Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2001, 03:20 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 225/?/155

Height: 5'7"

LIZ - congrats on your progress and thanks for sharing your inspirational story. It is stories like your and others that keep me going.
Old 03-07-2001, 04:30 PM   #47  

Default Body For Life

MsLiz - I've been meaning to ask you about BFL. Saw your pictures linked to your bio and was totally amazed!! What you saw in the mirror today was totally apparent to me in those pictures! I went to a bookstore to pick up a copy, but they didn't have it. Thought you could give me an overview so I could see if it sounds like something I would stick to - and then buy the book (I already have an extensive library on diets and don't need anymore that are going to collect dust).

FYI, I'm one of the many lurkers that draw inspiration from all of you on a daily basis. Thanks for all of the useful information. Now if I could only put it into practice consistently!
Old 03-07-2001, 05:13 PM   #48  
karen3000

Happy WIW! I'm glad I can say I'm down another 2 pounds. Sometimes I really feel like I'm not depriving myself enough to lose weight. Seems like all the other diets I've tried I felt like I was really sacrificing. On SB, I don't feel that way which is liberating! I know I'm not as "strict" as many of you are, but I'm still losing at an ok rate - and it's something I can live with.

Annette2 - you asked about the filters for spam - I think signing up for E-bay started the biggest part of it because most of these spams are related to merchant accounts, credit cards, debt, mortgage, etc. I was able to create a filter to catch e-mails with these phrases and direct them to a separate folder. Sometimes legitimate e-mails have some of the words and end up there, so you just have to check it and look. If there's nothing you want, you can delete the whole contents of the folder. Anyway, if you have Microsoft Outlook Express, go to File and click on New and set up a new folder (mine is called spam). Then go to Tools - Message - Rules - Mail. Under the tab for Mail Rules, name your rule (such as spam1) and click on new (or maybe it's click on new then name it - one of those). Then follow through the info there and check the boxes that are appropriate and then think of the key words that come through on your spam (mine were the ones I mentioned and a few more). Make sure you set it up for incoming mail, because you don't want it to go through your e-mails that you have opened and are saving in the inbox every time. That's really time consuming and things you don't want moved will get moved. If you have any questions, e-mail me. I hope this works for you if you try it. I'm not a computer wiz either, but I try to figure things out.

I like the name of Super Duper Chick for Deb--that was a good suggestion.

Keep up the good work everyone - you are all awesome!

Karen

Old 03-07-2001, 06:24 PM   #49  

Hi everyone

Well, the news is not good for WIW. I am up 2 pounds since yesterday, weighing in at 207 lbs after being 205 since last Wednesday. I did not eat well yesterday. Had mainly legal stuff but too much of it. No excuses except that I was pissed about something so stuffed my face. Feeling better to-day. Determined to get back on track. I just can't bear the thought of gaining.

The weather is better to-day. It's been a bright, sunny springlike day. Just having sunshine lifts the spirits, after so many dull, snowy days. I know we haven't had it as bad as the Eastern US but we have still had much more snow than usual and driving conditions were very poor for several days.

The only exercise I've had this past several days is a bit of snow shovelling. I have to get back to the exercises and swimming. Hoping to go for badminton this evening.

Debelli, I think SUPERCHICK is just fine.

Is everyone getting e-mail notification when someone posts after they have posted. I went back to my profile and de-selected this option also did not select it at the bottom of the message page but I am still getting e-mails. Any ideas about this anyone?

Viv, thanks for the info about Carob. I too would wonder about the sugar content. I am not too familiar with carob, have never tried it. What is on the coating for the nuts? Is it from the bean or the ground up pod? Sorry for my ignorance.

Fillise, I am sure if you can keep to this WOE up until Lent you shouldn't have any trouble afterwards. By then all the sugar toxins should be out of your system and it should be easier to maintain this woe. Enjoy some new clothes for the summer. You deserve them. And I love to hear about your spring flowers coming up. We know we can look forward to the same in the not too distant future. (I hope.)

