Old 11-16-2008, 09:00 AM   #151  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Talking Hurrah!

I did it. Made it through the party AND the after-party session with NO alcohol, NO smoking!!
Sunshine Challenge
Day 16 completed no pauses allowed

No Booze
Day 12 complete no pauses allowed (started Nov. 5)

No Smoking (Started Nov. 5)
Day 12 complete no pauses allowed (started Nov. 5)

No Sugar
Day 10 complete no pauses allowed (started Nov. 7)

Write-it-down Challenge
Day 6 completed no pauses allowed (started Nov. 11)

redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:46 AM   #152  
Uggg... I goofed again.

S/C/G: 200/200/120

Height: 5'3"

Oh my! There is a lot to read here! I think that I am finally ready for another challenge. I've given it a lot of thought cause the end of the year is coming and it can be challenging enough! So - here it is!

1. No smoking - No pauses allowed
2. 10,000 steps per day - No pauses allowed
3. Workout 30 minutes per day - 2 pauses allowed

I'll hopefully get to reading a bit more in a little bit, you all have been busy!
sassybiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 11:13 AM   #153  

S/C/G: 230/179/150

Height: 5'7"

Hi all!

Red, your challenges and your struggles are very inspiring to me, even when I don't feel like posting or even thinking about what I need to do, I love logging on here and reading how you (and everyone) is muddling along. And you are really rocking this set set of challenges, btw, even with the moodiness and inevitable RL stresses and speed bumps. You are just so awesome right now. Yes, I know what it feels like to not really see results, or any significant results fast enough, and to think how many times I've travelled this road before and why do I keep doing this to myself. And the value of something like this forum is to compare our journey with others' and of course get (and give) support to be able to continue. And giving us a place to vent, or to confess, or even just to self-analyze--all this is invaluable to our future success.

I am struggling back into my groove. So much happening in my head lately, and I am craving comfort again. But, I am going out to swim in just a few minutes--haven't exercised since Tuesday. But I have to re-dedicate myself to this because I am happiest (about myself, so at least one less thing to be stressed about) when I am working out and eating sensibly. and to that end, I will come back here later today and post again, catch up with everyone. I just had to give in and post a quick reply and stop being a lurker--and trying to motivate me to get up and go out to my swim class.

BBL
modcat44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 03:58 PM   #154  
Never give up

Wink

Well, Monday morning here. Made it up by 4:30 a.m. even though I only got to bed around 23:30. I am tired! But, gotta get to see my horse and then in to work. It's far, far out to the stable, but I can do it to see her.
Of course, the weight is way up. I was so sore last night I couldn't bend over and it was painful going down stairs. The workout I gave myself was punishing! (....ah, just rewarding myself here.. ) Oddly, this morning I don't feel that sore. Strange.
Well, let's hope I see some weight loss. I can see my muscles coming out again. I really know how to pack on the muscle from years of weight training. Just got to get rid of that fat!
Anyhow, gotta run!

sassy -- Good to see you back, and with some tough challenges to boot! Best of luck! Sorry for all the writing. Just me in here lonesome with too much time on my hands.

modcat -- Thanks for your sweet words. I really can't imagine gaining any inspiration from my ramblings, whinings and assorted self-pities. But, if you have, great! And it sure is nice to hear it. I did not expect to see a weight loss this morning. I know I am all sore and retaining water because my muscles are in shock. I have a huge pimple (I hope that's all it is...) smack in the middle of my butt. I was shocked this morning when I felt a huge lump there. I figure it's some huge chunk of fat that has been shocked into movement and is putting up a fuss. After all, I was hitting my butt muscles majorily yesterday in the gym and did 30 min jogging both Saturday and Sunday. But, it hurts! Is that gross or what? Anyhow, I gotta go, but thanks again and I do hope you find your groove somewhere. It sounds like you're on the right track. It is amazing how the long-run benefits, in other words, that ones that aren't immediate gratifications, actually DO feel good. You get your exercise in. I'm doing the same, hurting bad, but feeling good. Is that masochistic sounding or what?
Old 11-16-2008, 08:28 PM   #155  
Sherianne

S/C/G: 207/198/140

Height: 5'3"

Hi Ladies!
I am counting the couple of hours I spent in the garden yesterday as exercise. If you have sore muscles, it counts, right? So yesterday was day 13 and as soon as I am done chatting here I will get on my exercise bike and ride. My husband said I should keep track of the miles I ride each day and shoot for a destination and see how long it takes me to get there. This summer I am going to Colorado for a long overdue trip (I used to live there, never intended to live in California, and I have missed it all these years) so I am thinking I will find out the mileage to my destination and then see how long it takes me. Silly game, no? Whatever motivates us, right? I am stalled at 186 and I go up a few ounces and down a few ounces, but the scale isn't budging! GRRR. Perhaps I am gaining muscle. I can feel them, so I hope that's it.

