Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2001, 10:15 AM   #31  

Hi all-
The cable modem is working great..fast fast fast. I highly recommend it. Since Napster may be closing, my DH is downloading like crazy.

I have so much I want to say and no time!! I've enjoyed reading everyone's posts. So interesting.

Are we really ALL eating too much fat? Seems many ppl (like me) using Fitday feel they have too much fat. What's up with that?
Here's a link to my public journal on Fitday if anyone would like to comment or compare...
http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...Owner=overcome

Wish I had more time to post Won't have time tomorrow either. See you on Valentine's Day!
Ashley
Old 02-13-2001, 11:20 AM   #32  

Hi everyone! I had a pretty good day today even thought I had to go into fitday a couple of times to change the plans I made last night for today. Oh, well. It all worked out anyway.

Kim: I do know where Geist Reservoir is. Not too far from here. My daughter-in-law has an uncle that lives over there. It would be great if we could get together sometime. I live in Castleton, near the Fishers area. It's true that I am a night owl. At least at the moment. The company that I worked for closed it's doors. So I am looking for something at the moment just not looking really hard yet

Debbie: Thursday evening at 9:30 sounds fine with me too. I have never been on a chat line either except for ICQ.

Again, thanks everyone for all of the motivation. Have a great SB day!

Cheri
287/278/145
Indianapolis, IN
Old 02-13-2001, 07:05 PM   #33  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Morning Everyone!

Well, I'm feeling a bit fried today, mentally and physically! I am getting sick, what Eli & Sharon had it seems. Don't need this with my nephew's B/M coming up this Saturday-and I pray my kids don't catch this. Feeling weird and my it's already attacking my voice, sounding like a frog. Not sure if I will have it in me to even walk today Also, the scale is way up, which also depresses me. Looking back always before my period (due Sat., lucky me) I lose, and here I am going up, up and away from my low of 138. I know it will go back down, but hey, why not throw a pity party!?! I always feel that if I were cheating, at least I would have something to blame it on, but I'm not, and I'm keeping track of what I eat, and I see no reason for this gain, which is why after this past week of being up, I get annoyed. As I've said in the past when this has happened, I won't change a thing and will venture on, but sometimes, I just need to vent. I guess enough said.

TODAY IS TUESDAY FACTS and there has been a lot of talk about chocolate lately. Here's an interesting tidbit I found:

Some women keep track of their menstrual cycles not with a check mark on the calendar, but with candy bar wrappers. So says Debra Waterhouse, a registered dietician and author of Why Women Need Chocolate. According to Ms. Waterhouse, monthly cravings aren't something to battle, but a "blessing." She explains, "When you're craving a particular food, your body is telling you what you really need. Eat what you want to eat, just don't overdo it."

Ms. Waterhouse describes the reasons why women crave chocolate or fatty foods before their periods. After ovulation the level of serotonin in the brain goes down, producing a drop in mood and energy. Serotonin is a brain chemical linked to feelings of calmness and mood stability. Sugar, she says, boosts serotonin levels. The urge to eat it premenstrually is a natural response.

Along with the premenstrual dip in serotonin levels, Ms. Waterhouse maintains that the body's endorphin levels also fall. Endorphins are also brain chemicals associated with a lift in spirits and energy. "There's an endorphin surge at ovulation that lasts about 48 hours," says Ms. Waterhouse. "For the two weeks after ovulation, your body and brain are trying to restore that high endorphin level:" Chocolate is the perfect combination of fat and sugar needed to increase both serotonin and endorphin levels, she says.

"In the past, food cravings were viewed as a sign of weakness, something we had to find the willpower deep in the soul to overcome. In fact, it's to our benefit to trust our bodies and appreciate the food messages they're giving us," says Ms. Waterhouse.

For women with PMS, the idea that chocolate is okay in limited doses may seem to fly in the face of what has been standard advice for years: avoid chocolate, especially during the premenstrual phase. "It's not a black and white issue," says Stephanie Bender, Director of Full Circle Women's Health in Boulder, Colorado.

