Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 10:36 AM   #16  

JACK : Glad your graduation party went well. Wow...98 people, you are so brave...lol. Yes, some fruits have more sugar than the others. If I eat them, I eat them in smaller portion each time so my body does not require a lot of insulin to get rid of the sugar and also that it doesn't raise my blood sugar to a higher level. My blood sugars have been pretty good with most fruits unless I got overboard with them. Fruits to me have so much benefits, vitamins and lots of fiber Just portion control at each time. Any good stuff eaten way too much can cause trouble too, so in moderation is definitely the key to me. I love a good cake or pecan pie once in a while too...yep, once in a while As far as baked beans, I know there are recipes to make legal ones but I do not have the patience for it. I usually choose Bush's baked beans (with onions) that has 6 grams of sugar per serving. I know that is 1 gram over than the 5 gram rule for SB but for ocassion treats, it doesn't bother me. I also try to eat less than 1/4 cup which is a serving. I took my blood sugar after yesterday's dinner (with baked beans etc) and it was well-within the okay range. One more tip is, eating protein with carbs (fruits, rice etc) help slow down the absorption of the carb/sugar into your system. You might already know this

Julia
Old 05-31-2005, 11:23 AM   #17  

Wow, was I surprised to see 15 posts on a Monday....but then realized it's already Tuesday. I hope you all had a nice, long, safe weekend. Ours was good; just got a lot done around the house.

I was at 123.5# this morning, but my eating was not good over the weekend. It is time to get serious and back on track. I need to start reading all my anti-sugar books, and get back on the wagon and stay there until vacation.

I worked out last M,W, F & Sat. I also worked out yesterday, and plan to on W, F & Sat this week too. If I get my eating on track, I'll be doing great!

I don't have much time, as we will be leaving for Lane's swim lesson soon, and then for Britt to get her hair cut, and then out for pizza.

Fillise: I guess I should have read your post yesterday . I did eat the WW buns, but ate too many chips with dip...and watermelon, and peach pie and ice cream.......I've heard good things about that Jergen's skin dye. A friend of mine uses it and it looks like she has been spending long days in the sun.

Ken: My kids love to play doctor AND hairstylists; you should see some of the things they do to my hair (ha). I am sure you are still holding on to some of that weight from Saturday's dinner. You are so small, and can afford to gain a little bit more during your preg. anyway. You eat healthy at least 90% of the time, so I would just be encouraged that that little boy is the one putting on the weight, and not you.

Flannel: Welcome aboard! Have you read the SB book yet? I would encourage you to do so; it is so helpful in understanding why this way of eating works so well and makes so much sense. I am going to be pulling it and some others out of the closet and re-reading them for motivation and to get my butt back on track. Good luck and feel free to ask any questions anytime.

Thin: I'm glad you enjoyed spending time with family; that's so important! Too bad, all that bad food has to accompany those functions, eh? I hope you get some sunny weather soon.

BOB: Howdy. Did you get that little munchkin all bathed? How often do you bathe him? We got both of our dogs bathed this weekend out in the hose in the yard (they are 45# & 80#), so not the best job in the world. They feel so much better though.

Monet: Thanks for starting the boards, as always. I am glad you are enjoying your pressure cooker; it sounds as if you are making a lot of great foods. Glad you are sleeping better and that James is getting up and around a bit more.

Jack: SUCCESS!!! I knew your party would be nothing but successful. I am glad all turned out so well. Good luck with that 1 carb a day; are you eating it early in the day? I think I need to say...no starchy carbs beyond BF or lunch. I need to get the sugar back out though. I need to re-read my books and remind myself that that stuff is poison to our bodies!

Well, I still gotta get dressed.

Have a great day!!!!
Nat
Old 05-31-2005, 01:21 PM   #18  

I am on a roll today, 3 posts so far and it is not even 2pm...lol. Just finished my lunch and I think I over-eat a little since I actually feel full. That is the problem when I don't eat my snack

Some Replies :

FILLISE : I agree....gloomy day but I am determine to get out of my house. I think Jess is about to go nuts as well...lol. Even a small trip to the store would help at this point. Hope the day goes better for you. You should visit Blue Willow Inn, it is fabulous and I understand why it is so famous. The food and southern atmosphere really live up to its reputation. Make sure you make a reservation if you plan to visit it, especially if it is on Fri, Sat and Sunday. Dh and I have been thee few times, most times to bring our guests for a great authentic southern experience.

