3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Sugar Shakers (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sugar-shakers-62/)
-   -   Sugar Busters Weekly Support Board 7/23-7/29 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sugar-shakers/7710-sugar-busters-weekly-support-board-7-23-7-29-a.html)

Adams_rib 07-24-2001 12:13 PM

Im still alive

HI girls,I'm still here just been going through a bit of depression sounds like a few of you have been too,big hugs to all who are it can feel soo much like you are alone but of course when you seperate yourself from the world what do you excpect right :) at least that is what I keep telling myself anyways.I say Kymn get back into it dont sit around moping it doesnt do you any good and no one wants to be around that.SOOOOO I am back.My hubby and I did have a good night when we went out thanks for asking all who did.And Derek my son,had a great time at his sleep over little turkey didnt want to come home :lol: it was so strange waking up and not having him here.I cant belive how he is growing up.He had speech thereapy yesterday it went well.He has trouble saying K sounds and G sounds and some s blend sounds so want to nip that in the bud before he starts kindergarten.
In dec of this year I had a miscariage I was 3 months pregnant and had a d and c.During those 3 months I had put on 20lbs boom just like that and I havent been able to loose it.I dont know if it is emotional that I havent gotten over the miscariage and am somehow holding onto the weight or what but it is really starting to bother me.Also after that we tried for 6 months to get pregnant again and then found out that I was not ovulating,kind of hard to get pregnant that way huh.Anyhow,the doc put me on the bc pill for a couple of months to try and kick start my system and I just finished the last of my pills this weekend so I am feeling a little scared that it didnt work cause now we get to try again,at least when I had to go on the pill I didnt have that deep depression at the end of my cycle when my period came cause I knew it was going to.anyways gals just thought that maybe saying this out loud or typing it I should say might help me deal a bit better.Sorry to ramble,got to run to the vet now so you all have a great day and I will try hard to make it to chat this evening.My husband is in chicago so as long as derek is occupied I might be able to swing it.If not talk with you soon
Bye for now
Kymn

THE BIG ORANGE BABE 07-24-2001 01:15 PM

OH MY GAWD.....BOB IS A HURTING PUP

Had my surgery yesterday....THREE DIFFERENT KINDS !!

Bone....GUM....and ROOT....(clipped and trimmed (already had root canal) the end of the root...)
I had an abcess on the end of the root, and the pin that was inserted at the time of the original root canal had broken off and was laying on a nerve! OUCH!!
SOOOOOOOOOOO I'm stitched up...drugged up..& laid up!!

FROGGIE I was gagging the whole time they were eating thoses eyeballs!!! Makes me wonder if this stuff is real??

DEBCONGRATS ON THE ANNIVERSARY!!! I should be skinny when I leave here...this agony might be worse than the dungeon! I CAN'T CHEW!!! I CAN'T EAT!!! I did stop on the way up and bought some pecan meal for fixing oven fried chicken....also some peaches (YUMMY) and some MATERS..I have been able to eat the peaches and the maters since they are somewhat soft and I can manage on the one side...I'll already be primed and ready to go by the time I get to your house!

NANCESorry I wasn't able to get on the board yesterday!
If you could see my CHIPMUNK CHEEK right now, you would thoroughly understand!! If I keep this up, I'll be down with you...OOPS these drugs are giving me courage....

I had the DRIVE FROM **** coming up here on SUnday. I got on the interstate at 5am and it took me 45 minutes to go a twelve minute drive...had to pull of the interstate and into a gas station to wait out the rain! I bought the Sunday paper and sat there for what seemed forever! After I got out of Fla...I didn't run into any more rain... I understand that the whole state is like a
MONSOON yesterday and today...It's raining here and I can't get out anyway...tomorrow I'm going out pain or no pain to get my veggies...I'm about to OD on the these good maters
and will probably wake up with a face full of acid zits

SEF Sorry you've been out of commission...hope you're feeling better...

MELF I CAN RELATE TO YOUR MOUTH PAIN

ANNE I'm so glad to finally be able to put your face with your typing finger

FLY Yes, please bring some of that wine when we all get together...I'm going to get some BILTMORE VINEYARD wine when we converge! I've never had it, but understand that it's really good....especially their MERLOT

KAREN & GATOR Maybe you two can hook up..I think it would be fun for you to do that...

[/b]GATOR[/b] The countdown has started...We've got to get our bet lined up...

[/b]KYMN[/b] Sorry you're down in the dumps...I hate to be in that kind of funk...we're here for you...

[/b]RALYNN[/b] sounds like you've got yourself a good cook...the French eat the correct way....how long will she be with you?

MARIE I didn't realize that it got so hot up there...humidity too? I guess I just associate you being way north and supposed that you had cool weather to go along with the
map location DUH on my part

Well GALS I'm off to prop up...I've just taken a BIG dose of drugs, and they will hit me shortly...

I'll check in later....

