Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2001, 06:20 AM   #121  

Good Evening ALl!

Well I haven't been around for a few days. My dear grandpa went to be with the Lord tuesday morning. So needless to say I've been helping out my folks and preparing for the funeral. Thank goodness its over.

Does anyone know if the suzanne summers diet is the same as SB? I was watching her on hbn today. She has some beautiful jewels for sale....

Well I need to catch up on all the posts.

I haven't exactly been good so I might have a small gain.

Have a great weekend!

Cathy
Old 02-18-2001, 06:42 AM   #122  

Cathy, I'm so sorry about your grandfather. If you do have a gain, oh well.... you can get right back on track with the rest of us losers!!!

------------------
Healthy Hugs,
Connie
251.5/240.5/150
Janesville CA (an itty bitty town 80 miles NW of Reno NV)
Old 02-18-2001, 08:11 AM   #123  

It's about 9:10....I'm going to go hang around the chat room for a bit. Come on in!
Ashley

------------------
Poconos, PA
Fitday Journal
http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=overcome
Old 02-18-2001, 08:22 AM   #124  
karen3000

Hi all -

Cathy - my sympathy to you on the loss of your grandpa. How lucky you have been to have him this long! As someone who lost grandparents when I was too little to remember them, I envy you the good times and memories you have. He will always be with you.

I think the Sommersizing plan is much more restrictive in that you can't eat carbs with fat, or protein with carbs or whatever configuration it is. In some ways it is very similar because you don't eat the white foods (sugar, potatoes, pasta). That's about all I know. I'm sure there are others who can give more details. I also saw her this aft. when she was making some kind of bread bowl out of parmesan cheese. A friend of mine did the food combining plan (similar to hers) and did real well, but gained it back when she stopped.

What good tips does anyone have for the cravings that come with the TOM? I think that's why I had a little "party in my mouth" (as Dr. Phil would say on Oprah) with the chocolate. It has always been my time to go crazy with the chocolate.

Deb, I hope you had a fun day and felt well enough to enjoy the festivities.

Keep up the good work everyone. Another word of wisdom from Dr. Phil to the effect that "none of us are victims here; we all choose to put the food in our mouths." Well, sometimes I think my hands make the choice and my brain has nothing to do with it!

Karen
Madison, WI

Old 02-18-2001, 09:19 AM   #125  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Hi Everyone!

I'm backkkkk! Was a wonderful day with family and friends, despite being sick. I must tell you, I can't remember the last time I felt that I looked good in something I was wearing. What really made me feel great was when I put on the dress and it was a little big on me!!! Those 5.5 pounds I lost since I bought it really made a big difference. I got so many compliments, as well as advice on not losing any more weight-what do they know!!! Sharon and I were hysterical when it came to food. We didn't eat but 1 appetizer a pig in the blanket, minus the blanket-we both had one! They had a Caesar salad, too much dressing on it for me, I'm the type that likes to dip my fork in the dressing rather than have it on top, so only had a little. Then came the buffet. There were green beans we had and some meat, which unfortunately, was pretty darn tough, I told Sharon, this was the "dieters meal," can't chew it, doesn't make you gain weight. So, I really didn't have much to eat there. The cake and Haagen Daz ice cream wasn't even an issue with us. Oh, I did grab a apple and orange from the decorations around the buffet, but ended up only having a bite of each. Anyhow, had a great time and now I am home, relaxing in my comfy nightie!!

JOY, put you on my buddy list, so hopefully, you'll remember to pop onto the AOL BC once in a while! Glad to hear you are rid of the IV fluids and down-I'm sure come Wed., you'll still be down!!!

AMSER, you're on my BUDDY LIST ANN Hope you have fun with your sister moving. Got to get back on track, 1 day isn't so bad, but each day you waiver a bit off plan makes it harder to get back on track 100%.

GLORY, yep, had a good time, even though I'm still sick as a dog. My nephew was the one who shined today, though Lauren & Michael had just as good of a time as he did!!

BIGO, glad to know you got into the chat now-that's a big relief!!!

CATHY, my condolences to you and your family. The SS diet is very similar to SB, I read both her books before deciding on SB as SB was easier. They do more food combining and don't allow some of the fats like olives, avocados and nuts on her plan-one of the other reasons I chose SB.

KAREN, if you are truly craving something that bad, try to see if upping your protein makes the cravings subside, if not, indulge in a 1/2 ounce piece of chocolate, it won't kill you (now, if you told me that, I wouldn't believe you!!!!).

Well gals, I'm still sick, still running a fever, so I'm going to hit the hay I'll check in with you all sometime tomorrow.

Have a great night!

Debbie
194/136.5/129
Old 02-18-2001, 06:09 PM   #126  

Good Morning...

