Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: How many magazines do you subscribe to or buy on a monthly basis?
1 2 5.88%
2 8 23.53%
3 0 0%
4 8 23.53%
5 1 2.94%
6 3 8.82%
7 0 0%
8 0 0%
9 0 0%
10 or more 3 8.82%
None 9 26.47%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2002, 12:39 PM   #91  

Hi there everyone!

Congrats to all the great losers yesterday. And if you Didn’t lose then congrats anyway, just for the effort being made to do this WOE!

Melf, I’m glad to see you posting again. I was worried that I had scared you off when I met you in St. Augustine with Tranquil. LOL I don’t think I have mentioned this, however, it was meeting you that made up my mind about joining this Group. You were such a wonderful example of the kind and Caring people here. I thought if the others were like you, then this was something I wanted to be a part of also.

J red, the Left behind series sounds very interesting. Hasn’t there been at least one movie made that was based on it?

Marsh, hello and welcome to the board!

Quilt, WTG on getting your arse up and doing the one mile tape. I’m still waiting for the exercise bug to bite me. That will probably be after my doctor fusses at me about it next week. I sure enjoyed our chat last night too. I’d be skinny if I could lose weight from typing on the keyboard! How much Weight do you figure you want to lose?

I spoke with Tranquil and she is having another stressful day at work. She did say that she feels really good today and is starting to see a difference with her weight loss. The skirt she is wearing today is very loose on her. YIPPEE for you girlfriend!

Deb, I don’t know how you are able to get out in that heat to exercise. It is miserable in our part of Florida too. I don’t even want to get out in our pool as it is warm like bath water. That is wonderful news about Michael’s test scores. I know what ya mean about feeling clueless regarding the school related stuff. My older son graduated from a college preparatory magnet high school here. Every course he took was college level and I was of no help to him whatsoever. I let my DD go to public school last year, instead of continuing to homeschool as the subjects were getting too difficult for me. Only two weeks until our trip to visit. Can't wait!

Jack-k, good news about your computer being fixed. It will be great to see you on the chats. Tranquil and I have been talking about the idea of traveling to Chattanooga to meet Quilter, and anyone else that could make it to that area. Would you be interested too? I think it is wonderful that you lost 1 lb. At least the needle is going down and not up! I can’t wait to get under 200. I’m hoping to by the time I turn another year older in Sept. Guess that will be a new mini goal for me.

I just have to share that I feel like a prayer has been answered this week. The Stress at home has become almost unbearable with the ex-2-b still living here and telling me he would move out at his leisure. I had decided to take legal steps to have him put out of the house by the end of the week, however, he knew nothing of my plans. I was really dreading it as I knew it would be ugly. Well, he made the decision to go ahead and move out next week. I am so thankful and relieved that I didn’t have to take drastic measures to get him out. Today is my DD’s 14th birthday and I didn’t want an event like that to be what she remembered about her special day.

Take care everyone!
Wendy

Last edited by Serene; 07-18-2002 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-18-2002, 01:17 PM   #92  

Just a quick peek in as I have a little girl visiting us and can't have my back turned too long! Did my exercise this morning and am running around today to take the dog to the vet, the kids to the VBS this morning and doing some of that pastoral wife visitation thing! I am eating 100% SB on plan and I am one pound heavier this morning. Not good. But I will keep going. Maybe the body is just readjusting from Atkins, who knows

Oh, I also think someone sent me a virus!! I got a nasty email title from some unknown addy today and one from my yahoo account that I didn't send myself...so I know something is not right. Just deleted them so I hope nothing wretched happens..we shall see.
Old 07-18-2002, 04:46 PM   #93  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

jUST GETTING READY TO LEAVE FOR THE DAY. Got to go get my haircut. My favorite subcontractor brought me a box of SF pecan turtles. I ate one, gave them to another girl in the office and told her to put them away. (she is also a SB)

Rosalie, You are doing a good job at maintaining. How much more to you have to lose?

JRed, That the attitude to have. I'm some exercise will help you start losing. Good luck.

Beth, I was just thinking about you laSt night, wondering what had happened to you. Glad you are back. You are doing great. I don't think a slice of watermelon willhurt you. I can't figure out why we can't have it anyway, isn't it all water?? I don't like it anyway.

Tranquil, that is great news about your ex-2-b moving out. Scenes are not fun. About meeting in Chattanooga, I'm not much on traveling by myself. I'm horrible about directions. But maybe we could work something out. Birthday wishes to your DD. Hope it is a fun one.