PANCHO : I am with you, need to get back on track. I don't mind some ocassional treats (illegal stuff) but lately it was more often than I planned for. I am not too worry about putting on weight for myself but certainly hope the baby doesn't turn out to be too big or else my small frame will not be able to get him out...LOL. Jess was a healthy 6 lbs 4 oz so it was good for my frame but hope Junior is not way bigger though. As for Jess doing my hair...gosh...everytime she does that, I lose a lot of hair...lol.

I am all caught up with the posts so far and I am so proud...lol. Good day everyone!

Julia
Old 05-31-2005, 01:23 PM   #19  

Oh my gosh I think I missed a day. Can this really be Tues.? Its a beautiful warm sunny day here in Missouri. I'm a little behind today but the rest of the week looks so busy to me. Have lots to do and will be eating out allot so hope I do okay. So far so good for me. I'm hopeing and praying I have a loss tomorrow. Can't believe I'm eating right the second week in a row. I'm really proud. Guess this evening I'll make hamburgers and have leftover cauliflower and a salad for dinner.

Welcome Flannel to Sugar Busters, come on join us!!!
Old 05-31-2005, 02:14 PM   #20  
Addicted to potato salad!

Hi everyone! I don't have time for replies as this is just a fly-by! I'm cleaning the house today after a week of having the hubby home. And I'm procrastinating by playing a dumb old game on the computer. BUT, I had an awesome lunch...I took a Tilapia filet and dipped it in egg, then WW flour with dried rosemary and fried it in olive oil, cleaned out the pan and sauteed some fresh green beans (not from my garden...the plants are barely two inches tall) in some olive oil and it was so yummy!!

Needless to say, my eating hasn't been horrendous (although there was that divine chocolate torte cake thingy they gave us for our anniversary at the trendy restaurant we ate at for our anniversary), but it hasn't been great, either. At the end of the day, my weight is at 161 this morning, so it coudn't have been TOO bad.

Tomorrow I go on a feild trip with DD to a place called Upper Canada Village, which is a recreated 1850's village museum type place...it's the coolest place...we usually go there every five years or so and I can't wait to go on the feild trip. (Upper Canada Village link!! ) It's like being on the set of Little House on the Prairie!! Then this weekend is our GS camping trip. I'm obsessing over it slightly, but it'll be over soon. I can't wait and can't wait for it to be over at the same time. I'm sure my eating will be very illegal with hot dogs with white buns and SMORES...but we'll be very active, so I'm hoping to burn off the calories.

Okay...have to go do some cleaning...will pop in if I can before this weekend...

Kris

Last edited by techwife; 05-31-2005 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:42 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 278/163/143

Height: 5'8"

Hey,guys. It's STILL raining here, depressing. More so knowing that hubby can't work until it clears up. Anyway, I was just awful yesterday and last Friday and Saturday. Only had a legal day on Sunday. My weight is horrible. I actually started crying about it last night. More so being the bingeing I've been doing. I feel so out of control. The slightest thing/food will set me off. DH wanted to know what was wrong so I "tried" to talk to him about it and when I told him my overeating was like an addiction, he just rolled his eyes and said "when I want to lose a few pounds, I just cut back." Well, no s**t! Unless you have been there, you do not understand. And as if I don't know HOW to lose weight. Geez, I've lost over 100 pounds, what a MORON! ALright, I feel better I didn't say any of that to him, so now I feel better saying it to ya'll. I know that I simply need to stay away from ALL illegal/sugary/fatty foods. Just one nibble sets me off. I'm also an emotional eater. I've learned these things, but now I need to figure out how to use them to help me. Well, since I'm confessing all this, I might as well come clean about what my weight is today. I know a couple of pounds is fluid, but probably no more than 2-3. So here it is....172 Just a couple months ago, I was at a low of 159. Then about 3-4 weeks ago I saw 161. Now look where it's at. All my fault. I can't believe I can still fit in my clothes. Today, I'm being strict with my eating, probably will be tomorrow as well. I've managed to keep busy with cleaning and now I'm on the computer(trying not to get bored and eat). I wonder how long it will take me to get back to my low? Doesn't matter cause I'm not going to put on anymore weight, that I definetly know. Besides, I don't have any clothes that are in a bigger size Alright, here's my menu, I know it's not enough calories for me, but it's only this way for a day or two.

