Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: Which statement below best describes what you would say about TG dinner?
I WILL stay OP 100% 4 18.18%
I'm PLANNING to stay OP 100% 4 18.18%
I'm GOING TO TRY to stay OP 100% 2 9.09%
I DOUBT I'm going to stay OP 100% 2 9.09%
I KNOW I'm NOT going to stay OP 100% 2 9.09%
I PLAN on having a little of everything I like, then go back OP next day. 6 27.27%
I THINK I will eat whatever I want and not worry about it. 0 0%
I have NO PLAN, I don't know how I will eat that day. 2 9.09%
I MAY go into a feeding frenzy and not stop! 0 0%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2001, 03:53 PM   #76  

ldblond-thanks for understanding! I guess i am just to much of a whiner! Stress is a killer! I am trying to get rid of it in my life but its not working!!! If anyone know how let us know!!!! Hope you get back up on the wagon too! Maybe we can get seats next to each other??? LOL! Good luck with the new tapes. I got in 3 days this week and going tomorrow weather permitting! I just love to excersise that is one way to get rid of the stress! Next week i hope to get all the excersise in with the holiday and so on!

Gotta go probably be back to post Monday! Hope you all have a great week end!

Rhonda
Old 11-16-2001, 05:29 PM   #77  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

QUICKIE...

Thought I'd post these PUMPKIN NUTRTIONAL FACTS:

Pumpkin Nutrition Facts

(1 cup cooked, boiled, drained, without salt)

Calories 49
Protein 2 grams
Carbohydrate 12 grams
Dietary Fiber 3 grams
Calcium 37 mg
Iron 1.4 mg
Magnesium 22 mg
Potassium 564 mg

Zinc 1 mg
Selenium .50 mg
Vitamin C 12 mg
Niacin 1 mg
Folate 21 mcg
Vitamin A 2650 IU
Vitamin E 3 mg
Old 11-16-2001, 08:19 PM   #78  

Deb - I hope this isn't too dumb a question but I was wondering what was meant by 'cooked bulgur' in the recipe you posted to-day. I buy my bulgur in a bulk food store and it states on the label that bulgur is cracked wheat that has been cooked (boiled I think). I was wondering if this would be the way to use it in the recipe or should it be soaked first like when you make tabouli. Thanks for the nutritioinal info on pumpkin. I had a piece of pumpkin loaf at work the other day and it was delish. I'm hoping to get a copy of the recipe so I can try it out.

Tree - I made your chana dal recipe to-day (one you posted yesterday) and it was yummy. I didn't have any garlic so fried up an onion instead. That was a good idea to put in pieces of fresh ginger - much better than the powdered stuff. I'll have to remember that for other recipes.

Frog - Way to go on the size 10 Levi's. Thanks for posting the excellent "Tips for Healthy Dieting." All good advice.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Marie.
Old 11-16-2001, 09:53 PM   #79  

Hello all (newbies and regulars)!

I haven't been too talkative lately. I have some work worries going on right now. Hopefully things will get better. And the cough I got in Florida came back! DH is sick too. It's hard to stay healthy when you're stressed out for long periods of time! I'm dosing up on the stress vitamins, and drinking Emergen-C (vit and mineral powdered drink). I can't wait till things calm down.

Rosalie - re: When you say 1 cup of coconut do you mean 1 cup of shredded?

Oops, I did use shredded coconut. When I made it I only had sweetened coconut. So I soaked it in water, then rinsed it several times in a colander, then nuked it to get rid of the excess water. The things we do to make recipes SB legal! I've been wondering about the other 'dals' out there. Does the moong taste the same as chana?

Here's the site I found most of the dal recipes --<http://www.bawarchi.com/contribution/daal.html>

I had an excellent dish at a place called Pita Jungle in Chandler. It had lentils, tuna, garlic, lemon juice, tomatoes, onions, all on top of lettuce, and sprinkled with feta cheese. Probably some other seasonings, but I couldn't figure those out. I'm not usually a lentil fan (too mushy) but this was really, really good!

