Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: How many times have you gone on a diet and actually met your intended goal weight?
1 Time 11 28.95%
2 Times 10 26.32%
3 Times 1 2.63%
4 Times 0 0%
5 Times 0 0%
More than 5 Times 2 5.26%
Been on many diets, but NEVER made it to goal! 9 23.68%
This is my first diet ever! 5 13.16%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2002, 09:34 PM   #181  
Mel

Default Forgot about that picture!

I forgot I sent that picture to Deb, must have been in December sometime. Cleo's hair looks better than mine.

Deb- No, I didn't do the "in a bikini holding a newspaper" photo for BFL. Only bikinis in this house belong to dd and are size 2. That would have been a sight to break the camera lens What I did was even worse. My only matching bra and undies, Victoria Secret red!!!! Thank heavens I have a tripod and self timer on the camera and a lock on the bathroom door. You can be sure that picture is not headed your way!
mel
Old 03-02-2002, 10:24 PM   #182  

Default About DietPower...

DEB, and anyone else interested.... You can download a trial program of DietPower at DietPower.com. The program has a calculator that tracks your weight loss and intake and figures your metabolic rate. You put in what you eat each day, and any exercise you get, and it makes up graphs of protein, carbs and fats, and gives you a breakdown of the nutrients you have had. I find it very helpful to keep track of what I am eating. The only thing I don't like about it is the price. It was $50 for it but I did wait until they ran a sale and I got it for $35. I tried Fitday.com, and diet commander, but this one is much easier to use, and it has the metabolic calculator built in too. You can print out your daily totals, and it even gives the nice pie graph of carbs, protein, fats and alcohol calories with percentages.

I got rid of the huge cake...but we did sample a bit of the leftovers. It was incredible. Tomorrow all the sweets will be out of the house, and I can get back to staying on program. This is the first time I have had anything not on SB, so I guess I have done ok. I do feel better when I am not eating sugar, so I am going to hold on to that thought when faced with temptation tomorrow....
Old 03-02-2002, 11:10 PM   #183  

Hi,

I have been reading and enjoying the board for a little while now. I had occasion to email Debbie and she kindly
invited me to join all of you. I am a little nervous about getting around all the how to do things since I have never
joined an online group before. However, I have seen how helpful all of you have been in the past to others so, I
decided to take the step.

I have been on Sugar Busters since September 3rd of 2000. I had been told by my doctor that my cholesterol and
triglyceride levels were so high that I must do something immediately. She did not give me any direction but I
started investigating what causes these things to happen and found I had to lower my carbohydrates, fats and wine
intake. The first few days I was afraid to eat anything. I went to the bookstore and pulled several books down to
look through and one of them happened to be Sugar Busters. I was so excited to find this was just the guidance I
needed . I had been on Zocor for years and this medication kept my levels down but still in the high range. The
insurance company decided that I needed to switch to Lipitor, which I did. My levels started improving but my
hair started falling out. I discussed this with my doctor and we decided to go off all medication but I did not watch
my diet as she told me to do and this is when my levels went so high. She put me back on the Zocor and with
Sugar Busters, the blood test came back better than it had ever been. Because of my improved eating, my weight
started falling off and the doctor has been able to cut the dosage of Zocor in half. I lost 55 pounds by my first SB
anniversary and I have maintained that loss but I need to lose 10 more pounds ( at least).

Like Monet, I use a program called Diet Power to track my diet and exercise. I see that I need to cut back on the
fats and up the exercise. I will be very good about walking for a few days to a few weeks, then I slack off. Does
anyone have any helpful hints about getting and staying motivated that have worked for them?

I am really looking forward to being part of this great group.
Old 03-02-2002, 11:38 PM   #184  
Bustin' Buddy

WELCOME YELLOW! You've definately come to the right place! Everyone here is wonderful and very helpful! I wish I could answer your questions but I'm DEFINATELY NOT the one to talk to....I'm not the most dedicated - there are many well informed ladies here that will be happy to help you! I just pop in catch up on the scoop and hope to lose every now and then!! I just wanted to welcome you to a great group!

Night everyone!

Missy
284/272/170
Old 03-03-2002, 12:09 AM   #185  
sef

HiedieHo All!!!!

Had to take a nap this afternoon, not my usual practice but I snuggled under my afghan and went to dreamland a while!!

Today I really watched what I ate. Also did not use any Splenda. I've been using it exclusively the last month. I have been reading some of the posts about how it seems to affect weight. So we will see.

ROSALIE - I do not miss our hot, humid LA weather except when I look out at the pool. I swim almost daily in the summer but the water is just too cool now.

BOB - I guess you win the prize this week with all your great bargains. I love it when I can find bargains like that!!

YELLOWROSE - Welcome, you will definitely like it here! We are a sisterhood!