Well how do I get into this chat room? It certainly sounds like a good time. You see I'm pretty much computer illiterate.. Go figure !

Well I hope you all have a great sunday. I did step on the scale this a.m. and I "DID NOT" like what I saw. But I guess It is my own fault. So I will do better from here on out.

Hoping to make a trip to the HFS today. But who knows if I'll make it that far..

Cathy in Ohio
Old 02-18-2001, 07:48 PM   #127  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Good Sunday Morning Everyone!

Well, I didn't have such a good night, coughing all night long it seemed. I wish this would just disappear already!

Happy to report that I am down again today. I'm sure it's from hardly eating much yesterday and usually I drop before that TOM rolls around which should be any date - wish it would stay down, but I know it will go up a little. Anyhow, temporary as it may be, today I'm proud to say I'm at 135.5!!!!

CATHY, at the top of any of the main SB page, you will see a link to the chat room that says: Visit the 3FC Sugar Busters chat Just click on that link and be patient while it loads and you'll get there.

Does Thursday night at 9:30pm est sound good for everyone for the scheduled chat this week???? Remember, you can go in at any time and do chats, but I'd like to get a scheduled chat going as well.

PLEASE REMEMBER TOMORROW IS MOTIVATIONAL MONDAY so if you have any words of wisdom you'd like to share with the board, please, post them tomorrow!

I'll check in this evening!

Debbie
194/135.5/129

Old 02-18-2001, 09:30 PM   #128  

Good Sunday Morning Ladies

Hope everyone is having a good wk end.
I'm getting Hubby read to start back out of town. So again I get to be busy. but when he's gone i'm freeer to be on here so I guess there's a plus to everything. Well I'm also having a problem with TOM cravings any help out there

Ok just wanted to report in and let ya all know i'm thinking of you. keep up the good work we have a wonderful support group here:O

Deb: I'm glad to here that a good time was had by all. Did you and the Florida Girls have your meeting while I was off and if so how did it go. did you take pictures? It seems I alway miss everything.

Well hubby and I are off to breakfast. love to all Glory
Old 02-18-2001, 09:57 PM   #129  

Hi Everybody! Happy Sunday!!!

I haven’t really been on since Friday morning and have missed you all. I am SO THANKFUL for this board. It’s funny, though. When I’m really behind on reading the posts, I always say to myself . . . just read and catch up and don’t respond. But then you all are so wonderful and such great communicators that I just can’t help myself. I must speak. Get what I’m saying???

I've been REALLY hungry all this week, which means my portions have not been where they need to be. Yesterday I taught a class and brought bagels for them. I'm always so relieved when the class is finished successfully that I immediately go back and nibbled on half of a bagel. Man, I know that's wrong, but I swear I felt like there was NO way I could stop myself. That's depressing and as soon as I eat it, I'm aggravated and have all this regret. Too bad I don't get a case of the regrets BEFORE I stuff my face. Anyways, my MIL took DH and I out for VD last night. Has a wonderful meal. Salmon encrusted in black peppercorns with aspargus and shitake mushrooms. To quote Andy Griffith . . . MMMMmmmmm good. But I feel like my mind set has gone off the program. It's that old 100% or nothing attitude that I always fear on an eating plan. Now that I've had a few things that are NOT legal, I'm afraid that I won't ever be truly 100% again. I know it's up to me and I have the power, but there's this dread in the back of my mind that I've blown it. Ugh!!! I need a sugar cleansing!!!

MELF---I am so sorry that you are feeling low. Do you think it’s some chemical thing in your body (not about your food intake)? I sure hope you battle your way up and out of that mire very soon. No fun, is it? Take care. I’m thinking of you and saying a prayer that the dark cloud goes away.

CHERI---I’ll talk to my brother about the Starbucks. He’ll know exactly where they are. If it works out with your schedule, we’ll plan on meeting at one of them. Okay?

JOY & VIV & DEB---Thanks for the good thoughts and prayers for Jackie. I’ve been calling every religious/spiritual person I know to send up some good ones for her. Yes, I’ll take my camera if Cheri and I can schedule a time to meet. Wow!! Two board get togethers in less than a month . . . and I was feeling so out of it and lonely up here in Cincinnati. LOL!!!

DEB---I have AOL CHAT BUDDY too. My screen name is KimJGalati. (Not a very exciting clever name, but it works.) I’d love to chat there.

JOY---So glad and relieved to know that you are doing okay. You bet, you’re tough. You don’t have all that EVIL SUGAR in your body to make you a weakling. Ha! Take care. Is the splint getting itchy??? Hope not.