Gracious, don't worry about that pound, it's probably hormonal anyway.It will be gone before you know it. Yuk about the virus. Hope it doesn't mess up anything.

Have a great nite everyone.

Jackie
Old 07-18-2002, 04:50 PM   #94  
Mel

Default Hi there all...

Just came dragging back from the gym, it's even hot in the air conditioned places, and my car is not one of those places right now. Unfortunatly the ac went on hubby's heap so he's driving mine which is not a heap! He spends far more time on high speed roads wearing "go to work" clothes, so it makes sense for us to switch. grrr.

Deb- Congrats to Michael on his scores! Amy skipped most of the intro level courses her freshman year: English, Calculus, Chemistry, Physics, History- which is great because with her sports schedule this will enable her to graduate on time unlike most other athletes playing division 1 sports. Depends where he goes to school what the policy is (and it varies from department to department)- some give credits, some just let the student place into a higher level course.

Kimmy- You must be disappearing! Do you really want to lose any more? Be careful you don't get too obsessed with watching the numbers go down and make sure you look and feel healthy. Take care of yourself.

Beth- My brother had an 89 supra like that and i loved to borrow it! It really is a fun car. I'm sure you look smashing (no, please not literally) in it!

Marshmellow- Once you kick the sugar completly, the craving really do go away. The only times I have cravings now (after 53 weeks) is when I cheat. Now I find myself craving things like an apple and cottage cheese, or brown rice with tomatoe and basil. Sick, eh?

Gotta go take a shower- it was a hard workout!

mel
175/136/135 (another vacation pound dissappeared!)
Old 07-18-2002, 05:48 PM   #95  

Hi again

Just back from a shopping trip and a visit to the hairdresser. Supposed to be going out to lawn bowling this evening but it looks like it may be raining soon so may not get there.

Jack-K - I would be quite happy if I could just lose another ten pounds, heck even five would do. But I seem to be stuck here forever. Have really lost nothing since last September. Funny though that I am still squeezing into smaller sizes. Maybe I am developing some muscle. .

Marshmellow - Welcome from another Canadian.

Regarding the WATERMELON question. There is a new list on Rick Mendosa's site that lists the Glycemic Load as well as the Glycemic Index. This takes into account the amount of carbs in each food, not just the glycemic index. There isn't much information though about the GL and the amount of carbs in the foods is not given, which I think would have been helpful. The GL of watermelon is quite low as there is only 8 grams of carbs in a 1 cup serving (according to another list I have). I personally cannot see any harm in eating it. When the testing for GI was done it was based on a serving of each food that contained 25 or 50 grams of carbohydrate. There is an article on the RECOMMENDED READING board that explains a bit more about the glycemic load. I think there may be some other foods that have been restricted on this woe that may be admissable if we consider the GL as well as the GI. Check out pineapple, that had quite a low GL. What do you all think about it?

http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

Marie.
Old 07-18-2002, 06:21 PM   #96  
Child of God

Default No need to worry Mel!

I honestly have not tried to lose since I hit 125. My first goal was 130, thinking 125 would be almost impossible.
I think what has happened is the fact that I am working out for the first time in like 15 years. The more muscle, the higher the metabolism...ect. I am not trying to lose one more ounce. I also tend to "run" a lot during the summer, and lose a little weight anyway. I feel better than I ever remember and actually think I look ok in the mirror. Now that is a first! It would be nice to stay under 120, like 118 +/-, but who knows. I just know for sure that I do not want to end up at 150 again. Besides, I have now bought new clothes and have no 10/12 left...all 1-4's.

Glad to see some of those vacation pounds melt away!
Old 07-18-2002, 07:06 PM   #97  

Gosh, I don't know when I will ever be able to catch up with the board, hopefully when employer goes out of town next week life will ease up. I have remained ever faithful to SBers and today someone came into my office and said that they thought my face looked so much thinner....well that made me feel really good. I just finished a salad....lately all I want is Field greens, tomato, red onion, some shredded rotissierie turkey breast, avacado, and a little caesar dressing all tossed up into this fabulous salad! I cannot get enough of it - I guess I will eat my way through this salad until I get tired of it - like I did the greek salads. My Gram is on her way over to do the WATP tape with me - we are doing the 2 mile walk - and I figured out I must be somekind of wimp - because I cannot finish the 2 mile tape! I hope it is just because I am so tired from work and the workout I get at the gym at lunch! Sorry I have not answered to anyone specifically - but I am mentally worn out - but glad to read your messages!! Melf - glad to see you again! Missed you!!!

Sabrina
Old 07-18-2002, 07:23 PM   #98  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

EVENING EVERY BUDDY!!!

