Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 10:37 AM   #31  

Good morning...

I went to sleep with the same sound as I woke up this morning...rainfall This rain is starting to drive me nuts but I am hoping to beat it with some planning on things that Jess and I can do at home or somewhere else.

Nothing much planned for today. I even made most of my lunch in the crockpot yesterday evening. I am trying a new recipe called, "Slow cooker Cassoulet" with chicken, sausage and beans and from the look and taste test last night, it was good. I make rice and veggies to go with it.

My menu for today :

Breakfast : 2 leftover ww pancakes, 1 fried egg and 2 small sausages, 1/2 cup of soymilk.

Snack : Fruits

Lunch : "Slow Cooker Cassoulet", roast marinated broccoli and brown rice pilaf.

Snack : Fruits and plain yogurt.

Dinner : Leftovers from dinner.

Some replies :

TONI : You better believe it, you can do it and continue to eat well Great job! Can you please send some sunshine over here???

TECH : I am not trying to encourage you but I do it all the time.....I procastinate!! LOL. Well...I am sure when it is really time to work, you will Lunch sounds yummy. I cooked a fish version like that...yum!

HEART : Well, I do not think than many men get the idea that not all things are as simple as they look. Like....oh...just cut back!! They do not think so much about the "emotional" side of things. I am sorry that you are struggling with your binging but I know that at time goes, you will slowly figure out ways to deal with it as long as you don't give up. There must be very good reasons that you are learning so much about yourself right now eventhough you might not know exactly what to do. I know God will reveal to you as time goes. Just keep hanging in there and keep praying

ZANESGRAMMY : Welcome!! You have come to the right place. I commend you on quitting smoking. WTG! That itself will be a great benefit for you. I can imagine your frustration right now but you are definitely on the right track. I do not have the specific experience you asked for but I am here to help whenever I can. My first question is, are you eating enough?? 3 main meals and 2 snacks? Post your typical menu and that will help a lot. Also, are you exercising? How much and how often? If your metabolism is out of whack, it just needs some time to get it back on track. It takes sometime but you can do it.

BOB : If you are going to Blue Willow especially on Fri, Sat and Sun, please make sure you call them in advance (like at least 1 week ahead) to make reservation. Since you are coming down from AL and to ensure you get to eat there, it is definitely safer to make reservation, even weekdays. That place is really packed. They do not open on Monday

TMMGEEKETTE : Welcome to the board!! I have my own addiction as well. I thought I will never be able to cut back on the starches but I did. I was completely shocked. SB has taught me how to eat right and that I do not have to eat like there is not tomorrow. I second what Monet says....definitely get the SB book and take your time to read it. The book has so much info and the basic concept of what SB is all about. I find it very easy to read and understand as well. It took me few times to get many of the info in, so don't rush yourself. I know you are afraid, we all are especially more when we first started. How about taking one small step at a time so you won't feel so overwhelming. That has always work for me and maybe it will be for you. Don't worry about cutting out all white stuff or sugar at one time, just replace one white food with one healthy food at one time, is that doable. Example, instead of white bread, use WHOLE wheat bread. As far as the format of this board, I have to agree with you. I am still trying to get used to it but the people here is so great, it doesn't bother me much anymore

COUNTRY : Fried green tomatoes huh? Yum!! I won't even ask what else you made...lol.

MONET : Your strategy sounds good but definitely allow your body sometime to adjust to the change. Will check on your progress from time to time

THIN : WTG 2 lbs!!! Yea!! Keep up the good work. I am sorry about your son's headaches. I hate headaches and proned to them often but not the serious ones like migraine. I cannot imagine what your son is going thru. When I used to get headaches, I will throw up if it gets very bad. Hope your son's medication will help him feel better and get less of the headaches as time goes.

Okay...got to go, time to do something productive instead of sitting in front of my computer!!

Julia
Old 06-01-2005, 10:45 AM   #32  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monet 320
The list of avoids include white flour, white sugar, white rice, white bread, white potatoes, bananas, pineapple, beets and corn. Whole grains are ok, like 100% whole wheat bread, brown rice, sweet potatoes, and other whole grains like oatmeal (NOT instant!)
wow that about completes the list of things I live off of!
Old 06-01-2005, 11:50 AM   #33  

Height: 5' 7"

Default Wiw

WIW is not pretty. Up over 160 again. Of course I can't blame anyone or anything other than bad food choices. A snack here, a taste there. Sometimes just out and out gorging. But today is a new day....not counting the two bites of breakfast burrito. I was sucked in the smoked brisket and hot sauce. Seriously I look in the mirror and I can see the pounds before I ever get on the scale and it's very dishearting so I can and will get back on track. That means going to fit day and looking at the numbers...a real reality check. And coming to the board more for that accountability. My ten year anniversay is in two months and I want to be where I should be. Exercise has been great so I just need to eat the right things.

tmmgeekette...I hear ya. Four years ago when I started this way of eating I thought...what in the world is a good ole southern girl to do. Biscuits, cornbread, rice were all the staples in our house. They not only tasted good they stretched the budget. But 75 pounds later it's all been worth it. And as you can see from the post above I still struggle. Hang in there. There are some good choices that help you to not feel totally deprived.

