Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: WHICH DO YOU FEEL IS THE HARDEST TO FIND THINGS TO EAT ON SB?
BREAKFAST 5 21.74%
LUNCH 5 21.74%
DINNER 3 13.04%
SNACKS 10 43.48%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 10:09 PM   #31  

Hello Everyone...

No way I can catch up on all the post but I will send a general one to all of us (including myself).

We've talked about how successful weight loss happens when you journal your food, excercise and weigh each week. I've added coming to this Board. But I think we need to add...dealing with emotional eating.

I think that emotional eating is the cause of why I have a hard time stayiing away from food. I am very much like an alcoholic (both parents were so I quess this should not be a surprise)...I reach for food for comfort and in some ways I think I use food as a drug to numb how I feel. Chocolate to help lift my mood. Mashed potatoes to make me feel more relaxed. Sugar to make me hyper. So, I was thinking about this and looked up the Serenity Prayer that is part of what Alcoholics Anonymous use as an integral part of their meetings. It wouldn't hurt to make it one of our mantras too!

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Next time I reach for something not OP...I hope I remember this!

BOB...I didn't eat fish. Missy asked me where I like to eat in Gulf Shores...I told her Louisianna Lagniappe...so that is what we were talking about. Hubby is ok...I just won't push so hard next time when we walk in 90 degree weather

TV...Where is the Curves you belong to? I live in Bham and I don't think we have one here..

Ok, all you know I combine SB and WW. Today my points went down because I went to a lower weight I was HUNGRY most of the day but I know I will get use to it. As for starchy carbs I probably eat more than most SBers. I did before and I do now...but I still lose and that's what is important.

I did go to the SB pyramid that is in the kids book and it says you can have 3-6 starchy carbs. If you are not losing wt you should only have 3. I am sure when I plateau...that will be the first thing I give up.

cheerios for breakfast w/LF milk
1 piece WW bread
1/4 cup WW pasta with tuna and tomato for lunch
WW bread for dinner
1 cup grapes for snack.

Other food - cheese stick for snack, yogurt for snack and grilled chicken, carrots.

Oh...I tried something new with the chicken. I drizzled a little olive oil on it and used a Greek seasoning blend. Then grilled it. It was wonderful. Hubby guzzled it and asked for more.

Deb...I take the Citrucel fiber pills every morning instead of Fiber One. They are great.

Talk to all of you tomorrow.

Anna
222/174/140

Last edited by beachfan37; 08-11-2003 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:11 PM   #32  
Goddess

Thumbs down Good Evening!

It's almost 9 o'clock and I think I'm going to take a pain pill and crawl into bed soon. TOM should wind down in another day or two--not soon enough as far as I'm concerned.

Gator--I'm coming to your house for dinner! Yum! I love cornish hens and haven't fixed them for a long time, hmmmmm. Again, I think you are the wise woman of the board! Now if we could just do something about your taste in clothes. . .

Agape--yup sounds like you've been there and done that! And you WOULD know that just when I hit "the age" that hormones are no-nos. And Monet won't let me take anything with soy in it, so the options are getting pretty limited.

Deb--sounds like you are getting back on track--good for you. I hate that you had so much trouble on the trip. But you are home now and have access to your pot pies!

BOB--hope that sun drys you out! I love NYC too! I'm looking forward to taking my youngest niece when she turns 13 in two years--but I'm going to have to pop up there before then. I need a big city fix every now and then!

SEF--speaking as a former ungrateful DD--we are pure *****es when we have it in for our mothers. I used to be awful to my mother, but outgrew it at some point and we get along fine now. I hope your DD will get over it and let you back in! But WE love you and you can come hang out with us anytime!

Jackie--Football season is right around the corner--hard to believe!

Ok I need that pain pill now. Sorry I couldn't get to everyone, but must toddle off to bed!

Nity night!

Susan
Old 08-11-2003, 10:52 PM   #33  

My startchy carbs for today:

3 garden herb flavored triskits
1 ww english muffin
tasted two ww and pumpernickel pretzel sticks
soy chips with rice flour

I am looking for sbstitutes for ww and trying to cut back on the carbs. I'll see if I start losing better

Good night,
Steph
Old 08-11-2003, 11:11 PM   #34  

Just a quick check in before bed. I have made a batch of rice pudding using a brown sweet rice I found at the Dekalb Farmer's market here. Wow! It works so well! It is going to be my breakfast tomorrow.