DEB - I always wore pantyhose! Every single day!! In my work I was on my feet a lot and needed the support. I noticed the difference in the tiredness of my legs when I didn't. I even wore them with shorts in the summer. I wore Just My Size Light Support. Since I've moved here I've had problems wearing them i.e. chafing, which I never had in the heat back home. I think it's due to the high humidity. I really miss them, altho the times I have worn them lately they do not chafe......I guess the weight loss helped.

I got a call from a HFS that tried to order Cucamonga Agave for me. The company said they were out of stock. She called me the other day to tell me she had called the company, they explained the reason for not being able to get it anymore. They will be coming out with a similiar product made out of chicory (sp?) of all things. She said they were sending her a sample and she would give it to me. Also said they were going to send her all the nutrient etc. info.

I thought it was very nice of her to call me, as I am not a regular customer and had only called in and said I would take a case of Agave if she could get it. I will let you know when I receive it. Okay gotta go, I've also been drinking buckets of water today!!! Take care! sef
Old 03-03-2002, 12:16 AM   #186  
sef

This is a test!
Old 03-03-2002, 08:33 AM   #187  

Good Morning!
I have a quick question: Is Durham Wheat Pasta ok? I'm thinking it's not but hopeing it is.
Thanks for the infor!
Old 03-03-2002, 08:44 AM   #188  

Hey-
I forgot to tell you one more thing. Remember that annoying person over on the other SB site that was peddling her sb cookies. Well before she became annoying I sent for a free sample. It arrived last week - 2 chocolate chip cookies. I have not opened them, thought I would save them for the Orlando meeting and we could all try them.
Ok- Bye
Old 03-03-2002, 09:20 AM   #189  
"I'm working on it!"

Default I'm still here

Morning! Looks like we're gonna get a storm. Really dark clouds. Last night it poured buckets

Haven't been able to get too much reading done from the boards. I hope everyone is keeping well.

I've been trying to stay OP but TOM hit with a vengence this week. I ate a Terry's Chocolate orange over 2 days. Bad Zanne. Otherwise, not doing too bad. Keeping up the exercise, so that's a good thing.

Last night we went trampolining with some other families! Holy smokes, that is a good workout! Supposedly 10 minutes of jumping on the trampoline is equal to 1/2 hour jogging. And it's difficult to get into. Until your body gets the idea of the bounciness of the trampoline, it feels like you're gonna fall with each step. (you have to walk to the middle of the trampoline to start jumping). We had a great time.

Then it was back to a friend's place for a potluck dinner. They were laughing at me as I sat with a big bowl in my lap and ate what was left of the greek salad (about 1/3 of the huge bowl); but it was good and better than me taking more bread or potatoes (I had small servings of those--first time in ages I've had white bread or potatoes.)

Well, I better go get DS something to eat. He was up early even tho he went to bed 6 hours later than usual! Gonna be a cranky bunch around here!

Take care everyone.
Old 03-03-2002, 10:28 AM   #190  
Undercover Diva

S/C/G: 242/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

Talking WAHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Well ... yesterday I headed to the mall to do some walking/browsing... and I still have half of the gift certificate to Lane Bryant that my dad got me for Christmas burning a hole in my wallet, so I went to see if they had anything new. They did, and I liked a few things, but they're putting out a whole new section tonight, so I'm waiting till Monday to go! Anyway... I stared and stared at some size 14 jeans... and finally decided to try them on... just as incentive... Incentive my rear, I BUTTONED EVERY BUTTON of those button-fly jeans and HAD BREATHING ROOM!!!!!!! Now the weird thing is, I got on the scale at my m-i-l's house and I'm only down 1/2 pound in 2 weeks, BUT, I'm mid-cycle so I'm guessing I'm probably down more than that and it won't show till TOM comes for a visit.

I must use the tape measure wrong, cause it shows the same thing as it did a month ago...LOL! I think I just vary the tension maybe? I don't know... I just know the jeans don't lie.. same style as the 16's I'm wearing now, and I buttoned them all the way up!

OK, I'm done..LOL... I just had to YAHOO somewhere.

DEB - I'm still having a hard time with getting my fiber and protein, without going OVER in fat I guess I just have to get used to finally using portions. I actually hit my calorie count for the last few days, but my carbs were a little low, and the fat a little high... I'll just work on 'tweaking' it though... at least it's a start!!

MEL - The shorts will be great!! Jeans might be a little hilarious, since I wear a 16 TALL at the moment..LOL!! I'm ALL LEGS. The girl I'm helping has very few clothes though, and she's a 14/16... so it might work out great!

