Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 10:51 PM   #1  

Cool SugarBusters Weekly Support Board 5/1 - 5/7

Welcome to Sugarbusters!

This is the Sugarbusters support board, where anyone following, or interested in following, Sugarbusters is welcome to come for discussion, and support. We hope you will become a part of our great group!

We try to have different themes for different days of the week.

MONDAY: MMM, or Metal Monster Monday, is when we weigh in, and post our progress. This is voluntary.

TUESDAY: Is tip day- we try to share a tip, or two to help each other.

WEDNESDAY: Is Wonderful Wednesday. On Wednesdays, we share something wonderful about our selves, or our lives.

THURSDAY: Is Thirst Day! A reminder to drink your water! Its a good day to share a recipe too!

FRIDAY: Is FF, for Friday funnies. Everyone needs a laugh on Friday!

You are welcome to post questions, vent frustrations, whatever, but please be respectful of others and their beliefs.

Please take some time to check out our extensive recipe boards. Our RECIPE BOARDS can be located at the link below:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=89

Look for our QUARTERLY RECIPE BOARDS to post your favorite recipes and to see the most recently posted recipes. Recipes from the quarterly boards will be archived in proper categories at some point.

We have FIVE INFORMATIVE BOARDS!!!! Please take a few minutes to visit them! The boards are listed below as well as the link that will take you to the boards:

THE RECOMMENDED READING BOARD
THE TOOLS & TIPS BOARD
THE FOOD INFORMATION BOARD
MOTIVATIONAL & INSPIRING THOUGHTS BOARD
MY FAVORITE SB LEGAL FOODS

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=89

We also have a SB WEEKLY EXERCISE BOARD that you can log your daily/weekly exercises on which is located on our weekly support board:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...36#post1239536

NEWBIES: To post a reply, please hit reply and NOT new thread
Old 05-01-2006, 07:13 AM   #2  

Smile Challenges!

Get in at least three days of exercise. POST it.

Try a new recipe. Spice up an old one. Share your culinary successes, and failures!

Drink your water! 8 glasses at least!

It is up to us to use this week well...so DO IT!
Old 05-01-2006, 07:38 AM   #3  

Good early morning- just off to drop my daughter off at school, but a quick post before I go and then I'll post more later......

Monet- I did borrow my mom's meter and tested myself an hour before bed (about 3 hours after I ate) It was 120. I had no idea what I should be...but my mom said it was within normal limits. She's been diabetic for a long time, and knows what is good for her readings, but didn't know exactly what mine should be, so I'm not sure. I should say that I am adopted, so my mom's diabetic genes are not there, and there is none in my birth family, so that immediate worry is gone. Let me know whatcha think.

I'll post more later. MUNCH

Last edited by Munchermom; 05-01-2006 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:50 AM   #4  

Good morning! I am feeling a bit lazy and out of it this morning. I should get my shoes on, get dressed (not necessarily in that order) and go walk. I am dragging though... We won't talk about MMM just now. I don't want to start crying so early in the morning....

MUNCH: Its hard to say. 120 is the high end of normal. I think they consider normal levels 80 to 90 for fasting or between meals,and 120 the tops for after a meal. Over 140 is considered too high, and over 180 is considered diabetes. At 120, the margin of error could have been 100 to 140, so I would say (and I am not an expert) you are in the normal range, though a bit on the high side. It could have been what you ate, lack of exercise, the time you tested, etc. Maybe check it occasionally just to see what it does. I check mine before and after meals. Info I have read says it should not go up more than 50 points after a meal. (you test exactly 2 hours after you begin a meal) That has been helpful for me to determine if my food choices are good or not. So far, sweet potatoes and bread are bad bad bad! I am trying to figure out what is good and what is not. Protein, and veggies - especially salads, seem to be best for me. If I ate what the American Diabetes Association says is ok, I would be in a coma already!
Old 05-01-2006, 08:17 AM   #5  

Hello! MMM was about the same for me, I need to get back into my walking and hopefully will have time to do that this week. BUT, at least I am still maintaining the loss that I've had so far, so I don't have any thing to "lose over".