Specific cravings for chocolate and cravings for sweets in general are different, says Ms. Bender. "Women who simply have sugar cravings can address that by having more frequent small feedings. They need to be grazers," she says. She continues, "But when a woman says clearly, `I want chocolate,' we may be looking at someone who actually needs more magnesium."

Ms. Bender leans towards examining a woman's need for magnesium if she reports craving chocolate, but she called the possible relationship between chocolate and the body's production of endorphins and serotonin "fascinating." "The whole area of the marriage between endocrine glands, neurotransmitters like serotonin, and hormones is so unexplored. It deserves our attention and respect."

Research shows that a "dose response" can also be helpful in managing food cravings, says Janine Clifford Murphy, a registered dietician with the Nutrition Consultation Service at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston. "When we're craving sweets, a penny candy can be just the thing. We don't need the whole 65-cent candy bar to alleviate the craving," she says.

A "dose" of ten potato chips has only 100 to 150 calories and about 9 grams of fat," she explains. "That's not going to kill anybody or make them gain five pounds, but sitting with a bag of chips in front of the television is a dangerous habit." She continues, "Food cravings are legitimate. Women shouldn't feel guilty about them. I tell women to count out ten chips, have them with their sandwich, and crunch and enjoy every bite."
"If a woman honestly says, `I can easily buy one tiny morsel of chocolate and be satisfied,' I'm not going to say she should never do that," Ms. Bender states. She also notes that chocolate isn't the only way to raise serotonin levels. "A snack of complex carbohydrates will do the same thing," she says.

In general, a healthy PMS diet recommends avoiding chocolate in order to keep feeling your best. On days when cravings seem especially strong, be sure to eat six small meals to keep your blood sugar and energy levels up.

If you do "fall off the wagon" and go for the chips or chocolate, don't be too hard on yourself. After a dietary slip, it's best not to starve yourself later. Getting back on track with your healthy PMS diet of high carbohydrate, low fat meals will make you feel better than any other form of calorie-cutting penance.

BARBEE, I'm way up too, so you're in good company. Fitday isn't hard to navitage, just go to the foods area, put in your foods and it figures everything out for you. You can put in custom foods as well.

BELINDA, thanks for the chocolate links, I think we have one of them up there, but if not, I will add them in when I get a chance.

MISSGRACE, let us know which recipes you end up trying, and how they turned out.

JOY, hope you had a HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! Can your master cook program scale down a recipe. I have the recipe from Ole Ole for their salad dressing, but it's a large quantity and I want to scale it down for home use.

JANCAN, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to you too! Is that 14 or 41?? Your fat grams should be 30% or less of your daily intake. If you check out the TIPS & TOOLS BOARD, there is a good explanation on how to figure this all out

BIGO, have no idea about that message you get for the java, I'm computer stupid! If you still have trouble, we can e-mail Suzanne and ask her.

QUILTER, will e-mail you later in regards to your e-mail and Naples. The dish uses fresh tomatoes

AMSER, at this time, I am testing that patience that is little known!! Thank goodness I have more patience with this WOE than I do with my kids!!

OVERCOME, I looked at your fitday. I don't think you are generally eating too much fat. Looks like too little calories on some days, but it seems to average out pretty well.

Well gals, I've got to go, I need to get Lauren up (I've only called her 10 times) and then to school. I feel nauseaus and don't think that walk is going to happen at this point, more like climb into bed!

So, we'll do a TEST CHAT on Thursday Night, 9:30pm eastern time to see how it goes - sound good????

I'll check in later!!

Debbie
194/142/129

Old 02-13-2001, 07:14 PM   #34  
Check out my homepage=>

Happy Tuesday, fair ladies!

Got my WW stuff yesterday - wow, do I have a lot to learn! I finished my first day "over budget" already. The whole points thing is a bit overwhelming, but I really think it will help point out my weaknesses...