OK, I'm off to make some eggs with cheese and get breakfast in the tummy before I resort to something not-so-good for me... everyone have a great Sunday!!
Old 03-03-2002, 10:42 AM   #191  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Good Morning Everyone

It's brutal out there today. The heat and humidity is awful. I feel so gyped as far as us getting cold weather this winter-it was next to nil. This H&H just wore me down today and I HATED my jogging session today-don't think I've ever felt that way before What to do? Complaining sure as heck doesn't help.

Have to get ready to take Michael to p/u his new glasses and look for some dress shoes-nothing like the last minute with him-he doesn't have nice shoes to wear tonight to the B/M party that fit him, so another unexpected expense to tack onto my ever mounting bills. Don't have much else planned today-planning on leaving the house for the party around 5 as it's about an hour drive for us. I'm sure it's going to be nice (they are expecting 200 people). I'm going to take my camera, maybe get some nice shots of the kids dressed up-a rarity!

Scale is back up today-sucks!

FRUIT, I never would of guessed your weren't a true blond from the pics I saw. Thanks for sharing the pics with the board

ROSALIE, the Outback down here now have what they call "call ahead seating" sorta like reservations, but once you get there you only have to wait maybe 15 minutes or less, rather than an hour if they're busy. Also, with the pantyhose, I'd rip them just trying to pull them up-oh, how I hate those things!!!!!

POOCH, there's a white wheat that's not as strong as regular wheat that if you can find it, maybe you will like using it better as well as liking the taste. KING ARTHUR makes it, so if you have that brand available, look for it. It's SB LEGAL. I haven't had pizza long before I started SB, like 2 1/2 years ago and I keep saying I'll make one, but never do-and I do know how to make pizza's really well-we use to own a pizzeria, sold it 2 1/2 years ago-hence, one of the reasons I haven't had any since then (plus SB 2 years being the main reason). You mentioned your bday is soon-are you on the BIO BOARD? Usually I know when bdays are rolling up on the board and I don't have you listed-when is it???

MEL, hey, at least you can go in to VS and buy something, AND wear it! I won't even step foot into a store like that-feel like everyone would be looking at me wondering who I was trying to fool by thinking I could even buy, much less fit, into something from there. Nooo, this body will never see a sexy anything-I'll stick to my 3X nighties!!!!

MONET, thanks for posting the info on the DIETPOWER program. I'll check it out, though I know for me I wouldn't order it-too cheap and since I have the WEIGHT COMMANDER PROGRAM and like journaling on paper, it wouldn't benefit me-but others may like it, so thanks for sharing!! I always say-whatever works for you, go for it!!!

YELLOWROSE, WELCOME TO THE BOARD!!!! So glad you've decided to finally jump in and take the plunge in joining us on the board. The other Texas gals will be happy to see their contingency growing, that's for sure!! You have done wonderfully on SB and it's good to see that you are keeping the weight off. I'm looking forward to you providing your insight and knowledge of SB that you've gained over the past year and a half. The gals are truly wonderful on this board and I'm sure you will feel right at home in no time at all. Thanks for posting your BIO on the BIO BOARD, it was nice to learn more about you Okay, hmmm, I think we'll have to shorten that to ROSE-don't think YELLOW sounds as good-do you mind?? I'm lazy-less typing! LOL!! Once again, WELCOME!!!

SEF, do you think you are overusing the Splenda?? I honestly don't trust it due to the maltodextrin, so rarely buy/use anything that has it in there and never use the packets for sweetening. I'm not surprised about the agave, I knew that Cucamonga had no more stock and whatever is still out there is very old anyhow. I've heard about the chicory and hope to get a sample of it to play with soon-will let you know if I do get and what I think of it.

HAPPY, the durum wheat pasta is fine, just try to cook it for shorter periods of time instead of longer, longer you cook it the higher the GI is on it. LOL! I'm bringing those SB COOKIES too for everyone to try and give opinions on-I didn't try them either-they don't appeal to me at all!

ZANNE, I wish I could get a trampoline. Knew a younger girl that lost loads of weight working out on one day after day-couldn't believe the transformation in her! I thought about getting a rebounder, but they are expensive and I'm not even sure if I'd actually use it.

BETH, WTG on those pants!!! I'm sure you're down more than you think and probably just retaining some water at this time-don't go by the scale, but how you feel. You may not have your eating down to a T, but that's not what's important, it's being aware of what you are eating that is. Fiber One, berries, beans are all good and low fat/ff sources of fiber-there's lots more, but these are some of my favorites that I eat to get enough.

Time for me to get something to eat and then hit the shower and go with Micahel, who now tells me he has a ton of homework!

Please remember tomorrow starts the new weekly board and it's MOTIVATIONAL MONDAY so if you have any words of wisdom, quotes, stories, etc. you'd like to share with the board, please, try to post them tomorrow.

Have a great day!

Debbie
194/121.5/129
SB since 3/22/00
Reached goal 6/10/01
Old 03-03-2002, 03:19 PM   #192  

Angry Sunday afternoon

Good afternoon!

