Success Stories! Share your success stories! Let's work together to make this the busiest forum of all!

Old 05-03-2005, 08:14 AM   #16  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

It was raising back up from tying my shoes and finding I was so out of breath that I was panting. I suddenly decided that at 37 yo, if a former heart surgery patient is panting and out of breath from just tying shoes, where will I be at 47? Still alive? I realized how many years I'd been avoiding steps because of my knee bothering me. Well no wonder, with over 240 pounds on it, a knee's bound to protest. I don't want to die young, nor even live the average lifespan. But I want to exceed it and still be moving around and not full of aches and pains when I'm older.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:52 PM   #17  

My turning point is very sad..please dont take this in any bad way.. but my turning point was feburary 17th.. i realized that i had to prop my leg up on the tub to shave, and i cuddnt see my private area for my large stomach..lol.. thats when i said "hey now, im fat'
Tru Luvin
TruLuvin4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 11:17 PM   #18  
Blonde Bimbo

Default Mrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruLuvin4us
My turning point is very sad..please dont take this in any bad way.. but my turning point was feburary 17th.. i realized that i had to prop my leg up on the tub to shave, and i cuddnt see my private area for my large stomach..lol.. thats when i said "hey now, im fat'
Tru Luvin
Hey! I hadn't seen my privates in so many years, forgot I had them. But speaking of propping the leg to shave...it is much nicer being able to get all the hair off the back of the thigh now...an area I also haven't been able to reach for years. And I don't get out of breath shaving these days either. And less cuts from trying to reach those hard to reach places. Nothing's hard to reach anymore.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:18 PM   #19  
5lbs fat vs 5 lbs muscle

Height: 5'6

I am 26 years old and I currently weigh 258 lbs which is down from 305. My ultimate goal is to get down to 150 lbs but my yearly goal is to get down to 205lbs.

I started working out September 2004 seriously after a visit to the doctors office and finding out that I weighed over 300lbs which was shocking. Anyways I went to the doctors office because one particular day i woke up and my vision was blurry and my body just didn't feel right. I had blood tests taken and later found out that I was in the baby stages of diabetes, and my iron levels were anemic (i alredy knew that), and that i have disease called Hypothyroidism.

As soon as the verdict was given I was no longer in the doctors office my mind was far far away. i flashed back to my grandma. She was a diabetic and she passed when I was 15 from complications from diabetes. I thought about her having to stick herself with a needle every day trying to find a soft spot on her stomach, arms or legs to stick the needle in to get insulin into her bloodstream, I thought about her taking so many pills that she had a pill organizer. I thought about her vision going south and having cataracts, and I thought about her having to go to dialysis, getting her leg amputated, and have sugar attack episodes. You see i grew up with my grandma.......she raised me, and as a child i never paid attention to all that she had to do to maintain but right in that moment that the news was delivered, I flashed into that memory and I made up in my mind with My Lord and Savior Jesus Christ as a witness that i would never allow my own body to be put through that and if I had anything to say about this I was gonna beat this.
Well my doctor explained to me that because the diabetes was in the baby stages there was a chance that I could beat this. All I had to do was lose weight!!! ADUHHHHHHH.
I have been on many weightloss programs and many many diets, heck I even did WW but every single time i got serious about my weightloss something tragic would happen to me to cause me to turn to my emotional best friend......FOOD. Well I made up in my mind to beat this thing and I've been going strong ever since.

I went back to the doctor in December to have more blood tests taken weighing in at 284 lbs and all traces of the diabetes was GONE. Thank you JESUS!! Hallelujah! My iron levels were brought back to normal but when it is time for the monthly visit I do have to take my medication to keep my iron levels up because I lose so much blood. Sorry, TMI I know but it's real. Unfortunately the Hypothyroidism is still evident and the doctor says that it is a disease that doesn't go away. Hopefully with God's help we can prove them wrong on this one but regardless this is my story and this weightloss is coming off in Jesus Name!!
MrsDawsondn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 05:19 AM   #20  
Determined to Lose!!!

My turning point...

Well, I feel like I've had soooo many opportunities to 'turn it all around' but I went on a 'I'm a beautiful fat woman' kick because I was sick and tired of the way people (including family and friends) treated me because of my weight!