!Sassy and Modcat! I had a senior moment...thinking you two were on the other challenge I am participating in; it all gets so confusing sometimes. I am on the Biggest Loser challenge. It is great to have such a long running challenge, it keeps me going over the long haul and I have lost 8 pounds doing that challenge. But, this challenge has helped me do that because it gets me to do the exercising, which I have to do to lose.

Red-Do you have a thoroughbred horse? I understand that you do dressage. A dear old friend of mine did dressage as a teen, entered all the West Coast cometitions. Her horse was truly one of the loves of her life. Unfortunately, the horse had a fatal fall in competition and had to be put down. That ended her days of competition. She showed me a video of the accident. The horse twisted in mid air so it would not land on her and it broke its neck in the fall. Sad, but the point is I think that horses are smart enough that the love goes two ways. What do you think?

And, about the girl who insulted me...it's all about her and what she is missing in her life. No, that is the first time a student has been so abusive to me, so its not like I deserved it. For some reason this girl has always chosen me as her scapegoat and has talked bad about me, been a misanthrope in my classes and just generally made life hard. Not every student will like you and some people have a lot to work out emotionally. I just stay calm, firm and in control with her. She's a senior, not getting into the colleges she had wanted to get into (to be with her boyfriend) and was looking for a target for her frustration. I pity her, but I am also a little fed up with her antics.

I'm calling you back, Tex! Bring your sweet self back and talk to us! Hope you are feeling better. I just went and reread your last post. Ten boys spending the night! I remember the days...wild, silly and fun. So, Okay, we'll hear from you on Monday!

Miriam-A size 17 waist is an unrealistic waist size, don't you think? I remember 21 of 22 as an early teen, but I was under five feet tall. A century ago, or more women were just plain tiny. And, I guess starving oneself for beauty is nothing new. I have a rocking chair that belonged to my great-great grandmother. It is diminuitive. I don't sit in it for fear of breaking it. My great-grandmother used to say that her mother weighed 85 pound soaking wet. Can you imagine?

Good night girls. Time to do the planning for work for tomorrow!
Sheri

Last edited by Quixotica; 11-17-2008 at 08:45 AM.
Quixotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 01:40 PM   #156  

S/C/G: 335.8/335.8/150

Height: 5'6''

Back to day 1...

Journaling challenge (no pauses allowed):
Day one begins again (began November 17th)
Stretching challenge - stretch everything out every day:
Day one begins (began November 17th)
econ nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:01 PM   #157  
Never give up

Unhappy scale is such a downer....

Just a flyby here, people...I'm a bit disgusted with the whole thing. If all this effort means my weight barely budges, how am I ever, ever, ever going to lose 12 kg???? It's like I'm going to have to fight tooth and nail for every gram. Oh well, so be it then..... I had my fun putting it all on.
I did manage to get through all my challenges. It involves a lot of NOT thinking about things. The thought of not drinking for at least six more weeks is daunting and every one around me says I can't do it, that December will be impossible with all the parties and such. But, heck, I did it the other night. It CAN be done. My biggest motivator is simply, is the drinking THAT much fun? That's the question I ask myself. And, the thing is, I just have to get this weight off. I want that body by August and if I don't get it, I am going to hate myself.

Sunshine Challenge
Day 17 completed no pauses allowed
No Booze
Day 13 complete no pauses allowed (started Nov. 5)
Day 13 complete no pauses allowed (started Nov. 5)
No Sugar
Day 11 complete no pauses allowed (started Nov. 7)
Write-it-down Challenge
Day 7 completed no pauses allowed (started Nov. 11)

econ -- Starting over again? Ok, I admire your resolve to start over. What are you finding difficult about doing your challenges? I can think of any number of things, but tell us what's going on. We're here for you.