BOB

sef 07-24-2001 01:32 PM

My friend called today. They are in Oh until Monday and have decided to go to IN to see Then they are swinging down here to pick me up. I will probaby stay until the 17th. Two weeks is enough. M does not diet (and looks it, of course I am and look like I don't too), so the food situation is always made into a mountain from the proverbial mole hill! We can't just eat, we have to make a big deal because Shirley won't eat this or that. Also, you know how they say opposites attract? Well, this is a case of that. I'm quiet and low key, don't draw attention to yourself. M is loud, always makes the center of things, and runs the show. But we have been friends for 47 years and are always laughing. So it must work out, but the first time I spent a month with her back in NJ, I knew it was too much. My last visit was 2 weeks and that was good length of time.

Guess I'll have to prepare a couple of small projects, I've told you she's an early to bed, late to rise person. I want to do some Christmas towels and bibs so I'm sure I can keep out of trouble while she sleeps! I usually go to bed at 1a and read until 2, up by 7 or 7:30. If I ever have to go to a nh, I'll drive that staff crazy!!!!

Funny thing M's dil and ds were on Atkins when I was there in April. Ds travels a lot and was even in Singapore and still lost, so he has determination! But every time they sneeze M is saying it's because of the diet. That she heard this or that about any type of plan and it's all negative. Her ds had lost 38# at that time and looked great. He has apnea and uses the machine when he sleeps, takes it on all his trips. I'll have to ask him if the weight loss helped any. I saw someone discussing their situation with that on the board.

Okay, I've rambled enough. Time to read the posts and get busy.

FROG - Hope you feel better. Especially so you can CHAT!

DEB - I knew you weren't taking it personally! I was just busting you chops! Like I said I was talking about myself but know there are others who feel the same. I have learned through your posts that you are sensitive to others, but are not sensitive about yourself and can take a little razzing!!

RALYNNE - You are learning so much about another culture. When we do nice things it sometimes comes back to us. Lucky you.

KAREN - I always learn so much here. You sound like a good tourist agent. Want to pack my bags and go!

NANCE - You must know about "The Perils of Pauline"! You always leave us with a cliff hamger! At least we know it isn't like Dallas where it was all a dream! We know you have a happy ending! So "Tell Us More! Tell Us More".

ADAM - I hope all works out for you. I know they say that a miscarriage must be for a good reason, etc., etc. But it doesn't help does it? It didn't help me and it was an unplanned pregnacy, but once we knew it we wanted the baby. I know you have been struggling to overcome your grief and worry. You must be strong to do all that. So do that deep breath, shoulders back, knockers up thing and you will cope! You are in my
prayers and thoughts.

Gotta go! In more ways than way! Coming unplugged has more than one meaning!!!

Take care, sef

Melf 07-24-2001 02:32 PM

I slept so much better last night with the pain medication & I had some relief of this jaw pain until my GP checked me this am & insisted on checking the jaw again. Ouch! I could have cried. But enough of the complaining, right?

ROSALIE, Sorry you weren't able to find something for the week-end. Sounded like you were really looking forward to spending the time with your dd & gc. Our temperature here in SW LA have been pretty bad. Highs in the 90's. Yesterday I think it was 95. Right now, the humidity is surprising low for us, just 85% with heat index of 97 degrees. Like my chiropracot said yesterday, it's too hot around here, even for the cajuns...LOL

Debbie You are so right. We do things to ourselves like stuffing ourselves with stuff that is bad for us in place of doing productive things like exercise in the name of "comfort". I'm glad walking does it for you. It did for for for a while too, but I let myself get out of the habit due to the heat & humidity. I just couldn't take it. Made my heart palpitate too much. Felt like I couldn't breathe. But I should have replaced it with something else. I am hoping to get back to my exerciser as soon as things level out for me with my back & this mouth pain. It will come. I've come too far to blow it now.
Now I hope we didn't drag you down too with all of us being in a slump! But I'm sure your day with Eli will fix you right up...RIGHT? :D

FROG, That is sooo true, we do try to push our emotions down with our fork. In my case with the dessert Sunday night it was the urge to cry from the pain I was feeling. But whatever it is...it's not a good way to handle it & I know it. Thanks for the reminder.

BUTTERFLY, I have also used SUGAR TWIN BROWN SUGAR SUBSTITUTE & liked it. I use it in my scones recipe. I'm afraid many of us here are emotional eaters. Like FROG said in her post above, we push the emotions or try to anyway, down with our fork. What a wonderful love story. Sure DOES sound like you made the wise choice. My first marriage lasted 18 wonderful years. This one has been 10 &1/2 years of happiness. I have been blessed with 2 loves of my life.

Gatorgal So good to see you on the board again. Have missed you. Thanks for the well wishes. I just had a call from the hospital asking when am I coming back to work. I really don't feel up to it yet, but hoping to return Thurs which is my next scheduled day. Hey, the beach sounds pretty good with this heat. Think of me when you're there. hehehe

AMSERAPHIM, What wonderful pictures! Soo glad to be able to at last put a face to your name. You look as sweet as you sound in all your posts & our chats together.You said all those were taken last summer, right? Can hardly wait now to see the new you. I have saved these to add to my collection of SB gals. And what a beautiful shot in front of that cascading stream down the moutain! Loved it. Sounds like FUN FUN FUN time with the 2 nieces visiting. Enjoy!