COUNTRY - urgent, urgent!!! visit my website and read the article I did on hypothyroidism!! I believe the link is on my bio page. I learned the hard way! If you have any questions, please feel free to email me.

ABOUT THE CHAT ROOM - anybody interested in a daytime yak? I'm only online during weekdays usually. Good thing I have a cool boss. I'm not getting much done these days!

TUESDAY TIP - I keep a "motivational page" hanging where I'm staring at it most of the day. On it are my goals, before & after pictures of women my age & build who've had the results I'm after, and little tidbits like quotes ("Winners make goals. Losers make excuses").

Have a wonderful day, gals!

------------------
"Half of getting what you want is knowing what you have to give up to get it." -Bill Phillips
Old 02-13-2001, 08:03 PM   #35  
***ORANGE CHICK***

MORNING....

DEB....I CAN'T GET INTO THE CHAT ROOM...this message says I have to have a browser that supports java...****it.....I'll ask the computer wiz here at the hospital to see ifhe can guide me.

I'll address the rest of you lovely ladies later....got to get to work!

Old 02-13-2001, 08:39 PM   #36  

Hi Everyone

I'm home today with fever, sore throat and what I think will be a cold. Hope it is not something worse. Feeling very puny. Deb, I know how you feel Remember everything will get better with time. Feeling yucky just doesn't help. I didn't get to excercise yesterday and know I won't today. About to go put my head down and sleep. I highly recommend it to you too! Sometimes just giving into feeling bad and sleeping the day away is the only answer.

See ya'll tomorrow.

Old 02-13-2001, 09:12 PM   #37  

Happy Tuesday Ladies

I was concerned when I read Big O's message about not getting into chat, so I did a test run!!!! Thank the Lord, I got in with no problem

Now, a note of compassion for you ladies feeling under the weather... I do hope you will be back to 100% quickly. Deb and Beach fan pop some extra Vitamin C. That can't hurt. Lots of fluids too. Ummmmm... can that be considered my Tuesday tip??

Well... I should get this rear in gear to clean up room the new TM is going in Anyone wanna help???????

I will check in later today. Take care everyone.

Ann
140/132/115
Savannah, GA
Old 02-13-2001, 09:44 PM   #38  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Quick post - going down by the hour Made pottie calls for the last 2 hours, weight has gone down 2lbs since my last post - YEAH!!!!

I'm off to plant my body on the couch - I feel awful!!!!!!!!

Later!

Debbie
194/140/129
Sick in and of Miami, FL
Old 02-13-2001, 09:55 PM   #39  
viv

I just wrote the longest post....and it disappeared..I find that so depressing...I addressed everyone....sob.....

viv
Old 02-13-2001, 10:10 PM   #40  

Good morning gals, Sorry to hear that some of you are feeling bad! Mike & I both feel like we're coming down with something too, so we're taking lots of echinachea. Coleman was gunko boy last weekend, he had pink eye, an ear infection and croup. Other than that he was great. Looks like its clearing up, and he'll be fine for his 3rd b'day party this weekend. Yep, I'm making one of my shape cakes, I think I'll make it in the shape of a little boy.

wish y'all lived here in Colorado, I'd invite you to my dud swap, which is scheduled for March 10th. I invite all my women friends over to my house. They clean their closets of all stuff they haven't worn in a year, and we all trade clothes (all shapes and sizes and styles) whatever is leftover is donated to charity, and it's a blast. Now we also have kids clothes and toys.

If anyone is interested, I recently posted my 1st web site. i've been taking classes and am almost finished. Between that and the freelancing and the kids, it's why I haven't posted much lately!

it's at: www.elliedickson.com
Let me know what you think. I'm a designer and illustrator, so it's a portfolio of my work. It's in the very preliminary stages.