Annette, when I am typing in a post I usually type it in Wordpad then copy and paste it into the message area. This way if you are interrupted while typing your post you can save it and come back later to finish it. What I also do is right click at the bottom of the screen and choose 'tile horizontally" and I get both Wordpad and SB message board on screen at the same time so I can scroll through the posts while typing the message. To get back to separate screens right click again and choose 'undo tile'. Sorry to hear about the arthritis and I hope you can soon get it under control.

MsLiz, that's great progress you have made.

Congratulations to all the losers this week and to the rest just hang in there.

Bye for now.

Marie.
Old 03-07-2001, 06:42 PM   #50  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Evening All!

Can't believe it's been so long since I got on the board. I wasn't able to get on this morning, had to get in my walk, jump in the shower (please, don't try to invision that one) get Lauren to school and get to my boobie smashing/foot x-ray appt. by 9:00am. Afterwards, I went with Eli to his guinea pig appointment (he's going to be in a test for a new cholestorol drug), came back, went to the grocery store, picked up Lauren and came home - I'm pooped!!! Going to Eli's Starbucks this evening for a special coffee tasting he's having with some guy coming in from Seattle, just as support since I don't drink the stuff

When I was at Publix I found a salad dressing so SB legal! Never noticed it before, usually don't buy ready-made dressings, but did decide to buy this one. It's called CAFE ATHENS made by Marjon Specialty Foods, the one I got is GREEK FETA, there is another one that was SB legal as well that I saw, forgot the flavor. Anyhow, the ingredients are water, soybean oil, olive oil, feta cheese, lime juice, spices, dried egg, nonfat milk & vinegar. NO PRESERVATIVES, 0 grams sugar. Thought I would share that with you.

On the WIW report, I am still up, up 3lbs from my low, up 1/2 pound since last week. I don't think it's the sourdough because I haven't eaten any in a few days. I think it's a combo of not keeping track, not getting in hardly any water (sometimes I just can't stomach it, I gag) and not enough fiber (haven't been eating any veggies). I am going to try to do better this week and see what happens. I honestly feel thinner, and I've had about 6-7 people just in the past few days come up and tell me I look like I lost more weight in my face. I dare not even try those jeans on for a while!!!

Went for my boobie smashing today, what is the big flippin deal with it, only the cold bothered me for a split second. They also took an xray of my foot to see if that is indeed a bone spur, probably is. Hey, I even made a GYN appt for next month-you should all be proud of me!!!

OVERCOME, glad to hear you like the rolled oats, I like using them in some cookies I make (SB legal of course). I can totally understand how you feel about hitting goal and maintaining your weight loss. You're closer than I am, but it's still a thought we both should be thinking about. I think of this as a way I will eat for the rest of my life, but when I hit goal, I may try to see how my body reacts to certain foods by bringing some back in slowly, by these, I mean some fruits and veggies that aren't SB legal. I can't see any reason for me to add other items, like white rice, white pasta, etc. The browns are much more healthier, and I like them better. If something doesn't agree with me, I'll just remove it. I want to get to goal and then go 5lbs more "whenever" so I have this 5lbs to use as a "TEST". I'm sure you'll do fine! If you go to the MAIN SB BOARD, you will see the hits listed towards the right on each board, we have well over 400 so far on this board! To change your profile, just go to the top of the page and hit PROFILE and change away!!!

VIV, Thanks for posting the carob info. I use carob and find it easy to use. If anyone wants to try it and isn't quite sure, they can use 1/2 cocoa powder, 1/2 carob ina recipe, then increase the carob next time, then total carob. How exactly are the nuts coated with the carob-meaning, how does it stay on them???

FILLISE, glad to hear your holding steady. I'm sure by next week you'll have a loss, and you'll be settled right back into familiar territory. Just think, you are just 11 pounds til you get under the 250 mark! Set little goals for yourself, stick with us, and you'll be at goal before you know it!!!!