Our weekend was hectic and tiring, but fun. Our little dance school had a great showing at the competition. There were other schools there that had 10 and 12 performing companies and brought maybe 60-75 dances each! We had six dances that we did and Rachel was in three of them. Her three won two golds and one silver. We also won two judges choice awards-one for a dance being"understated, very clean and together" and one for choreography "good technique and nice use of the stage". So I think we did very well. My throat is quite hoarse this morning!

Hope everyone has a great day!
Old 05-01-2006, 09:24 AM   #6  

Good morning ladies!!! I'm still in the Bahamas, sitting in the airport. We fly out in about 2 hours. This is the first time I've been online, so I wanted to say hi. I'm tan and happy

Be back with details later!
Old 05-01-2006, 09:44 AM   #7  
Little Engine That Could

Hi everyone,
Well, I got in a 2 mile walk this morning. I have to confess that I took off about 3 weeks, maybe 4, and didn't walk at all. Didn't wear my pedometer. I was wondering if it really made any difference. Well, it does! My weight was up 2 pounds this week, but then I haven't weighed for several weeks also. So, I had a nice walk and know I will be better for it.
Monet, I'll think of you when I'm hitting the street and wondering if you are walking then too.
Breakfast was 1 sb. egg on dry WW toast and 1/2 grapefruit. Enough that I am satisfied.
Lunch will be with my DH right after I do my weight training at 11.

The workers came at 7:30 this morning and starting working on our big back porch. They have now jacked up the roof and are removing all the screens and aluminum framing. Soon they will frame in everything and put in the windows and do the walls. Without the screens it looks brighter out there already.

Hope everyone has a great day.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:14 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Good Morning Ladies.

it is Derby Week and the City of Louisville is quite crazy. And of course, the good ole Ohio Valley weather sucks. Lots of activities going on this week. Today is the bed races, tomorrow, run for the rose', where groups run with full trays of wine, Wed the great steamboat race, Thursday our parade, and Friday the Oaks and Sat the Derby. It is such a shame the weather is going to be crappy. We won't do anything but the track for lunch on Wed and Thursday we go to a big Derby party, Oaks on Friday and maybe Derby.

Sat we went to the mini marathon to watch the runners. It rained the whole time. We didn't stay as long as usual.

Got a pedicure and my nails done after that. Then shopped for bunco prizes.
Yesterday DD & I shopped all day. Last night I fixed all my dinners for the week. Yippee! Now all I have to do is heat them up. Also cooked up a bunch of eggs for salads and a quick breakfast.

Someone mentioned making your own bread crumbs. Well I have been freezing all my heals and extra bread. Yesterday I toasted and blended them all up. It really works great. WW bread crumbs. So I breaded some chicken for chicken parmasagen (sp).

The MM has we down 1 pound today. Friday, I was down 3. But after the weekend, I totally deserve the 1 and not 3. Switched clothes around yesterday and tried on shorts from last year. None fit. i was so disappointed about it. I thought I was at least the same as last year. Now I will have to buy some shorts before vacation, if I don't get in them. Ugh!

bf: 2 hardboiled eggs.
Lunch: roast beef sandwich (1/2), veggie chips, tangelo
Dinner: chicken parm, veggies.

Monet, I'm sorry the scale is being to mean to you. Try to hang in there and not let it get you down. You are slowly figuring out what you can and can't eat for you bg, so it will all work out in the end.

Gator, that sounds like a big job. I love screened in porches. Glad to see you are back walking.

BOB, I actually think weighing and measuring the food is kind of fun. I know I am weird. But it really makes you think about it before eating something. I'm surprised the doc didn't check your blood level while you were there. Waiting to hear the results.