SEF, Yes, I remember you had suggested it might be TMJ. It definitely is more painful in the jaws these days & the headaches are horrible. I could sit & cry sometimes with the pain. But life must go on & I'm trying to get my life back in order. I don't know how I'm going to handle it, but it looks like I'm back on the schedule as of Thurs. I told my DON that I don't think I can handle the 12 hrs, though, so she'll have to work with the schedule some more.

lDBLOND, Hope your schedule calms down a bit so you can take a deep breath & relax some.

Ralynne, Your exchange student sounds like a jewel! We did exchange students from Guatemala back in the early 80's. We even had the opportunity to visist them in 1985. Spent a week there. Such a beautiful country & the people are too. Through that first exchange student came her cousin who became my best friend. She came back to visit when my oldest daughter got married, met her husband during that visit & never left! She lives not too far away from me now. She is also very thin & their eating habits are very different than ours, but I love her cooking.

Adams_rib/KYMN Yes, depression is hard to deal with. Join the club girl. You are in good company here. Yes, I would safely say that several of us on this board can smpthasize with you on this one. The causes may all be different, but the results are the same. In your case, the miscariage. Sorry you had to go thru that. Prayfully you will have good results after the pills the dr gave you. It may take a while, but wait on God's timing. It is ALWAYS right. Meanwhile, rejoice in the child that you do have. He sounds super. My middle daughter has only one child also. He is 13 & 1/2 now & for so long every month she waited on pins & needles praying not to see her period. Sometimes she'd miss it for 3 months at a time & when she'd finally start she was devastated. I think she's finally come to terms with the fact that she may never have another child. She's 35 now. She started baby-sitting a 4 y.o. daughter of a friend of her's & she said "Mom, maybe this is why I am not having another child. God knows I may not be able to handle it" LOL You've got to understand though that this 4 y.o. child talks non stop...LOL Sorry, just had the urge to share that with you.

Nance, Sorry your puter is down. Hope you don't suffer from too much withdrawal! LOL

Bob From your description of the surgery....YES!!! you can relate to my mouth pain & I to yours!!

BelindaWannabe Finally had a chance to go back & read your initial post. Thanks for sharing so much about yourself with us.

Well, I'm off to nap with my friend Mr. Heating Pad.

ralynne99 07-24-2001 03:13 PM

Hello ALLL!!! :wave:

BOB- Sorry to hear about the visit to the dentist. Those usually suck. The exchange student Marie is a riot and will miss her when she leaves. She goes home july 31st and her b-day is the 30th. Last night she was watching Independence Day and this morning watch Godzilla and remember how the french were in that movie to help get godzilla. The frenchman took a drink out of the coffee and spit it out and she says," Yes, american coffee tastes like ****." She loves the word ****, she says it all the time.

Melf- Sorry to hear about your TMJ, sounds painful. I would let the exchange student come back at any time. She wants to come back during the winter for the snow. She would like it for a while.

Well gotta go time to go home from work. C-yall.

GatorGal 07-24-2001 05:39 PM

Karen--Thanks for the info on Wisc. If we go it will be after the 20th. In fact, it will be over our anniversary on the 24th. My DH wants to play golf for .5 and also one WHOLE day--36 holes that day. I definitely would not be excited about that. He would be with the guys and I'll be on my own. That would be in a town called Kohler. Are you anywhere near that, Karen?

Am--Loved the pix. You and your sister remind me of me and my sis. She is just skinny and could eat a ton of ice cream and still be skinny. I think I got ALL of my grandma's genes--she was plump. You are not plump, from your pix, but looks like your sis, like mine, got all the skinny genes. Life is not fair!

Have been studying french for over a month now and got a chance to put it to use today. I was at the Crisis Pregnancy center and some women from Haiti came in for help. They did not speak much English, so between their english and my French we did pretty well. Have class tomorrow night and am anxious to move along and get a lot learned. The hardest part is actually listening to someone speak and trying to figure out what they are saying.

BOB--Looking forward to that bet. Did you hear that one of our star guys, a recruit from LA, had a heat stroke at one of the voluntary practices, and then, as a result had a heart attack. The last I heard last night, he was in a coma at Shands hospital in critical condition. Horrible. Lots of prayers going out for him all over the Gator internet boards.

Have a great evening all.

GatorGal 07-24-2001 05:46 PM

Hey, BOB. How do you like the gif above. I got it off the USA today web site. It was illustrating an article about gators taking over Florida. Watch out all you northern gals. When you come to Fla. the gators'll get ya.

Frog--when you come for the marathon, you can just run fast enough so that you won't have to worry about the big lizards catching up with you!!

Melf 07-24-2001 06:32 PM

The board is a little slow today. I went take my nap with Mr Heating Pad & only 2 posted while I was gone...LOL

Rosalie I posted that recipe for the Zucchini Piza. Check it out when you get a chance.

GatorGal That football player is from right here in Lafayette. I just heard a report about him on the evening news that said the same thing you did. Still not good.

