Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 07:21 AM   #16  

Good morning! I slept ok last night. Perhaps some of my problems were blood sugar related? I do know the overwhelming fatique was a symptom I did not know about. I thought it was from my thyroid! My levels are down some, but not as good as yesterday morning. I am hoping the mid day one is good.

I have my arts team meeting tonight here. For dinner I am cooking a roast in the crockpot, and fixing probably mashed potatoes and a green veggie. I will NOT eat any potatoes. I might fix a salad, since I had a lot left last night. I teach this afternoon, too. I sure missed the kids last week, but SO enjoyed the week off. Summer is going to be wonderful!

Breakfast this morning will be eggs. Maybe scrambled with some cheese. I am still debating on whether I want to eat a piece of toast. Even whole wheat bread has a somewhat high GI of about 50.

I will be back in a bit. I hope everyone has a wonderful BUSTER day today!

Old 04-11-2006, 09:20 AM   #17  
Addicted to potato salad!

Hi everyone. Just a quick visit. I'm having a WW mini bagel with peanut butter and strawberries for breakfast. Oh, and coffee, of course Yesterday for dinner we had fish fries from the local diner. I had mine broiled and gave my fries to Kyle. The veggies that came with it look like they were steamed last thursday and have been nuked a few times since, so I passed on them. So, I had an orange afterward. For lunch I had a ham sandwich with lettuce and cheese on sourdough. I went to Superwalmart to buy a few more produce items and to get things for Derek's 45th birthday tomorrow. He's really not been taking it too well along with everything elst going on in his life, now he thinks the prime of his life is over. I keep telling him, "are you kidding? It's just begun!!" Type thing...but he's not buying it. My parent's are due back from Florida on Friday and we're having Chicken Ala King for dinner that night. Not exactly legal, but my parent's love that type of dish. And I'll be so happy to see them. I have to clean my house because my poor mother really does get a rash at my shoddy housekeeping habits. She never says anything, but I can tell . So, while I was at Walmart, I decided to buy material for some new curtains in the kitchen. Blue gingham this time...I am addicted to gingham...and I have toile in my dining room and living room. Right now I have green apple gingham in my kitchen, but I'm getting sick of them and they were my first attempt at curtains and I've wanted to do them over since I did them. We have new neighbors in that horrible house next door that's been unlived in since we've lived here and I feel like I'm on display with the little toppers I have now, so I'm making longer curtains I can tie back when I want sunshine and drop down when I want privacy. I have to do my shower curtain for the bathroom, too. I also might hang some things on the line...sheets, maybe...it's a nice, sunny day today. anyhow...a few replies before I get out the sewing machine....

Colleen: So glad your mom is coming around so nicely! THAT has to be a load off your mind. She's lucky she has you for a kid, that's for sure!

Monet: I LOVE leftover meatloaf. I imagine you must really make a killer one! See...the silver lining of your diagnosis is that now you're going to be super stringent about not cheating, not even the least little bit. Sticking to plan has taken on a whole new meaning for you now and I bet you're going to be feeling super fabulous before you know it. I recommend TONS of green tea. I know you agree with me of it's subtle, yet awesome, effect on your total well being. I've been drinking glass after glass of green tea I'm making in my iced tea maker. I mean, one whole pot a day! You don't even need the maker, just make some hot tea and pour it over a glass full of ice and add some splenda. So refreshing. And good for you!

Thunder: I'm so sorry you lost your aunt. At least the suffering's over and she's in a better place now. I guess this will be a year of having to set new holiday traditions, as well. Hugs and prayers to you and your whole family...

Cindy: Isn't it great to get out in the sun and enjoy the outside again? It's supposed to be a winner here today and tomorrow, as well. We took Junior down by the boat launch last week and he had a ball bouncing in and out of the water and chasing the birds. Enjoy your overtime pay! Hope they give you some time to spend it!!

