Old 11-01-2008, 01:07 PM   #61  
Keep Chuggin'

S/C/G: 166/150/120

Height: 5'1"

Red - congrats to you for starting anew. I like the name - Sunshine challenge. hope it brings lots of brightness into your life. I haven't yet been able to focus on some type of challenge yet.

Sassy - we're the same age

Tex - Dang I miss Texas!! Hope you had a happy halloween - who took the rugrats trick or treating? I sure don't miss Halloween!!!

Arabella - how did day 2 go?

Sheri - I can totally understand you wanting to go back and change your Hawaii memories. Rooting for you!

Mod - you are rocking your challenge.... I'm sure being first mate in the home improvement dept will give you some exercise, too. Haven't got my passport yet - think I'll get it this week. BUT - now i've run into birthday season int he house and can;t get away till the 23rd, i don't know where I want to go and what I want to do...

I don't think I'm going to go to work tomorrow - I am still seriously under the weather.

Last edited by miriam101; 11-01-2008 at 01:10 PM.
miriam101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:17 PM   #62  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Wink morning of Day 2....

sassy -- Thanks for the congrats. That was sweet of you. Starting this challenge is no problem. Continuing it is going to be though. I think what you said about the "instant gratification" is very true. And it's gratification that you can see, not just feel. There is a difference. Up to now all my challenges have made me feel better with a sense of accomplishment in the immediate, no sugar, no booze, no smoking, etc., doing situps, but nothing shows immediate results (except for being sober and that's not necessarily a good feeling when you're totally stressed...) Anyhow, thanks again.

mod -- Thanks for the encouragement on my cleaning challenge. I can never separate things well. To me, it's always the whole package, the big picture, everything in my life and I guess that's why I often feel so not together, even though I am actually doing quite a good job. The messy room is not as bad as it seems, I mean, oh, the room is bad, but the fact that it's bad doesn't reflect anything that serious, because...well...I must admit, I have always been a room slob. I excel at taking a perfectly good room and turning it into a comfortable pigsty.

On your stalled challenge, heh, well, at least you had the pause day left. I wouldn't expect anyone to get through Halloween sugarfree. Here, it's not a tradition so there is no temptation. The only thing you may see are some decorations and some costumes.

Reading your post and others' posts, I am glad to hear that Halloween is still alive and well in some parts of the States, at least. It was one of my very favorite times when I was a kid, truly magical, right up there with Christmas but without the penance we had to do for the goodies (going to church before we opened the gifts ) Here, I'm noticing more things going on with kids but it's meaningless I think because there's no tradition for Halloween and it is just the result of marketing. Non-Japanese have always dressed up and caused scenes and that so turns me off the whole thing. Sorry, but to me Halloween is for kids unless you're at a party. Here, people (foreigners), drunk and rowdy, would ride the trains getting in people's way. I suppose they thought they looked cool, like they were able to let their hair down when the Japanese don't. Little do they realize they just look utterly foolish. I wish people would understand that other people do respect their own cultures and society. Anyhow, enough of the school marm. It's just that when they have to up security and have police out on the trains because foreigners in costumes are vandalizing them, I don't think it's fun anymore and, as a fellow foreigner, it's outright embarrassing.

miriam -- Thanks to you too. I'm glad to see you in here and hope you feel better soon. Time heals and your attitude is surely helping. I missed the story because I haven't been following posts closely, but why do you need a passport, or, rather, why do you not have a passport? I thought you were an American living in Israel, no? In any case, I hope you get it soon.
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:32 PM   #63  
Keep Chuggin'

Red - I am an American, living here, but even Americans can't come home to the motherland sans passport, LOL. Mine expired - need a new one. Should get it this week or noxt - and then I get to decide what to do with it.

I like your insight about seeing instant results. So true. Even with weightloss - you lose a pound, and half a pound... you don't SEE it except for a number on the scale. Hmm. Food for thought.