DIDJA, yep, lots of water (don't follow my recent examples), but I don't take water pills-not sure if anyone besides BARBEE does on this board. Trust me, you'll hit the loo enough if you are drinking enough.

ANNETTE, that happens to me once in a while now, but not that much. For some reason, AOL doesn't recognize that typing is not being idle. I will e-mail you the KEEPITUP program site that helps take care of this problem MOST of the time. I found it easier to type my reply into an e-mail and then copy and paste it onto the board. Even if I get logged off I still have it-NOW, if my computer freezes up, like the other night then I lose everything!!!!!!!!!!!! That is, unless I use the SEND LATER button from time to time to put a copy into my filing cabinet! Also, I think you somehow have your SMILIES programed off, they aren't showing up in your post, but I see the typing of them there. Sorry to hear about your feet, that sounds so painful!

RHROO, glad to hear things aren't as bad as you thought!!! Hope you have a quiet day tomorrow-why were the kids home-snow day???

MSLIZ, I've seen a site someone here on the board posted a few months ago of people who were doing BFL and I just couldn't believe the results! They are amazing! I have the book on order at the library, but it's in such demand, it may be a while. Thanks for sharing your story with the board, that's wonderful!!! What does your trainer think of your weight loss since you started SB/WW???

MELF, just saying HI!!

KAREN, CONGRATS on your loss today-seems you're one of the few lucky ones this week. You are right, SB doesn't make you feel deprived, that's how I've been able to successfully stick with it almost a year!

ROSALIE, don't worry about those 2lbs, I'm sure it's just water weight, and besides, you are in good company! I do get messages when someone replies to the board, but not all the time-I'll have to ask Suzanne why this happens. I don't think it's necessary for everyone to have this feature.

HEY, where are all our other board members that seem to be MIA??? You know who I'm referring to-YOU!!!!!!

Well gals, I've gotta run. Please remember, TOMORROW IS RECIPE DAY There isn't much at all on the new recipe board, but I know I will be posting 1 or 2 recipes tomorrow.

I'll try to check in with you all later, otherwise, tomorrow!!!

Toodles!

Debbie
194/137/129
Miami, FL
Old 03-07-2001, 07:22 PM   #51  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

Default WOOOOO HOOOOO!!!!!

EVENING EVERYBUDDY

YES, you guessed it.....BOB has lost 2.7 lbs!!! YEA YEA
I stopped taking my hormones, feel better, and hopefully have stopped retaining water

ANNETTE: I had to today when I read your post. And it killed me to be at work and not be able to reply to you. I had no idea that you didn't know that I wasn't a man! I saw all of those "I'm sorry" quotes, but didn't know why you were saying it. From now on, I'll try to click out my messages in a high pitch!

OVERCOME: Now that you've discovered REAL oatmeal,
get some of the IRISH OATMEAL...It's better for you than the Quaker. It's a little more expensive, but the results will be better in the long run.
There is a "sentence line" under the post block that says
"this is a long thread..click here to review it" after you click it , a new window will pop up.

DIDJAEVER: Go to the health food store and get some "dandeline" in the vitamin section. It's a natural diuretic "sp?"....OOPS...Liz just said that...I knew I read that somewhere!!!

LIZ: I DO NOT ENVY YOU AND THAT SNOW SHOVEL!!! It's pretty nice here tonight. Equivilant to a cool spring evening up there. In the 60's right now, but it's supposed to drop again. I had the heat on for a while last night to knock the chill out of the house.

VIV: thanks for the post on CAROB...It's a good one

FILLISE: As for after LENT? Just give it up again for the 4th of July! Then keep giving it up again for every major holiday after that until you reach LENT again! PROBLEM SOLVED

MelG: WELCOME...and come on in and join us. I'm bad for LURKING, but most of the time, I'm just looking around to see what's going on in the other forums. I do find that I HAVE to speak my peace every once in a while to make my presence known. GLAD YOU'RE HERE!