Talitha: My son lived in the onesies all summer. I even got some with cool patterns at Walmart with little alligators and things so they looked more like an outfit. Are you really that far along and not even showing yet? Man, I was in maternity clothes the minute I found out with both mine. I'm short-waisted and both my kids stuck out a mile in front of me by the end. Nothing like growing out of maternity clothes!! And the dinner you had...nice batch of veggies...not only are you eating well for yourself, but the baby is benefitting tons, too!! Keep it up!! When I was PG for Shelley, I had a grilled ham and cheese with egg salad on top for lunch almost every day ...it was just good at the time...

Toni: Have fun at your sister's!!

KayeC: So, you had coffee at a coffee shop, then went shopping? Wow...you're my HERO! Someday, I'll have a morning like that, too!!

Gator: I've been reading what Monet has to say closely, as well. On my dad's side of the family, every single one of his brothers and sisters is diabetic...and I favor my dad's side of the family. I am also remembering my dad's eating patterns through his life and think that the combination of genetics and bad habits contributed to his condition today. So, I'm hoping that starting relatively early in my life, I can avoid the same.

Thin: Hope we don't have to staple your pants to the seat of the wagon...

Julia: I hear ya with missing Jess when she's at school. When Kyle's at preschool, I don't come home because I hate it here without him in the house. I'm in big trouble in the fall when he goes to kindergarden all day. I'll be completely lost without him.

Solly: Shoveling...anything!...definitely counts as a workout! I have mucho yard work to do, too...but it's still kinda wet out and I hate mud.

Oh...and did I tell you that we had Junior shaved last weekend? He looks like a geek again, but he feels and smells fabulous!! I washed his paws off last night with such ease. It's so nice to love him without wearing him!! Will be back later...sorry if I missed anyone!!
Old 04-11-2006, 09:23 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Good morning ladies,

It is going to be 77 here today. I may walk at lunch time. It is hard going to the gym when it is so pretty outside. We may take off one night and walk instead. Got 26 minutes on the EFX last night. The longest ever. Even pedaled backwards. Then wts for the last 40 minutes.

We had gotten a late start due to DD being late and we didn't eat dinner until 8:00. I hate eating so late. I was way under my calories yesterday. Don't now how that happened. I can tell today, I am hungry already.

bf: protein shake with skim milk and strawberries
salad: salad-carrots, bacon bits, cheese, red cabbage, onions.ff dressing
dinner: pork chops, maybe a half sweet potato and veggies.

The cupboard is so bare, but I need to hold off until the weekend and do my Easter shopping too.

I hope everyone is making a plan for Easter. Plan ahead, take some legal snacks or things to eat for yourself. Like monet says, if you fail to plan, then you plan to fail.

Our dinner is pretty legal, ham, green beans, some type potato and a salad, deviled eggs. I usually make a corn beef too. It's the snacks ahead of time that get me. DD is making some hot dog croissant thing. I think my niece is bring veggies. I think I will do some type of cheeses. My sister brings pies, but they don't really tempt me.

Thin, one day at a time, one meal at a time. You can do this. You have choose what you want, that food or to lose wt. If we stop and ask ourselves that before we eat whatever, we would be better off. Now to practice what I preach.

Ken, I can't believe your DS is already crawling. They grow up so quickly. Is Jess enjoying her school time?

Teensy, nothing more depressing than rain. You can't walk and then you want to eat. Vicious cycle. Hang in there, the sun will shine tomorrow. (sounds like a song doesn't it?) Glad your mom is doing so well.

Gator, where have you been? Sorry the scale was up. .5 lb isn't much and could be anything.

KayeC, Hi, glad you got a day off.

Toni, sounds like a fun trip. Enjoy your weekend.

Talitha, I wouldn't worry about the gain, the baby has to grow at some point. It seems all pregnant women have a big gain at some point. Sorry about your family. I know it is hard especially with the baby coming. Can you parents come to your house?

Cindy, at least you are getting paid for the OT. Like you say, the extra money is always welcome.

Thunder, sorry about the loss of your GA. It is always hard, no matter how much the blessing.

Monet, I have never put sugar in my meatloaf. Stay away from those potatoes.