Sef - Please take care of yourself. I'm surprised the SB diet hasn't helped with your reflux and all. I notice that I take antacids for really greasy foods more than spicy foods. Is your reflux stress-related?

Ldblond - oh thank you. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one not exercising. The rest of you put me to shame. I have yet to reach my 3x/week on the treadmill exercise plan.

Ok, I'm a little confused.
Why are we allowed to eat rye and sourdough? They're usually composed of white flour or a mix of flours right?

If TJ's, Barilla, and Sugarbuster's brand are ok pastas, are all 100% durum or semolina pasta ok? What about an enriched macaroni product that is still 100% durum or semolina pasta ?
Old 11-16-2001, 10:44 PM   #80  

Tree - Hope things settle down for you soon. Thanks for posting the website for the dal recipes. I have seen that one before but haven't checked it out lately. I like to make curry and when I am in an ambitious mood I go through quite a few of the Indian websites. Most of my chana dal recipes I got from Rick Mendosa's site. He has a web page just for chana dal: http://www.mendosa.com/chanadal.html. Have you tried the chana dal with pita bread? There's a recipe on the October board which I copied from Mendosa's site. I cook and drain the chana then put in pan with a little oil and some veggies and herbs and have it on pita bread with salad and a sprinkling of cheese. Yum.

Moong dal is a lot different to chana dal. It is a very small yellow split pea and it does go mushy when it is cooked. You can also buy the whole pea. The ones I have seen are green in color but I think there are different varieties. I tried a recipe once with the whole pea but didn't like it.

Sourdough bread is usually made with white flour and rye usually a mixture. The reason they are allowed is because the gi is quite low due to acidity. Any pasta made with durum semolina is o.k. although whole wheat is preferred. If you check out the FOOD INFORMATION BOARD there are articles on both sourdough bread and pasta. The article on PASTA, taken from Michel Montignac's book, was posted by Debbie in Nov/2000. I posted the article on SOURDOUGH BREAD and acidity of foods in Jan/2001. This article is taken from The Glucose Revolution.

Marie.
Old 11-17-2001, 09:43 AM   #81  

Default Saturday morning

Man have I had a busy end to my week. I went Thursday morning to look at another horse that I found on the internet. Well guess what I feel in love when I got there. I know what you all are saying .....I fall in love too easy. But she is most gentle horse I have ever been around. We call her Dixie and I hope to include a pic of her soon. The one I have is too big to post. DD and I go to a stable today for some brush up riding lessons for me and new lessons for her. It should be such fun. I have already ridden Dixie and she is smooth ride. She is 5 yrs old and anyone can ride so come one come all and I will saddle her and let you go.

I have had a cold and sore throat for two days now. I am hoping to get it under control before we leave for camping next week. Yes we are camping for Thanksgiving. Very untraditional I know but hey that is us. Drives my MIL crazy .....one reason I like it so much. LOL I am bad sorry!!!! We will be eating holiday lunch at the lodge in the park so I will try to stay as close to legal as possible. I know they have a wonderful salad bar.

I have to clean house clean or bulldoze is more like it so I must run.

Hello to all....I will post more later hopefully.

Debbie
Old 11-17-2001, 10:29 AM   #82  

Angry Saturday AM Post

Good Saturday Morning

I'm trying to get hydrated for my 10 miler today. Thought I would respond to y'all while I drink my H2O.

The problem with the booty is remarkably better. Hope that I don't have THAT problem again any time soon.

