Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2001, 07:24 PM   #91  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Default Nitely Post

Evening All!

Had a busy day out today, but home now and ready to strip and throw on my comfey nightie

Sharon & I discovered a new chocolate at WHOLE FOODS today. It's in these massive bars that WF cuts up and wraps in cellophane. Anyhow, it's by EL REY and they have a dark chocolate that is 73.5% cocoa content. I tried a tiny sliver and it was good. After last night, I really haven't had the desire to have the chocolate again, which is good!!!

I am still the same weight but I'm almost mid-cycle and that may have something to do with it. Ever since I got sick, my body has just been doing the funky monkey!!

QUILTER, glad you were able to get on the board. I guess the great weather Narda and I ordered for you has made you happy. Hoping tomorrow's weather is nice as well. Looking forward to it!!!! Ummm, so you are going to be on plan tomorrow, huh?? LOL, does that mean I don't have to be the diet police???

OVERCOME, I don't see why you couldn't have oatmeal on a daily basis, well, you may get sick of it, but don't see what harm it can do in eating it daily. If you see a change, then just cut back on it. I would tell you to try and put some wheat germ, maybe some sunflower seeds or almonds in it, just to give it different tastes/textures, and to keep it from getting monotonous. Don't worry about that small gain, I'm right there with you on that one!!! It will go back down, you can be rest assured. What concert are you going to hear?? Good luck with finding the agave!!!! Hope you find some other goodies as well.

ANNETTE, I'll be happy to post you post for you-I can stick it into one of your other posts-how about that. I'm sorry I didn't respond to your e-mail, my time of the computer has been little lately and just haven't had time to respond to e-mails. I was told that your baseline boobie smashing should be done at around 35, so I'm a wee bit late on doing that, but at least I went!!! As for the Glucosamine, I would say, if your Dr. thinks it would help, use it, and don't worry about the little sugar it has, your health and feeling better is more important!!!

CHERI, don't worry about being up, you are in good company. Probably your body is just reacting to different things, and you gain is NOT from fat. I too have been lax on drinking water, some days it just won't go down-and others, I have no problem. It does make a big difference though.

FROG, how appropriate to have Kermy on your posts!!! Thanks for posting that site, I am going to check it out after I finish posting.

DIDJA, don't worry about the scale not going down, a 6 pound loss the first week is great, and most likely, your body is just adjusting. BUT, you must remember, you haven't been 100% on plan It's not to get you discouraged in me saying that, please, I hope you don't think that, but this may hamper your losses later on. If you journal your foods that you eat, you will see where you need to try and improve. It's really important, moreso at the beginning to get all the non-SB foods out of your system and let your body adjust to not having these sugars and refined foods. You'll be fine BTW, I love FRESH FIELDS, when we go to my cousins in Maryland, we hit that place a few times!!

FILLISE, you must feel great on the small goals you've acheived! Those were great words of encouragment you gave to STAR, we all benefit from reading them.

MELF, I have heard about the Carb Solutions bars, but have never tried them. There are a lot of bars out there. I don't think they are good as a regular daily thing, but in cases of emergency when there's nothing around, they are okay. I haven't checked the ingredients on those particular bards, but if you find them to be SB legal, than once in a while, I can't see them hurting. Honestly, I don't know a thing about the shakes. That's great about the scale going down-I hope I follow suit soon!!!

VIV, I went to the HFS today and they don't carry the carob powder covered nuts where I go, only cocoa covered. The only carob ones I found looked like milk chocolate-will keep on looking!

MSLIZ, got the BFL book at the library today, going to look it over this weekend, may ask some questions if I have any, hope you don't mind.

ROSALIE, looks like you had good intentions to exercise today, that says something!!

GATOR, yep, I'm proud of you for getting those things accomplished today! "Seams" you are really quite a seamstress these days-I got a hole in a pair of pants today, it's a big undertaking for me to sew the hole up, I can't imagine making a dress!

RHROO, wish I could send you and the other snowbirds some of our gorgeous weather. Just remember, spring is just around the corner!!!!!

