Success Stories! Share your success stories! Let's work together to make this the busiest forum of all!

Old 07-30-2005, 12:33 AM   #61  

S/C/G: 64/60/54 (141/133/119)

Height: 163cm (5'3)

My turning point came when sitting down I could feel and see rolls of fat around my stomach. Having a pear shape, I haven't really noticed the extra fat creeping on around my behind and I've always (until recently!) have a small stomach but now the fat is moving upwards and it's a much more tangible thing.

Suzanne
High C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 02:02 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 306/294/170

I think it was actually when I looked in the mirror and realized that I was a "before" picture - obese, wearing an old t-shirt, crooked glasses, awful skin - and realized that I really wanted to be an "after" picture.
uncovering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 04:28 PM   #63  
make your time

S/C/G: 184/184/140

Thumbs up

This is such an incredible thread--everyone's stories are so motivating!
It seems like I've had so many "this is it!" moments only to get derailed by something temporary or silly--once even a change in tv schedule for my favorite show! I'm trying now to choose my new self everyday--to find a "turning point" moment every day to recommit myself to being healthy. I'm really hoping that if I do that for enough days in a row (however many that is!) then it will just be second nature for me to exercise rather than channel surf!
melra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 10:48 PM   #64  

My aunt passed away in April after battling a recurrence of colon cancer. She had battled weight all of her life, and in her final letter she wrote to her daughter, she talked about wasted time being spent on being dissatisfied with herself and the weight. She talked about precious time, and I figured that it was high time to I quit wasting the precious time that God has given me being miserable and trying to avoid places or situations b/c of my weight. I will carry those words with me throughout the rest of my life.
hollybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 10:50 PM   #65  

BTW- Another inspiration to read is Oprah's story and her turning point. It's on Oprah.com and I found myself liking her even more b/c of her honesty and no matter how much money she has, she still endures the same battles that we all do with weight loss.
hollybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 12:05 AM   #66  

Default turning point

My turning point was a picture. Thanksgiving 2002. Wearing a big baggy grey sweatshirt because it's the only thing that fit. I looked fat, pale, unhealthy and OLD. I was so mortified that I started going to the gym the next day, and joined WW the following week.

What keeps me committed? That same picture. I never want to look like that again. I never want to feel the aching knees and back, the tiredness, and most of all the self hatred I felt back then. That's what keeps me going. That, and knowing that every meal is another chance to start fresh. Once I got that in my head and really believed it, it made it all so much easier.
Teelee6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 04:43 AM   #67  
getting healthy

My turning point was finally deciding to step on the scale, after I had avoided it for months. I did not want to see how big I had become, I knew I had put on weight, but I didn't want to know how much. I guess it was easier to just shrug it off and not think about it for a while. I would complain here and there about how sick of being fat I was and I needed to do something, yet I never did. I haven't been overweight my whole life, but have been for the past 5 years or so. I got to a point where I guess I convinced myself it wasn't that bad and I looked ok.

After I stepped on the scale and saw my weight, my jaw dropped and I felt disgusted. I couldn't believe I let myself get to that weight. I then thought why should I just sit back and accept this for myself, this is not me and not who I want to be, and I have to change it. I want to be healthier and be proud of the way I look, because I haven't felt that way in a few years. I have a long way to go, but with the loss I have had so far, I feel great knowing I am helping to better myself

--Gina
shortygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:28 AM   #68  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

My Turning Point was going out with a guy who's lost loads of weight. Then he dumped me for being overweight! What a LOSER! But it kickstarted me into working out and going to the gym - which I'd never seriously done before! So I guess I owe him a thank you, but he'll never know, cos he's not worthy of my attentions!