DEB: I don't really mind the mamograms, but RIDING THAT SILVER SADLE? I JUST DON'T LIKE THROWING MY LEGS UP IN SOMEONES FACE LIKE THAT!! Never have...never will...BUT, I commend you for making that appointment....NOW BE SURE AND KEEP IT!!!

Well Ladies...must tend to Skeeter...he has licked his little paws raw...the pollen gets between the pads on his feet and he licks and licks, and then licks somemore!
I've got to clean them real good then put neosporin and SOCKS complete with tape around the top. Hopefully this will allow them to heal! CHILDREN!!!!
Old 03-07-2001, 08:52 PM   #52  
Goddess

Default Wed night

I'm still amazed at the welcome from everyone

I'm trying to learn names so if I miss someone please accept my apologies--I'm gaining strength from each and every post.

Debelli--I'm quite impressed with all you do on the SB board! Thanks for keeping up.

Bigorgangebabe--I saw on your bio that you are a big UT fan. I'm in Auburn so our teams will be meeting in the SEC tournament tomorrow! I'm from NC originally and we take our basketball as seriously as SEC folks talk their football.

Everyone else--it's a daily struggle isn't it? Today I had lunch at Red Lobster. Two of the women I was with ordered fried appetizers and one was bound and determined I was going to eat some of them (do you ever get the feeling that there are some twisted people out there who see trying to knowck you off your diet as a game?) I kept refusing politely until I finally pointed out that fried vegetables were still FRIED! Then when the broiled fish I ordered came out of the kitchen it was--you guessed it--fried! The waiter was so sweet and apologetic that he had to send it back and I had to wait another 10 minutes for my lunch that he kep trying to give me a free dessert. If it haden't been for the Lent thing I probably would have caved at that point (oh let's face it, I probably would have caved in the face of the fried calamari). But I didn't, so I'm rewarding myself this evening with a lean steak and steamed artichokes.

In fact dinner should be just about ready.

Have a good evening everyone!
Old 03-07-2001, 10:50 PM   #53  

Default Good Evening ladies!

Annette....you're tooooooo funny with your story about BOB...Thanks, I needed a laugh Girl, hope they can help you with those feet!

MelG, nice seeing you on the board again. Come by more often!

Liz, congrads on your acheivement!! I know you must be proud to have accomplished so much. Sounds like the trainer is paying off. Really nice picture you posted the other day in your black dress.

Karen, sounds like you're following this WOE well enough if you're losing. Isn't it great that we can eat & NOT feel deprived!?

Rosalie, Good that you're able to get back to work. I sometimes complain about having to go to work, but 99% of the time, I'm happy with my work & it helps me to be occupied. Hey, I use WordPad to make my notes too, then copy & paste it into the reply screen, but I don't understand about where to click to do the "tile"??

Fillise, by the time lent is over, you should be well into this WOE so that you will not want to return to any other WOE. Keep up the good work. Good for you in sticking to your guns at lunch today! It will pay off.

Viv, I've never had Carob, but have wondered about it as I've seen the name, so your info was interesting to read. I wonder about the sugar content, though.

didja, I have problems drinking all that water too....I try, but it just is not happening for me! I am drinking more than I use to, but no where near enough.

OVERCOME, I read your post last night about using SF maple syrup to sweeten your REAL oatmeal & it made me go to bed dreaming about it. I got up this morning & fixed me some before I went to work....YUM YUM!! Thanks for the idea.

Debbie...Glad to hear that you didn't find the mammogram too painful. I've read or heard that they have developed a new way to do these that is pain free, but I'm sure we'll never have that available here in my lifetime..:LOL: what you think is going on with the weight gain...you sure you not PG?? Has the chat room been added on this new server or not? I can't seem to find it.