Well, ended up running in that 5-K after all! Yes, it was raining, and cold and raw! Just like the weatherman said it would be. Wasn't raining when I got up and called my friend and committed to going with her. Once there and dressed, I just went for it. It felt good to be out on the road again. First road race for one of the girls and she was a bit surprised at the speed that many of the runners had. It has humbling to her to finish next to last; about 5 minutes in front of a very old man. I tried to reassure her that only the nut cases would pay to run on a day like that and that the WDW was NOTHING like this little rag tag event. Nonetheless, she took it pretty hard. We are joggers, runners, and that race was filled with sprinters!

She is coming over here in a few to give me a massage! Really looking forward to it. Haven't had on since before the marathon!

DEB - I DID find that great frogs link. Thanks bunches for sending it! You made me laugh at the thought of wanting to yank of those hose! But it also reminded me that many people struggle with wearing them because of their size. The description you gave of your own experience sounded awful. Glad you are free of that now.

BOB - I agree with you about the "Body Queen" on Survivor. She has got to go! Sounds like you got some great deals out shopping!

GRACIOUS - All of that Sorbee candy gives me the runs after only one or two tiny pieces. Did find some new Baskin-Robbin candy at Wal-Mart yesterday that is sweetened with Splenda.

SOL - The TB house oooh. I think I would have to call this place something but I don't know what yet. Just plain old nasty! A dog! That is terrific! Y'all are smart to go play with some. I am partial to labs, but I love 'em all. I take home a mongrel!

MEL - Our vet had a rinse for the dog's and cat's teeth that you can just squirt in. Maybe that would work for you? Dixie tolerates the brushing really well. But remember she is the dog that gets in the shower with us to have a bath! I haven't tried the cat yet. Vet said just to try to get her to lick the toothpaste off of my finger for starters, and that the paste was the really important part, even more than the brushing. Also, no need to brush the insides of the teeth, thank Heavens! Cleo's pic is beautiful! I took the bikini pics for BFL I took the end to the first 4 weeks pics today. DH says he sees change, I just don't see it fast enough to suit me. I do see improvements, just not bikini-worthy ones yet.

YELLOW ROSE - WELCOME!

BETH - WOOOO HOOOOO on the jeans! That is awesome! Now you can feel and see the progress! Way to go!

Time for my rub down. Have a great afternoon all! BTW - For those of you who enjoy Six Feet Under, a new series starts tonight on HBO!

Peace,
FROG
Old 03-03-2002, 05:39 PM   #193  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

Default OH...MY....GAWD!!!!

FROG !! You've got to go to DILLARDS and look at the spring line of BECHEMAL...(store brand) they have some tops with FROGS on them..I almost bought one for the gathering next weekend...that way you would be with us.

Oh...sorry.....AFTERNOON EVERY BUDDY!!!

Just got back from a short run to KMART that turned into almost four hours!! YEP...you got it BOB'S been shopping again today!!
FAMOUS BRAND SHOES is going out of one of our outlet malls and I got a pair of REBOK's half price...
WALMART just got in the new spring BOBBIE BROOKS line so I picked up a couple of blouses..

GOt a roast in the oven, green beans, and (dont tell Debbie) I've stuck a turnip in the juice to cook...

I'll check in later...

BOB
Old 03-03-2002, 06:25 PM   #194  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

CHECK THIS OUT....

www.bodypositive.com/images/Toothin2.gif
Old 03-03-2002, 06:37 PM   #195  
Child of God

Hello everyone! What a wacky Sunday it is! At some times during the day it was really blowing snow, others, nothing.

As far as my weight loss goes, TOM is over and I am down a total of 5 pounds since I left Atkins...making my total 14 with 4 to go for my first goal and 9 for my dream weight! I have been trying to walk a bit more. I hate to exercise but have been trying to do the treadmill for at least 20 minutes at a pretty fast pace.

As for Survivor...yes, Peter was weird, but probably stronger than some of the others. I always thought you should try to keep your team strong at first. I could do without Sarah, or Cleopattra. I personally like shawn, the black man. I tend to drift towards those who take Bibles as their extra item. I loved Rodger from Kentucky (second Survivor). As for who will win, no idea! I thought Richard would and really wanted Ethan to, but don't know yet. Hunter seems pretty strong and likeable.

Deb....
I know what you mean about hose!!!!!! I think i hate hose more than exercise!!!! If I have to wear them, they are off as I shut the car door. I try to avoid them at all costs! I have never been to a B/M, but my mom has and found it to be really interesting. Long though, sorta like a Catholic wedding with a mass, I guess. I just went to a reception and it was so long...looses the attention of so many after a while.

Have a good one!

Kimmy
Closed Thread