Also haven't posted cuz I've been on a major plateau, gained 2 lbs, and haven't budged in a week.My back went out last week, so I wasn't able to work out, god forbid.

though a good friend saw me on sunday and commented that I looked thinner. so much for the scale! this is my 1st thinner comment, and I've been doing this weight loss thing for 3 months!

but my metabolism has simply ground to a screeching halt, I wonder how much of it is the hypothyroid. I take .175 synthroid per day. I know others on this board have mentioned they do too.

Well, I hope you're all feeling better soon! -ellie
Old 02-13-2001, 11:11 PM   #41  

Hi everyone, I have not posted in the past few days so wanted to stop in and say hello. I am hoping everyone feeling bad gets to feeling better!!

I am so excited about this WOL. I started "dabbling" in it 01/10/01. I got serious when someone posted about Fitday and I started logging my food, weight, water and set up a goal. (If you are not using fitday, I highly recommend you do, it keeps up with carbs, fats, proteins, calories.) Because of that commitment and the wonderful group of people here, I have lost 10 pounds since 01/31/01. I know that is fast and that it is water weight, but I have been eating like a queen and I feel better than I have in years.

I realize now that "white food" was literally killing me! My grandma had diabetes, and my dad, sister, uncle and aunt all have diabetes and I knew I was a sitting duck for it. The way I was feeling, makes me sure that I was headed in that direction.

The one thing I have noticed about this WOL is that I have almost no appetite. I can go sometimes six hours without eating and realize oh yeah, my stomach is growling! What a wonderful feeling. I used to wake up hungry, be hungry sometimes just after a high carb meal. Now I wake up and realize that I am only thirsty, drink a big glass of water and wait for hunger which comes around 11:00 or so. My cravings are also gone.

Oh how I wish I had bought this book when it first came out, but I thought no way, I can't live without my sugar, well yes I can, because of no sugar, I AM REALLY LIVING!!!

Sorry this is so long and so full of "I's"

But when you get on the scale and 10 pounds are gone and you are getting back into your next size down clothes, and best of all you feel better than you have in years, you just want to shout it to the world!!

Thanks everybody for listening, Debi

(You guys are kinda of a captive audience, you have to listen or you could just scroll by.) lol!

[This message has been edited by ebabe1955 (edited 02-13-2001).]
Old 02-13-2001, 11:26 PM   #42  
viv

OK, here is the abridged version of that post that I lost. I will try to keep my temper in check!

Had craving at market last nite, bought dark unsweetened chocolate....gag!

New scale good, hope to be below 140 within 2 weeks!!

Have Sugar Bust for Life - like it, like the recipes, supports SB.

Big O - thanks for recipe. Will try soon.

Connie - Mastercook is great. Will take you up on offer.

Ann - Like they say on the WW Lifetimers thread: "Take the hit and move on". It's okay - you will succeed!

Beach - Thanks for Sat Fat info. That helps. Take echinacea - 3 capsules 3x day for duration of symptoms. Works awesome.

Rhoo - suede pants. Totally cool. What color?

Country - would love to try Curves. Just can't schedule it right with kids, etc....

Melf - SB Sandwich Shoppe in HFS. You are so lucky!

Barbee - our virus came from a school system too!

Belinda - Here You Go thingy is that Anna Ka...whatever...virus. Same thing. Get rid of it!

Overcome - read your journal. Thank you. You are doing so great on the fat - but I think you need to up the calories a little more....there is a formula for figuring out your basal metabolic rate...which helps yousee how many calories to eat to keep the metabolsim pumped and burn calories....someday I will try to find it and share the info.

Ms. Liz - WW really helps with portion size. It's engrained in my brain!

Quilter - Thanks for the "Cawfee Tawk". Very motivational and I appreciate it. Also I love the mantra "nothing tastes as good as losing weight feels". Awesome. I will remember that one!

Deb - Try sauteed slivered red, yellow and orange peppers with garlic and onion - top with fresh grated parmesan and fresh mozarella ball-thingies....yummy - tastes just like pasta! :laughihg:. See my note to Beach re: echinacea. Take it. It works. Just stick with it. You will lose those lbs (from the looks of it, getting sick helps, eh?). Ww tells you to change your exericse if in a plateau. Maybe swimming or aerobics? I liked the PMS article - I wonder what Birth Control Pills do to ofset that?