Quix -- Of course, gardening counts as exercise. Good luck there. I will write more later.

Last edited by redballoon; 11-17-2008 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:14 PM   #158  

S/C/G: 354/252/180

Height: 5'5

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaack! Day 1 here I come!

Challenges
Exercise Daily (2 pauses)
Eradicate (vs purge ) 1 bag of useless stuff from my house daily

Day 1 is completed on both Challenges - although my useless stuff were my twins cribs - they didn't exactly fit in a bag, but they wer taking up space I didn't have! I thought I would be sad to see them go, but I wasn't - guess I'm done with the baby stage!

I'm off to bed - I'll catch up with personals tomorrow! to everyone!
texscrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:12 AM   #159  
Never give up

Quix -- Do you know about this site and how you can chart your mileage. It's a lot of fun and totally free as far as I can see.
Here's the site:
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/
And here's a forum that explains it all. This is inside a thread on usage. Back up and see the other stuff available.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/phpBB2...opic.php?t=404
Old 11-18-2008, 11:12 AM   #160  

S/C/G: 335.8/335.8/150

Height: 5'6''

Quote:
Originally Posted by redballoon View Post
[color=indigo]econ -- Starting over again? Ok, I admire your resolve to start over. What are you finding difficult about doing your challenges? I can think of any number of things, but tell us what's going on. We're here for you.
Denial is what got me off track on journaling this weekend. I also was using pages of paper that I printed and have in a binder. It was not easily portable and now I am using a small notebook that I can carry in my bag with me so that I can jot down things as they come to me. I know that most of this is simply making excuses but I will get back on track and keep going. I ate too much this weekend and gained a bit (mostly water I know but I wasn't happy with the scale) so I didn't really want to put things down onpaper... Denial at it's best

Anywho, I am back with my journaling and I will keep trying with it because I know it will be a very valuable tool for me.

I did Day 1 of my journaling and stretching yesterday and am on track keeping my journal today (and stretched after my workout at the gym this morning). I plan to do some more stretching later today.

I best get to work now... Have a wonderful day my new friends
econ nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:39 AM   #161  

Ok, econ and tex--I'm with ya! Day 1 for me here as well!

I got off track after last Tuesday and had been so MIA I didn't even realize I'd won TBL for the Red Team until this morning, haha! I was so far down in a hole, but bright skies are now back and I'm feeling like I'm past most of the crises (is that the plural?) from last week, personal and familial and occupational. I am now getting "back on the horse" and onwards and upwards, yadda yadda yeah!

Day 1 (new) challenges:

Exercise 18/21 days. That means, through December 8th, only three missed days. I can do it, I know I can. (No pauses, b/c of built-in missed days)

No junk food, processed or otherwise--3 pauses.
This is the tough one, being the holiday season and every other office sending over to our office all kinds of sweets and food-type gifts. I will stay strong!!

Water--AT LEAST 64 oz. striving for 96 every day--No pauses

Posting here and on my other threads--EVERY DAY!--3 pauses.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:33 PM   #162  
Never give up

Cool I can do it, I can, I can.

Another day notched. Tough one on booze last night, well, yes and no. I went to a usual hangout with the fellow who was my biggest drinking buddy....and I sat there drinking hot oolong tea while he knocked down the pints. I sooo much wanted to join him. I knew I wouldn't. There was never a chance. I've told too many people I'm going clean through til the end of the year and it's become too big in my head now, this challenge plus. Still, it's tough. The no sugar and no smoking pale. I never even thought of smoking last night. Sugar is a daytime problem but even that is OK. Still, as it gets closer to pms time it's going to be tough. I mustn't allow it to creep up and surprise me, catch me off guard when my defenses are down.

Well, I got to the gym yesterday and slogged through another 30 min of jogging. Really get a good sweat going, dripping off me literally. Then did a bit of weights. I am so sore these days. Today the gym isn't open til late and I must get out so I may take a day off. Otherwise I will take my stuff to work and go to the public sports center near the office on break and bicycle.

Had a reality check with my journaling yesterday. See my reply to econ below...

