Old 11-08-2008, 08:44 AM   #106  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Smile Well, then... back from my run and ...

Red, My Dove! Have a blissful night.

Last edited by Arabella; 11-08-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Arabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 12:33 PM   #107  

S/C/G: 230/179/150

Height: 5'7"

hey guys, just been hit by the emotional roller-coaster these last few days. So I got off track, and didn't work out or do much of anything on Wed, or Thurs. but sit on the couch. Friday, worked for 3/4 day, still depressed b/c I started a new office and it is so old and out of date, and even though I could buy it cheap (what i've been looking for for a couple of years), it requires so much money and upgrades and I've done that before, I know how long that takes, and then no revenues for awhile to support the loans and improvements, so I would probably put that off and work in that crappy place being frustrated for a long time before even the improvements could start.

and that's not even the emotional turmoil going on at home, and the self-destructive behavior that follows that, and blah,blah,blah.

Oh well, just feeling really down now. I haven't worked out since Tuesday, I am trying to get dressed now and go to the gym. I just don't feel like it. But I can't waste this whole week-end just lying around.

I've been exchanging a couple of emails with a friend and just got into a whole bunch of stuff, it really opened up a vein, and so much I try to ignore or deny has just risen to the surface. I guess I needed to bring it out of the closet and examine it in detail under the light. But so far, I'm not feeling any better about it, yet.

sorry for the downer. Good luck to everyone, sounds like some have really got it going again!
modcat44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 01:41 PM   #108  

Hey, Modcat, sorry you're feeling down. I recommend that you sit down and just write about what's bothering you for 15 minutes or so. I always find it helps me.

Also, take a few nice, slow, deep breaths from time to time. Just pay attention to the breath coming in and going out of your body.

Do some little thing for yourself that makes you feel better (not our favorite one, of course )

It will get better!
Old 11-08-2008, 02:16 PM   #109  
Ufi
Persistence

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5-4

Okayyyyyy, day 1 of 21 down. Eye on the prize. Eye on the prize.

Thanks for all of the encouragement.

Hey, I'm cleaning stuff out this weekend for a charity garage sale. Look out, home!
Ufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:34 AM   #110  

Red, old friend, just happened to see your thread and decided to pop in and say hi! It's been a long time. Glad to see you are still here and trying.
I tried being part of your group for awhile but couldn't keep up, but I miss you and just thought maybe I'd pop in now and then.
Have lost about 5 pounds since August, trying a new relaxed technique that seems to be helping. No more counting, no more "points", just trying smaller portions and less snacks and "thinking myself thin" in terms of putting my mindset back to what I used to eat when I was younger/thinner and I find I can't finish what's on my plate lots of the time. Without so much worrying about how many servings of this or that that I was having, I am so much more relaxed. I'm eating healthy, well and feeling so much better about myself. I'm not beating myself up anymore.
Take care,
Linda
derrydaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:52 AM   #111  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Smile nine and feeling fine!

I did it! I notched another day on all challenges! And that's a good thing, as I am allowing no pauses (thought I may allow one for the yearend party at the riding club, but only if it's an easy day to go.)
Anyhow, what I said to Arabella helped. I imagined how the day would unfold and how I would meet the imminent temptations. Sure enough, they were there. And sure enough, I beat 'em!!
Five whole days without a drink! Does that sound pathetic or what? But, heck, I'll take it. And the no sugar is perhaps even better. I feel alive!

Sunshine Challenge
Day 9 completed no pauses allowed
No Booze
Day 5 complete no pauses allowed (started Nov. 5)
No Smoking (Started Nov. 5)
Day 5 complete no pauses allowed (started Nov. 5)
No Sugar
Day 3 complete no pauses allowed (started Nov. 7)

Arabella -- Thank you!! Someone called me DOVE!!!!

mod -- Sorry for the exuberance when you're feeling so down. Of course, it's all very cryptic and shrouded from where I stand, but you tell us what you want. I do hope you can gain some distance from the "emotional turmoil" and "self-destructive behavior." Ouch. I do know about that though I don't know your specifics. I do hope it's nothing too serious. Did you get to the gym? I hope you can slog out of whatever muck you find yourself in. Remember, most of the rollercoasters are just that. Nothing serious once you get off them. Sometimes just getting off and refusing to go for whatever ride someone is asking you to helps enormously. Take care of yourself, please.

Ufi -- Good luck and good for you for getting back in there (here!). What is your challenge, by the way?

