Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 10:36 PM   #1  

Cool Sugarbusters Weekly SUPPORT Board 4/17 - 4/23

Welcome to Sugarbusters!

This is the Sugarbusters support board, where anyone following, or interested in following, Sugarbusters is welcome to come for discussion, and support. We hope you will become a part of our great group!

We try to have different themes for different days of the week.

MONDAY: MMM, or Metal Monster Monday, is when we weigh in, and post our progress. This is voluntary.

TUESDAY: Is tip day- we try to share a tip, or two to help each other.

WEDNESDAY: Is Wonderful Wednesday. On Wednesdays, we share something wonderful about our selves, or our lives.

THURSDAY: Is Thirst Day! A reminder to drink your water! Its a good day to share a recipe too!

FRIDAY: Is FF, for Friday funnies. Everyone needs a laugh on Friday!

You are welcome to post questions, vent frustrations, whatever, but please be respectful of others and their beliefs.

Please take some time to check out our extensive recipe boards. Our RECIPE BOARDS can be located at the link below:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=89

Look for our QUARTERLY RECIPE BOARDS to post your favorite recipes and to see the most recently posted recipes. Recipes from the quarterly boards will be archived in proper categories at some point.

We have FIVE INFORMATIVE BOARDS!!!! Please take a few minutes to visit them! The boards are listed below as well as the link that will take you to the boards:

THE RECOMMENDED READING BOARD
THE TOOLS & TIPS BOARD
THE FOOD INFORMATION BOARD
MOTIVATIONAL & INSPIRING THOUGHTS BOARD
MY FAVORITE SB LEGAL FOODS

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=89

We also have a SB WEEKLY EXERCISE BOARD that you can log your daily/weekly exercises on which is located on our weekly support board:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...77#post1219677

NEWBIES: To post a reply, please hit reply and NOT new thread
Old 04-16-2006, 10:42 PM   #2  

Lightbulb Challenges!!!

I am going to walk at least 5 times this week. Anyone want to join me? Out do me...go on! Get in more than 5 days of exercise this week. I double dog dare ya!

I am going to be trying some new recipes this week. How about you? Post it if it is good...and review it too!

I am going to do something NICE for ME this week. I deserve it. You do too...so you do that too! When I decide what it is, I will tell you! I want to hear what YOU do for YOU too...

Old 04-16-2006, 10:47 PM   #3  

To each and everyone of you:

I was in critical danger last week, and right now, as I am coming to understand just how bad off I was, I am extremely thankful I have this board, and all of you. Thank you for your support. It means more to me than you will ever know.

Old 04-17-2006, 07:38 AM   #4  

Good morning. I'm avoiding housework for a minute to post. I didn't do too bad over the weekend,b ut certainly could have been better. Ugh. There's just too much junk available!!

I've got a busy week planned, as usual, but I'm hoping to get in to the Y 3 times. I've been making it 2 a week. It's getting cumbersome with this big belly, but I need it. This is my spring cleaning week. I'm going to target today to buy some big tubs to store stuff in the attic. So all of the sorting and scrubbing should burn a few extra callories. It all depends on how my back holds out.

Ummm, I hear something suspicious being clanked aorund in the kids room. SOunds like glass. Be back later...
Old 04-17-2006, 07:58 AM   #5  

MMM was not a good one for me. I was up 4. I am sure it was mostly water weight, but it still hurt to see it. I have walked five out of seven days, and my eating has been stellar.

I got a reply to an email I sent to Fillise...she is busy busy busy...said her dad had been back in the hospital and Miss Belle is sick.

Old 04-17-2006, 08:57 AM   #6  
Addicted to potato salad!

Monet: We're all so glad to be here for you. I'm just glad that you caught your situation early and at a time that you can actually do something about it. If caught early, diabetes can pretty much turn your life around and I think that's what it's going to be for you. Now you have a new focus...don't worry about the scale, worry aobut the numbers you get from your tests...the scale is just ...what's the word I'm looking for?

Talitha: You are such an inspiration to pregnant women. I gained 50 lbs with both my pregnancies.