The congestion has settled into my chest, and I feel like I am choking. I plan on dosing with Nyquil as I go to bed. I am not supposed to have alcohol with my medications, but I am tonight!

My visit to the lab was ok, breakfast afterwards was a fiasco. I won't go into the sordid details, but just suffice it to say I need to get a clear start tomorrow morning.....

Sweet dreams everyone!
Old 08-12-2003, 08:06 AM   #35  

Smile Tuesday Tips

10 Trick Yourself Slim Fat Blasting Diet Tips - Family Circle

1. Eat smaller, more frequent meats...say 7a.m., 10 a.m., 1p.m., 4p.m. and 7p.m. Eating food give your metabolism a boost.

2. Drink Green Tea...it really does boost your metabolism...FYI, I'm taking the One a Day Weight Smart vitamin with green tea extract.

3. Eat spicy foods especially hot chilli peppers. (I can't do this!)

4. Eat breakfast everyday.

5. Eat the right mix of nutrients...this helps your whole body run smoothly.

6. Calculate your calorie needs to be healthy and lose weight. Portion control is essential.

7. Don't skip meals this makes your body think that it is starving and it will store calories as fat instead of burning them.

8. Do strength training...muscle really does burn more calories.

9. Excercise...it burns calories. Take the stairs, park at the end of the parking lot, take a brisk walk at lunch...

10. If you are not losing wt. go see the DX to make sure there are no health problems.

Have a great day everyone.

Anna
222/172/140
Old 08-12-2003, 09:25 AM   #36  

Default Tuesday Morning

Hello Everyone! I started a post last night, but right in the middle of a huge thunder/lightening storm I lost connection to the internet. Ooops!!! So what follows is as far as I got last night. I'm sorry I can't get to everybody, but I had to wait until I got to work to post this. And there's no time to do a post here, that's for sure. I hope you all have wonderful days. Take care. I have no idea when I'll be back online at home.

FROM LAST NIGHT:
Hey! Happy SOGGY, RAINY, STORMY Monday Night!!!

Geesh, what's with this weather???? Every day it's sunny and then every day it pours. I feel like we took a wrong turn to the Sundshine State. BOB, are you my new next door neighbor????? Paul's got a softball game tonight and I feel bad for the poor guy. They haven't been able to play for the past three weeks. Everything in the garden is supposed to be dry and dead by now. This is weird. We're still having to cut the grass once a week.

MONET---Sorry to hear that you aren't feeling well again. I hope you're up and at it with your usual gusto very soon. MMMMMmmmmm, your gazpacho sounds wonderful!!! I love that stuff. My boss had a big old bowl of it today for lunch. And it made my mouth water. Take care, girlfriend!!!

BEACH---Thanks for the motivational thoughts. It's a coincidence that you brought up the subject of contentment and gratitude. I've been having a conversation with some of my friends about the difference between being happy and being joyful. Your thoughts went right along with what we were saying. And yesterday we stopped by my MIL's house and she's so full of joy. She said yesterday that she is always so thankful when she's able to do something, even like when she's standing at the sink washing dishes, she pauses and takes a moment to acknowledge the fact that she's healthy enough to do that. She's really taken her diabetes seriously. She knows that it's a fragile business and she's so thrilled that she can go and do and BE!!!!

DEB---I am so sorry that you are feeling the extra weight. That's so frustrating and can really cause so much stress. Believe me, my friend, I have been there and done that many a time. You are not alone with us. Sorry to say many of us can relate to what you are going through. But you are smart to "stop the madness' right now before you make even MORE work for yourself. Last week, I mentioned that I do better when I weigh every day. It keeps me focused because that big digital number flashes in my mind's eye all day long!!! I remember when you were getting to your goal, you would weigh every day and that seemed to help. Even though it would be very disheartening to get on the scale now, do you think it would help you. Kind of like facing the music and getting on with what muse be done. Oh well, it's just a thought. You know what will work for you. Just trying to put good thoughts in your head. Just keep remember how great you felt when you were losing. You can do it again. Just get started and make it a good strong start with no going off the wagon. I had about six weeks this summer, where I was really struggling. Giving myself all these "little extras" that soon ended up not being extras, but a daily thing. Well, I picked up a few pounds. At one point when I weighed I think I was up about EIGHT POUNDS!!! But as of this morning, I've lost 4 of that 8, so I'm back into the right direction. Take care. What's done is done. Last week our WW leader reminded us that all the power is in our hands. Because it's our hands that put the food in our mouths. She tried to give us other things to do with our hands instead of getting food that we didn't need or shouldn't eat. When you said you wouldn't get on the scale, maybe you should and just face it. It might look a lot less powerful if you faced it.