Just passing thru and though I better say hello...One more day until my CHICK WEEK starts Haven't packed the panties yet, but that won't take very long....

OK...JUST CURIOUS....why Chattanooga????

BIG BROTHER TONIGHT AT 8PM....gotta go...haven't watched last nights show yet!!!

If you didn't check out the new show on BRAVO called BREAKING NEWS....catch it...it's really good!! Tonight 10pm

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS TO ALL}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

BOB
Old 07-18-2002, 07:35 PM   #99  

Hi all!!!

Just wanted to check in and say hello to everyone. I'm still OP today even though TOM is here full blast. The funny thing is that since I've been doing this WOE Tom just sneaks up and even when it's here I don't have the weight gain that I use to. It may be because I'm also drinking about a gallon of water everyday.All I know is that it is working. Enough about Me and TOM!!

Traquil- We must both be on the salad kick I eat a salad everyday for lunch with Boiled shrimp and sometimes for dinner to. No matter what I make for dinner I always eat a salad with it.

Gotta Run!!! Have a nice evening EVERYBODY!!!! Also welcome Marshmellow!!!
Old 07-18-2002, 08:58 PM   #100  

Hi Everyone,
I stayed OP today!! I feel better! I also excersised.

Off to watch Shallow Hal.

Have a great night!
Chris
Old 07-18-2002, 09:28 PM   #101  

Default Thursday night

Hello Everyone!

It’s getting kind of scary around here. We are about to take a part a drain pipe that runs from our kitchen and this could get really gross. Right now my station is upstairs. I’m in charge of water. Once Paul gets the drain open I have to turn on the water. Personally, I would rather stay up here for the entire event, but I don’t think that would be very fair on my part. Paul loves any excuse to use his walkie talkies. So we are communicating that way. I just like saying “roger” and 10-4, good buddy.

My eating has been really good again. I have quite a routine down. For lunch I’ve been eating cottage cheese (my all-time favorite food) and humus. I have triscuits (just a few) and some cut up veggies to eat with both. That really fills me up. Then I may have a fruit snack or something during the day. Supper’s are nothing exciting, usually a grilled burger (regular or chicken) on half a ww pita. Tonight with steamed cauliflower. I splurged and had the other half pita with some natural peanut butter. One thing I know is that I should not eat anything before bed. And I was doing that with regularity.

Well, plumbing 101 is over and we didn’t accomplish a thing. I’m not sure what’s so wonderful about those stupid snakes. I was not impressed. So I had to immediately jump into the shower and Paul’s getting his now. This means a call to the plumber. Hope he can come tomorrow, because we’ve got another deck party scheduled for Sunday night. Can’t have folks in for dinner without a kitchen sink.

DEB---You are really burning up the roadways down there. Pretty soon they will be sharging you for asphalt. Eli is home tomorrow. Yippee!!! Boy, I wonder if he suspects what he’s in for. Okay, I lost 3.5 this week. This was a VERY long week. This morning’s weigh in was showing the scale hovering over the 4 pound. But the needle is nervous. But I still am so thankful the hovering areas are gradually getting lower.

KIMMY---Sorry to hear that you sleep was avoiding you last night. Were you on IM??? Thanks for sharing the story about Jordon. What a special guy. The fact that he even cared enough to want to make the girl feel better is marvelous. But then he said the exact right thing. Must make you feel good to know your little man has so much going for him.

JACK-K---Glad to know that you will be with us in the evenings from here on in. Thank goodness it was only a keyboard. That’s easy to replace. Harddrives with all the data are another story.

ROSALIE---I am really surprised that you are not losing. You are one of our most active board members. I’ll bet your body is just adjusting itself to your previous losses and pretty soon the scale will start to show new losses. Isn’t that what a plateau is? when you wait for your body to catch up? Hang in there. As DEB and many of the others have said Something has to give sooner or later.

JRED---Good luck on the bike!!! How did it feel to get it moving again? Hey, I’ve had my share of disgusting green teas. The one I like the best is by Yogi brand and it’s green tea with triple echinacea. It’s very tasty and give you an even healthier boost. I find it at Wild Oats which is a hfs/natural/organic store. It’s a national chain, so perhaps you have one near you. One of my friends drinks the green tea that has some berry flavoring as well. She says the berries take out the tea taste. LOL

BETH---Great deal on the car! Good for you!!! I think this board helps us be better shoppers too. That’s our fearless leader rubbing off on us.