I keep saying that I should write a book called "The Girlfriend's Guide to the Marathon" because we (women) have problems that no one wants to put in print, but I surely would! For instance, that on longer runs (defined as ~15 miles and up), your pubic hair may get tied in knots, therefore a "haircut" may be necessary. As you can see this is a sensitive subject, but woulnd't you like to know this? Trust me, there are far more things that female runners put up with. Like running on your period vs. when you are ovulating. The run during your period will be "easier" than when you are ovulating. The increase in body temp will cause you to perceive that your effort is greater. That fact is not an original, but I have certainly noticed it over the past 2 marathons' training years. My other female runner friends have noticed it too.

Would like to continue with some craft projects that I have been working on. I've been etching patterns on glass, sooo easy and would like to come up with an idea for some white placemats I have. Want to stamp or paint or sew. Something. Any ideas?

Went to get my haircut yesterday and my hair stylist offered to brighten up the color from my last visit because it had faded. SHe didn't charge me for it. It is a bit too red this morning. But I know that it will fade pretty rapidly.

DEB - No package from you yet. I didn't know it when I typed it yesterday, but we did have Anthrax detected in the Raleigh mail center. I don't know how long ago that happened, but perhaps this is the source of the hold up? I'm not sure if they are just now releasing this info or if it just happened. How is your running going? I LOVE that you have found that sometimes it's easier to keep running than to stop and walk. That may lead to more running! Did you ever hear from the agave syrup people? Did I miss something in a post? That would be so like me to do that too. Your recipes sounded great! Lindsay was voted off on Survivor. The young punks are going down! They did cast some votes for Tom, the goat farmer, but it was a deadlock and since Lindsay had the most (total from all councils) votes against her, she had to go.

TREE - Hope your worries end soon.

BUSDEB - Horses! I them. Dixie is my dogs name! Love the smell of the stable, sweet hay, manure, sweaty saddle leather, horse fur. Mmmm. Things that only true horse lovers can admire. I miss the barn and riding. Need to find the money and time for lessons (English) again. Hope you had fun at your lessons. Send pics!

RHROO - Hey! Nice to see you back on the board!

Well, time to get my running togs on and get my mindset in place. This one want be so bad, it's next week I'm already dreading! Wish me luck!

More later!

Peace,
FROG
Old 11-17-2001, 02:05 PM   #83  

Thumbs down Where is Everyone Today?

Back from run. Time to eat and hop in the shower. Gonna run to Wal-Mart for a few items.

Did 10 miles in 2:10, that's about a 13 minute mile pace. A little slower than my pace last Saturday (12.73 minute miles average) but I'm not all that surprised. Ovulation and new orthotics today could be at play. I've noticed that first 3-4 miles are some of the hardest. Don't think I'm stretching effectively. Time to get back into Yoga!

Hope all have a great day.

Later,
Peace,
Frog

P.S. DEB - no package today. Did you send it U.S. Mail or UPS?
Old 11-17-2001, 03:30 PM   #84  
Mel

Default Saturday

Another beautiful, dry sunny day here. Went for a five mile run, time was good, but every muscle is screaming from adding more weight and different lifts on Thursday night. Just finished raking the backyard for my cooldown, now it's time to pass out for the rest of the day.

Frog- I've noticed a lot of those female running problems even doing shorter runs. Even tried running without underwear a couple of times thinking that was part of the problem, but it was just as bad, except no elastic twist-ups I always thought how embarassed I'd be if something happened to me Then there's the hydration problem- too much, and you're knocking on doors asking to visit the pottie or looking for a patch of really thick woods!

Tree- Hope things get better soon, and your cold. No fun starting the holidays that way.

BusDeb- Another horse!?!?! Are you starting a dude ranch? You must really love those animals or have really helpful kids. I can't imagine the time it takes to take care of all those extra critters. What do you do when you go off camping? I can see taking the dogs, but the horses are a bit of a stretch

Deb- Can you post the Sweet Peanut Clusters or do we need to go buy a new bottle of agave nectar to get the recipe? They sound really good. I could use a legal treat right about now.

TV- How are you doing? Are things getting better?