BF- sf yogurt
Snack- 7 almonds and 1 sl bacon
Lunch- Plate of sauteed veggies(in olive oil)...a little onion, cabbage, brocolli, squash, tomato
Snack- will be 2 celery stalks with 1 tbsp Smucker's PB
Supper- will be 3 grilled drumsticks, side salad w/Casear dress, green beans

I could have killed Robby earlier, he came home and cooked bacon, grits, eggs, and cheese toast! Talk about a test of willpower. I only ate 1 sl bacon(see snack). Alright, I need to run!
Old 05-31-2005, 03:42 PM   #22  
Zanesgrammy

Default Not working this time around!

Monet suggested I post this here for you all to see!

2 years ago I lost 45 lbs on SB. I gave up smoking 10/28/04 however, I gained every pound back. Loved SB because it simply killed the cravings and it really worked.

It isn't working this time - but neither is low calorie - and on that I'm so hungry, low blood sugar and cranky!

Has anyone else had this happen and if so, how did you overcome it? I'm so very uncomfortable I could scream! I think quiting smoking has really knocked my metabolism for a loop! I hear it can take up to a year for it to "kick back in" - Anyway - just wondering if anyone else has had this happen, and what did you do?

Thanks for any hints etc. Summer in Arizona is hot, hot, hot, and extra weight is a killer.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:02 PM   #23  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

AFTERNOON ALL YOU BUSTIN BEAUTYS!!!!

ONE OF THESE DAYS.....I'll learn to stop bragging about this sunshine down here! The thunder and lightening woke me up at 5a.m. and it stormed all morning...we got over 2 inches of rain before it quit....NOW IT'S HOT AND STEAMY!!! It was supposed to rain for the next two days, but from the looks of outside, it's going to have to hurry up and get here....

JACKIE.....SUSAN has a great recipe for BAKED BEANS...maybe she'll see this and post it...Glad to hear that y'all had a good weekend...

MONET...I can't believe that PITTY PAT'S is STILL OPEN!!! Another good one from the past is COACH AND SIX...I understand that it's gone now...it was expensive but man did they have good food!

NAT...Normally, Tippy gets a bath every two weeks, but now that grass cutting season is back in full swing, she'll be getting one more often. The man who cuts out grass comes inside when he's done and she just loves him...well...needless to say, he's all sweaty and smelly and after he loves on her, she smells just like him! UCK!!!

KRIS...I'll get the cleaning supplies ready and by the time you get here, I'll have them all together for you!!!

SUSAN.... NO YOU DIDN"T BRING UP KROGER'S KNOWIN FULL WELL WHAT THAT DOES TO ME!!!!!

JULIA...I checked out that website....we're already planning to swing by there on our next trip up...sometimes we take US441 and it says they are 18 miles from Madison....My mouth is watering all ready!
That BABY must be doing flip flops....after a day of eating like the other day and then be all legal today....

TONI.....

FLANNEL....{{{{{{{WELCOME}}}}}}}} We're glad to have you with us!

Well, I'm doing some laundry, so I'll be back later...

BOB
Old 05-31-2005, 05:43 PM   #24  

I went to the store and got some things, after going to the credit union. I just got back and Tom was pulling in at the same time. I need to go figure out something for dinner, and make his smoothies and lunch for tomorrow. I feel kind of tired though... No rest for the wicked...

BOB: The next time you come anywhere NEAR Atlanta, you BETTER make sure you plan time for me! Ditto when I get down there. With all the plumbing problems, poor Tom is not in the mood to discuss spending money on a vacation....but if he gets to choose, it will be Sarasota!

TECH: Happy Anniversary! That campout will be a blast and you know it! We have a place like that village near us. It has an agricultural village from the early 1800's, and the late 1800's, and the early 1900's. The three areas are all separate, and they have explanations of all the equipment and such. You can reserve a day there, and they will let the kids 'help'. They make them muck out the stalls in the barn, or help cook lunch over a fireplace, or work in the sawmill. Its a lot of fun. Enjoy your trip!

KENG: I hope too, that Junior doesn't grow to be a monster baby before he is born! My son was 8 lbs 11oz, and the girls were 9lb2oz, and 9 lb 8oz!