SERENE---I cannot believe how long we yakked last night. Were we chattie cathys or what??? But it was fun. I’m telling you, if I did that every night my house would be a mess. LOL. Oops, it already is!!! It was fun!!! Happy Birthday to little L. Hope she has a wonderful day! Was there going to be a party or anything? Are you staying away from the birthday cake???

GRACIOUS---Weigh again tomorrow. You may see a difference. Are you getting in the water???? Just hang in there. Besides after a good dookie houser session, you will probably see a difference. Hope you have something like Nortons anti-virus to protect your computer. Yes, it’s a yearly expense, but if you’re going to have a pc (as opposed to a mac) it would be wise to insure yourself with virus protection. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for you that there is no virus and no damage.

BOB---We came up with the Chattanooga thing at the chat on Tuesday night. TRANQ wants to stay at the choochoo. We figured it’s only 6+ hours for me and 8+ hours for the Jax girls. I’m wanting KIMMY to come along and we’ll pick up JACK-K on the way down. If you were in L’ville, we could pick you up too. I have no idea when this is going to happen. But be on the lookout for additional details. Everyone is welcome!!!

MERCY---Nobody likes a smart aleck!!! You have TOMs with no warning or body revolts???? I’m just teasing you. I think that’s great that you don’t get the gain or other stupid stuff that come along with it. Actually, I’m right smack dab in the middle of mine and the scale has stayed/gone down. I also know that when I take my calcium supplement, I have less pain and cramping with my periods. (Sorry, DARAMUS, I said the “p” word.)

Okay, I’m done for the night. I wish I had a good joke for tomorrow. I can never find anything like that. Oh well, I’ll be looking for all yours!!!

Good night!
Kim
Old 07-18-2002, 10:40 PM   #102  

I had another stressful day. I found out today my doctor has disappeared! He is no longer at the office he was seeing patients at, and they will not give any information on where he is. We leave tomorrow for vacation. I doubt I will be back on line for at least three weeks. I hope you all will not forget me while I am gone. Maybe I can post a loss when I get back. Wouldn't that be great?!

Do well, everyone! I look forward to hearing how great everyone is doing when I get back.
Old 07-18-2002, 11:25 PM   #103  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Evening!

Just a quickie, too pooped to post tonight. Can't believe all I have to do before ELI comes home tomorrow afternoon, where did the time go and how the heck did I waste all of it

Will try to repond tomorrow, but may not have time. If not, will catch up on Saturday as I don't know if I'll be on here later tomorrow.

Toodles

Deb
Old 07-18-2002, 11:40 PM   #104  

Monet - Have a great vacation. We sure won't forget you. Looking forward to seeing you back online again in a few weeks.

Quilter - Sorry to hear of your plumbing problems. Hope you can get them sorted out before your party on the weekend. You just reminded me that I had hummus in the fridge so I just went and had a snack of hummus and cauliflower. I know it's kind of late to be eating but I forgot about it earlier and I'll probably be up for a while yet and a gal can't go to bed hungry.

Deb - Where do you get the energy to get in all that walking in the Florida heat. And did I read that you had TWO walks yesterday.

Chris - WTG staying op to-day and getting in the exercise.

I was just reading an article about the importance of calcium in the diet and came across this list of calcium containing foods which I thought was worth posting. I believe it's the same article that was mentioned recently from the Reader's Digest. Here's the link to the article: http://www.mochasofa.ca/health/progr.../02july15a.asp

To get your recommended daily intake of calcium, choose the following sources:

•1 cup milk — 300 mg
•1 cup soy milk — 300 mg
• 3/4 cup yogurt — 300 mg
• 1 1/2 ounces cheese – 300 mg
• 3/4 cup almonds — 300 mg
• 1/2 tin of salmon, with bones — 300 mg
• 7 sardines, with bones — 300 mg
• 1 cup tofu with added calcium sulfate — 300 mg
• 1 1/2 cups kale — 300 mg
• 3 tbsp tahini — 150 mg
• 2 cups of chick peas or kidney beans — 150 mg
• 6 dried figs — 150 mg
• 1 cup ice cream — 150 mg
• 2 cups broccoli — 150 mg

FRIDAY FUNNIES - a little early but I may not have time in the morning.

Subject: only women will understand this.

This is a laugh for all those women out there who so look forward to that wonderful time once a year when they get to be "intimate" with their OB/GYN doctor!

In Sydney, Australia one of the radio stations pays money ($1000-$5000) for people to tell their most embarrassing stories. This one netted the winner $5000.

I was due later in the week for an appointment with the gynecologist.

Early one morning I received a call from the doctor's office to tell me that I had been rescheduled for early that morning at 9:30 a.m. I had only just packed everyone off to work and school, and it was already around 8:45 a.m.