Got to run, Have a great OP day.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:33 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Tech, we were posting at the same time. Sounds like you have lots of work to do before your parents come home. Sewing and cooking and cleaning. Have fun with all your sewing projects.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:19 AM   #20  

Busy, busy day planned here.. Anyone suprised? I ahve to return things to TArget, Ikea AND Joanne Fabrics. I got carried away last week trying to plan some deco for the kids room. Yes, room singular. One girl 2 boys.. I'm not ocncerned about them sharing,b ut the decorating is driving me CRAZY!! First I wnt to Joann's in a panick and spent $100 on fabric saying I was going to make comforters for them. THen I found an ADORABLE bedset for Selah at Target and one that is very similar in colors and shapes but has dragons on if for Jake (at Ikea). So now I ahve to return the fabric to Joanne's, the extra comforter to Target, becasue I had picked one for JAke that woudl go but wasn't great. ANd I got curtains at Ikea that are jsut too much. All in all I have over $200 of returns and I don't want to have it laying around and be too late or destroyed by the kids and stuck with it!

So I'm going to go do errands and I'm goign to see if I can go take Robert out for an hour to talk to him. Just so you know a little bit, in the past 3 months he has broken into someone's house, stollen a BB gun, slashed someone's tires and now he is getting sexually curious and it quite nearly involved my children and did involve taking inappropriate pictures on my cell phone. He's got the body and urges of a 14 year old, but the mind of an 8 year old. But he's completely unsupervised and copying all of these things form TV. WHen asked what he took pictures of with my phone he didn't know a word to describe private parts. Only thatin Karate class they call it a 'groin' when you pull it. THey are neglacting educating him, and it's dangerous. He has no idea what to do with himself, or why his body is changing. They treat him like he is 5, but let him watch telivision that I couldn't watch at 16. ANd he runs around the neighborhood at will, unsupervised. In 4 more years he can be tried as an adult. He's like the guy in 'Of Men and Mice' but I know he can be helped. He's so sweet. And right now he thinks I just hate him for what he did with my phone and that my kids were around. I need to go talk to him and explain that I'm worried and sad for him, but I love him and I want him to get help. Maybe if he ASKS my parents to get him help, they'll get a clue.

B- 1/2 a grapefruit 1/2 a chocolate SYmphony bar I know, it was stupid. I saw it there and the next think I knew it just jumped in my mouth!!
S- 1 mango
L- Boiled Egg, Spelt Pretzels, String cheese and an apple (I'll be iun the car doign errands to I'm taking easy snacking stuff)
S- Celery with peanut butter?
D- LEftover turnips and carrots. Not sure what else. FReezers getting low..

The SCALE put me down 5 lbs this morning of the 10 form yesterday. MAybe it's jsut posessed. I'm leaving it alone now. I have my appt with my midwife tomorrow,s o we'll see what I've really gained.

Monet- DFM this friday? Maybe? I need meats to grill, and some of your recipies!! I'm so sorry abotu the insulin and everything. That would be scary.

Solly- I don't think my parents will come to my house. They have 7 other kids in town who could care less about the problems and are going to be at their house. THey all jsut think Robert is stupid and who cares if mom and dad don't.

TEch- There are so many cute onesies out there. I'm so excited to have a summer baby this time. It's going to be so different. I am deffinitely showing. I'm almost 7 months!! I just meant that there hasn't been a big change inthe past 2 weeks to warant a 10 lb gain. Shouldn't I notice something like that?

Teensy- sounds like your mom is doing great!! I know that must be a bit of a relief! SHe's lucky to have you.

Thunder- I'm so sorry for your loss. We are here for you when you have time to be on

Gator- Did you get your package? I sent you a little something extra since it took awhile. Sorry about that

Ok, off to knock off my to do list.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:33 AM   #21  

So, the fact that I'm 27 weeks pregnant didn't hit me until I saw my little ticker and that there are only 2 pictures after this one!! When I added that ticker we were in the green!!
Old 04-11-2006, 10:53 AM   #22  

SOLLY: I did not add the sugar to the meatloaf, but to the sauce for the topping. I usually don't do that, but I was cooking for church, and have to admit, it was awesome. Just a tad of sugar in ketchup and some mustard, and spread it over the top. The meatloaf was very moist..I think it was the can of diced tomatoes.