Well, Easter here was fabulous. I went to church with my parents at their little Lutheran church that 's over a half hour away. I love going to a Lutheran church because I was brought up in one and it always feels like going home to me. But that half hour drive is what it is in GOOD weather and in bad, I don't even want to think about it. Anyhow...I had my parents over for Easter dinner...my mom helped me make scalloped potatoes and I made a most excellent ham from WALMART! I also made scalloped corn. And I had candy galore. AND...I'm right smack at 155 this morning. Go figure. I figured I'd be well over 160. I also made banana creme pie with sugar-free pudding. And then my mom, Shelley and I all played board games while the MEN watched TV. It was so nice. VERY off plan, but nice anyhow...back to it today.

Okay...off to get my day started!! So far I've had Kashi Autumn Wheat or something or other...they look like shredded wheat...for breakfast and for lunch I'm making more bean soup. I'm addicted to beans, I think

Talk to you guys later on!!

Kris
Old 04-17-2006, 09:38 AM   #7  
Goddess

Hey!

Monet and BOB have each kicked my butt this week (THANKS!) about not being on here. I plead insanity! From now until June 6th (our primary), I will be INSANE! For those of you who are new to the board, I am, among other things, a political consultant.

It was also a bad week last week. My DF was back in the hospital (the 4th time since Christmas) and Miss Belle is sick. She either has a very bad kidney infection or chronic renal failure. The vet thinks its the latter. I'm taking her to the vet in a few minutes where they will draw blood and we will know more about what we are dealing with. I don't even want to think about what will happen if the numbers are still bad. . .

She doesn't act sick and we wouldn't have found this if I hadn't taken her to get her teeth cleaned. He found the problem in her pre-op blood work.

I will be on as I can for the next couple of months. I will probably be lousy at responses, but I will try to check in every now and again to let you know I'm still alive and to make sure all is well with everyone.

Love you all!
Susan
Old 04-17-2006, 12:56 PM   #8  

Just kind of a fly by. Unpacking and stuff from our excellent week end away. My puppy Jackson is lonely today because he had another puppy to play with all week end and loved it. My niece gave me a pot full of herbs she had started for me. The basil already looks big enough to eat. I got a new toaster oven and tried toasting my whole wheat bagel in it for breakfast it turned out just perfect especially when I put cream cheese on it. Its nice and warm out today. And living in Ozarks of Missouri its just beautiful with the dog woods blooming and the trees budding out. Better run and get DH lunch ready he'll be home soon.....
Old 04-17-2006, 02:02 PM   #9  

Good Morning--

Hit Curves this morning, and Monday's are hard after having two days off!! Stopped by Mom's and paid some bills for her and took her to the DOL to get the tabs for her car. Sliced some veggies for her and am now back home. THE SUN IS SHINING, but it is still very cool!! We had frost this morning!! I am planning on taking Buddy for a walk soon, as I am not sure when we will be able to do it again. My daffodils are in bloom, and the weeds are growing at an alarming rate, due to all the rain.........will I ever be able to catch up?? Vicky is planning on surprising her Dad for his birthday in May, so I want to have my yard all looking nice. Hopefully I will get some nice weather that will let me work outside. Right now it is so wet in all the flower beds that you really can't do anything yet anyway. Come on sunshine!!

Monet-- We are all so fortunate to have you here for us each and every day. Thank you for all that you do for us!!

Talitha-- You are doing such a great job.....so many times being pregnant, a lot of women use it as an excuse to eat whatever they want.....you are AWESOME!!!

Tech-- Way to go, glad that you had a wonderful Easter......and enjoyed every moment of it!!

Fillise-- Hugs and kisses for both your DF and to Miss Belle. Stop by when you are able.

Toni-- You make Missouri sound wonderful.......it has warmed up here a bit too, and my sinus's are paying for it!!

Okay, I am off to get something done today......see you all later.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:28 PM   #10  
Little Engine That Could

Well, I was the same today--no loss at all, but no gain either.

I am trying to pay very careful attention as to how much and to how fast I eat. I am trying to make each meal last at least 20 minutes, and hopefully 30 minutes, especially for breakfast and lunch. Dinner can even be longer. I am just tired of measuring and weighing and so am trying to be so aware of even the first inkling of feeling "satisfied" (not full). I just started this today and will let you know how it works. I had a small bowl of cereal and fruit for bf. and was totally satisfied. For lunch I had about a third of a chicken salad sandwich on WW bread, with part of a small side salad and some fruit. I realized I felt satisfied, so I stopped eating. Dinner will probably be the rest of the sandwich and salad, if I even need to eat all of it to be satisfied.