I've always had a problem with my knee (this is how I became so heavy in the first place). I had an operation as a child and to cheer me up my chocaholic mom thought it would be great if we spent the 10 months where I was chair bound eating ice cream cookie dough and triple chocolate cakes! lol

Anyway, the turning point developed when I ended up with sciatica and I was in so much pain that I would spend the day crying and hunched over. Suddenly I realised that at the age of 27 I was aching and behaving like some 72 year olds. And my hubby (who is 42 and thin) had more energy and endurance than me. I was also tired of panicking whenever it was time to meet one of his friends or family members. Also, and I don't mean to be offensive, I don't want to sacrifice my sex life because I 'can't get enough chocolate'. If my husband and I are having this much fun now, I just think yowza when i consider the fun it would be if I could do some of the work from time to time lol

I'M TIRED OF SACRIFICING WHO I REALLY AM BECAUSE I'M TOO LAZY TO TAKE CONTROL OF MY CRAVINGS AND DO SOME EXERCISE!!!
BIGGIRL27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 12:02 PM   #21  

Turning point???? HMMM I have had so many....A picture of me and my mom together several years ago...is one that really sticks to mind. My mother was not a thin woman and I always thought to myself that I did not want to end up like her....well standing together in that picture I looked almost BIGGER than her! I am a short 5ft 2" woman who does not carry 171 lbs very well....in any case that picture was taken a long time ago and my mom has since passed due to the lack of caring for herself, and there have been many pictures since and many times that I have tried to lose weight on my own with minimal success and never able to keep it off. I guess the final turning point for me was having such a difficult time keeping up with my 2 year old, and got me thinking I REALLY don't want to end up like my mom.....gone before her time and not here for her kids that still need her.
Igottabme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 02:53 PM   #22  

My turning point came yesterday when I realized I was tired of not feeling good, and I want to be able to buy pretty clothes that fit well. Both yesterday and today I've walked and exercised along with an exercise video. I'd forgotten how good it feels to be exercising again!
mom42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 03:29 PM   #23  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Mine didn't really come from my weight. Despite my size, it never really bothered me, and I've never tried to lose it. My mother's big, and her parents were big, so I just assumed that was how it was, and I felt healthy. I didn't weigh myself for years. I honestly don't know what I weighed at any point in the past 10 or so years.

I did a 1 mile charity run and got overtaken by an old guy pushing a pram. Part of me was proud that I got round the run in a vaguely respectable time (I didn't run it all by any means, but neither did a lot of other people), but I was still annoyed to have been overtaken by this guy.

Two days later I spotted that the gym over the road from work had an offer for 6 weeks no strings membership over summer. I decided to sign up to try to get a bit fitter. As part of my induction I had to be weighed. I never realised I weighed that much. I'm quite tall and "big boned", and although I wouldn't try to claim I'm not fat, I didn't think I was that fat. Well, I was. I lost about a stone over last summer, but then I had a couple of set backs including being burgled (which meant for a while I was unwilling to leave the house unless I absolutely had to in case they came back) and with that and christmas, I put most of it back on although I still had my gym membership (I took out a years membership once my 6 weeks ended).

In January I got back down to it, and I've not looked back. Last year I was amazed that I could lose weight by exercising and still eating rubbish. This year I realised that if I sorted out my eating it would all be a **** of a lot easier, and better for me. Something just clicked, and now I wake up in the morning and want to go to the gym, I go to the supermarket and I want to buy fruit and veg.

I think the main trigger was inside me, it was just the right time more than anything. My motivation suddenly arrived, and I was off. The bloke overtaking me helped, but I was already on the way by signing up for the race in the first place.

Sorry this is a bit long!
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 09:25 PM   #24  
skinnywomantryingtogetout

Default This is not who I want to be

My turning point was simply waking up one morning and deciding that was the day I was going to change my life. I was tired of being heavy. I had developed some joint pain and also sleep apnea, both of which are made worse by excess weight. I am about half-way to my goal now and haven't looked back. I just made up my mind to learn how to eat in order to have a healthy body. I am actually excited every day when it comes time to weigh! Imagine!
insideskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 01:34 AM   #25  

When my turning point happened, I didn't realize at the time it was going to be my turning point. I have been heavy for most of my life but I still had a very active social life. I had my share of dates and was (and still am) very outgoing but deep inside the weight bothered me.

Finally about three years ago I met an amazing guy who I became fast and best friends with. One night we took our relationship to the next level. The next day he disappeared. A few months later he re appeared stating that he loved being friends with me, and actually wanted to be more but couldn't get around the weight issue. This was the first time anyone had ever said this to me. I was shocked. He continued to say though that he wanted to give it a go anyways with me, heavy and all.