Well, I did loose another lb this week. I also picked up some Carb Solution bars last week. They have 2 gms sugar & 21 gms protein. Seem to be SB legal. I cut one in 4 & have been using that to help tie me over during my 12 hr shifts cause I eat breakfast at 6am, lunch around noon, then don't get home till 7:30 for supper. I usually have fruit during the morning, but I get hungry about 4-5pm, so these bars have been helping me make it to supper. Anyone else tried these??

Well, I've been a little long winded here, but wanted to say hello to everyone. Hope I didn't leave anyone out.

193/165/150
Old 03-07-2001, 11:01 PM   #54  

Hello all-
Just made some oatmeal tonight to warm up for breakfast tomorrow. Don't know how that will work!

Fillise...I'm GLAD to hear your azaleas are blooming! IT gives me hope! When our azaleas bloom the *#%!^$% deer will eat them. I'll live vicariously through you

MsLiz1956...your story was wonderful. It is life affirming really! It will motivate you to stay healthy. I am so happy for you.

Rosalie!!!! What an awesome tip you gave me!!! I never tried the tiled windows before. Whoa! You just made my life soooo much easier. I love it!! I'm using it right now. Thanks so much! And yes, I am getting email notification because I left it checked the first time I posted. Since this is one long thread whenever someone responds I get an email. When the new week starts be sure to to have the box unchecked (it is under the window you post in) and it shouldn't happen, as far as I know.

Debelli...glad you're going to the Dr. for check ups. It sucks but is a fact of life. I agree with BOB about the silver saddle..yuck. Salad dressing sound great! I'm going to look for that brand. I think I'll take your advice about reaching goal (although I may be at a stand still now!). I'm thinking of more for convenience sake...like when everyone goes out for pizza on a friday night i'll get a slice and a salad. Stuff like that. I will def. stick to the "brown" carbs as a way of daily eating.

Where is CONNIE???

I'm going to check out Body for Life at Amazon. Good night all.

Ashley
Old 03-07-2001, 11:14 PM   #55  

Hi everyone!

I just got back from Michigan (again). I had a very nice visit with my son, daughter-in-law and grandchildren. We did get quite a lot of snow on Monday though.

Debbie, thanks so much for all of the hard work you have done for the board. And thanks for the joke. I needed a good laugh.

Congratulations to all of you who have lost weight and to those that have gained or stayed the same, just keep on keeping on. It will happen. I haven't weighed in yet this week. I'll do it tomorrow morning and let you know what happens.

Well, I tried to send a reply a few minutes ago and to send an attachment of my grandson, Jesse, and new granddaughter, Amber. It said that it was too big. So, I have altered it and am trying to send it all again.

Cheri
287/274/145
Indianapolis, IN
Old 03-07-2001, 11:25 PM   #56  

Default Body for Life

CHERI!!! That pic is absolutely adorable!! Wow. Thanks for posting.

I investigated Body for Life. There is tons of FREE Information on the web site. They set up the program for you and everything! MsLiz I really admire you! It takes a lot of determination to start a program like that. Here's the URL for those interested

http://www.eas.com/sportsspecific/bfl.asp?F=BF

Hope that link works. Wow. I was amazed at all the info they provide. You may not have to buy the book!

Ashley
Old 03-07-2001, 11:31 PM   #57  

Oh my goodness what a beautiful baby and a beautiful big brother!! Congrats grandma!
Yes Deb kids had another snow day today looks like they didn't plow the schools out quick enough! they should have asked me to help! I did well today I guess getting back to work helped too. I went in an hour early so i could leave and hour early so now everyone is tucked in and i can post again now! Yeah! Wish me luck i am going to try to have a awsome week so look for me on WIW next week! I can taste that 60 lb mark!
Old 03-08-2001, 08:01 AM   #58  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Default QUICKIE

UGH! I just was half way through a long post and I hit something on my keyboard and everything vanished into thin air!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe this, I HATE MY COMPUTER!

Okay, and on that note, I'll start retyping later on and get my post posted (or so I hope and pray!).