FILLISE---Are you stealing some of our sunshine??? She sure get more rain than sun. Pretty soon we're going to have to call it Swampcinnati!!!! I'm with you girlfriend!!! We are going after a GREAT, SUPER, TERRIFIC OP week!!! WE CAN DO IT!!!!!

GATOR---Please read what I just wrote to BEACH. It's kind of odd how we're all circling around the same concept and none of us are even in the same state!!! I'm emailing you something that I read last week in the second Mitford book. Have you ever read them? They are great! I read them while on the treadmill in the morning. It's a great way to start the day. Sometimes my morning prayers will stem from something I've read in them.

TV---Welcome back!!! I'm jealous that you get to go to Curves. I have so many friends who love, love, LOVE it. Keep it up. You'll be sharing all your successes in no time.

BASHFUL---I think there's a disease called Celliac's Disease that has to do with being allergic to wheat gluton. But that disease gives you serious digestive woes. So if you don't have them, then it's not that particular affliction. I found mayoclinic.com and they explain all types of diseases very clearly. I read all about my IBS on there.

Okay, so now I'm getting myself way behind. But not much to do about it. Take care.
Kim
Old 08-12-2003, 10:08 AM   #37  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Good Tuesday Morning

Made it through yesterday but definitely ended up eating too much, but all on plan. I don't know what happened last night but I was absolutely STARVING and nothing I ate was satisfying my ferrousous appetite, so I ate but it was all in line, just the portions weren't I know it happens sometimes to me due to hormones so I'm hoping it won't repeat today. I did end up having an additional starchy carb, 2 wheat crackers.

Does this ever happen to anyone besides me? When you go on a diet, or in my case, recommit, you dream about eating stuff off plan? I did that last night, not sure what it was, but some kind of cake. Woke up thinking I'd blown it - that's more of a nightmare.

AGAPE, CONGRATS on losing another 5lbs, I'm sure your Dr. was pleased, to say the least Even though you think you weren't OP something seemed to be working in the right direction Thanks for the sweet comments about LAUREN, she likes when people say she looks like me and not her father

GATOR, when I was with ROSE she made this fantastic slaw that she said she posted on the board - you should try it if you haven't, the two of you really could open a restaurant together with the way you two can cook!!!

BEACH, I'm the same with the eating except the potatoes. Give me candy and ice cream, followed by cookies and any other junk food. I'm definitely a sweet person, over starches. Citrucel? What ingredients are in them and how much fiber do they have. I got well over 40 grams of fiber yesterday! Have to get some more raspberries today-love them and they're great in fiber.

FILLISE and EVERYONE ELSE - will have to p/u where I've left off. Have to run MICHAEL to a friends house and need to hop in the shower. Will have the computer to myself later on so I will be able to get back on the board easily.

Have a wonderful day!!!

{{{{HUGS}}}}

Debbie
Old 08-12-2003, 10:13 AM   #38  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

My TUESDAY TIP With all the talk about emotional eating, here's one site that had a bit of info on it

http://www.cchs.net/health/health-in...asp?index=4761

What We Eat Affects How We Feel

Food should make us feel good. It tastes great and nourishes our bodies. When eaten in too little or excessive quantities, however, our physical appearance can be altered, which can create negative feelings toward food.

By learning how to make better choices, you may be able to control compulsive eating, binging and weight gain. In addition to better appetite control, feelings of calmness, high energy levels or alertness may also be experienced from the foods you eat.

Food and its affect on mood-modifying brain chemicals
Aside from providing the nutrients and energy your body needs to function, food may also have an influence on appetite and moods. Research shows that certain foods affect powerful mood-modifying brain chemicals called neurotransmitters. Neurotransmitters are made from the foods we eat and are present in higher concentrations after meals than between them.

Of the many neurotransmitters, only a few affect appetite:

Serotonin -- a chemical released after eating carbohydrates (sugars and starches) that enhances calmness, improves mood and lessens depression. High levels of serotonin control appetite and satisfy cravings.

Norepinephrine -- a chemical released after eating protein (meats, dairy, legumes) that enhances mental concentration and alertness but does not satisfy cravings.

Endorphins -- chemicals released after eating fat. They transmit high-level energy and create a sense of euphoria but do not satisfy cravings.