Monet...you help me and I'll help you. Even though I know it's of my own doing it's really hard to face my lack of will power to do the right thing. A lot of what you go through is medicial and I'm so proud of how you keep on keeping on. You should be proud of yourself and know that you will get the pounds back off even if it takes longer than most. ((Monet))

Susan...hope your weigh in goes better than you expect. I told my son what I cooked for dinner last night and he called it heart attack on a plate...LOL And the crazy head turned down home made biscuits. There is no way he is my son... I nibbled and picked the whole time I cooked...arrrrr

Go thin!!!!! WTG on your loss this week.

Julia....good morning. ((hugzz))

Hope you all have a SUPER day. And remember as much as you want to lose weight each of you has value and is a blessing right where you are.

Love and hugs,
Crystle
Old 06-01-2005, 11:54 AM   #34  

It's not WIW already, is it? I was at 124# this morning. I've had enough, and I am back on track with eating today. I got up at 4 a.m. to get to the gym to get my workout in. I will be doing that on Mondays & Wednesdays through the summer.

So far today:
After workout: Trader Joe's trail mix bar
BF: 2 egg whites, 1 yolk & 1 slice WG toast w/ Smart Balance & skim milk
Lunch: Will be a turkey sandwich on wheat
That's all I know at this point.

I was making chicken parmigiana (sp?) for dinner the other night and had run out of my wheat bread crumbs, so I took TRISCUITS and ground them up fine, and they worked great. Just a thought if you don't have any stale bread laying around.

Not too much planned for today.

Ken: I hear U about big babies. Britt was 7-4, and Lane 7-11 (a month early). My frame was too small to deliver both of them, and I am paying for it now with my prolapses from the doctor forcing them out with the suction techniques. I also had the huge tear (extended episiotomy) with Britt and now can't hold a loose bowel movement at all (tmi, I know). Makes life interesting. My kids did my hair again last night (they took turns). I went to the gym this morning looking like Don King.

Toni: Congrats on being on your second OP week; keep up the great work!! Doesn't it feel good?

Tech: Now, who can pass on a divine chocolate torte cake thingy? Glad you enjoyed your anniversary dinner. Enjoy the field trip; it sounds like fun.

Heart: ((((((HUGS)))))). Doesn't it suck for this weight thing to be a lifelong battle? It sounds as if you know what needs to be done, you just have to find the will to make it happen. Good job passing on all that other food, and just indulging in one slice of bacon.

Zanesgram: I can't relate to the problems you are having, but I wish you all the luck in the world. Just try to be patient; every transition takes awhile to adjust to. Just know that if you are eating this way, that it is so much better for your body, and your weight loss will eventually start again, unless there is another underlying problem; have you had your thyroid checked? I also live in AZ, and know how hot the summers can be. Any extra weight is too much in this heat, eh?

BOB: So he is a she...sorry. How sweet of Tippy to snuggle up to the sweaty, smelly grass man...dogs are so non-discriminatory; they'll go to anyone who will love on them.

Monet: My workouts usually range from 1 hour & 30 minutes to 1 hour & 45 minutes. I usually do 8-10 minutes on the eliptical to warm up, and then do weights for about 45-60 minutes, and then the treadmill from 30-40 minutes, depending on how much time I have. OKAY...BEND OVER AND I'LL GIVE YOU A SWIFT KICK, but then you have to return the favor, o.k.? Why don't you try cutting out two of the yolks, but still eating the three whites (with only one of the yolks)? You get very little fat that way, and still a lot of protein. Those little cheats sure do add up after awhile. I find that I run into problems when I start allowing myself a little bit of EVERYTHING.

TMM: It sounds like you NEED SB. All that sugar is so taxing on your body. I would recommend you read the book, and you will learn a lot more about it. You will also learn how bad sugar really is for the body. Just try by making gradual changes since you have such an addiction. You will really be surprised how easy it is to change to WW pasta, Brown rice, WW flour, etc....and to fill your sweet needs with other things. Welcome aboard. I hope you decide to give SB a try. I am sure you will be glad you did.