Just wanted to let you know I was here this morning!!!

Have a wonderful day!!

Debbie
194/136.5/129
Miami, Fl
Old 03-08-2001, 08:55 AM   #59  
Check out my homepage=>

Default Body For Life Info

Thanks to all of you for the thumbs-up...that really helps keep me motivated, too. To answer your questions:

My trainer loves that I’m on WW. I discussed it with her when I was looking for something to give me more structure. And she’s a big fan of low-glycemic living.

If anybody had told me this time last year that I'd be a gym rat, I would have laughed in their face!! I totally credit Body For Life for transforming my life. It was just what I needed, just when I needed it. Bill Phillips, the creator of BFL, is a remarkable man on a remarkable mission! The book is simply incredible, and the photos are certified as legitimate – lie detector tests and all.

I researched a lot of programs (like I did SB and WW) because I knew whatever I picked had to FIT IN MY LIFE. The idea of spending 1-2 hours a day on a treadmill or figuring out Nautilus machines totally turned me off & I knew I’d never stick with anything like that. The beauty of BFL is that the emphasis is on intensity, not duration, of workouts. My workouts fit in my lunch hour, and that’s including time to shower!

When I found the Body for Life book, I just knew it was something I could pull off. BFL addresses physical training, nutrition, and the most important part, which is motivation. He takes the approach that change happens from the inside out, and BFL gets you to use VERY SPECIFIC goals for change, which was the most helpful part. I ended up having to make some changes to the nutritional portion (thus SB and WW), but as we all know, there’s really no one-size-fits-all program when you’re talking a total internal and external transformation.

I’ve never felt better, and I know exactly what I want my body to look like when I’m done. I’ve been able to maintain my motivation pretty consistently since August, with a few times of slacking off. For me, the most remarkable part of BFL hasn’t been the muscles! It’s been the internal challenges – what Bill Phillips calls “The Abyss” – and the changes in my personhood that have come from deciding to do this and following through with it. Not to get into details – this is long enough! – but I feel like I’ve regained control of my life, and have come through a very difficult personal transition because of it. The physical changes are just icing on the cake!

If you want a true picture – literally! - of what BFL is all about, go to www.bodychangers.com - those are ordinary people, some of whom I know. I correspond with some of them nearly daily, and they continue to transform their bodies. I could go on all day! If you want to yak about specifics, email me!!! Part of my BFL outcome is a commitment to helping others do what I’ve done.

Later!!
Old 03-08-2001, 10:13 AM   #60  

Hi all

I just finished typing a post and the power flickered before I had saved it. GRRRRRRR. So I'll try to remember what I wrote.

Yesterday was a better day for me, I managed to stay on plan and am back down again to 205 1/2 from 207 yesterday. Got some exercise in last evening. Played badminton and it was a really good aerobic workout.

Melf, to do the tile point the cursor arrow on the task bar at the bottom of the screen - thats the grey bar with the small program icons where you also have the START menu. Choose a blank part of the bar, right click then you can choose to 'Tile Windows Horizontally'.

Debbie, glad the boob smashing wasn't as bad as you thought it would be. I think it often happens that way, when you are told how bad something is going to be you expect the worse and it often turns out not so bad.

Overcome, I think I had that box unchecked when I posted but can't say for sure now. I will remember to check it (or uncheck it ) when I first post to the new board and see what happens. When I read the e-mail this morning I clicked on one of the URLs at the bottom of the page which said something about 'unsubscribe from all threads" hoping this would eliminate the e-mails but I am not sure what this has done. I'll have to wait and see. I thought all my posts might disappear but they are still there!

Rhroo, how are you doing to-day. Have the kids gone back to school?

Cheri, what a beautiful picture of the grandchildren. Thanks for posting it.

Must finish this off, hope I remembered everything. Hope to get in a swim before going to the hairdresser.

Have a good SB day.

Marie
Closed Thread