Ebabe - I loved your post. It is wonderful that you are so happy and the plan is working for you. Keep up the great work,and post often!

Great about chat - I don't know if I can get on from hoem but will try - how about a weekday, midday chat for us at work?

Still very unhappy about losing my post. It was clever and enlightening. Oh well....

viv
146/143/?/128
Simsbury, CT
Old 02-14-2001, 12:06 AM   #43  

Tip Tuesday! Hmmmmm.... I really din't have one then as i was making my lunch and reading all your posts i thought of something! LOL My tip is that we are all worth what we are doing! The extra time it takes to plan our meals or the extra money it takes we are worth it! I started today (of couse my gun ho day ww day!) planning better. Came home made some sugar free jello with strawberrys yumm! and made some veggie soup which is "free" on WW! so that was a start. I know it takes extra effort but i want this and i am worth it! Right?! I found that if i make the sugar free jello, pudding ect and take it to work for my break i do better than when i am home with it. I think it does trigger me but i am not home to scrounge up any crap! LOL (wonder what that tastes like?) I WON"T go to that vending machine (people might see me!) so in a controlled situation i am fine. I am also trying to "shake up" my program like i said i need more veggies. And this is also where the planning come into play! Anyway done blabing! WE ARE WORTH IT! :d
Didn't check out if i could get into chat, but nights during the week are not good for me. Maybe we could pop in and see if anyone is around? LOL I would love to get to know you all better-chat is more personal i think, but this board is awsome.
I went and got weighed today! Lost the .8 that i gained last week! UGGG Oh well maybe next week will be the whopper! I need one!!! i know the little numbers add up but right now i am in the negative column! (lost 4.6 then gained 1 lb then the .8!) oh well!
BOB hope ya feel better! Deb too! take some pics at the Barmitza (?) o.k?
amserphim-hope the rooms cleaned up!!! sorry i couldn't help!
Viv-i hate when ya lose a post! UGGGG My suede pants are brown!!! and my sis ordered them from a catalog to boot!!!! didn't even try the suckers on they fit perfect! You are always enlightining!
ellie-sounds like fun!!! i am saving all my big clothes for a friend who is losing also its fun to see her in my stuff!!! sometimes i want it back!! LOL glad the kids are feeling better. Gonna check out your page. You can do this you know you can!!! It just stinks when that thing called "life" gets in the way!!! keep trying don't give up!
Ebabe- I am with ya!!!!! WOOOO HOOOOO on the 10 lbs!!!! It does work, I am also in that catagory with the diabetes i think thats why i have not found it a problem to addapt to this WOE I don't want to get all that medical stuff!!!! I hope that trying to stop it now will help my future!!!! Keep it up!!!!
This is my new favorite motivational saying! "The only one who can stop me is me....and i can take her!"
Old 02-14-2001, 12:10 AM   #44  

I keep forgetting to put this after i post!!!!! Der!!!!
210.2/145/4/135.0 (my goal not ww)
Mass!!!
Hey chat works for me! yeah! also here is another link to the menstration thing Deb talked about! Our funny bodys huh?! Its about low carb and TOM http://members.aol.com/lowcarbs/lowc...faqs/menst.htm
Old 02-14-2001, 01:22 AM   #45  
viv

Hey All Quick question (I am still mad at my computer....:mad

I was archiving the boards for Deb when I noticed a note that she had been having problems with a plateau after having consumed a decent amount of Splenda - that the maltodextrin (?) might be a problem....

Did anyone ever substantiate or look into that? Deb, did you find it was really interfering with your loss?

Let me know, I've cut out the aspertame and saccharin - Splenda was my new sweetener of choice, but if it interferes with SB successs - YIKES - I want to know!!!

viv :spinnning:
146/143/?/128
Simsbury, CT
Closed Thread