PANCHO: You do so well on the workouts! How long does it take you do do your workouts?

HEART: Sounds like you are learning a lot...you know you eat emotionally, and you know you can't handle sugar. I have a suggestion...why not stay away from anything sweet, like the SF yogurt, until you are more in control. SF stuff can keep your system craving sugar. Just a thought...

ZANE: Welcome! I have had trouble getting back on track. I quit smoking about 30 years ago, and I used ice tea as my crutch, and ended up losing weight. Do you exercise? That ought to help...I am sure others will have ideas. Do post some menus for others to critique. That ought to help....
Old 05-31-2005, 10:36 PM   #25  

Default New Here... couple questions.

I've been looking around on 3fatchicks for a couple months now and just noticed this section of the board tonight. I had no idea there was anything like sugarbusters here. Anyways, what is it? I know it's all about cutting out sugar but is there a method?

I'm addicted to sugar. I have craving for it with little will power to say no to myself. I have coffee with my sugar, cream of wheat with my sugar, about 2 to 4 granola bars which taste like they're riddled with sugar every day, and a daily bag of m&m's when I haven't filled my sugar quota well enough. I want to cut out the sugar and have thought about which way would be the best way but i'm a bit unequipped and afraid, really, because what will I have it place of all that and where will I get my will power from?

anyways, I'm not digging the format of this part of the forum but still glad i found you! If someone can give me a starting point that'd be wonderful!!

thanks!
Old 05-31-2005, 10:56 PM   #26  

TMMGEE: There is a book, (Sugarbusters!!) that you can probably find at the library, that will explain the Sugarbusters program in depth. In a nutshell, it is a low glycemic diet. In other words, you avoid things that cause a big insulin response. The list of avoids include white flour, white sugar, white rice, white bread, white potatoes, bananas, pineapple, beets and corn. Whole grains are ok, like 100% whole wheat bread, brown rice, sweet potatoes, and other whole grains like oatmeal (NOT instant!) Any processed food needs to have three grams of sugar per serving, or less. Once you get past the first few days of sugar withdrawal, the cravings for it go away. Eventually, your sweet taste buds get 'reset' and you will wonder how you ever tolerated all the sugar!

The group on here is great about answering questions, offering advice and support...I hope you find a 'home' here, and join our group.

I know the format of making replies instead of new threads can seem awkward at first, you do get used to it. It was this way when I first joined, and I guess we are just used to it.

Anyway, we are all recovering sugar addicts here, I think! Jump right in!
Old 05-31-2005, 11:40 PM   #27  

Height: 5' 7"

Default Good evening,

Howdy ya'll. I'm over at mama's and thought I'd try to sneak on and say howdy. I cooked the most awesome meal for dinner. Of course it wasn't SB legal so I won't go into details. But I did enjoy the fried green tomatoes and then some more fried green tomatoes. As soon as I finish this post I'm gonna walk on mama's tread mill.

Jack-K...I am so sorry that your back is hurting. Saying a prayer for you. Mama is going for a block Thursday for hers.

Heart...((hugs)) I wish I could say I don't relate but boy do I relate. Right this second my shorts are a bit snug because of recent indulgences. Praying you find that motivation and drive again. Remember you may be up a bit but you are not going to gain it all back. This is temporary. You will be back in the swing of things in no time.

Monet...you wouldn't belive what a little bit of rain did for the garden. I picked four squash this morning that seemed to grow over night. The other day I made a mean green bean salad with an herb vinegrette. The marigold mint added just the right umph.

Susan...thanks. You are so right about feast or famine when it comes to the rain.

Welcome to all the new members.

I had to cut this short earlier but I've snuck back on to finish. Had a great walk. Okay and okay walk but I got it done..LOL

Poncho...hang in there. It won't take any time for you to be back at a comfortable weight. You are still a tiny little thing.

Julia...you are doing great. Remember this is the time in the pregnancy where you gain the most at once.

Bob...howdy. How is your shoulder doing?

((Everybody))

Okay, it really is good bye this time.

Love and hugs,
Crystle

Last edited by CountryMom4Him; 06-01-2005 at 12:21 AM.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:52 AM   #28  

Default Wiw!

