South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 09:43 PM   #136  

Great attitude, changa! You're inspiring!

Beans- I hope you enjoy! :-D
Old 07-19-2005, 10:11 PM   #137  

I miss fruit too!
Today I was out all day but made the healthiest choices I could. Had egg and cheese (no biscuit) from mcdonalds and then for lunch had side salad and grilled chicken from wendys. I had no time to prepare and it was over 100 degrees outside. Well at least I tried to make fast food healthier food
Old 07-20-2005, 11:17 AM   #138  
going places

I've finished my first exercise challenge...YAY, Yay, yippee!!

For this first challenge I stuck with what I knew I could do, which was walking. For the most part I walked first thing in the morning before it got too hot out for 45-60 minutes. There was one day when I kept trying to put it off...I finally drug my behind to the treadmill at about 5pm and got it done.

It's a good feeling to set a goal and to reach it. I really feel inspired now to start a new 'mini challenge' for exercise with a little more challenge this time. My new challenge is 7 days straight, but I will sub The Firm workouts on alternating days (at least 3 of the 7 days.) These workouts are really challenging for me and I really break a sweat with them. On my walking days I'm going to concentrate more on form and walking a little faster...when I walk inside on the treadmill I've been doing about 3mph, I'll try upping that to 3.2 mph and maybe a few jogs in there for good measure...I'm gonna play that by ear, though, cuz I don't want to quit from pushing too hard.

I've got to admit something here. The first day I went outside to walk I was so hesitant. I kept thinking about how all those people would be gawking at the fat chick walking down the road. Midway through that first outside walk I kinda went off into fantasy land...visualizing myself being fit, maybe training for a marathon or something...as I walked I actually became that thin, healthy person (in my own little fantasy world) and I felt SO GOOD as I continued. Exercise is such a great way to visualize ourselves in that fit and healthy bod that we all are working for. Call it a daydream or whatever you want...it sure works for me

I've tried several recipes from the boards...they've been life-savers for me. I can't say that the kids have all been thrilled with everything I've made, but they'll live. Yesterday I broke down and let them walk to the little grocery store a few blocks away to get some candy...they had to promise that it would be gone before they got home. OH MY!! Talk about kids banging off the walls when they got home! I don't even want to know what they ate...but, it's gonna be a while before they do that again.

I made breakfast cheesecake last night for my breakfast this morning....OHHH SOOO YUMMY! This could be a potential trigger food for me, though...I'm thinking I'll use this for a dessert rather than breakfast in my case.

Everyone is doing so good! I'm so happy to be with this group
Old 07-20-2005, 12:48 PM   #139  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel2
Hi everyone! I started Phase 1 today and so far it's going pretty good. I've tried WW and Slim Fast before and did ok on both of them but I guess I get bored too easily so I've decided to try South Beach. I've heard wonderful things about it. The only problem I've had so far is that my grocery bill for this week skyrocketed! Why is it that healthy food is so much more expensive than junk food?
I hear you on that one! Not only is the bill becoming larger, but I am CONSTANTLY at the grocery store. Fresh veggies and eggs get depleted around here quickly! Good luck!
Old 07-20-2005, 02:40 PM   #140  

Scout your not kidding! I went to the market the other day and loaded up and now I go in the fridge and say where did it all go
Old 07-20-2005, 05:26 PM   #141  
2blessed2Bstressed

S/C/G: 201/201/165

Height: 5'11"

Talking

Eating right is more expensive compared to fast food or junk!

I think that most of us would spend the extra money on thin pills if there was such a thing, but instead we have to spend it on things that will eventually make us thin! It's worth it!

Here's some more info on saving $$: (taken from a SouthBeach newsletter)

Eating healthy can be expensive. The last thing you need is to throw away food because it spoiled before you had a chance to use it. The good news is, with some careful planning, you can easily avoid wasting food. Here's how:

1. The South Beach Diet™ recipes are good places to go for inspiration for your daily meals. However, some recipes, admittedly, are not ideal for the budget-conscious. A recipe containing 10 or more ingredients can be costly. To save money, refashion the recipes to fit your budget, or plan your own meals with your own ingredients. Once you grasp the principles of The South Beach Diet™ lifestyle, you'll have all the knowledge you need to create your own recipes.
2. Before you hit the grocery store, know exactly what you plan to make for the next two or three days, or even the next week. Make a list of foods you'll need, and don't stray from the list.
3. Fresh vegetables pose the biggest challenge for shoppers trying to save money. To avoid waste, don't overbuy at the market. It can be tempting to pick up extra vegetables from the produce aisle, but veggies spoil quickly. Instead, buy just what you need for the next few days, and use up what you have before buying more.
4. One of the best ways to save money and reduce waste is to keep your meals simple. Versatile food items such as grilled meat or fish, steamed vegetables, and simple salads can work well any night of the week for dinner. Leftovers can be used for lunch the following day. Remember that reducing waste is the first step toward saving money while on a diet.
5. If you cook a big meal on the weekends and plan to eat the leftovers throughout the week, make sure you use airtight containers to prevent spoilage. Also, some foods may lose their appeal after one or two days. To make them more appetizing, use them as the base for another dish. For example, a roast chicken can be eaten for three to four days, and after that, you can use any leftover meat to make soup.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:08 PM   #142  