Food cravings

At one time or another, all of us have experienced a food craving -- that strong desire for a specific food. It might be for chocolate, popcorn, Chinese food or candy. Food cravings are perfectly normal and actually may help people feel better by improving moods, calming nerves and boosting energy. Cultural influences, taste and emotional attachment define the foods we crave. Whatever the food is, the more you ignore the craving, the more it intensifies.

Women are twice as likely than men to feel good when they fulfill their food cravings. Usually these cravings are for foods containing sugar and fat. Most women experience food cravings more during premenstruation, pregnancy, at the transition of menopause or while on restrictive weight loss diets.

The number one reported food craved by women is chocolate. That's not a surprise since it contains sugar and fat, which increases serotonin and endorphins. These brain chemicals make us feel very good.

The more you ignore a food craving or deny yourself a particular food, the more you want it. Abstinence and restriction intensify a food craving, which can lead to binge eating.

Food binging

Food binging is when a person eats large amounts of foods in short periods of time. Usually the foods are high in carbohydrates and fat. Binge eating has been associated with anger, anxiety, sadness, depression and irritability. In addition, it is not uncommon for people to binge once they stop dieting, to compensate for all the times they missed eating their favorite foods.

How can food cravings be managed?

The best way to manage a food craving is to eat a small portion of the craved food shortly after the craving begins. This will satisfy the craving, prevent overeating and enhance your mood. For example, one Hershey's Kiss may satisfy your chocolate craving and is only 25 calories!

What food choices are best?

What you choose for a meal or snack can make a difference in how much you eat or how soon you will desire to eat again. Eating a high carbohydrate meal or snack will quickly satisfy your appetite and you may desire less food for the next meal. Foods high in protein and fat do not have this affect.

Carbohydrate food choices are high in fiber, low in fat and raise serotonin levels, so you may feel more calm and your mood may be improved. For most people, it is best to eat high carbohydrate meals for breakfast and dinner. Choose foods such as breads, cereals, potatoes, rice, pasta, fruits or vegetables. Candy may also be chosen, but is not nutritious. If you wake up during the night and feel hungry, try a carbohydrate snack.

The best time to eat a high protein meal is when you need to stay alert or your mental performance needs to be at its best. For those who work during the day, a high protein lunch or afternoon snack can increase your concentration. Eating a high protein dinner can increase alertness for those who work evenings or plan to attend a late social function. Choose items such as lean meat, skinless poultry, fish, lowfat tofu, legumes, or non-fat yogurt, milk or cheese.

If you are like most people, you will probably eat a combination of carbohydrate, protein and fat during one meal. Since the neurotransmitter for protein (norepinephrine) dominates after eating a meal containing carbohydrate, fat and protein, you may feel more alert but your craving may not be satisfied. Therefore, you may eat more or crave foods high in carbohydrate and fat. This will increase serotonin and endorphin levels in the brain and satisfy your craving. Remember, however, that fat should not exceed 30% of your total daily calories.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:30 AM   #39  

Good Tuesday morning everyone:

I have to take my 5-year old to see her gastro specialist today. She is supposed to see her every six months and it has been around 10. She has a condition called Eosonophil Esophagitis...basically her esophagus has allergies to certain things, including food and causes her to cough a lot and sometimes gives her tummy aches.

I did end up having Triscuits yesterday (6 of them), so that upped my carb intake to 4-5 starchy carbs. I will do better today. I am going to have yogurt this morning for breakfast, and save my carbs for a little later.

Sef: Sorry to hear about your daughter; it's such a shame...I hope everything works itself out soon! I don't know the story so I shouldn't automatically assign blame to your daughter, but if your son tells you not to waste your energy worrying about it, then I'd have to say the same thing. Try not to worry about it, and maybe give her her space for a while. If she is not responding to your previous attempts of getting together, she obviously doesn't want to right now. I hope you get back on plan. No-one is worth your health and YOU ALONE are important enough to get back on track. THERE WILL ALWAYS BE SOMETHING TO SET US BACK IF WE LET IT. Pick yourself up and give yourself a pat on the back (or a swift kick in the behind ) and move on. I know it is much easier said than done, but look for the positives in your life and cherish those things. I am sure your daughter will come around in her own time. I just hope it is sooner than later. How old is your daughter?

agape: Very true; that's a way to put it all in perspective. We can always find more good than bad in our lives. We are here and alive aren't we?

beach: You have your grapes listed as a starchy carb, are they considered a starchy carb or just a carb?