Monet, you said "I was in critical danger last week, and right now, as I am coming to understand just how bad off I was, . . ." and that just sounds really serious to me. What do you mean, exactly? Were you ready for the hospital??? We care 'bout ya, girl!!!

I have French class tonight and have been studying really hard to be prepared for the class. We are learning all kinds of ways to say things like "Unless the rain stops, we will stay at home, provided that the roof doesn't leak. I will call the roof guy in order that he come tomorrow and fix the leak." Etc. etc. Stuff dealing with goals, intentions, limitations, such as "in order to, depending on, provided that, to plan on, except, only if" etc. It can be confusing since what you say to express it will determine the verb mood that you use.

I did my weight lifting this morning. It was hard, as usual. The trainer constantly adds more and more weight as I progressively get stronger, so that I never have an "easy" session where all the weights have become easier for me to lift.

Fillise--It's good to "see" you. Hope all your guys win.

I hope everyone has a great day.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:50 PM   #11  

GATOR: My blood glucose levels were very high, coupled with high ketosis, which is an indication of ketoacidosis when combined. Any levels over 400 are considered alarming. My initial reading was 485. Coma, and death are the result of untreated ketoacidosis, where the blood becomes too acidic and causes damage. The problem is you usually don't have symptoms that would tip you off to it until you pass out. These levels are even more scarey as I realize how long they have been building. The glasses I got in December are no longer the correct prescription, because my eyes have improved THAT much in one week! I am no longer sleepy all the time, but able to sleep at night. Stress exacerbates the problems with bg regulation, and with the wedding, in addition to some other stuff going on, I was just slammed. Then, I got sick, and illness will also make it worse. Lets just say, that Easter, and the idea of New Life is very appropriate to me. I am thankful to be alive.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:55 PM   #12  
Little Engine That Could

Monet--I'm amazed that a ton of people haven't died that were following Adkins diet, because they want you to go into ketosis with that plan. We are all glad you got checked and found the problem in time.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:33 PM   #13  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

EVENING EVERY BUDDY!!!

Just got home from work and y'all were the first people I thought about ....let's hear it....AWE....

No weigh in for me today..I'm just getting started again and I don't want to be disapointed! I made it through EASTER DINNER...I did have just a few dumplin's just to say I did, but mostly ate GREEN BEANS and a BEAUTIFUL WHITE SWEET POTATOE baked in the oven. The beans were the best I've had so far...TASTY!! Today for lunch, I had green beans and some buffalo chicken tenders..tonight??? I just don't know yet..

MONET...I did realize the trouble you were in, but didn't want to scare you. The same thing happened to a dear friend of mine and his wife called me in the middle of the night saying she couldn't wake him up! He had gone into a diabetic coma and didn't even know he had diabetes!
Your situation has sure put me on guard! With my Maternal GM having had the disease, I could very easily contract it without knowing also. I used to keep regular check on it. When I lived in Lexington, I had a standing order in the lab at the hospital where I worked to have a fasting blood draw very often. My cholesterol and triglicerides are off the charts and all the fat that I carry around my midsection isn't good either...especially with a Father who died from a massive coronary at age 54!!! Can I say KICK MY ARSE????

I'll be back if a few...got to go fix Kate some supper!

BOB
Old 04-17-2006, 05:33 PM   #14  

GATOR: Ketosis is NOT the problem. It is only a problem if you are diabetic, and have hyperglycemia...or high blood glucose levels. Normal people with normal blood glucose levels can go into ketosis and it is not a problem. It is the combination. Usually, your blood glucose level is low on Atkins, due to the low carb. Ketosis is totally safe in those conditions.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:38 PM   #15  

BOB: We were posting at the same time. I have a suggestion I WISH my doctor had made for me. Buy a glucose meter. They are not expensive. You can check your own bg levels once a week and see if they are getting too high. If I had had a meter, I would have known long before I was at a critical point that something was wrong. If I had not gone in when I did, I shudder to think what might have happened. I have seen glucose meters on ebay for about $10. I have a One Touch Ultra and it is very easy to use. The strips are expensive, but it comes with ten, and you don't need many. I bet you could talk your doctor into giving you a script for say 25..so you can check your levels and keep tabs on it.
Closed Thread