Well ladies, I doubt I will get back on here later tonight, though I will try, and tomorrow we are leaving early, so I may not be able to get on then either, just depends on my timing. I will give a hug to QUILTER & BIGO for everyone when I see them tomorrow, and I will take pics! Trust me, I'm sure we will be chatting about all of you during the day-your ears should be burning tomorrow!!! I figure we'll get home around 9:30-10:00pm tomorrow night-long day, but really looking forward to it!!!!

Toodles!

Debbie
194/136.5/129
Old 03-09-2001, 07:54 PM   #92  

Default I am here.....

Hi Ladies! I am glad to see that everyone is still alive, althogh I have been in a huge hole for the past few weeks. I will admit that afdter finding out I was pg, I have gone outta my mind, and off the woe! YIKES!!! I don't dare get on the scales, but I can definatly feel it in my waist! I go to the OB on tuesday,a dn I dont think she will have a problem with me being on SB. I don't actually want to loose but I sure as heck don't want to gain a ton!

Anyhow, the board sure looks different. I guess it takes some getting used to.

Gotta go catch my evening nap!

Cynsea
Old 03-09-2001, 08:35 PM   #93  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

Default EVENING EVERYONE

GOOD TO SEE EVERYONE ON THE BOARD~~~~

BOY, this will take me awhile to answer all these posts.
There were none to speak of for a few days, then it looks like YOU ALL GOT YOUR SECOND WIND!

WHERE ARE ALL THOSE AUBURN FANS????? I've got to
toot my horn....GO BIG ORANGE.....For those of you who DON'T FOLLOW SEC SPORTS.....TENNESSEE BEAT AUBURN in the tourny YES, I know it was only the first game of the series, but HOPEFULLY, they can get to the NCAA TOURNY.....

Ashley: Yes, it's me who messes in the insurance...I do all the precerts/authorizations and referrals at the hospital where I work. AND YES, not to put anyones professions down, BUT IT'S LIKE PULLING TEETH trying to get some of these Drs offices to comply!!!

Cheri: SALT WILL DO IT EVERY TIME!!!

FROG: Great to see you back, and congrats on the "startup" on the weight loss..We'll do it...

SUSAN: Great inspiration to Star Chaser...Keep it up, you can be the motivator!!!

Starchaser: We're a supportive bunch by nature. You'll get it every time when you come in here!

VIV: I can feel that mood changing...just a little while longer...the FLA sun will get you back to you old self in no time.

MSLiz & Didjaever: CLIMB RIGHT BACK UP ON THAT WAGON....be sure to wipe the grease off your hands before you try!!

Cynsea: I don't think your DR will have a problem. This is a HEALTHY WOE...good luck....

ALL OF YOU PEOPLE IN THE SNOW??? KEEP WARM AND DRY...It's raining here tonight...WE NEED IT, but I sure want it to be pretty tomorrow. WISH YOU ALL COULD BE WITH US....

BARB: I KNOW YOU'RE THERE!!!!

Later

BOB
SW FLA
Old 03-09-2001, 09:31 PM   #94  
Goddess

Default Friday night

OK, It was Fitness Friday so I went to the gym and did 33 minutes on the treadmill and 20 minutes on the lifecycle. Thanks for the motivation! It felt good to be back in the gym. I always dread going, but when I get there I actually enjoy it! Go figure.

Frog: WAR EAGLE!!!!!! I teach at the University so I literally live, eat, and breathe Auburn. I'm originally from NC--Wilmington. Thanks for the fitness tip--I actually went to the gym today, which is always a victory.

Big Orange Babe: WAR EAGLE!!!!! I can't help it if all the wrong teams are winning in the tournament. At least football season began today!

Debbie: I know what you mean about the chocolate. I've always been a serious choco-holic. I too have bars of the "legal" stuff stashed away in case of emergency. I almost never touch it. When a do a little is very satisfying. I won't go into the ugly chocolate pie incident the year I gave chocolate up for lent. Let's just way that the secratary from the office upstairs was not seriously injured.