For the next year we had an amazing realtionship. I fell in love with him and he claims he did too. Then one day he told me that he couldn't see me anymore. That he had met someone else and ended it abruptly. Months later he called me up once again telling me that he was in fact in love with me and that the woman that he had left me for was nothing compared to me......but he just couldn't get over my weight and that even though he loved me more then her, he simply couldn't be with me.

Needless to say I was heartbroken, and the next day I started on the road to being healthier. Funny thing is as the pounds drop my desire to ever see or talk to him again goes with it. In fact my weight loss experience is no longer about him, its all about me. I haven't seen him in almost two years and I've changed my life completely. Work is great, my health is fantastic and I'm seeing a wonderful guy who makes me happy.

In a strange way I would like to thank that guy who dumped me. If he hadn't done it I wouldn't be where I am today.
starscreensiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 10:33 AM   #26  
Blonde Bimbo

Default Mrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by starscreensiren
Funny thing is as the pounds drop my desire to ever see or talk to him again goes with it. In fact my weight loss experience is no longer about him, its all about me.
Whew! I was glad to read that after that story. I was starting to worry that you'd say you guys were back together or something. That guy has some problems of his own he needs to deal with before he can have a meaningful relationship.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:32 PM   #27  
Miles

S/C/G: 176/168/135

Height: 5'4"

My turning point is a little selfish and slightly rude. My mother and sister have always weighed more than me, my sister partly just out of being older when growing up, and then putting on some excess weight after moving out. One fall my mother had bariatric surgery and the lbs began to come off, shortly after my sister who had been approaching my mother's weight went on a low calorie diet and had lost a significant amount. I was never obese, but was always comfortable with the fact that at least they both were larger than me, and as callous as this will sound, I began to worry when they both began to approach my current weight. This prompted me to follow my sister's low calorie plan, which I did well on for about 7 or 8 months (until the holidays, ugh) and now am trying to incorporate some exercise, and get back on track.
blues4miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 09:20 PM   #28  

I had many things that built up,until my turning point.

1.I looked bad in clothes.If I wore tighter clothes(tastefully tight),I would look awesome!It brought out my nice figure.Oh,what's that?Ah,yes,the big ol' stomach over the jeans.Oh,the tires(rolls of fat) on my back.Well,I guess I won't be wearing this today.I have JROTC.The thinner and more athletic cadets looked great in their uniforms!I looked horrible,like a blob.The fact that I have to tuck in my shirt makes it worse.I really want to look sharp and professional in uniform!

2.I couldn't find any clothes that look good!All that comes in my size are usually tents,or clothes that are very mature looking for a 16 year old.One time I was shopping trying to make my boring wardrobe full or tent shirts nicer,but I couldn't find anything.I almost cried at the mall.

3.During JROTC I was attempting to run a mile.The thin athletic kids would finish like in 7 minutes.I couldn't finish at all.I was always last.I had to keep everyone waiting for me to finish.What's worse,this year,I was on my second lap(out of four),and I almost fainted.

4.The fat made my face look ugly.I have a double chin.At my heaviest weight,if I looked down,i would look like a frog.

5.I reached 170 pounds.I found this out at the doctor's.Wow.Ten pounds away from my mom's size.I did not want to look like my mom.Plus,I was losing my hourglass shape,and getting a rounder shape.My dad was also bothering me about how fat I was.

So,yeah,that's pretty much it.Real turning point was #5.Now that I lost 11 lbs,I can see the change,and feel much better!
Zapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 07:43 AM   #29  
Darrell's Girl

Well, this is a good thread...glad i stumbled on it!

my turning point was when i was thumbing through the channels on tv, i came across a WWF show one Monday night.... i stopped to watch for a few minutes and here comes the WWF champion down the ramp. The announcer says something to the effect of "Now coming to the ring, weighing in at 235 pounds . . ." or something like that. I was like ummm I weigh more than the freaking WWF champion. THAT hit me hard...

what underlined it for me was when my older son was going through boot camp.. i had become email buddies with his senior drill instructor and i found out i weigh more than HIM. Lawdy dawg, lawdy dawg.....
MarineTubaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 01:02 PM   #30  
I believe in Futures

My turning point was last year when a girl in one of my classes thought I was thirty-years-old (I was 23 at the time). I HAD it with being fat and now 30 lbs. later, people on campus mistake me for a freshman!
purplebanana is offline   Reply With Quote