Sunshine Challenge
Day 18 completed no pauses allowed
No Booze
Day 14 complete no pauses allowed (started Nov. 5)
Day 14 complete no pauses allowed (started Nov. 5)
No Sugar
Day 12 complete no pauses allowed (started Nov. 7)
Write-it-down Challenge
Day 8 completed no pauses allowed (started Nov. 11)

mod -- Hello there! Good to have you back as well. Those ARE tough challenges, but you can do it! Why turn the holidays into times of guilt and excuses for eating garbage. Beautiful colorful fruits and celebrations of healthful food, this is what we should celebrate with. I think Halloween is the absolute worst. Thanksgiving is still about "real food," but Christmas is about all sorts of sugary things, isn't it? It's just not right. Here too, the yearend is about drinking and parties to "forget the year." What's there to forget when we keep doing the same thing over and over again, eh? Well, best of luck, mod! Move that booty!

And yes, you have it right, the plural of "crisis" is "crises," pronounced (cry-seez). CRISES refine life. In them you discover what you are. (Allan K. Chalmers) Sorry, these are the questions of my livelihood...

econ -- Hello, new friend! Glad to see you in here and admitting to your denial. I so well understand about the denial. It's one reason I don't like journaling and why I've made it a challenge. I got sick of whining about not losing weight when obviously something besides my efforts to lose was sneaking in there. Yesterday was a case in point. I came home. It had been a good day, I thought. And then I downed a whole bag of . I hadn't thought much of it. I wasn't even hungry. It just seemed comforting to do and I didn't consider the calories much. Well, the truth of it was, I didn't consider the calories period. Because when I looked on the label and, unusually, the calories were printed there, I was shocked. I had just friggin' no doubt blown the day's effort because I had consumed over 600 calories!!! Just like that, poof! And I hadn't even wanted it. I wasn't craving it, nothing! Oh, I was livid. But, it was a good lesson. Though I say I hate counting calories and don't even want to journal I am going to have to face up to the fact that if I want to lose weight, I am going to have to in some way be far more aware of what I'm feeding my face with!

tex -- Welcome back! Doesn't it feel good to get rid of something big?
Old 11-19-2008, 06:46 AM   #163  
Never give up

Red face 2 full weeks off sugar and alcohol!!

Heh, where is everyone?!
Made it through today. Did not go to the gym though I took my stuff. I was sore and just decided to chill today. I am not happy with my eating though. I feel like I am really overeating still. Next challenge is going to be to tally calories....

Sunshine Challenge
Day 19 completed no pauses allowed
No Booze
Day 15 complete no pauses allowed (started Nov. 5)
Day 15 complete no pauses allowed (started Nov. 5)
No Sugar
Day 13 complete no pauses allowed (started Nov. 7)
Write-it-down Challenge
Day 9 completed no pauses allowed (started Nov. 11)

Old 11-19-2008, 08:05 AM   #164  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Thumbs up New approach

Good morning! I'm sick but thought I'd come in and post a challenge anyway, just to get started again with that "accountability" thing.

My challenge is... to come in and post a challenge each morning, depending on what will work for me on a given day. No pauses!

Today is Day 1:
  • 7,500 steps (already went to the gym)
  • yoga (done)
  • Eat only seated at the table when alone (this is the one that'll save me -- no "comfort eating" on the couch, just nice hot tea and coffee)
  • Drink at least 3L water
  • Core
  • Journal
  • Get some extra rest
  • Self-treat with Reiki
  • Do something just for fun

Red, yeah, so easy to eat things reflexively. I'm trying to train myself to journal before I put anything in my mouth. Maybe I'll consider that added to the above...

K, I'd better get productive here. Let's take this day we've been given and make it work for us!

Last edited by Arabella; 11-19-2008 at 08:06 AM.
Arabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 03:04 PM   #165  

Red--thanks for the inspirational talk! I am feeling better and am still hanging in there! Last night, swam 90 minutes, today, going to go run in a little bit and hopefully get to the gym for strength training tomorrow. My cravings for comfort food I'm trying to fight and push and force back into the closet and lock them up tight (with multiple devices and deadbolts)!

Arabella--what a good challenge, to sit at a table when alone, to eat--no more eating on the couch or in the car, etc. I will try to keep that in the front of my mind as well.

econ--yeah the denial thing. I did so well with it I dropped it. But I think I should start it back up, really be mindful of what I am doing now. I need a refresher course.....

Hi everybody else. Day 2 in progress.......