My 5-year old is still asleep; she's usually been up for about an hour by now. My 12-month old is quietly playing alone (what a switch). I better take advantage of this time to go get some breakfast, brush teeth and tidy up a bit.

I hope you all have a wonderful day, and I hope to check in later today.

P.S. Of all the recipes my daughter and I tried last weekend, there's only one that I'd recommend and it is the zucchini bread. It is really good. I had a slice out of the oven with a little butter on it, and liked it o.k, but now that it has been in the fridge, I like it so much better cold. It is moist and really good. I will post it later when I get back on the computer. I love to have this around for the mornings I leave early for the gym; I can just eat a slice on the way there.

Take care.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:32 AM   #40  

Good morning everyone. I'm new here and starting SB today. I've tried to start a couple of times over the last two weeks, but today is absolutely the day. I finished reading the book yesterday. I'm looking for a WOE that I can do the rest of my life and I believe this is it. I have a lot of weight to lose - appox 135 lbs. I saw in a reply to another newbie that this can be done on SB so here goes!!

Kim, I read what you said about Jan Karon's books on Mitford. I have read all of the books and love them. I'm also a fairly new quilter. I've sewn for years and years for my three daughters (all grown now). I made a quilt for each of my three grandchildren last Christmas, but they were tacked on the machine and not hand quilted. I wanted them to be able to drag them around and to enjoy them without their moms worrying about all the hours of work I would have put into them by handquilting them.

Anyway, I would love to be part of this group. You all sound so positive and encouraging.

Marilyn
Old 08-12-2003, 10:52 AM   #41  

Good morning everyone! I usually don't post unless I have a question but I feel really good today and I wanted everyone to know that I finally dropped a pound. I have been at 157-159 since starting SB three weeks ago and today (and yesterday) I am 156!!!!!!!!
My starchy carbs yesterday was 1 serving of triscuits.
For today so far is 1 bowl of oatmeal.
Tomorrow night I'm going out for crablegs! It is my anniversary dinner. We have been married 4 years.
Well gotta go to work will be back this evening to post anymore starchy carbs I eat today.
Old 08-12-2003, 10:54 AM   #42  

Angry Good Morning

Well I made it through my first day!

Thanks for all the support and encouragement.

Marilyn, I also have 125-135 lbs to lose. I wish you the best of luck.

Cindy
Old 08-12-2003, 10:58 AM   #43  

Debbie...I wanted to say that I had thought the same thing that Quilter said about weighing but wasn't sure how to say it. She said perfectly what I was thinking. I really think sometimes just facing where we are and moving forward is the way to go. Just my thoughts...Also, you will feel such an accomplishment when you see the losses on the scale which you will see!
Old 08-12-2003, 11:34 AM   #44  

S/C/G: 235/185/165

Height: 5'7"

Default Good Housekeeping

I finally found that Good Housekeeping issue, and read the article about Fad Dieting and SB.

I don't know why I'm taking it so personally, but, as I expected, I was really mad after I read that article.

I think it MAY have to do with the amount of faith I have in myself or the amount of faith I put in SB. The fact that this jerk is writing the whole thing off, makes me feel like I'm going to fail, that we're all wasting our time, and that this WOE is a temporary fad.

So- should I write them? Should we compose an article for them? I feel like putting my energy into this and contacting the SB doctors/authors, and getting statistics and showing GH & the jerk Jim Karas a thing or 2.

AND, what even made me madder, is that the author of that article has a website www.jimkaras.com because he's supposed to be a diet & fitness guru. BUT, you have to PAY to join his stupid club, and his books seem just as hokey as a "fad" diet.

AND AND - he praises Atkins more than SB, and I think SB is a WAY EASIER WOE and is more likely to be a lifelong lifestyle. (not that there's anything wrong with Atkins)

So, yeah, I feel like writing them, and then I wonder if it is a waste of time (and energy). B/c it would make me WAY madder if they blew off whatever we said in response.

OY! Maybe the new orleans doctors have a publicist who is working on it?

Kelly
Old 08-12-2003, 12:07 PM   #45  

Default Carbs and losing weight

I dont understand counting carbs to lose weight. How many carbs should I have daily if I am trying to lose weight? Do you count carbs by the amount of carb grams for each food item? I hope everyone will be patient with me and all my questions while I attempt to learn this new WOE.
Closed Thread