Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 04:44 PM   #61  
Little Engine That Could

Monet==I understand exactly what you are saying about Easter. I am blessed that Easter exists, because without it I'm doomed (if you know what I mean), but all the eggs, chocolate, Easter dinners, etc. is not happening at our house. Used to, but my kids are the same as yours! So every Sunday is an Easter and we just have a regular Sunday, which will be pretty low-key this week.
Re. your blood sugar levels, why don't you check out the diabetic website on About.com. And perhaps a cookbook or food plan from the diabetic section of the book store might help get those blood levels where they should be. That and exercise, and eating just right to keep the blood sugar from getting too high or low, however often that has to be for you, will get you back on track.
I'm sorry to hear that your energy level is so down. That's not like you, is it? Probably related to the blood sugar.

My day has been hectic to say the least. First I had someone show up that said they were sent to do the sprinklers in the front yard. I thought they were going to add 3 new heads to give us better coverage, but they didn't do that at all. In fact, I'm not even sure they sent the right guys to do the job, but my DH was on the golf course and unreachable. So, if something is not right, he will have to sort the mess out since he was the one dealing with the sprinkler people.
Then the guy who is gonna redo our porch came over and spent almost an hour here talking about all our options. A lot to think about!
Then the cleaning lady came and our vacuum conked out. Then the other vacuum conked out!!! She must have a hex with her!! Anyway, I called up the vacuum people, who sent someone out to see if they could fix the hose (which was the problem) and I ended up buying a new central system. I already have a central system which is over 10 years old. They will give me $600 off the regular price for everything included and I told them that if they knock off another $100 I would buy it, so they said yes and I said yes! Quick and easy. A new hose costs about $300 (it's 35 feet long) so it was more cost effective to get a whole new system.
So now I am using my robotic vacuum to vacuum the rooms that didn't get vacuumed really well.
I didn't get to eat lunch until 2 pm. and I was starving. I actually ate while the vacuum man was here.
We are going out in about an hour, and I still have to get ready. So will sign off.

BOB--The chicken sounds good. Actually what you are fixing for yourself sounds better than that for Kate. I love cooked greens. Stay away from those dumplings!!!!
Old 04-14-2006, 10:36 PM   #62  

I just got in from the Tennebrae service at church. Its a solemn service based on the seven last words of Christ on the cross. As each word (or phrase as the case may be) is considered, a candle is snuffed out until the whole room is dark. It was awesome.

I am tired, and need to check my bg before I head to bed. I only got in 8k steps today...even with the walk. I am bummed. Its the first day since last Friday I did not go over 10k. I could go walk around some, but I am just too tired!

GATOR: As usual, we have a lot in common. This Lenten season I read a really good book by Walter Wangerin, called Reliving the Passion. It is a daily devotion book and awesome. If you can find it (its out of print now I think) buy it and use it next year. Awesome, awesome! I am sure you will be blessed by it. I have been reading online stuff on diabetes. I can't believe that many of the places tell you to follow the food pyramid and eat six to eight servings of breads, and starches a day! I about fainted! Sugarbusters is actually the BEST plan to follow for diabetes, so I am being really careful to follow the plan. It takes a while to get the sugar levels down is what I have heard from several folks who went through this, so I need to be patient. It is not my strong suit, I have to admit. So, SB and exercise...who would have thunk it? (if I had behaved, I would not be in trouble here...)

Ok, off to check the bg. If it is good, I will post it!

Old 04-14-2006, 10:41 PM   #63  

Yay! Its the lowest bedtime level yet!
Old 04-14-2006, 10:42 PM   #64  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

EVENING EVERY BUDDY!!

I'm back with COMCAST as my INTERNET PROVIDER and also bought a new hard drive. When I was setting it up, I checked INTERNET EXPLORER as my BROWSER, but when I connected, NETSCAPE came up..does ANYONE know where I go to change over to IE???

KAYE...In time, you will know that I'm a CHICKEN FREEK!!!! I absolutely love it especially on the grill. Also, I'm a big fan of FRESH GREEN BEANS and KALE...the kale doesn't taste like spinach..to me, it's milder..I love it and even ate it as a child! The dumplings won't bother me...HONEST!!!

MONET..You and TOM have a good time and don't even think about the kids. They'll find something to eat. Are y'all going to go out somewhere? Will Tom wear his shoes?