I feel rotten. Went tonight to the traditional "comforting of the mourners" - and it was the first time I had ever gone to a house of mourning not to comfort my friend, but my friend's FAMILY. UGGHHH! All those deep, sad feelings came right up to the surface. We had been such good friends for 20 years. Feelings hurt.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:45 PM   #64  
Never give up

Exclamation

miriam -- Thanks for clearing up the passport question. I didn't think you could be in a foreign country with an expired passport but perhaps I was confusing it with the visa. I would be so worried if I had an expired passport and had to leave the country soon, i.e., get to the States soon. Hope you get that sorted out soon.

And, I'm so sorry to hear of how all the sadness is coming at you full bent again. Losing someone when she was still so young is just pain beyond imagining. Your years together will always be your treasure.

Well, as for me here, I am trying to get to the gym before going to the racetrack here today for a big race. I am having a very slow start though....just sitting down now to my purple oatmeal. Yes, truly purple because I made it mixing in black rice and other grains. It's so yummy and it gives me so much energy!

Last edited by redballoon; 11-01-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:56 PM   #65  

S/C/G: 230/179/150

Height: 5'7"

miriam--

red--oatmeal with rice? And other stuff? It doesn't really sound all that good, but I'll take your word for it....

Well, I helped DH most of the day, managed a quick 20 minute run outside, but that was all. I was sore, so maybe it is good I had an "off" day. And I am not going to count it because I didn't do at least 1 hour so still just on day 10 for exercise, also for water, and day 9 for the sugar, as that was fine today. Tomorrow is my class and I am definitely going to that--my favorite coach only does Sundays and Tuesdays and I can't always get there on Tuesdays after work, so I try to go every Sunday. The other coaches are just so-so, except I really like the 6 am coach, but I never get her, because, well, it's 6 am! On the days I work, I can't, b/c I need to leave at 7:15, and on the days I don't work, I don't go because,
I repeat, it's 6 am!

Last edited by modcat44; 11-01-2008 at 11:58 PM.
modcat44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:09 AM   #66  

S/C/G: 354/252/180

Height: 5'5

Hi everyone - Just stopping in for a quick check in -

I did complete my exercise for Sat so, day 7 was completed. I popped in my workout video this morning and only finished 15 minutes of it - I just couldn't get in the mood this morning I'm off to work and will do my stair stepper and jump on the trampoline with the kiddos this afternoon!
texscrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:15 PM   #67  
Never give up

Wink Day 2 called....

Well, I realized that this challenge is harder than I thought. I forgot that I haven't really done this before and the whole thing the challenge is trying to instill in me, namely, a habit of cleaning things, isn't there AT ALL! So, yesterday I left it to the end of the day and then didn't get home till late. There was really no time to do anything, but I went through the motions a bit and I am OK'ing that because it was the intention. That said, even a little bit helped. I noticed it this morning! So....

Sunshine Challenge
Day 2 complete no pauses allowed

And the race was great yesterday....thus the late night!

mod -- Just about to sit down again to my purple oatmeal. Of course it's good. After all, oats are just a grain too. Besides, black rice tastes very nutty or maybe like popcorn. Also, I use very simple oats that need a long time to cook, not like Quaker (even the "slow-cooking" kind). That said, I can eat the traditional Japanese breakfast of grilled salmon (though I don't, 'cause I'm a vegetarian), bowl of rice and miso (fermented soybean paste) soup, so my taste may be a bit acquired. Then again, you've heard of rice pudding, right? No?
You know, you really sound like you are ACTIVE! Wow. Good for you! 6 a.m. is awful early to actually be in the pool and swimming. I get up at 4:30 and can be out and ready to go but to actually start that early....no, I think I would drown.

tex -- Congrats on a full week down!!

Old 11-02-2008, 08:24 PM   #68  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Morning Red
Just a quick note - was thinking about you yesterday when I was talking to a fellow camper about the Melbourne Cup coming up tomorrow. Seems all the international horses are having a problem with the hard track. No rain in Melb!!! Incredible. It will probably rain like mad tomorrow.
Purple oatmeal actually doesn't sound too bad to me. I've been eating porridge from the canteen along with fruit and yoghurt.
Hello to all of those on challenges. My challenge is just getting through the days at work at the moment. I've done 19 days straight 10 hours a day. I need some time off. I'm supposed to do 2 weeks on and one off, but such is the state of this place (I'm in Dampier if north western Australia) that I have to work to keep up with the stuff needed to be done. Maybe after I finish the training next week????
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:01 AM   #69  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Thumbs up Fresh start Monday

And Day 1. I've been doing okay but easing up a bit... nibbling a little while I'm cooking, not getting quite all my steps in. That's not the way to get where I want to go.