Ok, I will confess I got on the scale this morning, and it was NOT pretty...in fact, it was down right depressingly ugly. Someone kick me in the butt, cause I sure need it! I am up 36 pounds from my low point, a year ago. Twenty of them have been since my surgery in October, and I keep losing and regaining 10 to 15 of those.... I need to get serious here. I am going to start with portion control. Instead of three eggs for breakfast, I should only have one. I think I will try cutting down to about half what I take on plate, and see what happens. I also need to cut out all the little cheats I have been indulging in. (a sliver of cake, a handful of chips...) I also need to quit drinking ice tea with fructose in it. I don't think I can tolerate the fructose. I need to get back to drinking plenty of water during the day. Any of you who feel like it, please hold me accountable and ask me how I am doing.

Its raining here, and very dreary. I have a meeting to go to this morning, and I promised a friend I would run an errand for her. I need to get cleaning for the party Saturday...I just don't seem to be able to get up the motivation!

I hope everyone's WIW is better than mine....
Old 06-01-2005, 09:31 AM   #29  

Yea! I got on my scale this morning and I've lost 2 lbs.! I've been wanting to get back to being really good, but thought I'd wait till I return from vacation to get really serious. I guess the little steps I've been taking so far have paid off. It's still raining here in north georgia, they're gonna rename us the new rain forest shortly!
I took Sean to the neurologist yesterday for his headaches. We were referred to him by the new pediatrician we've been using. He was great! Our old pediatrician felt that Sean was not having the headaches often enough, go figure! This one put Sean on topamax for prevention, imitrex if he starts to get one, and darvocet if all else fails. He chose topamax becuse the only major side effect it has is appetite suppression, leading to weight loss. Sean is insulin resistant and overweight, so this is not a bad thing. We will see how it goes and pray that it brings the child some relief! If he gets one of these headaches, he is just out for the day. he has missed field trips this year and missed the cookout on Monday because of this, so were ready for someone to care and try to treat it. he missed 8 days of school this year and 6 of them were because of headaches, that doesn't count all the days he made it home from school before crashing. Today we are off to the cardiologist to try to figure out why his cholesterol is so high for a kid. They are going to check him for at least one hereditary condition that could be causing it. I had never heard of it, but I don't know everything!
Well, I hope everyone has a great day!
Old 06-01-2005, 10:17 AM   #30  
Goddess

Default Good Wednesday Morning!

Another dreary rainer day here. It just poured all day yesterday and looks like it is going to do the same thing today.

Today is WI and I'm a little apprehensive. The scale had been showing a really good loss, but yesterday I ate foods with a lot of sodium and today am retaining a lot of water. AArrgghh--I hate it when that happens on WI day!

Thin--congrats on the 2lbs! Don't wait until after vacation--there is no time like the present.

Monet--I know the feeling. I am just now back to where I was when I joined this board three years ago! It's still 20 lbs above my low. I think concentrating on portion control is an excellent idea. I'd been noticing all the "little cheats" too. You know that they add up. In fact, I'm not telling you anything you don't know. Now its time to do it! We'll be with you every step of the way!

Country---mmmmm, you can come cook for me anytime!

tmgeekette===WELCOME! Monet gave you good advice. Do try to get your hands on the book and read it. It really helps to know all the nasty things that refined sugar does to your body. Once you get the sugar out of your system you will find that you lose your taste for it.

BOB--Girl, you are just going to have to come for a visit and your can shop at your favorite store all you want!!!!!

Zane--It's great to hear from you again. You are in the right place--we've all backslid from time to time (see above). Come hang with us again and we will help you get back on track!

Tech--I'm gald you had a good anniversary. The talipia sounds delish!

Heart--That emotional eating is the worst. But before you put something in your mouth stop and ask yourself: "will this make me feel better or worse when I am finished eating it?" If the answer is worse--then why would you eat it?

Toni--I envy your sunshine. I know we will see the sun again one day. I have faith!

Julia--I agree, it does help to get out of the house--even for a little while. It looks like we are in for a week or so of this weather--ick!

Nat--I got some peaches the other day--they are pretty good to be early peaches. That's the ggreat thing about summer--with the fresh fruit and berries everything tastes so wonderful! You don't need refined sugars with the good friut and veggies!

Whew! I think I relpied to everyone--if I missed you I apologize!

Have a great OP Day and a god WI everyone!

Susan
Closed Thread