Linda (derry) -- Hi there! I posted on your new thread but you came over here. Thank you! You really shouldn't worry about "keeping up." I rarely do myself. The rest of the people here now are good about holding the fort and no one gets upset (publicly at least ) when someone disappears for a while, though we may worrry a bit. We all know what things can get like. The good thing about this thread is that you can just come in and call your day on your challenge and go out again. You always have some little thing to say and still feel a part. Then you can come in and chat when you can. Since it's first a challenge thread (and support when you can offer it) then a chat thread, it's actually easier than the others, I think.
I hear you on the no counting and things. I know I can't do that. The most I'll do is count calories but only in a rough way. .... It's not the best way to take weight off but I think I'm healthier for it. Anyhow, I gotta run. Good to see you and I do hope to see more of you, either on your thread or here.
Later gator!

Last edited by redballoon; 11-09-2008 at 06:53 AM.
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:58 AM   #112  
Uggg... I goofed again.

S/C/G: 200/200/120

Height: 5'3"

Hello everyone!
I’m back and ready to talk about something other than my frustrations. YEAH! My weight is slowly falling, which feels nice. I’ve finally come to grips with my fear of going to get my wisdom teeth out. You all keep me going. It’s nice to see everyone succeed, even after a setback. You are all so wonderful!

The not smoking is going pretty well. As it turns out, the Director at my work used to be a Quit Coach and he has been telling me all kinds of good information about quitting. He said that I should remember the “Rule of 3”. That means that 3 days, 3 weeks, and 3 months are milestones. On Thursday, it will be 3 weeks and I have to admit that it is getting easier. I called the Free and Clear Quit Line and got 2 weeks of free patches to use. I was skeptical of using them, but they really do work! I’m really starting to believe that my quit might be real this time! I even went outside with co-workers the other day for a break and didn’t smoke with them. I wonder how long I have to be quit before I’m unlikely to slip up. Will it ever happen?

Sorry this is so long, I’ve got a lot to say. I feel like I’ve missed out!

Texscrapper
– Rock on to making it this whole time! Geez! You’ve got me thinking maybe I can start purging crap outta my house too. It’s so small that it just seems like we are crammed in here!

Redballoon – This clutter thing you started is awesome. Its spreading all over the place. I figure I’ll get it going just in time for Christmas. Then I’ll start all over at the beginning of the year. This is gonna be a great holiday season! I think I feel the need to do these challenges because it seems to be one of the only things that I can control of my life. It gives me a goal and makes me feel like I am trying. The shame of goofing up occasionally is offset by the pride I feel when I succeed for even 10 days in a row. No one is pushing me, well except myself. My friend Lori tells me I am too hard on myself, though so far I’ve gotten healthier. I can’t believe how well you are doing on your challenges! You amaze me! OMG! The list of reasons to not lose weight amazed me. It was like you were reading my mind! Wow.

Quixotica – Your cottage sounds wonderful. I used to have a lady come in and clean my house every two weeks. She did the bathrooms, baseboards, and other things that always seem to get away from me. I think I paid her $50.00… it was SO worth it. I had to give her up when I went to grad school, way too many expenses! I recommend it though! Good luck with that beaver.

Miriam – I need my passport… I’m glad you reminded me. I have a vacation planned, but no passport! AHHH! I better get on that. Thanks for reminding me!

Murdleminal
Good luck on your challenges! What’s in the stroller that makes it 90 pounds?! I have a stroller for my old dog and its heavy enough at 60 pounds, I can’t imagine 90! The smoking one seems toughest… sure you don’t wanna just quit? I can’t believe the patches helped me, well so far they have.

Arabella – You are always so insightful! Thanks for the message, you were right. It sounds like you have an awesome Saturday setup. I need to get my Fridays more like your Saturdays, it would be nice.:

Apple Blossom
– Have fun while your out of town… hope to hear from you when you return!

Modcat – I’m sorry your feeling down. I hope it gets better. I think Arabella is probably right, sit and write!

Ufi – Good luck with your cleaning! I’m going to clean the yard today. Yuk.

DerryDaughter – Hi ya!
sassybiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:24 AM   #113  

Thumbs up Good morning!

Day 3 in the bag, Day 4 happening. Yesterday went according to plan. Tonight's dinner at SIL but I'm feeling strong. I got to move my ticker today And I'm hitting my November goal, yes I am.

Red, My Dove! (please let me know when you get tired of being called that. ) Good for you on the no-drinkies for five days! It's a hard one. I need some of your mojo to make it through dinner tonight without drinking too much. I'm fine at home, fine out to dinner at a restaurant. But the extended cocktail hour at dinner parties is often my downfall. Wish me luck! What would happen if I just didn't start... Wow. If I try that you'll hear the shouts of huzzah in Japan.