TALITHA: DFM Friday..YES! I think Laura will come along too. I really need some bleu cheese. My guys have been complaining about the lack of stinky cheese! What time? I will have better luck getting Laura up and out if it is not early. I guess if we do lunch there, I can find something I can eat. I will have to pass on the samosas.

TECH: I have some real Japanese green tea a friend of my son's gave him when she went back to Japan. I love the Genema with brown rice in it. Guess I ought to try it iced. I do love it hot..but you have to be careful not to oversteep it or it gets bitter. Have you tried the flavored ones, like peach and mango? I like them too.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:25 AM   #23  

Good Morning! I am back down to 220 this morning, so only 1 more to go to my ticker and then plenty more after that! I need to start planning and getting myself psyched for summer. I am out with the kids and we really do not follow much of a schedule. I try to get projects done around the house and we go swim etc. which will be more chance for exercise, I just need to find a way to stick with my eating plan and drink my water. I think I just need to start planning and getting my head around it, if you kwim?

Sean's surgery has been scheduled and I am actually anxious for him to have it and see if it helps as much as the doctors think it will. He has been having headaches since he was 7 and he is 14 now! He has been so miserable with it. Over the years, we had sinus x-rays done, vision tests, looked at "trigger" foods etc. and nothing added up. Well when he first visited the allergist/ENT they sent him for a sinus ct scan and he has calcifications and scar tissue in his sinuses. any little bit of irritation and it closes off the opening so they can't drain. I've spoken to a couple of his doctors (even though this is outpatient, I still don't take it lightly!) His pediatrician basically says, this is why I sent you to the allergist, if it's going to help do it! The neurologist even went so far as to say that he does not want to see him again or change the headache meds till after we have it done and then he is going to try to wean him off the meds! Wouldn't that be awesome! I really agree with them after seeing the scans, but it's nice to have other professional opinions as well. So they will just go in with an endoscope while he is asleep and remove the tissue that should not be there. They also will remove his adnoids as he is a mouth breather at night. I was worried about the packing they use after the surgery and having it removed a few days afterwards. They used to say that was the worst part of the whole surgery, but now they use packing that is made of collagen and it melts out. What will they think of next! No swimming or exercising for 1 week, then back to normal. He will have this done on June 5 after we get out of school for the summer.

Talitha- Have agood time with your brother.

Monet- Glad to hear the bg falling!

Everyone else- have a great day!
Old 04-11-2006, 12:28 PM   #24  

I am so excited! I just got the lowest bg level yet, and its a LOT lower than this mornings...I am feeling much encouraged.

THIN: My husband had similar surgery twice. The second time, the surgeon was fabulous and he was back at work in less than a week...and no packing like the first time. THAT was gross! It helped Tom loads. I hope it helps Sean, but I bet it will!
Old 04-11-2006, 01:59 PM   #25  

Good morning ladies....

The sun is peaking through the clouds for a minutes and it is beautiful......just wish it would stick around. When I got up this morning to head to curves, I opened the front door to head out and bedded down on our front lawn was the little doe and last years fawn that we have been feeding this winter. I guess she wanted to make sure she got fed!! They should be striking out soon and not need to be fed. They are such beautiful creatures.

Not much planned for today. I will do some light house cleaning as dh is home today. I should have got at it yesterday but with TOM (first one in 3 months) I wasn't feeling too good. I was really hoping that TOM was gone from here on out, but I guess not......

Mom was doing great this morning. She is looking forward to getting her bandage off. Her appointment is at 9 on Friday morning. Then I think we will hit Costco. I need a bunch of stuff.

Tech-- I wish I had your sewing skills.....there are so many things that I would like to attempt to make. But, I haven't really sewed since high school!!