Viv: I really hope your bad mood lifts soon. It sounds like a pretty bad case of cabin fever and other things. Hang in there--spring will come!

Everyone else--it's great reading your stories. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone!

While I'm doing this I'm also chatting on ICQ with my 8 year-old niece. What a treat!

Susan
Old 03-09-2001, 09:39 PM   #95  
viv

Default pizza.....sigh......

Well, after another 8 inches of the white evil stuff from the sky, I managed to get to hockey practice....afterwards I was so starved that I had two skinny pieces of very thin crust pizza from the boys' and DH's pie.....I had to - if it were that icky thick crust stuff (remember, I am from NYC!) I would have managed to stay away - but this thin crust stuff is soooooo awesome. I would say that is my first major screwup in 5 weeks. Forgive me!!!!!!

So I am still grouchy but reading all theposts and they make me happy.

I hope you (also) forigve me for not doing individual responses as I usually do these past few days. I'm jsut so overloaded. Hockey season is coming to an end and I am coordinating endof season activities (I manage my 10 yo DS's team) as well as coach and division admin gifts....I hate collecting money (checks are good, tho!). So I am just tired. That and trying to pack,etc. I am just plain wiped. Plus, I got a few items backon Ebay to sell (motivation was Disney tix!) and that is time consuming too.....

So, enough kvetching. Everyone keep up the SB Spirit and IS ANYONE ELSE DEPRESSED THAT JEFF GOT VOTED OFF ON SURVIVOR? WHO ELSE BESIDES QUILTER KIM WATCHES??? I am so addicted!!!

Viv
146/138/128
Snow-friggin-bury, CT
Old 03-09-2001, 10:09 PM   #96  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

Default SEC DIE HARDS UNITE!!!

FILLISE: I AM SO GOING TO LOVE HAVING YOU AROUND COME SEPTEMBER!!!

BEACH.....GATOR.....WE'VE GOT A LIVE ONE HERE!!!!

My heart has been deflated....MY ORANGE TEAMS LOST TONIGHT!!!! OH WELL, there's always September!!

NITE NITE EVERYBUDDY....

BOB
Old 03-09-2001, 10:26 PM   #97  

Default More vacation report

Yo'd think I was the ONLY person to ever take a vacation . . . the way I'm going on so. Ha! But we are having such a beautiful time. This day's eating was much better, but I did over indulge with the wine a bit tonight with dinner. It was the salmon at the Outback again. You just can't go wrong with that.

Anyways, tomorrow is the big SB get together. Can't wait. It's going to be FAB!!!!

Thanks for all the reassurance that this is just vacation mode for me and that I am truly a SB for LIFE!!! I appreciate all your encouragement. GATOR . . . I hear you saying another day in paradise and I want to be part of it EVERY day. But I do get the traffic and overcrowding thing. Yuck! The traffic is MUCH too much.

Talk to you all later. Am even anxious to get back home and into the normal lifestyle where I can really read all the posts. I feel like I'm ignoring the newbies. (I'llget with you all later, promise.)

VIV---hang in there girl!!! Your time is just about here. It will be wonderful and all the "white stuff" hanging around your house will be a distant memory.

Take care, gals!! Let's me 100% legal tomorrow.
Kim
Old 03-10-2001, 08:23 AM   #98  
viv

Default Pizza

Hey! I woke up even crankier because I succumbed (though moderately) to the pizza monster last nite. So I started searching on the web to see if I could assuage my guilt. I came upon this - it was interesting, from the Pizza Marketing Quarterly or something like that. It was an analysis on how pizza places could make their pizzass more diet friendly to the top 10 diets and make more money! This is the response to the SB diet:

To create a pizza that satisfies the Sugar Busters diet, apply these 10 easy guidelines.

1 Eliminate or virtually eliminate all forms of sugar, including honey and syrup, from dough and sauce recipes. However, if you're using a ******ed dough-one that's refrigerated for at least 24 hours before using-you could add one-half percent sugar based on flour weight without causing a problem, because the yeast would likely consume the sugar within that time.
2 Keep oil and fat to a minimum-no more than 3 percent in the dough, based on flour weight. Use little or none in the sauce.