Sassssaaaaaay! You sneaked in on me again Oh, I used to quit smoking all the time! The first three days were killers, like you're constantly making the decision: Will I or won't I? Then, once you've got some time in it's easier. You go girl!

Ufi, good for you on clearing stuff out!

Linda, yup, sometimes this thread is a leeeetle overwhelming to try to keep up with.

K, challengers, let's HIT IT!

Last edited by Arabella; 11-09-2008 at 10:29 AM.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:28 PM   #114  
Never give up

Wink it's a brand new day...

Just after 5 a.m. and I'm getting ready to leave. Cold here, but I haven't put on the kerosene heater yet. Will have to soon. Well, today will be a late day at work and these always kill me. There is usually no place to lie down for a bit and I get so tired and the only thing I then do is eat and feel worse and worse. So, using my planning and image training skills, I will take deep breaths, take a little walk, do some stair climbing and or eat, BUT only good food, fruit and prepared veggies from the store. No way, I'm going to binge on THAT stuff!
I am loving my cleaning challenge. Yes, the things I do are small and I feel like I am cheating, but I'm not, this is BETTER than nothing, which is most assuredly what it would be without my challenge. I see the little things I've done and I feel SO much better AND, double dividends, I start thinking about other things I can do!!! I mean, is that amazing, or what?!!?!? Utter crazy stuff, I'd say. Well, wish me luck on my long day.

sassy -- Hi there. Good to see you back and obviously feeling better! Glad to hear too that you're facing the wisdom tooth fear. I had three of mine (that's all I had) imbedded (not yet impacted) wisdom teeth out before I first left the States (in case they caused problems later). I was under. The anesthesia caused me the most problems but only for some hours after waking up. My face was badly swollen and painful for a few days but constant aspirin took care of it. If yours are above the gum line it'll be easier. In any case, it probably won't be so bad. Good luck.
Yes, I stopped smoking nearly 20 years ago and only started up at the end of last year and only when I was drinking. And now, I'm stopping again. The 3-month is a psychological marker. The 3-weeks is a physical one. It gets easier until you think you can have just one even though you really don't want it. Don't! I never gave myself the option of smoking when I went cold turkey. That helped enormously. Of course, that was after numerous attempts to cut down.
Glad you liked my list of reasons NOT to lose weight!
And, I feel the same about these challenges. They are immediate things I can control and that makes me feel less anxious, which is my biggest trigger to overeat.
Good luck!

Arabella -- I love "Dove." But you can just throw me that when you like, there is no commitment! Thank you, though. Heh, GREAT going on your challenge. Isn't it cool when you can notch a day according to plan. It's really empowering. I think the planning in your mind about your actions (do I sound like a native English speaker? ) is a huge help. Yes, you can hit your November goal. You're so close, I bet you can reach out and touch it, those numbers on the scale. Fight!!! Arabella, if the cocktail hour is a killer, try ordering spicy tomato juice, hot tea in a glass or at least do a one-on, one-off thing by alternating alcohol with non-alcohol. I have found that sitting there nursing a hot oolong tea is oh, so soothing. I actually enjoy it MORE than downing a cold one. Honest. The fact that I order it in a glass makes it seem more like a bar drink and not like I'm sitting in a cafe. It was strange. I never imagined myself ordering hot tea although here hot drinks in a bar are normal with the hot sake and stuff. But, an acupressure guy said, why not? and I did it and it was no problem. Wow. Scary, how we tell ourselves things that aren't even true, like I can't order hot tea in the bar and not have people look at me like I'm nuts. .....hmmm...I guess what I really don't realize is that they're ALREADY looking at me like I'm nuts and adding the tea doesn't really add anything.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:42 AM   #115  

Thumbs up Success!

Happy Monday, all! So. Day 5.

I actually did it -- told myself and then my husband that I was going to have two glasses of wine. And then I went and had ... two glasses of wine. I sipped (and I think I can train myself to sip even more slowly) and when my glass was empty I did not refill it. I wasn't really prepared for anyone offering to refill it but... they didn't. I'll have to be ready for that next time, I think. Maybe take my glass away when I've had my two...

We've got our final practice for Remembrance Day concert tonight and then the concert tomorrow night. I'll be happy to be able to just practice for The Messiah. I throw the practice CD in the player in the kitchen and belt it out while I'm cooking, cleaning up. Get it a lot of practice that way...

Red, I agree -- a nice hot tea can really make a good substitute, somehow, in a way that a cold drink doesn't. So soothing, maybe.