Country: Do you prepare Fried Green Tomatoes the same way you would zucchini? I assume the tomatoes are green (not yet ripe), and then you bread them and fry them? Do you dip them in Ranch or something, or eat them plain? I've never tried them, but have heard about them. Glad you got your walk in.

Thin: Congrats on the 2#'s; keep up the great work!!! I am glad you were able to find someone to help Sean with his headaches. Headaches can be a real drag, especially for a child.

Fillise: I hear you. I think eating all the fruits has contributed to my gain. I have been eating cantaloupe, watermelon, cherries, strawberries, grapes, etc...but it is all so good when in season. I also love to eat fresh sweet corn when it is at its best. I will have to limit my fruits to 2 servings a day and see if it helps.

Well, I just boiled my eggs dry...I always do that. All the water is gone, and they are popping like popcorn; that's the worst I've ever burned them before. I guess I'll go get some more on, and stay near the kitchen to keep an eye on them this time. .

Have a great OP day; I plan to.
Nat
Old 06-01-2005, 12:55 PM   #35  

Height: 5' 7"

Default Fried green tomatoes

Poncho..good morning. The way I cook them is totally not legal. I just slice them and spinkle with cajun seasoning or salt and pepper. Dust with some seaoned flour and fry till brown. Yes, they are just tomatoes off the vine before they turn red. Sometimes we get them where they are just ever so slightly pink. Yum Yum. We only eat them once or twice a year so I tend to over indulge.

WTG making it to the gym so early in the morning.

Love,
Crystle
Old 06-01-2005, 01:36 PM   #36  

I am back from the meeting. It was one of those that you feel you really did not need to be there. Nothing new was decided, and it was bedlam with all the kids running around making noise. I was glad to leave.

For lunch, I had a grilled cheese sandwich, with a few slices of ham and broccoli sprouts on the side. I also ate a nectarine and drank a diet coke.

So far today, I have had about a quart of water, so I need to drink more.

Its actually cold here. I feel like crawling under the covers and reading all afternoon. Unfortunately, I don't have a good book to read. I got a collection of stories at the book store the other night, and it has three of the worst stories I have ever read! (TECH, you and I need to get those novels done! I am SURE we can do better!)

I will check in later!
Old 06-01-2005, 01:42 PM   #37  

Good afternoon all. I'm so happy I lost 2.5 lbs. this week. I'm eating so well that it thrills me. But today I got put in a position that I know I'll have to learn to deal with but just didn't know how to do it today. The woman that cleans my house twice a month had been out of state over the week end. She brings back these huge cinnamon rolls for breakfast for her and I. Well I'll tell you I couldn't think what to do to get out of eating one. And I'm here to tell you I really didn't want it. But went ahead and ate it out of fear of hurting her feelings. Inside I was just sick. It left me feeling sick and yucky and of course I've been hungry all afternoon from the carbs and sugar. I know its over and done with but I could just cry from it. I'll just have to learn to deal with this kind of stuff I know. Thats part of learning to eat right. So now I'm back OP and glad to be!!!
Old 06-01-2005, 02:50 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Goodness there are a lot of posts since yesterday.

The shot went well. I feel 80% better. Will get another in 2 weeks or so. I couldn't walk last night. I wanted to but DH didn't think it was a good idea. Tonight will be crazy so probably won't do it tonight either. Things should be slowing down so I will be back at it hard soon. At least I have had 2 legal days and so have the girls. In fact my youngest is doing really well. She works at a doctor's office and drug reps bring in lunch and all kinds of goodies. Last week she passed on chocolate sundaes and gourmet cookies. Willpower.

I attempted to do replies, but I got so engrossed in reading that I forgot to take notes, so here is my feable attempt. Hope I didn't miss anyone.

Susan, we are going to the Dominican republic (Punta Cana). We have been twice before and love it, so we are taking the girls and SIL as a graduation present. Sorry it is still raining there. I just found out that Kroger's (sorry Bob) is going to carry nature's Own ww buns. I am so excited. The Sara Lee are just too big. Can you share your baked bean recipe?

Julia, thanks for the ideas. I keep searching for a low sugar baked bean. I knew that about the protein/carb, just don't think about it much.

Nat, I would love to do no carbs for a month, but know I can't so I am limiting it to 1. Usually I have it as breakfast. But I know I will get tired of salads for lunch so will probably switch it around a bit. The girls want ww pizza next week.

Toni, I'm so proud of you for 2 weeks of good eating. You can do it. :dance for the loss this week. Next time, tell the lady you already had breakfast and will save them for tomorrow. Feed them to your DH.