OK- now for the piss and moan. I'm gaining weight! I eat about 1300-1400 calories/day, never more than 2 starchy carbs, red wine maybe 2X per week and exercise like crazy. I've not gone off plan since the chinese food experience at the end of October! I just can't understand it, and am so annoyed every morning when I weigh myself. I drink so much water that I'm in danger of drowning internally. I think i'm doing everything right, but the scale says NO! Any suggestions?

mel
Old 11-17-2001, 06:20 PM   #85  

Hey all! This has been one busy week. I've just spent some time trying to catch up on the board. I took my 3rd graders to UIL competition Tuesday and have been practicing with several groups for Christmas programs, so I've been pretty stressed and busy.
Dennis and the two older ones went to a trades day to try and sell some junk, I mean treasures , with his brother. Maggie and I went over and met them for lunch. We ended up eating burgers AND onion rings and now I feel like I'm in a fog. The times that I have cheated and had sweets didn't effect me like this. I think the bready stuff bothers me more.
Hope everyone has a great weekend-what's left of it. Hope to be able to keep up with everyone better next week.
Old 11-17-2001, 07:36 PM   #86  

Smile Alabama beats Auburn!!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!!!
Old 11-17-2001, 07:56 PM   #87  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

EVENING EVERYBUDDY!!!

Thought I had better check in before the "DUNGEON MASTER
gets the whips and chains out...They are long enough to reach into Sarasota County, and I have to be careful, because she LOVES TO JERK THAT CHAIN!!

FROG Your package is strapped toa real SNAIL and will be delivered to your home sometime next Spring!!
Glad you're back into the swing of things with your running. Way to go with those LEVI'S...I know that felt good..How's the haircut?

DEB I got a LOVE LETTER from my SWEETIE ..I sent him a reply, so make sure he looks at it.
Sounds like the cooking is taking over your kitchen...Guess I better brush up on my baking before I come over..
MY DOCTOR IS PRO SUGAR BUSTERS!!!! So, I have NO EXCUSE NOW and have to go back to see her in two months. Guess it's time to pull out the ole book and do some rereading

OK GALS..NOT TRYING TO IGNORE ANYONE, BUT I'VE GOT TO GO...GATOR'S BALLGAME COMES ON IN JUST A FEW MINUTES...

SUSAN....SORRY ABOUT THE LOSS... TENNESSEE STRUGGLED TOO AND PULLED IT OUT IN THE LAST FEW TO WIN BY ONLY THREE!! YOU'VE GOT TO BEAT MISSY'S TEAM AND GO TO THE PLAYOFFS...AND HOPEFULLY BEAT FLA AGAIN!!!!

BOB
Old 11-17-2001, 07:58 PM   #88  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Hey All

Hope you are all enjoying your weekend thus far. Garage sale day wasn't too bad, Michael did really well. He lost his graphing calculator he needs for school (paid $98 for the darn thing) and asked for a new one for Chanukah-I found a model down from the one he needed, does most everything the other one does and will be functional for him 90% of the time (other times, he'll have to borrow someone elses), anyhow, that was a STEAL for $1. Works beautifully. He also got a weight bar with the weights you can add on for $5 and a RCA REMOTE HEADPHONES so he can listen to his music and not bother with the cord for $3. I bought a FULL SIZE AEROBED, needs a new cap to keep the air in and have to patch a small hole, but for $1, I took the risk and bought it. Got my sister a brand new diaper bag for baby #5 for $1 (still has tags on it) and 93 diapers for $2. A few other odds and ends, but not much. There were so many out there today, didn't have time (or the desire after a while) to go to them all.

I was happy to see the scale down ANOTHER pound to 121 this morning-so only up 1lb from my low of 120. I felt barfy and tired last night and hit the hay before 10pm (but woke up very early due to sleeping too much, which I hate). I knew the scale would be good, usually is when I feel like that. Hoping for more good news tomorrow-guess we'll wait and see.