The trip to his office took about 35 minutes, so I didn't have any time to spare. As most women do, I like to take a little extra effort over hygiene when making such visits, but this time I wasn't going to be able to make the full effort. So I rushed upstairs, threw off my dressing gown, wet the washcloth that was sitting next to the sink, and gave myself a quick wash in "that area" to make sure I was at least presentable. I threw the washcloth in the clothes basket, donned some clothes, hopped in the car and raced to my appointment. I was in the waiting room only a few minutes when I was called in.

Knowing the procedure, as I'm sure you do, I hopped up on the table, looked over at the other side of the room and pretended I was in Paris or some other place a million miles away. I was a little surprised when the doctor said,"My, we have made an extra effort this morning, haven't we?" but I didn't respond.

When the appointment was over, I heaved a sigh of relief and went home.

The rest of the day was normal - some shopping, cleaning, cooking, etc.

After school while my six-year-old daughter was playing, she called out from the bathroom, "Mum, where's my washcloth?"

I told her to get another one from the cupboard.

She replied "No, I need the one that was here by the sink. It had all my
glitter and sparkles in it."

Here's another:

Two little boys are in a hospital, lying on
stretchers next to each other, outside the operating
room. The first kid leans over and asks, What are
you in here for? The second kid says, I'm in here to
get my tonsils out and I'm a little nervous. The
first kid says, You've got nothing to worry about. I
had that done when I was four. They put you to sleep,
and when you wake up they give you lots of Jell-O and
ice cream. It's a breeze. The second kid then asks,
What are you here for? The first kid says, A
circumcision. And the second kid says, Whoa, I had
that done when I was born. Couldn't walk for a year!

Nite.

Marie.
Old 07-18-2002, 11:46 PM   #105  

Hi you'll! WOW, MIA for so long & then I get to post 2 days in a row? I just thought I'd say a quick hello & thank all of you for the welcome back. I may not address everyone because of time, but I know you will all understand.

Today was such a busy day that I grabbed a protein bar as I ran out the door for work this morning & didn't get a lunch break. I fixed me a fruit smoothy when I got home this afternoon & drank that as I fixed supper. I made an Eggplant & Mozzarella Bake with fresh eggplants, tomatoes, & bell peppers from the garden. It was sooooo good. This is the secong time I make it & dh & I just love it. Made a large pan full, so I'll freeze some in individual serving sizes for lunches to bring to work.

Kim, Thanks for the vote of confidence. You're right, I WILL get back below my goal weight because I have worked to hard to take this weight off. I can't let it come back & get out of hand.

Quivondra, You are so right. Loosing those few lbs make alot of difference in the way we feel, not only phsyically, but also mentally. That's why we need to continue the battle, for our own peace of mind. So to WAR it is!

Jack-K, Yes Mamm! Those capital letters did the trick! I'm back. Thanks, I needed to be yelled at! LOL

j Red & Music Teach, I bought the book the day it came out & usually DH & I fight over whose's going to read it first, but neither of us have had the chance to read even the first chapter of it. But as soon as VBS is over, I'm making it a priority!

Serene, Thanks, that was the sweetest thing to say! Almost made me cry. I really did enjoy our visit together that day in St. Augustine & I'm so glad that you decided to join the board. You & Tranquil have both done soooo well. I'm glad to hear that your soon to be X has made the decision on his own to go ahead & move out. You're a really thoughtful Mom to consider your DD's feelings, especially around her BD.

Tranquil, Sorry to hear that you're having a stressful week, but girl, you are doing soooo well with this WOE! I love your salad idea. Sounds delish.

Rosalie, Sorry to hear that you're still not loosing much, but hey, if you're getting into smaller sizes, then something is going right! Very interesting piece on the watermelon! Sounds like I may just have to indulge in some when I get back down below my 135. That's one of the things that I do miss. I love watermelon, but I have stayed away from it.

Debelli, Well, I think you'll have a VERY good excuse NOT to post tomorrow. Hope Eli's trip is a safe one. How long has he been gone? & where did he go??? I must have missed all of that while I was away from the board. And another question, Where is Frog??? Is the SB thing still on for Oct????

Well, it's way past my bedtime. What started out to be a quick hello ended up to be a long post it seems, but I've got a lot of catching up to do! Have really missed all of you gals & the encouragement that each of you serves up here. I'm hoping that the scale will be down again tomorrow. Giong to help my DS move into her newly remodeled house, so I may not get to check in till later during the week end. Nite all!

174/135/138
Closed Thread