Tech, I love all those old places like forts and Little house on the Prairie. My aunt used to take me to them when I was young all the time. Have fun on the GS outing and No somores (sp) for you now.

Laurie, we are in the same boat. I have put on 20 lbs and not happy either. I have no shorts that fit and I refuse to buy any bigger ones. Are you still journeling? If you can't have those foods around, get rid of them. No one else needs them either. They can eat things that are good for them too. You have done so great, you can do it again. Never expect men to understand until your wt affects them.

Zannesgrammy, I never smoked so I can't relate that way but I will tell you it is harder the 2nd time around. I lost 105 with Sf and got breast cancer and did nothing (exercising & eating right) during my treatments. I put on 20+ pounds. I did it once so do it again, right? This time it is not as easy and not coming off as quickly. I just don't think we have the motivation the 2nd time as we did the first. I wish I knew how to get it back. Coming here really helps. Please join us.

Bob, you jinxed your weather. I'll ask Susan for the recipe. Hope it stops raining soon.

Tmmgee, I think Monet gave you a great idea of SB. I have a snyopsis of the book, private message me and I will email it to you if you want. Welcome.

Crystle, fried green tomatoes? Are they legal? Just kidding you. I don't even like them so it wouldn't be a problem for me. Your garden is making me jealous. I would love to have so squash.

Monet, ok let's do this. Let's keep each other accountable. So far I am 2 days legal. Lost 7 pounds yesterday (all water-I was in the potty all day). But at least I saw a new number on the scale. I am determined this month to lose 20#. You keep me accountable ok?

Thin, Congrats on the 2 lbs. Where can I get some of that topamax? Just kidding. I'm glad they gave him something to help In fact, I think my DD takes one or 2 of those.

Got to get busy here. Have a great day.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:55 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 278/163/143

Height: 5'8"

Hey, guys. It is still raining here and there. I took Boogie to Speech this morning. There was some little kid there that came over and took my NEW cell phone off my chair and simply threw it down. It didn't hurt it, but got on my nerves that his Mom didn't say anything to him. Then he went to messing with the blinds, etc...gee whiz. If that was Boogie, I would have took him to the bathroom for a spanking. Anyway, afterwards I went and paid the light bill and went and tanned. How thrilling. Came home and did my workout for the day, washed dishes, started the laundry, and now I'm on the computer. So as you see, I'm bored. Oh yea, today is WIW. I'm at 168. Down four from yesterday, but I knew I was retaining some fluid. I have to confess, I had ILLEGAL baked beans last night. Hubby made them last night while I was at exercise. I had a big scoop, but didn't "overeat." They were soooo good. If I'm to cheat, I would rather do it on filling food than just sweets like candy bars and cake. But I have to strengthen my willpower. The beans were made with Carb Well barbecue sauce, honey, peppers and onions, seasonings, and sausage. It could have been worse...made with regular sauce and a ton of syrup. I still feel "a little" guilty. But I'm glad the scale was still kind. When I put my jeans on this AM, they were definetly snug in the butt and gut. Not cool. Gotta get this weight under control.

Here's my menu:
BF- sf peach yogurt
Snack- 2 celery stalks with 1 tbsp PB
Lunch- plate full of steamed veggies(only a little bit of salt and pepper, garlic)
Snack- probably yogurt
Supper- making pork stew. Made with pork meat, onion, butter beans, green beans, cabbage, tomatoes, and maybe a little reduced carb noodles.

MONET- I can't give up my yogurt, I used to be prone to yeast infections and now that I eat yogurt almost everyday I haven't had one in at least a year. Also, dairy is very important and suppossed to help curb your appetite if you get at least 3 servings a day. On days that I don't, I take a Calcium supplement. The sf stuff that gets my cravings going are sf ice cream, sf candy bars, simply because they taste too much like the real thing.

Crystle- We can do this! We've accomplished too much, to keep back-tracking. Thank you for your kind words.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:04 PM   #40  
Zanesgrammy

Thumbs up Great group!