Well, got to go. dh will be home soon. Got to start thinking about supper. See ya'll :wave:

karen3000 07-24-2001 06:52 PM

BOB - OWEEEE--that sounds like it hurts big time! Sorry you had to have all that happen at once. Take good care of yourself so you don't have any additional problems.

Gator - this is really weird, but, we will be camping very close to Kohler the week of August 20 (arrive Monday and leave on Friday)! Otherwise, Madison is about 2.5 to 3 hours from Kohler. We just found this campground that looked really nice and decided we would spend our annual end of summer camping trip there. I have never been to Kohler but my husband had a conference there last winter and I can ask him about what there is to do there. I was wondering if your husband was coming to golf at Kohler--I believe it is the premier course in Wisconsin and has the only 5-star restaurant closeby. Therefore, it will also be expensive, so that's why we haven't gone. My husband is not ready for a course like that yet. Kohler is just east of Sheboygan, hey! home of the Sheboygan bratwursts (brats for short and just a little WI humor there:lol: ) Probably about an hour north of Milwaukee's northern suburbs. If you come during the week we are camping there we could spend some time together while your husband is golfing--that would be fun. I'm sure we could find something to do!! Maybe we should continue this discussion off the forum so we don't take up more space. My e-mail is [email protected].

Melf - hope you are feeling betterr too!

Will try to join the chat tonight!

Karen

Debelli 07-24-2001 07:59 PM

Evening Everyone!:wave:

Just got home from a full day out with my honey-we had a nice day out. Stopped at the ME store for some pita bread as well as some other goodies, went for lunch at a ME restaurant (can you believe, no Ole Ole today-shocker!), went to the indoor flea market-got such a buy (see below), went to see Legally Blond (cute chick flick) and then to top the day off, Carbolite:)

At the flea market, I went into a store that seemed to have a mish-mash of items-I couldn't believe my eyes when I found some coffee extract, not the brand I usually buy, but a more expensive one-like $5.20 a bottle-here it is, staring me right in my face-.60 cents a bottle-and they had coffee! I bought each and every bottle they had, probably around 12 or so-I grabbed, didn't count-bought some others as well, hazelnut, peppermint, chocolate, lemon, vanilla & orange-27 bottles in all-THAT made my day!!!!!

RALY, sounds like you had a nice dinner that your ES made you. When we were in France I ate my way through each and every pastry shop (though I have to admit my favorites were in Belgium). They have the biggest grocery stores I had ever seen Carfour was one of my favorites, I couldn't see from one end to the other. One thing they don't do there is SUPER SIZE, it's more like mini-mize! BUT, I did find what became my most favorite candy in the world there-ask her if she likes KINDER BUENO, they are awesome!!! FYI, Michael Montignac, the man who wrote about this WOE first, is from France:)

AMSER, I can feel bloated winter, spring, summer or fall!:eek: Since it's usually hot down here, I don't have an excuse. I'm sure it's from me ovulating today-I sure felt the pain of that little egg trying to squeeze out of me today, so I KNOW that's why the scale is up. I'm sure by tomorrow, it will be down (okay, so I hope it will be down!). I asked you in a past post if you tried the agave nectar and the ballboostas, and what you thought about them-guess you missed that, or I missed your reply.

NANCE, what am I-chopped liver??? Not even a hello?????:?:

AR, from my own personal experience and having more miscarriages than I can even remember, or should I say, care to remember, I know I ate my way through the disappointment. It's not easy, and then gaining weight because of one problem, just causes another-of course, I can say this now, you know what they say about hindsight! I was on clomid and then went to the shots-it worked, and I'd have a miscarriage, a few times-finally, when I decided to take a break, I got pregnant with Michael about 3 months later, and then 17 months after he was born, Lauren was born-this is from someone who didn't ovulate, and didn't have a regular cycle if her life depended on it (not so now!). So, do know that I do know how you feel, and I'm sure many of the others do as well. Just don't console yourself with food, it really doesn't help;) Come on the board, we'll support you-not only with the weight loss, but whatever else life throws your way.

BOB, ouch-a triple decker, huh? Hope you are feeling somewhat better by the time you read this. Yum, pecan meal-sounds good!! When are you headed back home? Any idea when you're headed this way?? Be careful coming home (I thought you were flying, not driving!)-the rains have been bad down my way, but mostly at night-today was nice though. Did you get to a FRESH MARKET up there???

SEF, big question-while you are gone, will you have access to a computer?????? I hope you have a wonderful time with your friend, and do your best to stay OP! Busting my chops, why don't you bust some of this fat off my body instead!!! You've got me pegged, for sure!!

MELF, so glad to hear you had a better night last night-I hope tonight is even better for you. I'm sure you'll get back into exercise when you feel better, you have enough on your plate to worry about right now. I do worry about all of you on the board when you get into a funk/slump, but it doesn't pull me into feeling the same unless I really do feel like that-this morning, I felt like that, but not anymore, I'm better-and will feel a LOT better if the scale cooperates with me tomorrow!

Of course, I must remind you that TOMORROW IS WEIGH IN WEDNESDAY!!!! I pray the scale is kind to us ALL!