ORANGE---That’s so great that you got in the chat room!!!!!!!!! But I have to say you made me laugh so hard when you said you finally got in . . . and no one was there. It just struck me funny (weird sense of humor I guess) knowing all the circles you have been jumping through to get in there. Anyways, glad that you will be able to join us. How cool!!!

CATHY---Sorry to hear about your grandfather’s passing. That’s always a difficult thing for those who are left and will miss him. As far as the Somers diet is concerned, someone from work bought it and it’s different in that there are more restrictions about what you can eat together. I don’t think you are allowed to eat carbs at the same time as proteins. I looked over the material and remembered thinking it was way too strict. Like, if you were eating ww pasta, you couldn’t have any type of meat with it. That sort of thing. She has some recipes but none that made me flip my cork.

DEB---Glad to hear your day went well. (Although I am in awe that you are running a fever and can still be a party girl. Man you are one tough cookie! But take it easy today so that you can get over this quickly, okay?) The fact that your dress was a little big is just too wonderful. You are an inspiration to us who want to be in that situation!!! Do you think that having Sharon there as a support for SB helped? There are situations where I need a strong person by my side to stop my hand from picking up a no-no. 135.5????? What a great feeling!!!! I’m good for the Thursday 9:30 chat. Count me in.

Well, the dog is making noises that mean a trip outside. It’s brutally cold here this morning so I’m glad she knows to stay in the yard. Take care you all. Have a great rest of the day. I’ll talk to you later.

Kim
185/178/139
Cincy
Old 02-18-2001, 10:23 PM   #130  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

MORNING LADIES

I've got a FULL DAY...NOT a race fan, so that won't bother me...TODAY IS WALMART DAY, and my Mother has thought of a million things that I need to get...PLUS grocery shopping...that's always fun!

CATHY. Sorry about your Grandfather. You and yours are in my thoughts as you go thru this difficult time.

QUILTER: Sounds like you've pulled one of my tricks...gotten off program, and it's feeling like the wagon is too high up to climb back on...it will click, and you'll be DRIVING THE WAGON before you know it! Just be sure to HOLD ONTO THE REINS real tight once you get back up there!

JOY & OVERCOME...sorry I didn't see your post yesterday about doing chat. I would have done it in a heartbeat...

JOY & QUILTER: I'm adding you to my "BUDDY LIST" on messenger...

There is another big "wild fire" over toward Orlando...ALL the smoke is BLOWING THIS WAY!
It's really not "lung friendly" out there this morning..The fire is so bad, they have closed I-4 since last night! It has now jumped the interstate and moving toward houses. NOT A GOOD THING!! We need rain SO BAD...how bout some "rain dancing" from you girls up north...maybe it will help!

DEB: I know you all had a good time! Sorry you were still sick though. Try that espresso with a little shot of vanilla...it will make it easier to go down!
Thursday night will be fine with me for chat..LET'S GET IT ON!!

GLORY: good to see you back on the board! Since "Hubby" will be gone, maybe you can join us for chat too!

Well people, it's time to BRAVE THE CROWDS at WALMART...I'll converse with you later!

BOB
SW FLA

Old 02-18-2001, 10:34 PM   #131  

I have a great idea!!!!

Over the next couple of months, I'm going to put many of the recipes into my Cook master and create our very own cookbook. If anyone has any particular recipes from the boards they've tried that they want submitted, let me know!!! Does this sound fun???

Oops... Deb, am I overstepping any boundaries???

------------------
Healthy Hugs,
Connie
251.5/240.5/150
Old 02-18-2001, 11:40 PM   #132  

Has anyone ever used flax seed meal? It can be used in place of fat in recipes. This morning I made Ashley's whole wheat waffles, and cut the oil in half, and added 6 TBSP of flax seed meal. They were yummy! The flax seed meal adds fiber and protein. Can't go wrong, heh????

------------------
Healthy Hugs,
Connie
251.5/240.5/150
Old 02-19-2001, 02:02 AM   #133  

Hey all!

Good to see folks are recovering and doing well. Valentine's Day wasn't so bad for us. My DH is Sbing too so he didn't buy me any chocolates. We went to Costco (warehouse club) instead. My 4yo picked out flowers for the both of us. Tulips and Daisies. What a kid. My MIL sent us a package. Two t-sirts for the kids and LOTS of chocolate. Some folks never learn. But that's OK. I looked in my goodies bag and said, "these are going to work with you, Joe." He took his goodie bag too. I haven't even craved the milk chocolate.

So after Costco we went to a mexican restaurant. I'm really good about not eating corn chips. The flour tortillas are harder for me to resist. I'll eat one, but that's all. I order the beef fajitas (this baby is a serious meat eater) and eat them with the veggies.

We went to Trader Joe's too and stocked up on Valrhona chocolate. I made SB cookies and Joey put chocolate on them. Yum!