So, here goes again.

Three pauses.

• At least 12,500 steps a day.
  • Eat only when seated.
  • Journal every bite.
  • Weigh in daily.
  • Core.
  • At least 8 fruits and veggies.
  • Yoga or tai chi daily.

Red, I'm exactly the same -- it's all coming together or it's all falling apart. Have you heard of this book "Does this clutter make my butt look big?" About the connection between overweight and mess. I think it all boils down to CONTROL.

Miriam, how difficult to go to that gathering, especially feeling so badly. I hope you take great and gentle care of yourself today!

Shad, I didn't see you sneak in!

Tex, do your kids step with you or just allow you to do it? I've got both those options for days when weather's crummy, too.

Modcat, we do the early morning thing here. We used to live in the country and it seemed pretty drastic to be out there on country roads in the pitch blackness and freezing weather. (Man, why am I not skinny yet?)

One of the skinny ladies at the gym was in shorts last week and I noticed -- wow, cellulite city. I guess nobody's exempt.

K, Challengers, I've got to get dressed and get out to the gym. Let's take this day and make it work for us!

Last edited by Arabella; 11-03-2008 at 05:02 AM.
Arabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:04 AM   #70  
Never give up

Talking it's three in a row!

Well, I did it. Got through a bit of mess yet again! Wow, it felt good and I was wondering what took me soooooo long to do it, BUT I put off doing it all day and if it hadn't been for this challenge I would NEVER have done it. Hooo Haw!

Day 3 completed no pauses allowed

Shad! Fancy seeing you 'round these parts. Howdy, pal! Melbourne Cup. Wow. I didn't realize it was that time of year. Festival time! No Japanese horses this year I hear. What, did the Aussies ban 'em after their one-two finish the other year? Hope it's a good race. Wish some good Aussie or Kiwi horses would come to the Japan Cup like they used to. Vodka won yesterday beating Daiwa Scarlet by 2 cm in what sure looked like a dead heat. Two fillies topping 15 males! That was the Emperor's Cup. She's heading to the JC next.
Heh, glad you put in a vote for the purple oatmeal!
Well, hope you can manage a challenge with us soon. And I hope you get that much-needed break soon too! See ya later!

Arabella -- Start Over Queen! Speaking of which, Apple, where are you? She was long our start-over ace. And, oh, you crack me up. "Cellulite city!" Heh, I don't think that's PC. Sounds like some Bowie song. I looked up that book you mentioned and, yes, I think clutter does make my butt look bigger. Guess that's what the problem has been, eh?
Well, gotta run...to bed.

Last edited by redballoon; 11-03-2008 at 08:05 AM.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:59 AM   #71  
Uggg... I goofed again.

S/C/G: 200/200/120

Height: 5'3"

Good morning everyone! I have been away and have a lot to catch up on!!
I’ve been doing well on my steps and I think things are good…. Well, except my weight!

Day 9: Steps – 11,515, Weight 184
Day 10: Steps – 11,052, Weight 186
Day 11: Steps – 11,026, Weight 187

I have no idea what is going on with my weight! AHHH! Surely this isn’t from my O’Charley’s disaster?! I’m hoping that I get on the scale some day this week and it “magically” goes back down. I really can’t explain it.

Miriam – Wow! Someone else my age! I hope you start feeling better.

Mod – You are a machine! You inspire me to get out there!

Tex – There are so many days that I “just can’t” get into exercise. I’ve found that it seems to take me just a bit longer on those days to get around to it. Have some fun, laughing is a workout! Playing on the trampoline sounds fun. We have one and my son and dog love it.

Arabella – 12,500 steps is a lot! I got up to 15,000 a day and thought it might finish me off. How do you fit all those extra steps in? I have to stay on the treadmill more or take the dogs for walks separately.