Again, CHAT IS AT 9:15PM TONIGHT!!!! Here's the link to the SB CHAT BOARD:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sbchat.php

Have a wonderful evening!!!

Debbie
194/130.5:mad:/129
SB since 3/22/00
Reached goal 6/10/01

SparkleScamp 07-24-2001 08:43 PM

http://www.shapeshakers.com/pics/asuka09.gif

Hello ladies! My we have been busy again, so much for the slow period!

[size=huge]Kymn[/size]
How did your son’s sleepover go? Thanks for the compliment on my pic, those are quite old. You are just darling and I love the braids. Did you get them done professionally? If I have time before I leave I’m going to write you an email in response to your post because there are some things I don’t feel comfortable talking about in public.

[size=huge]Susan[/size]
I think the book will be easier to understand the 2nd time around. (Seven Habits) I have been reading a good book called “The Solution” as I might have mention. It is not well-written but has wonderful ideas about being in “emotional balance” to avoid overeating.

[size=huge]Belinda W[/size]
Dollar store shopping sounds like fun! I can go nutzoid in places like this. One of the weirdest things I bought in a dollar store was fruit puree in a jar that was supposed to be a fat substitute in baking. It sat on my shelf for a year and I finally made some prune bread with it that turned out quite good. Great to have you here, I love your enthusiasm.

[size=huge]Rhonda[/size]
I have definitely been having fun with the weights when I’m not killing myself trying to do too much. I am a member of the “Jello” club too! With my tummy. Glad hubby is doing well, that’s great for both of you.

[size=huge]Froggie[/size]
Glad to hear there is some cool weather in that part of the country, rather nervous about the heat and leaving the “perfect” Hawaii weather! ;) Backyard campout sounds like a lot of fun. Sorry to hear you are getting sick, I’m sending lots of healthy vibes your way!

[size=huge] ‘Fly[/size]
I’m glad you liked the journey thread. Water definitely helps me, plus with the exercise I do, I feel nauseated, dizzy and headachey when I don’t drink enough. Not having enough water may have to do with your 2 lb gain, but I have found that the scale is schizoid and usually varies for no reason at all.
Quote:

Here's my contribution to Monday "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. " Mark Twain.
Loved that!

[size=huge]Deb[/size]
Cheer up Debster! I noticed your frowny face on your “129” and thought back to the day when you first reached your goal of 129 after months and months of stalling, and what a happy day that was for you and all of us. I remember chick after chick telling you congratulations and how you added “reached goal” to your signature.

Now being 128 to 129 is something to get you down and depressed. What a contrast to that day! It’s only human to let stuff like that get to you, and amazing how much a simple, fundamentally meaningless number can affect our mood for an entire day.

Reaching your weight goal was a huge accomplishment and you have had so many more accomplishments over the past 16 months. Perhaps it’s time to take a break from the scale and learn to pay attention to other things, like the fit of your clothes and how your muscles feel, to determine your progress. You have gained control over the number on the scale remarkably, but I think the number has gained control of you at the same time. Hugs woman! Anyway, it’s all good cause the scale will definitely go back down.

About the poll, I chose emotional overeater but there are many factors to my excess weight. All my life I have beat myself up over being heavy but I have recently come to believe that it’s NOT MY FAULT that I am fat! Because I was grossly overfed as a child, and kept from any sports or normal activity, it was quite natural that I would get fat. Especially since I was genetically predisposed to excess weight.

This realization lead to brief resentment toward my mother and others in charge of my food supply as a child. But I have gotten over that too. My parents did their best, even if it wasn’t enough or what I needed.

As an adult, I live with the legacy of my childhood in the form of fat on my body as well as destructive habits and negative body image. But I take FULL RESPONSIBILITY for my body from this point in time onward!

[size=huge]Catlover[/size]
I’m really glad to see you back. Those 5 pounds are not much in the grand scheme of things. The most important thing is the lessons you have learned. Don’t stay away and you’ll be fine! I am QUEEN of setting unrealistic goals, leftover from my teenage days when I expected to lose 20 pounds a week by fasting (I don’t believe it either). Lately I have been busting *** with very little movement on the scale but I know I’m making progress.

[size=huge]Quilter/Kim[/size]
So glad to hear you are moving past your “slump.” This perfectionist attitude is a biggie for me too. All or nothing. This book I have been reading, The Solution, explains the concept very well. For a balanced individual, there is a “normal” way to feel, and then there are rewards (happy, satisfied, etc.) and necessary pain (sadness, hunger) and the balanced person can use that necessary pain to get back in balance (if you are hungry, eat to satisfaction.) So that person is always close to an even emotional level.

Then there are the compulsive overeaters like me, as well as folks with other addictions that prevent them from reacting in a balanced way. Because we use our addictions to bypass the necessary pain (reacting to an every day sadness, like somebody calling us fat or the car breaking down, with a food binge) we end up having extremes of emotion (instead of happy, a false high such as comes from strict dieting; instead of sad, devastated or depressed) or numbness (feeling nothing because we drown it out with food).

