite what I write when I'm exhausted. I'm thinking about switching my challenge, doing something that seems more practical to do every day.
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 06:38 PM   #135  
Never give up

Smile holding steady....

Morning all. Just having my morning oatmeal here. It's not purple today as it's just oats and amaranth with the usual dried cranberries, blueberries and raisins. Yum!
I totally forgot about the cleaning challenge last night and it surprised me when I came home. I quick did a little something and was proud of myself. As I said, though the things I do late at night after a very long day are small, they nonetheless add up and, more importantly, they are raising my awareness. Also, they absolutely never, ever would have gotten down without this challenge.
But my weight fell a little today! Yippee! My gut...yes, I said gut... is like jelly now, which is gross but means it'll be leaving soon if I can just keep things up. The absence of booze and sugar coupled with exercise is always what gets it off for me. The trick is keeping it off, isn't it?

ceejay -- Love to have you aboard. Welcome!! You say you're "keeping it simple," but it sure doesn't sound easy. Best of luck!

Ufi -- Only you can know what works best for you. Perhaps saying you'll write earlier in the day would work, no? However, rewriting is often easier than writing. In fact, everything needs to be rewritten over and over again anyhow, so you may still be ahead of the game.

tex -- How are you doing? Sure hope you're feeling better and didn't have to redo your challenge. I'm sure none of us would call foul if you added another pause to your challenge.

econ -- Glad you like us! Stick with the journaling. There's no rush. You can be doing the other thigns without making them an official challenge.

Apple -- Sounds like you're motivated again! Hurrah! I think committing to a run is a great idea. Perseverance to you!