Talitha, sounds like you had a great trip. Can't wait to hear the details.

Thin, congrats to your DD on her competition. Sounds like she is quite the dancer. I remember when my girls did all that stuff. I was always a nervous wreck the while time.

Munch,

Got to get busy. Have a great day.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:20 AM   #9  

Ok, I really don't want to talk about this, but I need to stay honest with you all. I have no reason to be embarrassed...my eating has been about perfect as can be, and I walked six days last week, but with the medication I am on, I gained three more pounds last week. I wish I could say it was water, but I don't think so. I think the extra insulin is doing what it does best in my body...instead of keeping sugar levels low, it stores fat. So, I don't know what will happen over the long haul, but I am back up to where I was two months ago, and I don't have much hope of ever losing anything. I will keep on eating well, and walking because the alternative would be frightening...and my family would miss me.

GATOR: I SHOULD be out there early, but this morning, I crawled back into bed and slept another hour and a half. Boy, it felt good! It is so cold here, I am tempted to do it again just to get warm under the covers. The sun is out, though, and when this second cup of espresso is gone, I need to get out there and get in two miles too. I so wish I had a walking buddy. It would be so much nicer to walk with someone. Maybe I can make friends with an MP3 player....
Old 05-01-2006, 12:51 PM   #10  

Good morning ladies.....

Been very busy with our house. We had the new carpet installed last Tuesday. And then I got busy tearing down my computer desk so that I could move it into our bedroom. This way the little bedroom will have some room in it for when Bill comes home, and when Vicky comes to stay. I couldn't get on line after I moved the computer because our phone line didn't reach from one side of the room to the other. Finally got to town and bought a longer cord. I am all hooked up and ready now. I can't believe how different our bedroom looks with the new carpet. It is huge!! Before it still looked like two rooms because they had put in the carpet, and then tore out the wall, so that each 1/2 of the room had a different color of carpet in it. Now it looks fabulous!! We have been putting in a sub-floor in the hallway. We had put one in the kitchen a few years ago when we updated the floor, so now that we are doing it all in laminate it needs to be the same height. We will get started on putting in the flooring on Saturday. I have been staining my moldings, and replaced our bathroom light fixtures. What a difference that made. You can actually see to put on make-up now!! I have also been revamping the small bedroom. I want to make it look nice for when Vicky gets here, but I don't want to make it too Froo- Froo, because Bill stays in it when he is home. So I need to meet somewhere in the middle. I am having trouble finding a comforter that I like. I got the curtains, sheets, and some wall hangings. But can't seem to find what I have in mind for the bed.....just have to keep looking I guess.

Eating has been fairly good, not 100% but not anything I am beating myself up over. I was able to get to Curves 3 times last week, and walked 3.2 miles on Tuesday. Ted had a Dr. appointment on Thursday very early in the morning so I wasn't able to walk then. It seems that one of his disks has deteriorated a great deal since he had his surgery in 2003. They want to try injections into the #4 nerve to see if that is where his pain is stemming from. First they have to get the OK from the insurance. Then they want to do some kind of bone test. (Not a bone density test). I sure hope some of this helps, I know that he is in a lot of pain. He can't even stand up straight anymore!!

Well, sorry no replies this time, but hopefully I will be back soon.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:37 PM   #11  
Addicted to potato salad!

MMM..155...the usual. But its my own fault...I made potato salad this weekend to have with hamburgers on WW buns. It's just that time of year...it gets warm out, the windows are down in the car, up in the house, and the sun is shining, the lawn mowers are going, the sheets are on the clothesline and I just get a real hankerin for some potato salad!!

So, today I'm ripping apart my front porch and getting all the winter scurv off it. And trying to come up with a place for my old loveseat that's on it. If I put it in the basement, it'll get moldy...put it in the garage and it'll get full of sawdust and garage smell...put it in the barn and it'll become a mouse home. So, there it sits taking up space for my new wicker loveseat. And the amount of dust and grime that accumulates out there all winter...its truly gross. Bleh!