Yeah, fatigue is a killer. And, working from home, I should be able to deal with it better than I do. When it gets me, it's almost predictable: I'll be sitting at the computer, think "oh my god I'm tired," but instead of taking a break I sit there and ... twenty minutes later I'm prowling the kitchen. Or I have a lightbulb go off over my head with an image of something that's in the freezer. Makes my resistance so poor.

And I think the more we habitually do that kind of thing the harder it is to break the habit (oh yeah, look at what thread this is). So I'm going to try harder to stop and take a break as soon as I realize I'm zonked.

Well, I've got to get a little work done and then get out to the gym, walk around the park. Those steps aren't going to get themselves...

Let's make this a good one!
Old 11-10-2008, 07:39 AM   #116  

S/C/G: 354/252/180

Height: 5'5

Hello Again everyone!

Sorry to be MIA over the weekend - we have been busy, altough I did manage to get my challenges met!

Exercise Daily with 1 pause (used) - Day 15
Purge one bag of useless junk/items or clutter each day (2 pauses) - Day 4

Although I have been exercising, I have not been sticking with the "diet" very well - let's just say the Hlloween bowl and I had one too many run ins this weekend. Oh well - todays a new day!

I will post (with personals) later in the day - I'm off to exercise and purge before work starts!

to all!
texscrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:08 AM   #117  
Never give up

Thumbs up all coasts are clear!

Sunshine Challenge
Day 10 completed no pauses allowed
No Booze
Day 6 complete no pauses allowed (started Nov. 5)
No Smoking (Started Nov. 5)
Day 6 complete no pauses allowed (started Nov. 5)
No Sugar
Day 4 complete no pauses allowed (started Nov. 7)

Flyby, people. Later!
Old 11-10-2008, 06:44 PM   #118  

S/C/G: 354/252/180

Height: 5'5

Exercise Daily with 1 pause (used) - Day 16
Purge one bag of useless junk/items or clutter each day (2 pauses) - Day 5

All done for today - after 5 days of purging my laundry room actually has cabinet space for me to store stuff in - I should wrap it up tomorrow and then on to purge the kitchen!
texscrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:45 PM   #119  
Never give up

Smile another one!!

Ok, people, I didn't make it to the gym and am now late for work. I really overslept, but I guess I needed it.
I feel so much clearer. My mind is starting to move again. The sludge, the fog, the whatever that has been adding to my inertia seems to be clearing. Then again, it's likely just the post-period streak of good days. Sigh. Still, I resolve to keep at it AND am adding yet another challenge. Is that cool or what? I really need to keep a record of what I put in my mouth, because I know that 1) after some days of not seeing the scale budge I'm going to start whining about all my efforts and how they're not affecting my fat stores and 2) I want to see if the foods I'm eating are helping my skin, mindset etc. So....

Write-it-down Challenge
Day 0 completed no pauses allowed

tex -- I can't help it, but every time I hear "purge" I think that we have a lot of bulimics in here or someone in need of a priest to exorcise the evil, and then I remember, oh, right, clutter. Sorry! But, you know, the word is relevant. The clutter is like some sort of evil. It builds up like it had a mind of its own. Congrats on your efforts! Keep it going! It gets tougher....doesn't it all?

Arabella -- Beautiful work on that wine save! three cheers to you!!! Sipping is the way to go, eh? I think when waiters and such see people sipping and really nursing a drink they just don't bother asking if they want a refill because it seems obvious they're not there to knock 'em back. And I really like the way you have your strategy planned in case they DO ask. Excellent, excellent. You are inspiration embodied! Now take that thinking to your tired times when the freezer lightbulb goes off!

Last edited by redballoon; 11-10-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:15 PM   #120  
Uggg... I goofed again.

S/C/G: 200/200/120

Height: 5'3"

Hello everyone! I’m doing a fly-by, as I’m a tad woosey from meds. Things are still looking better.

I got all 4 wisdom teeth out this morning and am fine and dandy. All were in my mouth like normal teeth. They have never bothered me, so I wasn’t real sure why my dentist wanted them out other than they are hard to brush and keep clean. So, done with that. Thank goodness. I haven’t felt any pain yet. The meds are awesome. I have to admit that I almost left the waiting room from fear of going in. Silly, isn’t it?! This wasn't near as bad as I had envisioned. I practiced deep breathing while I was in the chair and POOF! all done.

You all seem to be doing really well! I’m thinkin’ up a new challenge for myself. I like the purge idea. I might even try to go to the gym 3 days a week, though I’m not sure how that would fit into a daily challenge. Perhaps I can list exercise every day.

Take care all, love reading all you write!
sassybiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote