Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: If we came to visit you at home, what animals would we find? Check all that apply
Dog(s) 21 53.85%
Cat(s) 21 53.85%
Fish 9 23.08%
Hamsters/Gerbils/Mice/Ferret (other rodents) 2 5.13%
Farm Animals-Cows/Pig/Sheep, etc 1 2.56%
Horse(s) 1 2.56%
Bird(s) 1 2.56%
Snake/Turtle/Lizard (other reptiles) 2 5.13%
Rabbit(s) 1 2.56%
Other (kids and roaches don't count) 1 2.56%
No animals at all 3 7.69%
Are you SURE kids don't count? How about a spouse? Mine can act like animals! 9 23.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2002, 11:28 PM   #1  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Post Sugar Busters Weekly Support Board 8/12-8/18

This is the
SUGAR BUSTERS WEEKLY SUPPORT BOARD
where all of you who are following this WOE, or are thinking about doing so, are welcome to come join in and be a part of our wonderful group.

Other than finding support and friendship on this board, we also try to do something during the the week to add a little difference to our board.

MONDAY-MOTIVIATIONAL MONDAY
TUESDAY-TUESDAYS TIPS & FACTS & CHAT AT 9:15PM EST
WEDNESDAY-WEIGH-IN WEDNESDAY
THURSDAY-THURSDAY RECIPE DAY
FRIDAY-FRIDAY FUNNIES

Please take some time to check out our extensive recipe boards. Our RECIPE BOARDS can be located at the link below:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/foru...php?forumid=89

We have SEVEN INFORMATIVE BOARDS!!!! Please take a few minutes to visit them! New information is continually being posted, so please make sure you visit them often!!! The boards are listed below as well as the link that will take you to the boards:

THE RECOMMENDED READING BOARD
THE TOOLS & TIPS BOARD
THE FOOD INFORMATION BOARD
MOTIVATIONAL & INSPIRING THOUGHTS BOARD
MY FAVORITE SB LEGAL FOODS
SB 2002 BIO BOARD
SB 2001/2002 PHOTO ALBUM BOARD

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/foru...php?forumid=87

We also have a SB WEEKLY EXERCISE BOARD that you can log your daily/weekly exercises on which is located on our weekly support board:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...threadid=19031

Then there's our latest addition to the SB BOARDS which is called OFF THE EATEN PATH This board is for everything NOT related to SB. You can use this board to post questions or comments on just about anything (okay, within reason). A book you recommend, a cleaning tip, a great website deal, etc. etc. Here's the link:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/foru...php?forumid=90

NEWBIES! (aka new members) If you would like to REPLY to any of our threads, please hit POST REPLY not NEW THREAD, then type your message in and hit SUBMIT REPLY. If you need to edit your reply, just click on edit located in the body of your post and make changes as you need to, then hit SUBMIT NOW.

WELCOME!

Old 08-11-2002, 11:36 PM   #2  

GOOD MONDAY MORNING EVERYONE!

Will post my usual morning post sometime later, but wanted to make sure I got our
MOTIVATIONAL MONDAY
done early in the morning, so here's my contribution for MM, the third one is a bit more personal with all that's been going on with me lately:

YOUR NEEDS

A very effective way to achieve whatever you desire is to detach yourself from the need for it. When you're focused on the need, you're focused on the negative, limiting fact that you don't have it. So let go of the need and you'll be taking the first step toward making it happen. Transform it from a need into a choice and you'll begin to make it a reality.

Change what you need to do into what you will do, or better yet, into what you are doing. It can make an enormous positive difference in your attitude, your approach, your expectations and your results.

Contrast a person who says "I need to lose some weight" with someone who says "I've started working out every morning to get my weight under control." Which one do you think will actually lose weight?

When you need something, by very definition, you don't have it. So stop needing it, let go of that need, and start to make it really happen.

-- Ralph Marston

GO FOR THE BEST

It is nearly impossible to remain discouraged for long when your goal is compelling enough. If you're discouraged, the answer is not to scale back your dreams, but rather to expand them to the point where you cannot help but be pushed forward by them.

The challenges, the obstacles, the difficulties are going to be there, no matter where you're headed. So you might as well be headed toward where you truly want to go. You won't always be able to control which challenges come your way, yet you can control what rewards are on the other side of those challenges. Make those goals, those dreams so big and so meaningful that the challenges will seem trivial by comparison.

Your expectations will determine your attitude, and your attitude will determine your actions. Your actions, in turn, will determine the results you achieve.

Your future is yours to create, regardless of what has happened in the past. Imagine the best, expect the best and you'll know that you have what it takes to get there.

-- Ralph Marston

NOTHING AT ALL

Sometimes, one of the most energizing things you can do is to do nothing at all. Take a break from all your going and doing, and allow yourself some time to simply be.

Life becomes overly hectic and stressful when you assume that every moment must be filled with some kind of activity. Some moments are best filled with peace, and quiet, and genuine relaxation.

Certainly it is good to have plenty of effort and activity in your life. And it is also good when you regularly take time to enjoy the simple, unpretentious, yet incredibly wonderful experience of being alive, of being you.

Give yourself time to absorb and process all that is happening by spending some time where nothing is happening. Be gloriously bored, with nothing to do, nothing to entertain you, no expectations, and every possibility for profound peacefulness.

The moments you spend away from the complexities and pressures of life are not wasted. They'll energize you, revive you, and help you face those pressures and complexities with renewed vigor.

-- Ralph Marston

Have a wonderful day, and a fabulous week!!!!!

Debbie
194/12?/129
SB since 3/22/00
Reached goal 6/10/01
Old 08-12-2002, 09:21 AM   #3  

Thumbs down

Good Morning everybody,

I am back! We have had a busy summer and after a few months of rationalizing reasons for eating the wrong things I am back on track. I did gain back 6 pounds since February(when i stopped losing) but a trip to the Dr. a few weeks ago did not show too much damage. I go back in 3 months and I am determined to show a loss. My cholesterol and triglycerides are the lowest they have ever been, but have not been able to taper my insulin recently. My sugars are staying pretty good but not low enough to adjust my dose. Boy, do I wish I could get off the insulin!

I am having a nice quiet day at home today, just me and the dog. My 10 year old is back in school as of last Thursday and my son Jeff is back to college for football camp before classes start. We went to Orlando for Media Day, they raise the UCF flags at the Citrus Bowl, the guys pose for photos and give autographs. It was cute watching all the young kids asking my son for his autograph, ooh a taste of being a celebrity. He still having some problems with his knee after his surgery in April and will be on the injury list for another 2 months. Hopefully he will be back on the field by November when they have a game in Ohio so I can see Quilter again!

Hope everyone has a great motivating week! (and lots of pounds lost!)

Chris
Old 08-12-2002, 09:29 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 285/210/130

Height: 5'1

I was trying to really think about what keeps me motivated to stay with this plan.
Yes I've lost some weight. But I'm not losing every day. So I was sitting here wondering what keeps me from scarfing off the kids plates when they have cheese fries?
What's keeping me from having my coffee without "regular" sugar? Something I've never been able to do. Ever.

Its a combination of things. This board is a major factor. I read it all the time. I see people sticking with this plan long term. I see people coming back to this plan because they realize they felt crappy when they went off it.

I feel great!
No more stomach problems, or major tiredness.
My clothes are comfortable. I look better. I feel better about myself because I know I'm doing something wonderful for my body.
I'm also setting a better example for my kids. I'm teaching them a better way of eating.
They are not as strict as I am but they are more aware of the better choices for eating.

This plan works!

Question:
I picked up this book called:
The Sugar Addict's Total Recovery Program - A how-to manual to give you practical advice and strategies for implementing a program to heal your body and your sugar addiction.
By Kathleen DesMaisons Ph.D.

I've read about 5 chapters and haven't really got to the information part yet. Her deal is to get the person off sugar slowly.
The thing that is weird is she talks about eating a potato every night before bed.
I haven't got to the why part yet but was wondering if anyone has read the book and what they thought of it.
She did say they Sugar Busters was a good plan but unrealistic for people to go cold turkey from sugar.
Cheryl

Last edited by cherylco; 08-12-2002 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-12-2002, 09:33 AM   #5  

Mornin' y'all. I'm finally posting this week I spent part of last week with my mom, so I've been out of touch and very off plan. My mom is doing good. She feels great and has decided against continuing with the chemo. I don't know if that's the right decision or not, but we've left it up to her and she's happy with it. My eating was horrible while I was there. I don't even want to get near the scales. But back on track today. I start back to school for inservice tomorrow and the kids start back the 19th, so I'll have a routine to get back in to and maybe that will help.

I haven't had time to check out last week's posts, but I'll try to do that sometime today. Hope everybody has a great week.
Old 08-12-2002, 09:34 AM   #6  

Good Monday Morning Y'all!

Hubby and DD are due back this evening around dinner time. I have enjoyed not having to cook much but look forward to their return. I am rounding up the boys and we are going to get this place back in order so it doesn't look like all we did was play..which is basically what happened!

Our new lil puppy girl is doing very well. Housetraining her has been a dream instead of the usual nightmare. We are really enjoying her as the latest addition to this wiley crew.

We are expecting houseguests for this upcoming weekend so I will try to be creative with my cooking....that is something new for me. I am one of those women that pretty much cook the same kind of things all the time in a rotation.

It was very hot here yesterday and we are due for heat all week long. Looks like 94 or higher all week long for us and that is very hot for these parts of the woods. But on the positive side, that always helps me to drink more water!

Have a great SB week everyone.
Old 08-12-2002, 09:43 AM   #7  

Wow..three peeps posting at the same time!

CHERYLCO- I don't know anything about the potato eating every night but I don't see a big problem with going cold turkey from sugar. I did when I first started Atkins, before I made the shift to SB. I got a wretched head ache a few days into it but once that passed I was fine. I guess it all depends on how much sugar one is consuming before switching to SB. My biggest adjustment was the starches, not the sugars. Seems to me, it is better to get our taste for sugar out of us as quick as we can...then we move onto better eating and our bodies don't get mixed messages.

DEBELLI-About that voting in the polls thing. I hadn't been able to vote for weeks now but I emptied my temp. internet files yesterday and got rid of all my cookies. When I signed back in here and came to try and vote it worked! So maybe some people just need to clean up things on their computer and it will work for them too. Hope you get your modem sorted out soon.

MUSICTEACH-Your Mom made a difficult decision for her and the rest of the family. I know you are a Believer and I am hoping your Mom is too. {{hugs}}

BKM-Good to see you back on the wagon with the rest of us. Wonderful that the damage done was not too bad. Things can only get better when we eat properly. Look at how good your blood results are now, imagine what they can be!

Okay, Okay..I gotta go!
Old 08-12-2002, 10:06 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Happy Monday Gang!

It was a lazy weekend at my house. Going to be a hot week too. In the 90's.

Boy is it great to get back in routine. After returning from vacation last Monday, i did nothing for the whole week. I was totally exhausted and a little under the weather. But today up at 5:15, Did my 2 mile walk/jog and 15 minute workout. It felt sooo good. I obviously need the routine of it all. Plus my body was feeling squishy.

Fillise, I'm certain you will do fine today on your eating. You are already planning ahead and that is important. Have a great day.

BKM, It is so nice to hear from you again. We have missed you. Hope your DS's knee heals before football season. He has had a time with it. Jump back on that wagon, Bob will be driving (as usual with Rocky Top blaring) and I bet you can get off the insulin. You have done great if you only gained 6 pounds since Feb. I gained 4 just on a 4 day vacation and didn't eat anything I shouldn't have. Except I did drink alot of pina coladas. Go figure.

Cherylco. Loved your reasoning for doing SB. I second all of them. I really like myself now. Enjoy buying clothes even. Never read the book you refer to but it sounds interesting. I never had any trouble getting off sugar right away. I can't think baked potatoes could be that bad for you. Hopefully, I can occasionally add them back in when I reach goal.

Music, It's hard to know if stopping the chemo is the right decision. But I guess you have to leave that up to her and her Dr. Most importantly is what she wants and how she feels. I believe attitude is 90% of it. Still sending prayers her way. Look for the wagon, it's coming around.

Gracious, It's ok to play sometimes. Nothing wrong with that. I'm like you. Cook the same thing over and over. I don't mind cooking if someone would just tell me what to cook. I need to try some new recipes. That is my goal.

Deb, Hoping you get that modem in soon. We are missing your words of wisdom. Liked your MM. It took me 2 reads on the first one to totally understand it. I can relate to the third one too. I have done nothing exercise wise this past week. It was ok, but I was glad to get back in routine today.

Have a great day everyone!

Jackie
257/179/145
10-10-01
Old 08-12-2002, 10:09 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 257/169/155

Height: 5'6"

Someone sent me this and thought we all could relate in some ways. It is cute.

Night Time Prayer:

Now I lay me Down to sleep. I pray the Lord My shape to keep. Please no wrinkles Please no bags And please lift my butt Before it sags. Please no age spots Please no gray And as for my belly, Please take it away. Please keep me healthy Please keep me young, And thank you Dear Lord For all that you've done. Foot Note: One saggy boob said to the other saggy boob:

"If we don't get some support soon, people will think we're nuts.".

Jackie
Old 08-12-2002, 10:34 AM   #10  

Morning! I have nothing motivational to add today. Just, DO IT! You will be happy you did.

I am about to take off to meet my hubby for lunch. We were going to try a Lebanese restaurant he found near his office, but he just called to tell me it is closed on Mondays! Bummer! We might could have waited until tomorrow, but then he has no lunch. Guess we will try Thai, or something else instead.

I saw something odd this morning...a fox was trotting across my front yard! It scared the crap out of the cat! He ran up the stairs and into the house like a flash! It is unusual to see a fox in such an urban area. We do live near the river, where there are forest preserves and such. I guess he just wandered over here, and found someplace to stay!

School started today. The house is quiet, and restful. Ah! It is amazing how much chaos one teenager can generate! LOL

Come on, everyone...lets make this the best week ever! We can do it! We are winners! We are great losers! (kind of an oxymoron huh?)
Old 08-12-2002, 11:25 AM   #11  
Wannabe skinny babe

Unhappy Another new week

Hi everyone!

Thanks for the encouragement. As of Saturday (my Weight Watchers Weigh In) I am at 192, only 4 lbs. off of my all-time high.

You would think that’s enough to rein me in, but NO… I went on a tortilla chip, french onion dip, and Oreo binge. Ugh. Never mind the fact that it really didn’t taste all that good. Today I feel bloated. Gee, I wonder why?

I have two weeks until my dress fitting, and one day after that I go into surgery. How much does a gallbladder weigh? At least that will account for SOME loss. I am trying to regain some semblance of dignity here. You are all so wonderfully encouraging, and I thank you for that!

A question… my stepson has ADD and a high-functioning form of autism called “Aspergers Syndrome”. One of the things DH2B and I have talked about is how potentially beneficial it would be to wean SS off of sugar and see if it helps his attention span. The problem is, we only have him every other week. Is it even doing any good if it takes us all week to detox him, only to have him go back to his mom’s and eat junk all day every day??? Any advice here is appreciated.

Sammy the furpuppy is doing well. She’s a little sad, being boarded at the Humane Society until the end of the month, and I must confess that I cried like a baby when she clung to me as I was trying to leave…

BUT we get to visit and play and take her for walks every day. Except for an alarming tendency to get underfoot while walking (and the herd-dog nipping at heels thing), she’s taking to training very well. We are talking about obedience classes, and the AGILITY thing sounds wonderful. I’m trying to find a place in our area that has classes for it. Here I am, planning Sammy’s future, and she’s only 8 weeks old.

I am hoping that once we’re in our house, I can take more control of my eating. Right now, I spend one week eating at my apartment with Dan, then the next week I’m always over at his mom’s, where he and John (stepson) are living until the wedding. Dan’s mom is a nice lady, but she’s got JUNK FOOD all over the house. Dan and John routinely eat cookies, cake, rice, pasta, and white bread… everything I’m trying to avoid. It’s so difficult to not eat what’s for dinner there, and I am tired of fighting with Dan about the crap he’s feeding himself and his son.

I’ve told him that in MY household, we’re only having healthier choices, and if John wants an after-school snack, he’d better learn to grab yogurt or an apple. Wish me luck!

Thanks for listening to me babble yet again. I’m going to try and concentrate on my own eating, even if it means skipping dinner with Dan and joining the family later. John will be relieved – his 8-year-old palate is limited to chicken nuggets and pizza. He’s going to be in for a shock in October!

Hugs,

Jenn
Old 08-12-2002, 11:29 AM   #12  

Good Monday Morning Everyone

Thought I'd take a shot and try to get in a post before I start tackling the modem problem. This is NOT the post I've been intending to get done, just something to get up here to let you know I'm still alive and kicking.

Had a few things to do this morning so haven't gotten around to calling tech support as of yet. Michael's friend is having a surprise party for him labor day weekend (Sunday) and she needs me to get pictures to do a collage for her by tomorrow, so that is on my major to-do list this morning since the kids are at school. I can't WAIT til Michael sees all the nudies I've given her-paybacks sure are sweet!!!!!

Was able to get out and do 4.5 miles this morning. Haven't done ANY exercise at all for about 2 weeks, haven't been like this in more than 2 years. Was hard, but glad I went.

BIGK, glad to have you back on the board-have missed you. Six pounds since Feb. is NOT bad at all, I can do that easily in a lot less time, sorta feels like playing NAME THAT TUNE, but instead, GAIN THAT POUND, and I can do it in less time than you Did SZUSZU have the baby yet?

CHERYL, I liked reading what motivates you to stay OP! Thanks for sharing. I did read that book long ago. You have to remember, what works for one may not work for another. Some people may benefit by eating that potato whereas others won't. There use to be a gal on this board that made goal, BEACHFAN, who, the entire time on SB never gave up eating bananas and had no problem meeting goal. If you really decide you want a potato, not that I'd eat one every day, esp. before going to bed, you can always see how it may effect you and then go from there.

MUSIC, glad to see you back and glad to hear your DM is feeling better. I'm sure she'll make the right decision for herself. I'm with you, don't want to step on the scale either

GRACIOUS, thanks for the tip on clearing the cookies-can't imagine how much I have on this computer by now, will have to try. Boy, it is hot up there, I would think you all would cool off a little bit. You have it hotter there than we do down in FL.

JACKK, looks like we both got our butts up and out today - go us!!!! Trust me, I've had major board withdrawls since all this has been going on with the computer-time to get this post done and get on the phone with tech support!!! Loved the prayer!!!!

MONET, too bad on the Lebanese rest. today - hey, you could always come down to our little Lebanese rest. at Chateau Eli!!! Think about coming to Orlando in January, would you?????

JENN, just my 2 cents about detoxing DSS. It's a good idea and surely couldn't hurt, but seems fruitless if his mother doesn't follow suit. Would only work if both do the same, not that it would hurt any for him not to eat that crap while he's with you, but any good that goes with it is reversed once he goes home. Maybe if you do it and she sees a difference she'll keep it up - worth a try

Okay, I know, it's short, but at least I got it on, right? As soon as I get this posted, I'm logging off and calling tech support for the modem. I'm just hoping I'm not installing it properly and they can guide me in doing so and NOT find out it's something with the computer!!!!!