Solly-- Wow that is quite a work out!! I want to go for a walk too, but it is raining again. I am hitting Curves 5 days a week until I can get back to walking, then I will only go 3 days a week and go back to walking 3 miles on my off days.

Talitha-- It is nice that you are willing to take the time to explain to Robert why you were upset. What is the deal with your parents?? Don't they see that he may need some extra help?? Your ticker shows only 90 days left.....where has the time gone??

Thin-- Good luck to your son on his surgery. It will be so nice for him, and he will feel so much better.

Monet-- Glad things are looking up for you. May you have many more good counts. Hang in there.

Well, I am going to go get busy.....see you all later.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:30 PM   #26  
Little Engine That Could

Talitha, Yep, I got the package. I posted that I got it last week, and also thanks for the little lagnappe.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:14 PM   #27  

I sat down to watch a bit of foodnetwork..and fell asleep. Which reminds me.

Where is Nicolee? Country? BOB? Other MIAs are Melf, Princess, Fillise...and Dsquared and Dripping...
Old 04-11-2006, 07:53 PM   #28  

Monet- did you happen to catch Racheal Ray and her fruit tart? She used lemon instant pudding, fresh fruit and graham cracker crust. I thought about making it for dh and kids to try, but is there any way to make a legal graham cracker crust?

Also, anyone want a kitten!?! We have another litter of new ones that were born over the weekend. I swear that must be the worst thing about living out in the country. People dump their cats and dogs they no longer want around and they take up with us! We just got Salem and Blair fixed last week and we have kittens anyway!
Old 04-11-2006, 08:51 PM   #29  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

GOOD LATE EVENING EVERY BUDDY!!

I'm here, just been so busy...These idiots are all cramming in to get everything done (procedures, etc.) before they hit the ON RAMP after Easter. I'm just DOG TIRED when I get home and could care less about anything! I NEED A VACATION!!!

MONET...I'm still having issues with my computer...I can't get into my Gmail at all, and there is a problem with my EARTHLINK program. I called customer service today when I got home and actually talked to INDIA!!! They have "outsourced" their "help" department to the other side of the world!
I'm seriously thinking about going back to COMCAST HIGH SPEED. I still can't figure out why your email got bounced because you've been in my address book for a hundred years! Like I said....PROBLEMS!!!
Glad you had a good reading today...keep it up!!

Ladies...I'm sorry for no replies tonight, but hopefully tomorrow..I'm going to pile my big ole arse up in the bed....there's a good MAFIA movie coming on at 9p.m.

EVERYONE HAVE A GREAT REST OF THE NIGHT!!!

BOB
Old 04-11-2006, 09:39 PM   #30  
Little Engine That Could

Thin--I'd probably watch out for any puddings, SF or not. I think pudding uses a lot of corn starch to make it thicken, and that stuff is high on the GI ratings. Try SF jello instead, although it won't be the same, I know. You could make parfaits with it, layering the jello with layers of SF cool whip or whipped cream. Top with fresh berries and also layer them in and you have a nice dessert.

Monet--Glad to hear that your sugar levels are coming down. Keep up that good exercise.

I had lasagne for dinner tonight. Not totally legal. I had the equivalent of 1 lasagne noodle and the rest was low fat cheeses or no fat cheese, plus low fat homemade spaghetti sauce and some spinach added to pump up the veggies. That's all I had, the lasagne and some iced tea. I'm trying to be very aware of being satisfied and not eating too much. I think one of the "laws" in the Leptin book said something about eating small meals.

BOB--Hold on there, gal. The snowbirds will be gone in a week!!!

Talitha--Sorry to hear that your brother is having so much trouble. And that it is causing you trouble too. Is he 14? Is he intellectually challenged? Or just "hormonal" like boys that age? Is he the youngest in the family? I'm surprised to learn that he has been in trouble, as I know a little about your family values. Again, I'm so sorry, but think you are doing the right thing to protect your children at all costs. Good luck to you.

Gotta go. Need to clean up the kitchen.
Closed Thread