I'm getting a real urge to start writing again. Don't know if you all know, but I was in the midst of writing two romance novels, but then realized how much time it took away from being with the kids. But now that my front porch is getting a makeover, I'm getting a real urge to sit on it with my laptop and continue where I left my heros and heriones and continue their journeys. One of my novels is a time travel romance, but I've been battling whether I should make them high schoolers or young adults and the other is about a young, pregnant woman who loses her really jealous husband in a car crash...an in order for him to cross over, he has to help her find a husband, from beyond the grave, to help her raise his child. It's really funny and I tap into a lot of my old dating experiences and I'm having a ton of fun writing it...I have a LOT of personalities to work with in my memory bank, that's for sure. Anyhow...maybe I'll whip out the ole laptop today...maybe.

Okay...I'm making 15 bean soup from a bag of dried beans. Some of those beans are HUGE! They look like CLAMS!! I may pick them out and not eat them. They look gross. I also got some split peas and will make them someday, but the 15 beans looked pretty in the bag...not so much in the soup. But it smells pretty good!! I'm taking Talitha's advice and cooking them in the crock pot.

Back to the porch...
Old 05-01-2006, 02:21 PM   #12  

Well MMM was good to me today. I lost 2lbs. Yeah!
This motivates me to be extra good this week. Am drinking some water right now and doing laundry.
This is just a drive by will check back later. KayeC
Old 05-01-2006, 02:45 PM   #13  
Little Engine That Could

Monet--No, you have no reason to be embarrassed. And even if you did, you still would really have no reason to be embarassed. Because you are a special Child of God, and that's good enough!!! No one is perfect, and we each are dealing with whatever issues we have in various ways. I don't know why some people have weight problems and others don't. My DS is thin as a rail and doesn't eat much differently than I do. I can't explain why we have different body types. But we do, and I am trying to keep focused on what is important in life. I also try to exercise and eat healthily, but there are times when I am not "perfect" according to some set of dietary "rules." But in the grand scheme of things, I'm OK, and so are you. Just do your best, Monet, and don't worry about the small stuff.

I forgot to mention this morning that my BIL, the one who had the intra-vascular lymphoma, has cancer again. My DS called this morning and they just found out. She doesn't have any details yet, but I know she is devastated. I just hurt so much for her. Keep her and her DH in your prayers. In the eternal perspective, I don't have great news for him either, and that is even sadder.

Lunch today was a fish filet pan sautéed along with some sautéed spinach at a restaurant with my DH. Probably more oil than I would use, but it was just fish and veggies.
We sat on the patio of the restaurant and watched the immigration protesters march along the street. There were thousands of them, with flags, and signs in Spanish (!) and some even carried Mexican flags (!) and shouted stuff in Spanish. There may have been 10000 marchers. It was interesting.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:31 PM   #14  

Hi everybody !!
Things here are pretty good. No OT this week! yeah. But wont be surprised if its back next week. Oh well, Im going to enjoy this week while I can.
My eating is stinking. Ive done well today but for 5 days last week I just went way off course. I dont know whats wrong. I just seem to all of a sudden have no self control. Im just taking each day as it comes. Today I have totally stuck to what I had planned out last night for today so one good day down. After Im done here Ill put what Im going to eat in writing for tomorrow.
With the nice weather here now Im not finding any time to be on the computer. DH is supposed to get our bikes down and get them ready to ride. I can hardly wait. DD and I have been walking 2 x a week for an hour and last week we did 1 hour one day and the other we pumped it up and did 1.5 hours. Said wed try to do that and maybe even do 2 hours once in a while.
Plus Im still getting in one step cardio class a week. The other days I have backed down abit but try to get in at least 30 min of something.

Gator- good to hear your back walking. It not for your weight its good for the heart I will keep you bil in prayer.