I'm off to finishe setting up my computer...I'll check back later about the browser.

BOB
Old 04-14-2006, 10:51 PM   #65  

BOB: You can set your default browser. Check in the settings part of IE and there should be an option to pick it as your default browser. Personally, I use Mozilla Firefox and love it. We have no plans at all for Easter. Tom wants to go to tree climbers, a club he belongs to that climbs trees with ropes and saddles, like rock climbing. I will probably stay here and chill while he is gone, and meet him at church in the evening. And no, he will not wear shoes. He climbs barefooted, and goes to church barefooted.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:46 PM   #66  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

Monet...I'm just a ditz when it comes to these kinds of things. Would that be in the control panel? I don't see anything that says settings.

I should have known he would be barefoot!!! What are you going to do...knit?
I dropped Susan a line, but she must have gone to NC for Easter...

GATOR...I sent you notice of the change in the email address and it came back "fatal error"...I'm sending you a PM

Later

BOB
Old 04-15-2006, 12:07 AM   #67  

BOB: Open up IE, and click on tools...then options. There should be something in there about setting it as default browser. I may knit, or I may get brave and try out the pool. Tom opened it today. It will be pretty cold, but I will survive! Maybe it will burn off some sugar trying to stay warm!
Old 04-15-2006, 06:05 PM   #68  

Good gravy, the board is DEAD! I went out to breakfast with Tom and a friend of ours today. I had a piece of multigrain toast, and two eggs scrambled with cheese and bacon. I drank at least two large cups of coffee. Lunch was left over rotisserie chicken and salad, and I snacked on some macadamias and almonds. Then, out of curiousity, I checked my blood sugar levels and it was the absolute lowest yet!

I hate talking to myself, so I am going to go look for some activity elsewhere....

Old 04-15-2006, 09:24 PM   #69  

Monet- I'M HERE! It is very quiet in here! Pretty lazy day here at home today as well. We went to BJ's this morning and the kids are coloring easter eggs now. The rest of the day was just cleaning house, etc. We're cooking out with in laws tomorrow and they have their pool open now, so the kids might get in. I don't venture in till it's in the nineties though! Have a Happy Easter!
Old 04-16-2006, 01:27 PM   #70  
Little Engine That Could

Monet--Here's a website about diabetes, and a lot of it will seem familiar to you as a Sugarbuster. However, there is a link to the forum for you and you might find that helpful. Happy Easter to you and to all those on this board who celebrate our risen Lord.
http://diabetes.about.com/od/mealpla...etdiabetes.htm
Old 04-16-2006, 01:43 PM   #71  

Greetings all my buster buddies! We had a big breakfast in lieu of my fixing a big dinner. Tom was going to go to treeclimbers, but procrastinated too much and now must finish the taxes! Silly man.

GATOR: Thank you for the link. I had already looked at that page. As many other diabetes pages, they lose me when there are recipes that have white flour, potatoes, etc. in them. I spent a good bit of time over the last week reading different articles and web sites. I am not finding much 'new' stuff, since I have been interested in insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome in the past. I guess I am on the right track with my eating, as my bg levels have come down a LOT in the past week. Most folks say it takes a good while to get them down. Yesterday, I had one reading that was a mere 50 points above normal. After being over 4X the normal rate, that was pretty encouraging. Of course, today, with the breakfast I ate, I had to check the bg out of curiousity, and naturally it looked bad! We are going to head out for a walk in a bit. That should help. I think we will take the long route today.

Off to get ready to walk!

Old 04-16-2006, 04:44 PM   #72  

Happy Easter,

My dinner turned out well and we had it in the dining room on the new dining set! New product review--Shedds spread spreadable butter. It has butter, canola oil and buttermilk in it. I had it on an English Muffin and thought it was quite good. Certainly less chemicals than margarine. It was spreadable but not as much as margarine but certainly easy enough.
We have a beautiful day here in Wichita and went for a drive to look at Kia Sorrentos. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Gonna go nap. KayeC
Old 04-16-2006, 07:15 PM   #73  

Happy Easter! Just popping in to say I'm back from my trip to my sister. Had a wonderful week end. I'm plain pooped from the trip and will be good to go tomorrow....
Closed Thread