Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 06:30 PM   #46  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

MEL....I just fried up a zucchini, then saw your recipe. Murphy's Law. It was good tho. got 1 zuc, and 4 cuke, and 2 yellow tomatos out of the garden tonight. It is all so good, I think I have OD'd on fresh veggies out of the garden. Not to mention the veggies one of the girls gave me at work. I ate a green pepper and 3 banana peppers and a red tomato at my desk today. All that should cause a major explosion soon. Watch for fireworks out of the Indiana skyway. hahahahha
Old 08-04-2008, 09:02 PM   #47  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Morning all,
Just quick rush through since I am about to dash into training Project systems and Intercompany accounting. You can tell I am just riveted about this can't you?

Nothing new to report here. Went to the gym yesterday, did 6km and 50 minutes on the treadmill. Went down this morning and it is all closed and locked up - it's supposed to be 24 hour. So I went back to my room and sulked. Anyway, that's life. Right, better be off.

PS - Happy - see what happens when you get up early?? The scale co-operates!!!!! Wish that happened with me!

Last edited by Shad; 08-04-2008 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Just had to congratulate Happy
Old 08-05-2008, 04:05 AM   #48  

Back again and having trouble getting advanced to work and show the last fifteen entries. Pooh. Now I will have to think - or maybe not. Nah it doesn't want to work and now I have another job to go and do. So I'll be back with some more later.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:20 AM   #49  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Annie's avatar makes me drool! Watermelon and corn - two great indulgences. Annie, aren't a lot of watermelons from IN? I visited a 3FC friend in southern IN and she was surrounded by fields of them. The northern part of the state seemed to be wall to wall corn!

MEL, those recipes are making me drool too! I sure wish I had a cook - Jamie Oliver would do.

I'm in my annual August funk! Every year in August, I get pissed off about summer winding down and look back on all the stuff I didn't get done - mainly in the garden and barn. It's time to make a realistic list and set some goals. I'll spare you the list that will include large jobs and a ton of niggles! I've decided to drop some community stuff like the cemetery board and the book club which will free up a bit of time this fall but have taken on the Victoria's Quilts thing. I may just make quilt tops and skip the meeting and fundraising part.

Disney seems to have recovered from her traumatic weekend experience. I have an appointment for a check-up for Hershey and will have the vet take a look at Disney in case there are any internal injuries. She's behaving pretty normally except she now cringes if there is a sudden movement toward her. Poor wee thing!

Time to just "get on with it" as my Mother would say when we whined!
Old 08-05-2008, 08:42 AM   #50  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Good morning ladies --

After the storms kept me up most of Sunday night, I went home and relaxed last night. I'm hoping that the weather will be nice at lunch so I can walk.

Happy - With today being Tuesday, does that mean you're doing weights today? Do you do that before or after work? I hope you have a great day!

Mel - So sorry to hear that your friend Clara is in the hospital. Sending healing thoughts her way. Also my condolences to the family that lost their DD...so very sad.

Annie - I'm so jealous of all your fresh veggies....I guess your garden is just way ahead of mine since you live in the "South"! (or at least south of where I live)

Shad - Good luck with training! Good for you for doing so well at the gym yesterday...bummer that it's closed today.

Ceejay - I hope your work day goes smoothly today!

Rennie - Do you still have company at your house?

Ruth - Is Disney relaxing a bit more now?

Patty - How are you and Blackie doing?

Lots to get done today so I'd better get a move on.

Love and hugs,
Old 08-05-2008, 08:44 AM   #51  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Ruth - Looks like I was posting at the same time as you. I'm glad Disney's doing better.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:54 AM   #52  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

pssst Ruthie - I'm the one with the watermelon avatar - Annie has a fairie - that is unless I'm going blind Of course then again you wouldn't be the first one to confuse me with someone else. Unless I'm so wretched that no one will say my name

I usually feel the way you do around our Labor Day which is the beginning of September and up north signalled pretty much the end of another summer. Since our warm weather extends into November I don't quite get the blues the same way but I can relate to the "I really need to get a handle on some things". Perhaps you can set aside one day - no board activity, no volunteer work - just one day a week to devote to something on the must do list. Remember that you eat and elephant one bite at the time so to say... I imagine it will take a long time for poor Disney to forget that horrid incident.

Shad - not sure why you keep having so many troubles with the site. Mostly it's just slow for me but I'll take that over your issues any day. Bummer that the gym was locked up. That stinks royally. Maybe the desk clerk didn't show up for shift change or is it just an exercise room that someone might have accidently locked? That's happened to me in hotel workout areas - I left not knowing and said something the next day - Oh that's NOT supposed to be locked. Duh.

Annie - hope your explosion wasn't too bad. I did see some flickering to the north last night and I can relate. But it's SO worth it for the fresh stuff, isn't it? I had a nice fresh mozzerella, tomato and basil with balsamic viniagrette side with an awesome steak DH made for supper last night. Ate only half, the rest is today's lunch. Is it lunch time yet? I grew some banana peppers last year. They are very easy to grow and quite prolific if you like them. I'd say you could probably get your fill for the season out of just one plant.

Happy shopping Mel. Thanks for the great summer recipes. I think I remember you talking about Clara. It's great that you will be able to visit her, I'm sure she will appreciate it.

Thank you all for the kind words. I just hope I can keep the downward trend going.