Oh, even though this was my kickstart, it's taken a LONG LONG time! About 4 years and now I'm just beginning to shape up the way I want to having discovered kickboxing and weight training that I love so much! I love them more than I ever loved him! Bitter? Me?
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 05:47 PM   #69  

My turning point was after noticing my clothes were fitting tighter and purchasing my weight scale to discover I weighed 251 lbs. I was utterly shocked. Right then and there I decided I wanted to get under 200 and hopefully I'll be under 200 by time March gets here again in 2006. Also I noticed my knees started bothering me especially when I would chase after my lil son. Well I'm at 224 and proud! I know I shall be at or under 200 by time December/January comes around.
misskeisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 09:57 AM   #70  

When I was younger (a teen, or in my early 20's), I didn't worry that much about being overweight... yes, I did worry A LOT about the way some people treated me because of it, that really hurt me - but I didn't worry about any of the other reasons why losing weight would be a good idea. But late last year, when I was 27, I started having different kinds of health problems that were all related to my weight, and one day, I collapsed... my mind was unclear, it was very difficult for me to breathe, my heart was beating way too fast, and I was having chest pains. It wasn't that serious, I was ok again after a days rest, but it was definitely what I would call "a warning", and I thought, "I'm only 27, and my body is already giving up!". That was VERY frightening! That made me think... I'm born with bad legs, and have several knee and back injuries to think about, but I never had before. I suddenly realized, ok, I'm young right now, but someday I won't be, and I want to be able to walk and move around when that time comes. So, I guess I simply realized that I'm not immortal, I won't be young forever, and I need to take care of my body if I want to be able to keep enjoying life. Plus, I realized how great it would be if I wouldn't have to deal with the problems like being made fun of by strangers, or being looked down upon for being overweight... as wrong as I think those people are, the fact is that saying "they're stupid, they should leave me alone" - doesn't change the fact that they won't go away, and they'll keep making me miserable, and I just won't let them do that for the rest of my life!
Ligeia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 02:51 PM   #71  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

I had been telling myself for like the past year, I need to do something, I should start back up with exercising and WW. But I never did. I'd tell myself that I wasn't that bad, and that it could wait. So I just kept putting it off and off, and couldn't understand why I was gaining weight so much.

What made me actually do it, was my boyfriend said something about my weight during a fight. He's NEVER said anything about it, and has always said I was beautiful and he loved my body. But for some reason during this stupid fight, he said something about how much I was eating.

Of course it hurt me, and I was upset about it, and he did apologize for it. But it just opened my eyes and I saw how I looked. I was 270 lbs, and a size 22! And I've been on WW since, and have lost 18 lbs since June 6th

~Liz
Lizzyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 09:45 AM   #72  

What a fantastic thread.
I wish to share my current story as I am "about" to get back on the wagon...as of tomorrow.
I began 2005 with a crystal clear goal and mindset to lose the majority of my fat by the end of the year. I posted at the weigh in thread my horrible starting weight of 248.
I had an absolutely shocking time in hospital last year when I gave birth to my daughter. The olde world nurses kept making prank jokes about me being a "big girl" and I cant rest in bed because I am a big girl and I need to move around as big girls have a hard time healing. They asked me if I wanted them to do exercise when I needed the bed raised I escaped home after my partner had to tell one of them to stop it as I burst into tears. I am so sensitive about my weight.
When I walk down the street and in queues I feel like everyone is staring at my huge thighs or belly. I have had to switch off to get through daily life and I am better at doing that now, not all people stare at you...they have their own things going on.
So, I began a low fat, 1200 calorie per day diet this year, non restrictive in choice of food just calories. I did really well .To begin with. I lost a bit of weight in the early months of this year. Then someone put me onto low carb
I thought wow, I can eat all that grease without fear. The first day I tried it I lost 4 pounds overnight. How amazing, I will get into that bikini in no time. I stuck with the low carb eating for 6 weeks and I lost weight alot slower than with low fat. After doing all the right low carb things and feeling incredibly logy I was gaining weight!!:-(
I had brain fag from the low carb/low fat fight confusion so I just started eating what I wanted again.
So... this is where the story ends I have regained 13(current 235) of the 26 (lowest 222) hard fought pounds I lost this year (started 248) and am in a world of pain with my body. I am starting tomorrow and thats it!!!!!!
See you all around again on the threads!
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 01:22 AM   #73  