I sent the gal from the agave company 2 letters. Since she too is on AOL I am able to see that they were indeed read and when, but no response to either of them yet. She told me they had a deadline and I was ready to send all 4 recipes to her and asked her to let me know and no response, so of course, I'm wondering what the heck is going on. I'm going to wait and if I don't hear from her by Tues, I'll ask her if she's still interested. Easy come, easy go!

Tomorrow is my Grandfather's b.day party, he turned 85. Not sure what my Grandmother is serving, as long as she doens't make the food, we'll be fine. Personally, I'm hoping Eli and I will get to hit Ole Ole before we go there and eat some decent food. PLUS, they called me from the Carbolite place to tell me they have COCONUT CARBOLITE, so I'm hoping to get there (it's an hour drive-I know, I'm nuts!). Kids are going to the DOLPHINS vs JETS game tomorro with their Dad and will meet us later at the party, so we will have the majority of the day free, at least until about 3:30pm.

Got 2 more recipes posted, though I've not made either one, so can't vouch for how they'd taste, or come out.

ROSALIE, yep, you still have to "cook" the bulgur, or soak it

TREE, hope these work worries don't stress you out! And, I hope this cough of yours leaves soon-not the kind of souvenir you needed to bring back from the Sunshine State! I belibe DURUM WHEAT is fine, but semolina, if I remember correctly is more refined-will have to check that out and get back with you-if I don't say anything in a few days, so remind me, my mind tends to get sidetracked most days at my age! LOL!! But ultimately, I think WW pasta is your best overall bet.

FROG, please tell BELINDA I said Happy Birthday! I can't believe you didn't get the envelope yet-but then again, I sent AVIS 4 cookies about 1 1/2 weeks ago and she never got those either. Wonder what's going on with the PO (how it was sent). It's not like I didn't put the correct postage or my return address on it! This is getting me peeved! Why DON'T you write that book, I bet it would be a best seller. Hmmm, would it be a comedy or non-fiction?!? LOL!! I definitely couldn't of lived another day not knowing the pubic hair in knots fact-this is something I had never heard of- geez, I tend to learn something new each and every day! Hmmm, placemat ideas, I tend to go for things with maybe gold swirls and #'s on them, possibly. Odder the better for me! I like abstracts. See above regarding agave lady. How in the heck did I possibly walk/jog 4.5 miles in 47:27? It just doesn't seem possible when I look at your times-there's no way I could be making that time!

BUSDEB, you are too funny with the horses! Do people get upset with you when you tell them you decided otherwise, or is this expected when shopping for a horse? So did you definitely settle and buy Dixie? Hope you feel better soon-seems many on the board are sick lately. Your untraditional Thanksgiving sounds wonderful to me!!!

MEL, can't post those recipes just yet, but if I don't hear from her in a timely matter, you can bet I will My sister tasted the BBQ SAUCE I made and loved it-it is a winner, so I think! You say you are gaining weight-what's your weight been over the last 4 weeks-can you e-mail me or post it and I'll take a look at it and maybe be able to provide some insight? I can tell you that I can go up 4-5lbs over a week or two, as I did over the last 2 weeks, but if you read my posts, you will also see where I come back down (as I have been for the last few days, thankgoodness!).

MUSIC, glad to see you checking in with all that's keeping you busy Have a great weekend. Hope the kids made lots of money selling their "treasures."

Well, I'm going to make something for dinner, since I'm home alone (Eli's at work, kids are with their Dad) I'll keep it simple and make a chicken salad sandwich (love them). I'll get back on her later hopefully, though I may try to get in the kitchen to clean and then mess it up by baking something new! If not, tomorrow morning, after my walk.

Hey, you SEC FANS can you deny the CANES are doing great?!? They pulvarized SYRACUSE today!!!!

Toodles

Debbie
194/121/129
SB since 3/22/00
Reached goal 6/10/01
Old 11-17-2001, 08:04 PM   #89  
sef

HiHo all!!