The rest of the week has been fine. We had snow Thursday. 6 inches. It still hasn't all melted. DH and the boy made a snow man so tall it'll be June before it melts.

I had a ****-the-torpedos-I-don't-care-what's-on-the-stove-already craving for lasagne. So I made some. It was good and legal.

I know I gotta go through our stuff and write down the legal brands we've found. I know it's helps when I see someone else list something.

AOh, my sister told me that acidophillus (sp?) is good for reducing sugar cravings too. Acidophillus is a bacteria that healthy guts have to keep yeast in check. It comes in capsules or better yogurts. Nancy's Organic Yogurt has it and it's SB legal too!

Hope ya'll are well and I'll check in later.

Take care.
Old 02-19-2001, 02:13 AM   #134  

Good Sunday to you all! Just took me a half hour to read all your posts! You all sound like you are dealing with life well! I had a good day yesterday went to a friends for dinner and went bowling! About 8 of us went the dinner was of course not SB legal! I tryed -requested sweet potatoe-she put Jack daniels in them HUH? One simple request! LOL I didn't drink at all (maybe just a few sips of the bubbly! :spinning I actually was doing well untill i spotted the fresh rolls my bud usually makes oatmeal and wheat but the store was out of the dough so just white they are sooooo good when they are fresh!!! I don't know why i couldn't resist then of course down hill from there! I am back on track today (i think!) Eating light did a whole hour walk! (30 degrees) I pawned my two youngest kids off on the inlaws for the week end! wasn't to hard its nice to have quiet time with just one kid sometimes! Hubby is getting a bit spoiled i think though!
Deb-you better have a picture for us with the do-dress and nails!!!!! maybe even one of the kids! LOL you must have felt good! even if you had to sit through that temple business! Now you know how i feel when people say "don't lose anymore" bla bla bla!
Melf-cheer up!!!!! we are here for ya sister!
BOB-stinks about the chat. I havn't been in there to chat yet i have to work nights sooooo probably will be awhile before i catch anyone in there!
cmd-you sound in better spirits! don't let your body get ya down!!!!! You can do it!
amseraphim-hope ya got back on the path just don't get lost in them! We are here for u!
Cathy-Sorry about your grandfather. Family being around helps alot. I know this is a hard time.
Karen-have you tryed the sugar free pudding? or jello? SOme people like salty some like sweet its hard but keep in control girl!!!
Quilter-I am with ya girl! I feel like i have to totally detox from the sugar after just one slip. Just that one taste of "white stuff" anything bread, sugar ect. I am gone! Good luck! Just do it! I usually try to lower my carbs the next day for some reason! Maybe i read that somewhere? You can do it! Just say "yuck" next time! LOL
Thinagain-you got it going! great for you. You sound like you want to win this thing! Keep it up and keep using your stratigies! lol I did good with no chocolate on Vday also. I do like the legal kind but the moderation thing is what i have a problem with! LOL
Gotta go pick up my oldest from the movies and do my food shopping with NO kids yeah!!! Keep up the good work everyone!
Old 02-19-2001, 03:17 AM   #135  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

Afternoon ALL

Well, I survived WALMART..it took me a while to get through all the people, but I got everything I needed (and some I didn't)!

Found the LINDT chocolate bars for $1.79 at the grocery. They weren't as big as the ones we got at the WHOLE FOODS STORE, and I couldn't find the cocoa content on them. I'm taking Deb's word on this one in the blind that I got the right one. BITTER SWEET DARK CHOCOLATE....is that the right one DEB?

RHOO...you must have missed my VICTORY POST about finally getting into the chat room! I had to download VIRTUAL MACHINE, but I'm set now...

JOY: I think that's a wonderful idea about the recipes. Can't wait to see that when you get it completed.
Sounds like you had a BIG DAY OUT...I love Mexican food...the sodium gets me though, I swell up like a big RHINO the next day! We have SAM'S here which is like your COSTCO..I've heard of those stores and would like to go to one, but I assume the two are about the same. I'M ENVIOUS OF YOUR BEING ABLE TO GO TO TRADER JOE'S From what I've read about them, they have anything and everything a dieter needs AND THEN SOME! The closest one to us is in Virginia! Little too far to drive for grocerys
I have two bags of flax seed meal in the freezer. Haven't used them. I do use flax seeds when I fix oven fried chicken. Give it a nutty flavor..

OOPS...I got my PEOPLE MIXED UP...I've got my thoughts to THIN mixed in with JOY'S...oh well everyone has a "brain fart" every now and then...SORRY GIRLS...

THIN.. PLEASE READ JOYS POST...you can pick out what I meant for you lol !

Off to do my mopping...FUN FUN FUN!!!

BOB
SW FLA
Closed Thread