3 When oil is used, use olive oil. If you want to incorporate olive flavor into a recipe, use virgin or extra virgin oil; if you don't want the olive flavor, use "extra light" olive oil. (Canola oil can be substituted for olive oil in this diet.)

4 Make the crust thin to medium-thick. For a 12-inch pizza, that would be a dough ball in the 10-to-12 ounce range.

5 For sauce, use whatever portion amount of tomato-based sauce gives the best flavor.

6 For cheese, use a medium portion-say, six ounces for a 12-inch pizza-of a moderately low fat cheese, such as low-moisture, part-skim mozzarella or something similar. If you wish, experiment with a 50:50 blend of low-moisture, part-skim mozzarella and no-fat mozzarella.

7 Use lean meats for meat toppings-ham, chicken, and lean ground beef would qualify; typical pepperoni and Italian sausage would not.

8 All typical pizza veggies qualify-tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, and green peppers.

9 For the dough, use a stone ground flour, which has a larger starch particle than that of standard flour. You'll likely need to special order this.

10 Use 100% whole wheat flour, which is flour that includes the bran layer of the wheat grain. (Specifically, we recommend stone ground whole white wheat flour, for reasons explained below.)

The only "problem" is with guideline #10, because, as you may know, a bread product made with 100% whole wheat flour can have an excessively dark color and a somewhat bitter flavor. This is caused by the tannins in the bran layer.

However, Tom Lehman of the American Institute of Baking suggests an easy, great solution: Use flour made from white wheat as opposed to red wheat.

In other words, use stone ground whole white wheat flour. If that sounds perplexing, allow me to explain. Wheat comes in different strains. Traditional flour, of the type used in standard white bread and pizza crust, comes from a strain known as red wheat. It’s called that because the wheat grain is reddish-brown color. What makes it that color is the brown-colored tannins in the bran layer. White wheat, on the other hand, is a strain of wheat that has a lighter color, hence the name white wheat. The reason that it has a lighter color is that the bran layer contains a smaller amount of tannins than does the bran layer of red wheat. As a result, whole wheat flour made from white wheat has none of the bitter flavor associated with whole wheat flour made from red wheat. It also has a lighter color.

To obtain a source for stone ground whole white wheat flour, contact the American White Wheat Producers Association (AWWPA): 913-367-4422. Be sure to specify stone ground, as opposed to roller milled.

I decided to test the product before suggesting it. So I procured a sample of stone ground whole white wheat flour from the AWWPA and mixed a couple small dough batches. I found that the flour required an unusually high amount of water for proper consistency. After expanding my recipe to large-volume size, here’s the result:

Pizza Dough with 100% Stone Ground Whole White Wheat Flour
25 lb Stone ground whole white wheat flour
15 lb-12 oz Water(63%)
8 oz Salt (2%)
12 oz Extra light olive oil (3%)
As needed Yeast

I suggest mixing the dough by your current method and, at least initially, using the same type and amount of yeast. Increase or decrease the water amount to increase or decrease dough softness. Increase or decrease yeast level and water temperature to increase or decrease fermentation rate, or amount of rise. When baked, I found the product to have a rich, pleasing, nutty-like flavor what one sampler called a "healthy bread" taste. In short, I found no reason why this crust shouldn’t appeal to dieters, especially those on the Sugar Busters Plan.

Now if we could only get some pizza makers to do it. I still feel guilty about my skinny slices. Oh well.

Quilter - Glad you're having fun in the sun. Yep, the traffic in FLA always reminds me of NYC!

Viv
Old 03-10-2001, 08:29 AM   #99  

Default Need food purchase suggestions

Hi all, I am gearing up and ready to start. Somewhere, I saw a list of specific brands of different breads and other foods that were good for this WOE. I can't find it to save my self........ anyone know where or anyone have suggestions of their own????

I am going to purchase new walking tennies today. and I am stocking up on good water.

I need major meal suggestions of daily menus.