I can’t explain it all that well but I have definitely recognized the pattern in myself. Now that I’m aware of it, I try to use the sad or negative feeling to immediately correct my imbalanced moods instead of spinning off into an uncontrollable depression, eating, and then feeling even worse. But getting better is a slow process.

[size=huge]Marie[/size]
Sign me up for the training wheels too!

[size=huge]Anna[/size]
Happy to see you back from vacation!

[size=huge]Lara[/size]
Thanks for the thought on “baby steps” so true!

[size=huge]Ralynne[/size]
Sorry to hear about the heat and humidity but you’ll probably miss it come winter. ;) Good luck with your party!

[size=huge]Karen[/size]
Congrats on your new low. Can’t help with the steamer I’m afraid but Martin bought this cool plastic thing that steams veggies in the micro.

[size=huge]Laurie[/size]
Nice to see you back as well!

[size=huge]Sef/Shirley[/size]
Glad your family is supportive, it makes a big difference, and I’ve found that those who are resistant to this way of eating at first eventually become cheerleaders!

This is a great place cause we can talk about our “dookie” episodes and everybody understands!!!

[size=huge]Mary[/size]
My prayers are with you on your health problems. :)

[size=huge]GatorGal[/size]
Bonjour! Salut! And stuff. ;) Glad you’re still alive. Enjoy your stay-at-home vacation!

That “sister with the skinny genes” thing can really turn around over the years. I personally think genetics is at MOST 25% of the story.
[size=huge]Ann[/size]
Thanks for posting the pics! You and your sis are so pretty. Do you have any more recent ones cause you must look a lot different now!

[size=huge]BOB[/size]
Sorry to hear about the dental surgery, hope you are okay.

:)

Okay so I’m being bad and posting at work. Hoping after vacation I can get my head together with my job and career, need a little break right now.

Survived my FIRST so-called “free” day on the Body for Life program not too badly. Body for Life works pretty well with Sugar Busters and I have made the decision to mostly stick to Sugar Busters on my day off, but if there is something I really crave, to have it.

Here is what I ate Sunday:

Whole wheat/bran apple pancakes (YUM), lots o' bacon and one egg

Cheddar cheese, 2 slices

Seared ahi (I cooked it myself!) with wasabe sauces, 1/2 cup basmati rice, veggies, 3 egg rolls baked with Pam

Lots o' vanilla ice cream

I tried to think of the things I most wanted to eat instead of randomly stuffing junks down my face. I paid close attention to the way I felt after eating the bacon and the ice cream. I compared the way I felt and the way the ice cream tasted to those factor when I drink my protein smoothies/shakes. And when I COMBINE the taste and the way I feel factors, I decided that I like the smoothies better! As for breakfast, the pancakes, which were mostly “legal” (used sweetened applesauce) were the really delicious part of the breakfast and it would have been BETTER without the bacon (again, combining taste and how I feel factors). Sunday was a very important lesson in appetite, because I used it as an opportunity to experiment without reacting emotionally. I could actually eat the ice cream without feeling guilty!

Then, yesterday at a business lunch, my boss ordered dessert. Normally this would be a highly emotional moment for me. It was this really tempting concoction that I won’t even describe. The waitress brought three forks and our host said, “There is NO WAY that you are just going to sit there at watch this!” I beamed with pride and determination because I’ve done this so many times already, lots of victories behind me! I answered, “Oh YES I CAN!” And I wasn’t even really THAT tempted. Having that “out” of knowing that I can eat stuff if I need to helped me to not obsess over food during other times, so that I was able to be fully present and learn something, which was the purpose of the lunch, NOT to stuff my face!

Compare all of this to the previous weekend, when I was going through some hellish emotional garbage. Martin bought THREE pints of various tempting flavors of ice cream and they were driving me nuts. I literally exhausted myself trying not to eat ice cream. Finally I had to buy my OWN pint and after trying everything under the sun to keep busy, ate most of it at one in the morning. There was so much emotional energy going into the trying not to buy it, buying it, trying not to eat it, eating it and feeling guilty about it. This weekend there was none of that.

So then I was able to jump right back into the new week and have a GREAT day with food and a GREAT workout!

Monday’s food:

Smoothie: 4 strawberries, 1 scoop protein powder, 1 raw egg white (hardcore!) 1 cup skim milk, ice, Splenda

1 serving steamed opakapaka (white flesh fish) with crab and lobster stuffing, 1 serving steamed veggies (some sort of greens) (business lunch)

1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1 cup cherries

Smoothie: 2 tbs cocoa powder, Splenda, 1 tsp agave nectar, vanilla, 1 1/2 cups skim milk, ice, protein powder

1 chicken breast, 1/2 onion stir fried in 1 tsp olive oil, 2 small leftover apple pancakes

(Notice that I have taken the HUGE step of putting cocoa powder in my smoothies. I haven’t had chocolate in any form since January! This was another experiment and I haven’t exploded yet. That smoothie was kinda gross because this new protein powder I bought tasted bad. But I made another one today with no protein powder and 1 egg white, and added a tsp peanut butter (I buy the natural kind and DRAIN OFF EXCESS FAT!) and it was pretty darn decadent.)