Solly- Ive never been to a horse race. And I even use to live a few miles from the Santa anita ( I think it was called) in Ca. I tend to weigh my food too. It does make you more aware of what you are eating.

Monet- Hang in there. Right now you need to concentrate on your health worry about the weight later. I know it must be totally frustrating. Sounds like you are doing a great job on your walking !!

Colleen- SOunds like alot of you are remodeling !! Glad things are going smoothly.

Tech- thats neat that you like to write. Thats one of my dreams to do. But I just never seem to have the time .

Hi KayeC- great job on the loss !!

Hi to all that I missed.

About a month ago I started in my womens ministry at church. This is a new church so its a brand new ministry. It really has been a blessing. We have a small group started Friday nights ( and there is some others during the week) but I go to the Friday night group and have been blessed to have my dd and my dn there too. We are all getting to know lots about each other. Like seeing sides weve never seen . But I have met some wonderful women and look forward to growing friendships.
So besides work, exercise, household stuff, church and sewing and all the other million things us women have to do thats about all thats new with me.
I hope everyone is doing well !
Old 05-01-2006, 10:49 PM   #15  

Good evening all... late night at work tonite. I stayed and did some extra stuff- there is a little girl that dances at our studio- I see her and her mom and brother every week. Well, there has been a rash of awful crimes here lately and her father was the victim of one of them. He was just closing up at his restaurant and this evil guy came in, demanded money, and when he was told the drawer had been emptied and the delivery made to the bank already, he shot the poor man. He didn't live- and now this poor little eight year old girl and her brother have no dad. Its just awful. We are sending out letters to all our students to ask them to make a donation to his family. So thats why I stayed extra. Please keep this family in your prayers if you think of it.

Cindy- I am sooo with you on the out of control eating thing. I almost feel as if I have the same addiction with food as someone would with alcohol. Its soooo hard!!! But it sure sounds like you are getting in your exercise!!! Way to go! Have you recently changed churches, or just joined one starting up? I am in the process of doing that now- the one we are at is just too far for us to drive every week and I hate to leave it, but its wearing on us- we can't participate in anything during the week- its just too far!!

Gator- I loved what you said about balancing health, eating, and important things of life. Thats what its all about. How easy it is to lose perspctive and get caught up in the scale going down. Thanx, I needed a good "kick in the butt"!!! I will pray for your BIL and his family. How awful.

KayeC- Congrats on the loss!!!

Tech- Gee, I ate some potato salad this weekend too! We must've been visited by the spud fairy. OF COURSE you are a writer- you are sooo eloquent (and darn funny) with words. You always put a smile on my face. I love reading your posts. Good luck with your porch. I have a big front porch also. LOVE it. I have a hammock swing (one person) and I live in it in the summer.

Teensy- How wonderful about your bedroom!! I have often dreamed about knocking a wall down and enlarging my bedroom- (but then I'd have to evict one of my children... ) My husband had a disc removed abiout 11 years ago and then had to have rods inserted. He has been great ever since. Back pain is awful. I went thru sooo much with him prior to that. Hope Ted is ok and they can locate the source of the pain!

Monet- Hang in there- your body just may need a period of adjustment to regulate its internal function. All of a sudden, its getting something it was lacking, and it needs time to figure out how to work with it in your system.
You are doing what is best for your health. Things will get better.

Solly- I need to make meals ahead of time- I used to do that a LONG time ago!!! Makes making last minute BAD choices not so easy!!! I sure do wish I could watch that run for the Rose'!! Sounds really funny!! Whats the reason/ tradition for the wine??

Thin- sounds like Rachel is an incredibly talented dancer!!! How wonderful!! Good for her for all her hard work- preparing for that is not easy!! Tell her to keep up the good work!!

BOB, Talitha, anyone else I missed..... sending hellos your way!!

OK- I'm tired and have to get my butt in bed- see you all tomorrow.

Sweet dreams, MUNCH
Closed Thread