Will let you all know when I'm back up and running!!!

Toodles

Debbie
194/1??/129
SB since 3/22/00
Reached goal 6/10/01
Old 08-12-2002, 11:58 AM   #13  

JENN- I have an 8, 6 and 3.5 year old and I thought I would toss my 2 cents in too. When we know how bad junk food is for our bodies, why would we continue giving it to a kid even if we know he is going to get it at his other home? That is like giving poison (since that is what we seem to think sugar is around here) to someone just because we already know he is getting it elsewhere.

When I started my *healthier eating* I basically detoxed my house in a big way and have kept it like that for the most part. Hubby and kids are all brown bread, rice and pasta eaters now because that is all I buy, cook and serve them. If they don't want to starve (which they don't) then they eat what we have. I occasionally buy a few cookies but that is a rare occurance. I still *allow* desserts on occasion too like ice cream and popsicles...I mean they are kids, but they are treats and not staples. But when they want evening snacks it is always an apple. They are also fond of cheese and *picnics* which include sliced fruit, lunch meat, pickles and ww crackers.

The way I see it is, it is easier to control what the kids eat than what I eat! I am more vigilant with them being good eaters because I can say no without a problem to them...meanwhile, temptation is often lurking at my own door. Do SS a favour and teach him good eating habits and talk about *healthy* food rather than *fat and skinny*. Especially with his health concerns. Maybe his mother will learn a valuable lesson from you! Here's to hoping.
Old 08-12-2002, 12:08 PM   #14  
Wannabe skinny babe

Another question...

What's the scoop on Popcorn???

How bad is it? Dan and I want to have a "movie night" at home every other week with John, so to this end I purchased a hot air popper. I've heard it's better than microwaving with all the oil, etc.

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2002, 01:09 PM   #15  

Talking Motivational Monday!!!!!!!!!

This morning was an annual visit with the doctor, she ran bloodwork because I told her I was having the night sweats and periods were getting painful….but other than that I am fine….she said I am a healthy "young" chick and, and that she thinks I am too young for the nightsweats and so, blood test to find out levels….. She also noticed the swollen part of my foot when I told her I was not exercising at the moment because of it – she was upset that I am having to wait until Thursday to get a bone scan to look at it – and see about casting, fixing it…. Upsets me too! I am calling the other doctor today and trying to get them to move it up some – or at least do SOMETHING besides telling me to not walk on it too much – does not sound right…..sorry, had to complain, whine, fuss

Motivation: The fact that before I even ballooned up to my highest, I had seen my doctor at a heavier weight, and when I went in today I was very happy to know that I weigh even less than I did last Summer!!!! And that the doctor praised me for my health and determination!!! That is motivation! Along with the fact that I am sitting here in my new denim skirt – size 18, and knowing that in a month or two it will be pretty loose on me….

I am eating my salad and whole wheat pita – had a ww english muffin for breakfast – and tonight is a dinner of pita and salad again – and DS will have Boca Burger in Pita….

BKM – Hey there, Welcome back!!!!!

Cheryl – That is terrific that you are feeling better with this woe!!! Your doing great!

Music – Hop back on the wagon!!! I am sure being back in routine will help you with getting back to the woe routine as well! I am sorry to hear what you are going through with your mom, as well as what your mom is going through….I agree with Gracious, that is some tough decision. {{Hugs}}

Gracious – Somewhere along the way I missed your new pup – so what did you get? Enjoy your company and dinner….

Jack-K – that is too cute!!!! Loved it!

Monet – I love Thai – anything curried is great to me! Have a good lunch – and I agree to make this the best week yet! I am right there, yahooing!!!! Wahoooing!!!!

Deb – Oh you must keep us updated about the pictures for Michael’s surprise….

Well better run, Sabrina
272/246/157
Closed Thread