Monday’s workout:

Legs:

(6 sets each of 12, 10, 8, 6, 12, 12 reps)

Leg press 90 pounds (quads)

Squats 4 sets (my mind wandered, I forgot I already did quads) all with 2 15 pound dumbbells

Standing dead lifts w/ dumbbells (hamstrings)

Calf raises (standing on tiptoes holding dumbbells)

Abs:

side crunches, 4 sets (12, 10, 8, 6) per side

regular crunches, 2 sets of 12

Okay I gotta go.

[size=huge]I am going on vacation this Thursday to Washington DC and won’t be catching up on posts until at least August 6th.[/size]

So I made an effort to catch up before I leave. I should have lots of pics when I get back!

Lots of love,

Chris

164/150/139

SparkleScamp 07-24-2001 10:23 PM

P. S.

SolShine miss you lots! Can't wait until you're busy typing your little fingers off again! ;)

BelindaWannabe 07-24-2001 11:31 PM

Hello everyone....I've been trying to catch up a little and have skimmed over the posts from the past two days. have really been wrapped up with the impending move of my mother to assisted living. The past two days have been consumed with getting some things here ready...choosing paint color for her room, shopping for a new mattress for her bed, getting a new tv for her room. She is moving 125 miles , so we didn't see the need of bringing some things that needed replacing or were too big. I will be going down east to be with my mom, helping my sister pack for this move from Thursday until Monday. We are moving her to an assisted living about 1 mile from my house on Monday. So I will be AWOL for a few days.

I was hoping to chat tonight and when I started the whole process at 9:15, I had to load Java 2 on my computer. It said it would take 19 minutes. It LIED> I felt like I was watching paint dry. It took 45 minutes to download...I'm sure because of my SLOOOOOW computer. Anyway, it was 10 pm by the time I was attempting to get into chat and then Frog IM"d me. So, hopefully I'm ready for next week! I do want to get to talk with you girls!!

Ok....I'm tired and need to crash, but have a few things I jotted down to mention....
Spelt Flour...FROG...I remember you asking about it....they have it at Earth Harvest....take both arms and a leg when you go to buy something there! hahaha.

I bought a Lo Carb 2 Lemon Meringue bar today...made by Biochem...anyone tried these? Also got a chocolate s'mores one...,but tried the lemon one today....it was tolerable, but what do they do???????....take sawdust and flavor it and make it into a bar???? Can anyone suggest something like it that they actually enjoy when having a craving for something dessert-y?

I also need some feedback on eating Chinese out....we went Monday night and I got cashew beef with brown sauce...didn't touch any rice or fortune cookie...also had Chinese Vegetable soup which was broth with cabbage, carrots, snow peas....left the carrots in the bowl....I don't know what is in brown sauce, but it was too sweet and good to have been legal....but the meat and broccoli and cashews were divine...did I really mess up? I guess we'll see tomorrow.

As for weighing, I'm determined not to weigh other than Wednesdays...too frustrating to do that every day.

I've recruited 2 of my very best friends to SugarBusters...they are a couple and we have been through many diets and talk diets all the time...I accompanied my friend to the grocery store today with my trusty SB shopping guide and coached her through the reading labels way of life!! It does require more time at first, but once we get going, I'll be able to snatch things off the shelf in my normal high speed chase through the store. This couple and I spend tons of time together with our children and eat out together a lot... It will be so great to have even MORE support from friends! I've encouraged my friend to check out this board and to join us! She is hilarious and you all would enjoy her great sense of humor!

Well.....I need to go before this Tuesday post becomes a Wednesday post! I'll try to get on tomorrow!

Karen3000...thanks for offering me your email address...when I'm not so sleepy, I'll write!

Good night all!

SparkleScamp 07-25-2001 03:15 AM

BW -- I haven't had much luck with low carb energy bars, they all taste pretty bad and cost at LEAST an arm and two legs each.

Being a very busy girl I have been searching for something "grab-n-go" and once I learned to handle baked goods I made muffin bread with eggs, ww flour, salt, baking powder (the usual) AND a hefty dose of fruit puree (applesauce or prune) and nuts (I like almonds). I used to use dried fruits too but I have cut that out. No added oil except what is used to grease the pan. Then I freeze them individually sliced in ziplock bags and throw them in the microwave, very fast! You could toss in some protein powder if you want something less carby.

But mainly I have been concentrating my imagination on my shakes, which are a base of 1 1/2 cups skim milk, ice, Splenda, protein powder. Then I will add frozen strawberries or recently, cocoa powder and peanut butter. Have tried unsweetened coconut and pineapple for a "pina colada." Or almonds. Or blueberries.

I bought a sleek brushed silver thermos from K Mart for $10. It doesn't hold much, 16 ounces I think, but fits nicely into my backpack (I bike to work). So I will make my shake in the blender, then toss it in to have after my workout in the morning. I can have it at my desk because it's as unobtrusive as drinking coffee.

BLOWING OFF STEAM COMING UP!