Have been taking it easy. Did go out this a.m. to get a refund n my prescription and to buy the TG turkey. Ds would not let me go alone, did not want me lifting and carrying! As I said I do have a good caring family!

I was concernedover the charge for meds. Called insurance company, the lady there called their pharmaceutical division and there was no record of any recent purchase so she called the drug store. Come to find out they charged it to my old insurance company, in spite of the fact they had all the new info and were told the old was no longer in effect.

When I went for refund, there was a note that said overcharged because customer did not inform them which insurance to use. I told her that they were told, I had bought meds since that time and there was no problem. If they din't take old out of computer that is their fault. If I had been up to form I would have argued more but she was adamant and I thought the h-ll with it. Give me my $66 and I'll go. She said she has now removed the old insurance, she says!

My shoulder is better but stomach still touchy.

TV - Thanks for missing me. Take my advice, listen to your body and don't ignore things. Family and friends do notice things before we do!

DEB - Puhlease! Do you know how often I've heard "Shirley (surely) you jest" etc. One young man at work loved to tease me and tried to think up everything he could, he was really nice and it was truly in fun! Then one day I told him if he did it again he would sing soprano! For quite a while after he would pass me and do some notes in a falsetto!

Believe me, I bless my choir friends that day. And you're right I probably would not have gone to ER without their insistence. It's the old saying, "Don't do as I do, do as I say." I would have insisted if the roles were reversed.

ROSALIE - The doctor said Celebrex was probably one of the safest meds, but has taken me off it for 2 weeks until next appointment the 29th.

FROG - Thanx for reassurance about Protonix. I hope it works.

I didn't realize that female runners have such intimate problems. Do you think the men shave too? After all they have pubic hair? Curious minds wonder!

RHROO - I don't think we really have a lot of control over our stress. We can try to eliminate the cause, but often there is stress and anxiety without any outward cause. You're not whining, you're stating a fact. There are worries right now and they bother you. Seems to me that's fairly normal.

TREE - Hope the work worries resolve themselves (see Stress above). Coughs have a way of lingering, going away and coming back too. Hope you and dh will be feeling fit gain soon. I didn't even know I had reflux, I never had that sour or burning sensation in the throat or mouth. Apparently it doesn't always manifest itself that way. I also don't think I have stress, especially since turning 65 and being eligible for new insurance. I have a little more money now, which is a relief.

BUS - Love you're talk of horses. Frog missed mentioning the delight of getting up in the wee hours to mucj out stalls, I used to enjoy that part too! Your TG is traditional.........to you, it doesn't have to meet others standards! Start gargling for that throat!

Think I've sort of caught up. I can't go back to the ones I missed past week.

I am grateful for you all and for your concern.

Take care. Shirley
Old 11-17-2001, 10:53 PM   #90  

Default Saturday evening

Hello all,
I am so tired ....I have fogotten how many muscles you use riding horses. I may not be able to walk tomorrow. LOL I think I may need to get a better bra for riding. LOL Guess I didn't explain quite right in the last post. I brought Dixie home with me that day and I am still getting Cami when we get back from our trip. I want at least two horse so they can keep each other company.

Deb......why am I so funny with my horse stories? I made the Carob Pecan squares for the family reunion tomorrow. I tried one and they are wonderful. I hope they like them tomorrow so I don't have to bring a bunch of them home.

Frog...come on down and ride Dixie ...you would love her. I am also like you ....I love the barn smell...when we first moved in here our barn didn't have that glorious smell but then we got Lucy and Ethyl and one I went out there with my Dad and I said ....do you smell that? He said what? I said that barn smell...mmmmmm isn't it wonderful....he thinks I am nuts too.

Mel ......my mom and Dad live right here next to us so he will look after all the animals for me but I will really miss them.

Gotta go get the kiddies in the bed.....cya all later.

Bye,
Debbie
Closed Thread