Yuck … clutter. I just told my hubby yesterday that we needed to post everything on freecycle and start over. There is stuff everywhere! I keep thinking I need a bigger house, but I got a suspicion that it wouldn’t matter. I’m gonna get to stepping and eat breakfast. I’ve got to figure out what this weight gain is!

Have a terrific day everyone!
sassybiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:01 AM   #72  

S/C/G: 354/252/180

Height: 5'5

Well, I did end up stair stepping yesterday and trampoline jumping with the boys, so I am recording day 8. I also just finished my Walk Away the POunds Video, so Day 9 is complete.

I "graduated" to the Next Walk Away the Pounds (2 mile) video in the series, and I was so proud. In fact, I was so emotional that when it ended, I just kinda cried to myself. I guess knowing that 6 months ago, walking briskly 1/4 mile to and from the mailbox left me winded got me a little emotional

red - Glad to see you're doing so wel on your Sunshine Challenge!

Miriam - The boys had a blast Trick or Treating - My hubby took them house to house and I passed out the candy while visiting with my neighbors. He was so proud of our boys for using thier manners (thank you's all around) after receiving candy without being told - I guess at least that lesson is paying off!

Arabella - My boys do exercise with me - they do whatever workout video mommy is doing, and they get on my stepper when I'm not on it. Their favorite "exercise" is when mommy gets on the big trampoline with them and jumps around!

to everyone else - I have to get the kiddos off to school!
texscrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:50 PM   #73  
Keep Chuggin'

hi yall

poor choices day for me all around. heck - good thing that there's a tomorrow
Old 11-03-2008, 07:10 PM   #74  
Never give up

Thumbs up anticipation of success...

Well, it's morning here and I have to get to the gym before work. But, it'll be a late day for me so if I don't do some cleaning this morning it won't get done. Going to post this and then come back later WHEN today's day is done!

sassy -- Good going with your steps. tell me, are these on a step machine or steps as in walking? I guess they must be the latter, eh? "O'Charley's disaster?" I must have missed something..... Oh, OK, I guess I get it. Living out of the States, I just don't know all these euphemisms anymore. Yes, on the clutter, the bigger house is the same thing as the refrigerator rule, things expand to the space allotted them. This is one reason I hate wearing baggy clothes, though I do hate tight clothes. I know where wearing loose clothes gets me!

miriam -- Hang in there, kid!

Arabella, I've been reading a very thought-provoking book, called something about "Story." It's about how we write the stories in our lives, regarding various areas such as job, health, finances, relationships and how often the stories aren't working for whatever reason. In short, we have to find out why we're doing things, the purpose in our lives, the whys, if we are telling ourselves the truth about how they are working and why and then rewrite the stories where they're not working and take action to carry them out.
The keywords are: Purpose/Truth/Action.
Talking about cleaning up my room and the connection between weight loss (or the lack thereof) I think in my case this is what it's about. I say, over and over again, that I want to lose weight, get the body I admire, have a clean room and on and on ad nauseum, BUT, holy moly, do I take the steps to get there? In a word...NO. Is it a lack of action? Obviously. But the roots may go deeper. Without the action, from others' perspective, I am simply lying. I don't like being an liar, but the excuses, the lack of concerted and consistent, prolonged action means that's what I turn myself into, nothing more than a liar. Well, I don't know if this is exactly what the book is saying, but so far, that's what I'm getting from it. For me, it's not a matter of control, it's responsibility I guess. I'm not being responsible with my words or actions. Yuck, that is definitely not the person I am or want to be and yet, wow, look at me. Get it together, eh?

tex -- Your boys sound so sweet with their good manners. You and your husband must be really proud of them. Congratulations on completing Day 9! And another congrats on your "graduation" to 2 miles! Yes, that is great. So glad you're taking the steps (pun applicable!) to be there as long as possible with your boys!

Last edited by redballoon; 11-03-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:16 PM   #75  
Never give up

Talking four out the door!

Ok, It's done, the gross stuff for the day!

Doing the Sunshine Challenge Shuffle...

Day 4 completed no pauses allowed

And here it is, the infamous purple oatmeal. This is before I doctor it with wheat germ and a touch of milk. Notice the green specks as well! Those are some kind of bean.

Now, it's to the gym and the office!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg purple.jpeg (48.1 KB, 5 views)