The cocoa powder has the following stuff in it for 2 tablespoons:

Calories: 30
Fat: 2 grams
Carbs: 6 grams
Including Fiber: 4 grams
Protein: 2 grams

Overall I don't think it's a bad food although I have stayed away from chocolate for nearly 7 months.

So I made my after work shake. As I'm stirring some hot water into the cocoa powder, Martin walks up to me. He says, "how many calories in 2 tablespoons?" So I read him the label (above).

"Why do you ask?" I say.

"I'm trying to get you to stop eating that stuff."

"STOP GUILT TRIPPING ME!!!!"

"Okay, but when I have to ROLL you out of this apartment! How can you have cocoa on a diet?"

"I'm not on a diet."

"Bullsh*t you're not on a diet. What do YOU call it???"

Okay slightly condensed but that's basically how the exchange went. It made me very, VERY angry and I'm trying to figure out WHY???? Maybe because it was such a huge step for me to have the cocoa without wigging out. Maybe because I was able to eat ice cream Sunday without feeling guilty and like I was cheating, like last week, and it helped cut my cravings tremendously, and it felt like a victory. Maybe because my weight is none of his freaking business!

Okay, I was writing some more stuff but I'm going to stop there.

Today I did my 20 minute run and noticed that it took me so many months to be able to run a ten minute mile and now I was sorely disappointed because I did 2 miles in 20:10. I also took a long bike ride to the health food store because our car is shot to h*ll. Been adding speed bursts to my everyday bike rides on flat, clear, straight surfaces. That adds a workout to time I would be spending in transport anyway, not to mention cuts down on the actual ride time.

Food:

Smoothie: 2 tbs cocoa powder, 1 egg white, ice, skim milk, splenda, 1 tsp peanut butter (with the excess oil drained off)

1/2 piece fish (ahi) with a bit of teriyaki sauce, basmati rice, frozen veggies

1 cup cherries, 1 cup cottage cheese

Smoothie: 2 tbs cocoa powder, protein powder, ice, skim milk, splenda

Very delicious fish salad! With chunked ahi, chopped celery and onions, almond oil, white wine vinegar, lemon juice, salt, pepper, served on tomato slices. 1 small apple pancake, 1/3 cup plain yogurt with Splenda and vanilla extract, served in an elegant little glass.

Martin had a whole frozen pizza for dinner, as he does about twice a week. Usually I am still tempted even though I don't eat that, and sometimes I would take a bite or so of toppings. Today I really paid attention to how I FELT when he was eating the pizza. Part of me missed the fun times when we would veg out in front of the computer watching DVD movies (we didn't have the huge TV then) eating pizza and drinking beer. It was fun. Things have really changed since then and although we have our good moments, and he's really supportive at times, the food has been a real issue between us, as has been working out at the gym (me doing it and he NOT doing it).

Part of me just automatically thought that I SHOULD be tempted when there was pizza around! Sort of an automatic reaction. I smelled the pizza deeply. It smelled sickeningly sweet, and I realized I wasn't hungry for pizza at all. I imagined the toppings, all the grease in just one bite, and remembered how I felt after eating that bacon Sunday morning. I had gotten the desire for grease out of my system THEN and tonight, when faced with the pizza, I only thought about the feeling of eating grease and not the taste of the pizza.

This so-called free day has been VERY good for me so far. I'm not the type of person who can go weeks on end without "cheating." Something in me not only wants to eat the food, but wants to be bad and rebellious. But at the same time I want to be good and feel awful when I eat something I'm "not supposed to." This is the best of both worlds and there has been a huge difference in my temptation AND frustration levels this week.

Well I've got to get my clean laundry in some sort of order so I can start packing tomorrow night. I can't believe I have only one more night before I leave on my trip. HELP!

Love,

Chris

164/150/139

GatorGal 07-25-2001 10:22 AM

Melf--I knew Eraste was from LA but didn’t know he was from your town. He is supposed to be a great guy, personally, besides just how he plays football. Even as a freshman, he had the reputation of already being a good leader on the team. I pray that he has a full recovery. Just a terrible thing to happen to anyone, esp. a young man.

Karen--Yes, my husband wants to play golf at one of those fancy courses. A big client of his will be paying for the golf, but if we come, we will pay for the transportation and the room and board. He is dying to come, and the trip to Door county is just the carrot he is dangling in front of me so I will say OK. It just seems like a bunch of money to play a game, but perhaps CATLOVER can clue me in to how to think like he thinks about the golf. I’ll let you know the dates.

Catlover--I’ve taken a few golf lessons and sometimes can hit the ball pretty good. However, sometimes I really do badly. It seems that there is only a few centimeters one way or the other that you can be off with your club and still hit the ball well. If you are 5 cms. too high, the ball gets topped, and if you are 5 cms. too low you hit way behind it. So is there an element of robotics here in this game? Tell me more about how it is fun, because I’m still trying to figure out that part. Other than the clothes. I have a closet full of cute tennis clothes.

Solshine--How are things going? How are your workouts doing? I’ve been there in the mornings or too early in the afternoon to get to see you. How was the reunion?

Have a great day, all. I’m off to get my hair done.