Thank you too Michelle for pointing out that you too struggled with the elliptical at first. That's very encouraging to keep plugging away with it. And I think because in your mind you are aware of the blood sugar issues you have, it will be motivation to stick with healthier eating.

Time got away from me this morning, I need to get a move on or there will be no parking for this chick at work unless I want to walk from Kookamunga.

Have a great day chicks and to those I didn't get to individually including lurkers like Carla
Old 08-05-2008, 08:55 AM   #53  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

and isn't this just the best avatar? I LOVE watermelon. This picture was so pretty I had to copy it from some ad.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:47 AM   #54  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Ok, I am getting rid of the fairy as soon as I find something else. lol
Old 08-05-2008, 12:25 PM   #55  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Duh! I really know the difference between Happy and Annie. I just associated Indiana and watermelons. Can you tell I was impressed by the quantity when I visited?

Just signed up for another Block of the Month quilting class for one Saturday morning a month. I'm an idiot! At least it's for me, not the community. I am going to cut way back on pet therapy sessions too. Six hours a week is a bit much for me and for the dogs. Disney perks along just fine but Hersh is getting old and draggy.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:58 PM   #56  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

Chili-Rubbed Salmon with Zucchini and Sauteed Corn

Ingredients
Serves 4
4 skinless salmon fillets (6 ounces each)
Coarse salt and ground pepper
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 pound medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise, cut crosswise into 3-inch spears (about 1/2 inch thick)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen corn kernels (4 cups)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup chopped scallions
1 container (16 ounces) prepared fresh tomato salsa (2 cups)
Lime wedges, for garnish (optional)
Directions
Heat broiler; set rack 4 inches from heat. Rub salmon all over with salt and pepper. Arrange on a rimmed baking sheet; sprinkle top of fillets with 1 teaspoon chili powder. Arrange zucchini around salmon; sprinkle with remaining teaspoon chili powder, and season with salt and pepper.
Broil until fish is opaque throughout and zucchini is tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil over high heat. Add corn and garlic; cook, tossing, until corn is tender and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in scallions and salsa; season generously with salt and pepper. To serve, place fillets on plates, and serve with zucchini and half the corn. Reserve other half of the corn for next day. Garnish with lime wedges, if desired.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:00 PM   #57  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

ARM IS KILLING ME.
MUST BE THE WHCHAIR CLEANING.
PUT A CALL INTO THE DR SEE IF HE IS AWAY NOW
WILL READ AND NOT COMMENT.
LOVE YOU ALL THOUGH
Old 08-05-2008, 06:11 PM   #58  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

Melody
Please take care of yourself.

D
They left this morning. Oh the quiet. I missed it. Today is full of cleaning house and doing laundry. Then back to the camp grounds. We are going to the state fair Friday and Saturday. Busy week, full of fun.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:27 PM   #59  

Morning all - Selamat Pagi - apa kabar.

Morning happy - with the watermelon avatar, which does indeed look fresh and enticing. Glad to hear the gym is going just fine for you and that you are intending to do the weights bits at home. Just do as Auntie Ceejay says and take it easy at first. I remember when I started on the treadmill, I walked fairly slowly for 20 minutes, then I gradually got faster, then I ran for a minute, and then 2 and so on. Now I can last out 50 minutes at a fairly reasonable speed. So it does work. If you come out of it with a good sweat up, you have done well. I don't understand the problem I have with the go advanced site, but I put up with it, because I need my worldly fix every day.

Mel - nice looking recipe that - but beef is like gold around here and they have no idea how to cook it, they can ruin a good piece of porterhouse in minutes and I am not paying 120000R for a piece of shoe leather. Sorry to hear that you have annoyed that arm again. You too are going to have to put a time limit on some of the things that you can do.
D'uh - just worked out that it is salmon and not steak. Says a lot for my mental health that!!!

Ruth - you don't have it on your own that end of season comes and we have not achieved what we should have. I'm on that list as well. And I have a list of projects to be done! The list does not mean that it will happen, unfortunately. It just means that you've thought about making it happen. This year I have achieved a couple of things from the list, but not everything. I suppose some is better than none.
Just seen the label above your avatar. Is the Lucy lily from your garden? Was it planted for a certain young lady??

Michelle - hope the storms go away for you so you can sleep and walk and do the things you want to get done.

Annie, your vege garden sounds delightful - be careful Michelle and Ruth don't swoop and capture the goodies.

Rennie - good to see you back again.

I have training scheduled for much of today. We're doing some NORMAL stuff like purchasing and requisitioning. It will be fun to get back to something completely practical.

I managed the gym this morning. Did some weights and crunches. Worked up a fair sweat, so I must have done a good 30 minutes workout. Then went back to the room to wash out the smalls and get ready for today. Speaking of which.......

I had better go and get emotionally prepared. I never realised how hard it can be with broken accents, mixed metaphors, and two languages being spoken together. I am learning but it's draining. Now I understand how my South American friend used to feel at the end of the day, when he only wanted to speak his native Spanish or Portuguese or whatever it was he spoke.

Last edited by Shad; 08-05-2008 at 09:29 PM. Reason: I keep finding things that I missed first time around.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:31 PM   #60  

Uh - I think the number of posts has got stuck again. Some years back I got to 27XX something and then it went back to a couple of hundred. Now I was about equal with Happy's number and now I am way behind. Either she is sneaking around making posts or mine is stuck again.
I don't really care too much. Just making a noise!!!! I know how long I have been here.
Closed Thread