Is it possible to not gainweight while pregnant on this woe???? I would be happy to give some excess to the baby ;D actually I'd even be happy to gain for it, but the other option sounds even better as long as its safe!

anyway I am happy to have found you all andlook forward to meeting you and getting to know you.
Old 03-10-2001, 10:50 AM   #100  
Goddess

Default Good morning everyone!

OK, I think I overdid it at the gym yesterday--can you say stiff knees and back this morning?

Last night while talking to my niece on ICQ she was asking me about my diet--she seemed to think that life without pizza was one not worth living (Viv--you know what she means ) This is a kid who eats nothing but bread and sugar--in fact she is the anti-sugarbuster ! But then she informed me that she has given up bread for Lent, and the reason is that it turns to sugar once you eat it. I don't know who told here that(it wasn't me). Anyway the kid doesn't have an ounce of fat on her body (she takes after her mother and not the Eye-talian side of the family). I'm torn--on the one had I'm glad she is learning about nutrition, but on the other, I'm already seeing signs that she worries about her weight and that scares me. I went through most of high school and college thinking I was fat and ate more because that depressed me so much. When I look back at the pictures--I'd kill to have that body again--it was normal!!!!

Viv--Thanks for the pizza tips. I too really really miss it. I've been wondering about how to make it acceptable to this WOE. I'm going to print out your guidelines and take them to a couple of the local pizza places to see if they will try to come up with something. The nice thing about living in a college town is I've got students or former students working in most of the restaurants. Maybe I can talk one of them into giving it a try!

Beccaboots--My favorite brand of bread is the Nature's Own SGWW sugar-free bread. This is what I use for sandwiches and toast. There is a Sugarbusters! Shopping guide that you can buy for about 3-4 dollars that a lot of folks find helpful. I find the best way is to read labels to look for hidden flours, sugars, and starches.

Big Orange Babe--be careful what you wish for come September! Though on the Saturday y'all play Bama, I'll be UT's second big orange babe!

I hope everyone has a good weekend.

Susan
Old 03-10-2001, 02:46 PM   #101  
Little Engine That Could

Quilter--The reason for all the traffic is that everyone from "up north" comes down here in the winter time to thaw out and they clog up our roads. In the summer time it is not so bad!

Fillise--Yep, this is the last year the mighty Gators play the AU Tigers for a while. They rotated AU out of our yearly schedule. Too bad. We always made the trip up to Auburn, and stayed at Calloway Gardens for a couple of days, driving over for the game for the day. Loved the trip, and Auburn has a nice campus. Hard to find a good place to park, but a cute town, nevertheless. Guess we'll just have to stomp up on the Tigers this year so they can remember us!!
Now I'm acting like a real Gator. Usually I'm nice and mild and polite. Just ask Big Orange Babe and Debelli.

Sewing another dress. The material was just too beautiful to pass up. Does anyone else have trouble finding really good looking clothes that fit? If they are good looking, they just never seem to fit me right. My arms are not skinny enough!

Kim, Narda, Deb: Y'all have a great time today. Gators are playing Bball right now, and were behind at the half. BOB, my condolences. If the Gators lose today we can cry together. Only 5 months till football season.

Rode my daughters bike around the neighborhood yesterday. Felt good. May try again today.

Take care.
Old 03-10-2001, 03:05 PM   #102  

Default Hello

Just checking in. Looks like the board is pretty quiet today.

Gator, sounds like you sew alot. That white satin dress with the red jacket sounds fabulous!

Cynsea, didn't realize you were pg...guess you announced that while I was away. There should be no reason that you can't still follow this WOE, at least watching the sugars. Good luck with your DR visit. Do you know your due date yet?

Star, how's it going with you in our capital city?

Where are Joy & Beach? Haven't seen them on board for a while.

The scale is still smiling for me, down another lb today! I"m so excited that it's moving again...an in the right direction!

Hope all have a great day!
Old 03-10-2001, 04:21 PM   #103  

Default I found it!