I'm glad I found all of you! Lively group - and you all seem to be having a lot of success on SB - I loved it before; it was just so darn easy! So, I'll re-read the book and re-do this. No, I'm not really exercising - it has warmed up here but I know I have to do something to "kick in". Plus I also got hit with some kind of auto-immune something right after giving up the cigs - I swear it had something to do with toxins leaving my body! Anyway, I'm feeling a lot better - for a while I couldn't even walk 2 blocks without severe pain. I'm almost back to the full swing, and truly looking forward to getting to know all of you on this long weight-loss journey!
Old 06-01-2005, 04:27 PM   #41  

We're back from the cardiologist office and yes it's still raining!
They did an EKG and echocardiogram on Sean and did not find anything wrong or enlargement. Put him on a low cholesterol diet though and also recommended south beach to us. How different is that from sugar busters? Now I have to find a way to combine all of these into a diet that is right for us. I guess we will try to have more fish and chicken and less beef. How much fat is in turkey? Is it like chicken? She said for him to have a LOT of veggies and fruit, lowfat meats and cheeses and more exercise. Sounds like your typical doctor's advice! Does anyone else have any advice? Well, I think I will go ahead and cook the couple of paks of beef we have in the fridge before we leave on Sunday and hit BJ's for fish when we get back. Thanks in advance for you help!
Old 06-01-2005, 05:17 PM   #42  

THIN: South Beach is just Atkins for the first phase and Sugarbusters for the second phase! What really irritates me is that doctor's recommend South Beach, but act like Sugarbusters, and Atkins are fads! Sheesh... My doctor recommends Sugarbusters, so just put Sean on it, with you, and it will be the same as if you did South Beach for him. There is a book, Sugarbusters For Kids, that you might want to check out of the library and read. It has a lot of great recipes that will appeal to kids. How I wish I had thought to combine the two diets and make a million...
Old 06-01-2005, 06:29 PM   #43  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

EVENING ALL YOU BUSTIN BEAUTYS~!!!

The storms started again last night around midnight and it has stormed all day. It's not raining as we speak, but it's supposed to start again tonight and all tomorrow again!

JULIA...Am I wrong that Madison is Madison Georgia? You threw me when you said that I would be coming from AL.....I live in FLA....THE BLUE WILLOW is a little out of the way, but for what I read about on their website, what's a few miles?????

MONET...You won't be left out the next time I come that way, but the way I've been having to leave work, it will be A CENTURY before I have another vacation! MAYBE....you and Tom could meet us over at THE BLUE WILLOW when that CENTURY finally gets here!

SUSAN...I swear, that ride from Sarasota to Auburn would be worth a numb butt to go to KROGER'S!!! These grocery stores down here are terrible! I heard some rumblings that BE might put a store at INTERNATIONAL MALL in Tampa, so next time you make it down this way, we can go there...

LAURIE...I have to agree with you on that CHILD you encountered. Nothing grates on me worse that misbehaving children....except for uncaring MOMS!!!

JACKIE...I've never made SUSAN'S beans, but they always sound so good when she talks about them!

NAT...that's OK that you called TIPPY a boy...she doesn't know the difference anyway! She's the most unusual CHIHUAHUA you will ever come in contact with...she doesn't YIP...or YAP...doesn't snip a peoples heels..She just loves to be loved!

CRYSTLE...what kind of GREEN BEANS do you plant? I miss having a garden so bad...nothing grows down here in this sand!
A friend of mines Father said for me to plant my tomatoes in a galvanized tub with a bag of really good dirt. He was originally from Alabama, and as we all know...the only tomato better than an Alabama tomato, is a Granger County Tennessee tomato...GAWD I MISS THOSE!!!!

{{{{{{{{{{{WELOME}}}}}}}}}}}} to EVERYONE who is NEW TO OUR LITTLE CORNER OF THE BOARD. We're glad to have all of you and hope you find a home here!

Hope I've not missed anyone...I've decided to have a grilled bacon and cheese sandwich for supper...Time to cook! I fixed Kate some corned beef and cabbage with some stewed potatoes....oh...and a hunk of cornbread!

Later

BOB
Old 06-01-2005, 07:28 PM   #44  
Goddess

Jackie--I posted my beans on the recipe board, but now I can't find it. If you have the southern living cookbook, it is their recipe only with agave instead of brown sugar and molasses. I'll try to dig it up for you!

BOB--Fly into Atlanta for a weekend. They have some great fares from Tampa to Atlanta. Monet and I will take you to BE, Blue Willow AND Kroger!

Thin--get the SB for kids book. It actually does a pretty good job of explaining the whole WOE better than the original book.

Susan
Old 06-01-2005, 07:53 PM   #45  

Thanks for the comments. I actually have the sugar busters for kids book that I bought a little over a year ago on the advice of the kids former pediatrician. This cardiologist probably is not even aware that there is a version for kids. I think I will just stick with what I've been doing with the sb for kids and just try to incorporate more fish, chicken and other lean meats. We go back for his regular blood work in 3 months so we will see how his levels look then. Also we need to get more exercise, but then again, who doesn't! Does anyone have any ideas to get more veggies into kids who think they are "yucky"?
Closed Thread