Arrow

My turning point... I have had several but I really think my biggest was here recently when I knew I was gaining weight, I could feel it, and in a month none of my clothes fit me anymore. I bit my lip and stood on the scale to find a 15 pound gain, but it was more than that... it was 50 in a year!!!! I had always been overweight, but it was up 10 from last year or 5 from last year, but this topped it all. Last summer I lost 30 pounds, so not only did I gain back that 30, but another 20! I cried, I wollored in my weight gain and then I decided it wasn't a diet anymore it is a lifestyle change. It is teaching my children to eat healthy, and being there every step of the way for them. I am 238 right now. I have a mini month goal and next month I will have a new one. Above all this is learning, it is changing me as a person and changing the way my family looks at food which is different from the way I was raised.
AliLewis328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 11:44 AM   #74  

I'm ecstatic that I found this thread--I've laughed and cried my way through all of the posts and in each one found something that struck a chord in me. My turning point came recently during a trip to Seattle. I caught an unexpected glimpse of myself in a mirror (usually I'm very aware of mirror placement and avoid deftly). Whoa...I decided then and there that I could no longer fool myself into thinking I was OK. I'm 47--how much more of my life was I willing to watch slip away because I'm so ashamed of the way I look? The answer was a resounding NOT ANOTHER MINUTE! It finally, FINALLY hit home with me that the real key to losing weight is not jumping on another round of WW (although I base my food plan on it)...it's about doing the hard work..the MENTAL work of changing my relationship with food. I have become more active and intend to be increasingly so. I have turned this corner and I'm never going to look back...I can't change all the fact of all the failed diets and regained weight, etc, etc...I can only change what I do right now, this minute. And I'm choosing to live my life the way I want to and not be oppressed by weight and shame and sadness. *whew*..ok..stepping off my soapbox now!! Can only say thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone for posting their story.
Barb1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 03:40 PM   #75  

This thread is absolutely wonderful. I kind of had a bunch of turning poitns all rolled up into 1 (Sorry about the length). I had been 350 or so when I graduated college, and then after I moved I lose down to about 310. I stayed there, then in August 2003 I was hit head-on while I was driving up a curvy road. It was a big SUV that was speeding and ran on top of me. I came within an inch of losing my leg completely, and it put me (23 at the time) in the hospital with a long line of knee/foot/hand surgeries. I had to move back in with my parents because I was in a wheelchair, and because my hand was injured I couldn't even wheel myself. For the next several months I went through an additional foot surgery, and finally moved from the wheelchair, to a walker, and then to a cane. I was very very fortunate that my mother was retired and she was able to take care of me. (God, I'm just typing this and I'm about to start crying.)

Anyway, so over the next year I taught myself to walk again, to climb stairs.. to move. All of the things I used to take for granted (like being able to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night) because GIGANTIC goals. But I did it, one step at a time. People were so nice to me, helping me and keeping up my mood, but they couldn't make me walk. My mother took me to the pool when I was able to use the cane, and I just walked along as much as I could, over and over again, and eventually I got my motion back. I started trying to swim as much as I could, and then I started taking a yoga class. I had to use 3 mats stacked on top of eachother because I couldn't put much weight on even the non-injured leg. The first class killed me, and I took it slowly and just did what I could.

It's been about a year since then, and unless someone knows me and my story, the could never tell I was injured. I have to watch stairs sometimes, but aside from that my motion is almost completely back to normal (even though my toe doesn't ben anymore.)

Not long after my accident, my mother was diagnosed with Stage IV colon cancer. It's spread to her lung and liver, and she was going through her surgeries and diagnosis while I was recovering. She is still here, fighting, and she said to me a couple of months ago that I was an inspiration for her. That hit me so hard, because I have moved away from her again and am putting my life back together and am at a crossroads where I could go back to my old habits. If I do, I will very likely end up with all the health problems my mother has.

I'm not going to. And my body was nice enough to me to help me live when no one thought I was going to make it, to help me walk when my doctor thought there was a good chance they'd have to amputate my leg. My body was nice enough to let me keep it. So I'm going to be nice to it now.
shellsbells is offline   Reply With Quote