Mission accomplished. I found the agave nectar in Philadelphia. It was at a HFS near South Street...can't remember the name right now.. Something that started with an E (didjaever...I'm sure you'll know the name). It was 2.99 for an 8 oz. bottle. The prices I found online are about the same. I'm so anxious to try it in, what else, COOKIES! I've printed some of the recipes Deb and others posted on the boards. I'm going to make one tonight.

We had a lovely time in Philly. Yes didjaever, we hit Fresh Fields....which I adore. They carry the Whole Foods brand Deb. I bought the same chocolate you did!!! Isn't that funny! Maybe we were buying it at the exact same time didjaever....how lucky you are to live near Fresh Fields. They have so many wonderful choices..esp. with their bread products which is always the hardest for me to find. They DID NOT have agave nectar though.

We went to see the groups FUEL and 3 DOORS DOWN. It was a good concert. We ate at a wonderful Italian restuarant...Dante's and Luigi's. I stayed on program(and remember it was Friday so NO MEAT for me) with the exception of one piece of Italian bread. It was one of those small pieces about 3"x1". I dipped it in extra virgin olive oil. Yummy!! I didn't feel bad about it b/c I knew I was only going to eat one and that was that!

For lunch on Saturday, we went to one of my brother's fav Chinese restuarants. I had already decided I was going to have my favorite dish Singapore Noodles. Extremely thin noodles with a great curry seasoning with bits of egg, veggies, and pork...similar to fried rice but with noodles. I don't get to Philly very often so I was prepared to go off program. I had them, they were good (although not as good as at MY fav chinese restaurant). Well....as I'm looking at the food boards look what I found from MICHAEL MONTIGNAC'S BOOK, EAT YOURSELF THIN & is about PASTA: (posted by Debelli)

On the other hand, you can consume the famous Chinese vermicelli, made from soy flour(mungo beans) which we know to naturally have a very low GI. Since it is also extruded and only cooked for a few instants, it is the champion of pastas having a very low GI, (no numbers were given on these).

What a hoot! I actually might have stayed ON PROGRAM without knowing or intending too!! Now I have a headache from the salt and Pete and I had a little tiff so I'm in a sour mood. Just wanted to share my Philly experience with all of you. I'll be back later.

Enjoy the weekend!!
Ashley
Old 03-10-2001, 05:07 PM   #104  

Default hi

Hi All! Well, it is a great day here in FL!!! It is sunny and there are Harleys everywhere!!! Bike week in Daytona - loud, but fun to watch! I worked today to get caught up on stuff I missed while I was sick, but everyone seems to be having a great time during Bike Week!

Deb: Thanks so much for posting that post for me... I was so pissed after writing all that out and I could not get it to paste. I could select all and cut or copy, but it would not paste onto the reply area! UGGGH!
Great job on the chocolate - one square! what willpower! oh, yeah and I promise to update my profile soon!

Viv: hey girl! You are almost here! only a couple more days, right! Actually, I will be heading toward Erie, PA about the time you are here - not quite sure when that is....

Overcome: Snow days! I miss those believe it or not! I would be skiing if I were you!

Gator: I love Gainesville! Hope you had a great day of Basketball! My hubby was a little upset last night as Penn State beat Mich State and I went to Penn State and he went to Mich State... he tried to act like it was not big deal, but he wanted to be #1!!! Penn State needed the win to be in the NCAA, so he needs to get his priorities straight!!! Hope you have a great day in GatorLand!

Hmmm. Can't back to the thread to look while I type... it says something about it being a long thread... anyone else have this problem?

Oh, yeah and if anyone is on Glucosamine or has any input, please let me know!!!

Gotta go before I get kicked off again!

Annette
200/196/140
Old 03-10-2001, 05:19 PM   #105  

Default I empathize!

Fellise: I just had to get back on to say that I relate so much with what you said about how you looked and felt in HS! I was absolutely HOT when I look back at pictures, but all I did was diet and exercise to death and ruined my metabolism.... So, I can definitely relate to your worry about your niece. Unfortunately, the chance of her listening to any adult about this issue is slim... If you actually think she has an eating disorder, that is different though.... Anyway, saw your post after I wrote and wanted to agree with what you said!!! :smile:
Closed Thread