spillthebeans thats great. Thanks for posting it!
Old 07-21-2005, 07:45 PM   #143  

How is everyone doing?? Does anyone know if SB has a record you can buy so you can record your weight and what you eat? I know some diet plans have them but wasnt sure if SBD did.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:17 PM   #144  

Hi Phase oners..just popped by to cheer you all on... ..Hope your noticing that the cravings get less and less each day... To all of you ..Keep Going! One day at a time ... and with each meal you are getting healthier!

Kimberly..many of us here use www. Fitday.com to record weight, food eaten, activity and journalling.. The free version suits many of us just fine... There are others like www.DietPower.com ..30 day trial and then you have to pay... There's also calorieking and dairyland....I'm sure one of these can help you

It is real eyeopening to see what you are eating , % of fat/protein/carbs.. and to log your exercise... Hope this helps
Old 07-21-2005, 09:03 PM   #145  

I used to use fitday but didnt like entering things and looking up things. I didnt have the patience for it!
Old 07-22-2005, 11:53 AM   #146  

S/C/G: 211/211/140

Height: 5'4"

Schatzi thanks so much for your support for all of us Phase oners. Its very nearly Phase 2

I'm just starting to make my Menu for next week and I'm so scared to start P2.
I've found P1 pretty easy - as I've said before, I have never gone more than a day without having cravings to binge. Now its been 12 days and no cravings.

So, how is everyone preparing for P1?

Are you all as nervous as I am about it?

Oh and who would have ever guessed that they would miss FRUIT
I havent had cravings for it, but when I saw the strawberries and blueberries in the market yesterday - I realised I have missed them!
Old 07-22-2005, 11:29 PM   #147  
going places

Just wondering...are we going to have a 'starting phase II' thread??

I think a lot of us are probably aprehensive about moving to the next phase, I know I am.

I'm hoping that panic mode doesn't set in...lol.

Hope you all have a GREAT weekend!
Old 07-23-2005, 06:26 AM   #148  

I think most folks get a bit gun shy about moving to Phase 2... In fact some folks ease into it by what they call Phase 1.5 Here's some tips that you might find helpful
1) You really are going to continue eating the same phase 1 foods.. Make that the bulk of your meal planning.. but slowly add in phase 2 items. For example, some of us made the phase 2 leap with Breakfast items. I added Whole Wheat English muffin for breakfast.. or added fruit to my LF cottage cheese.

2) Be very aware of how your body responds to the phase 2 food item. For example, some folks learned that fruit in the AM set off daylong sugar cravings..and Some find that certain foods stall their weight loss..

3) Don't add a whole lot of phase 2 foods at once back into your food planning.. Perhaps select one meal a day where you add it... or one food type. And calories still count..

4) Plan on spending a lot (more) of time reading labels in the grocery store.. You still want items with 3 or less grms of sugar, Whole Wheat,100 % Grains.. Converted or Brown rice, Spelt or WW pasta, WW,multigrain,or 100%rye bread...old fashion oatmeal.

5) If you have a question or want to find out what products others are using... just send up an SOS in the "regular" rooms...You'll get more exposure and more responses there....

Here are links to Phase 2 Stickies for you...

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59321
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49549

Last edited by Schatzi; 07-23-2005 at 06:29 AM.
Old 07-23-2005, 07:49 AM   #149  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Schatzi, have I told you lately that I love you?
Old 07-23-2005, 11:50 AM   #150  
2blessed2Bstressed

S/C/G: 201/201/165

Height: 5'11"

Artemis: I'm with you, I also am missing blueberries and strawberries...I'm thinking some strawberries in my sf jello is going to be awesome! I would have never thought of that before...weird!

Schatzi, thanks for the p2 info. I don't have the bk, so all I know is what I've learned from these forums...thanks!

Hello ladies, how are we doing? I'm also scared of the P2, but am thinking I'll do more of a 1.5 deal :smile: I want to stay on p1, but am interested in having some fruits and rye bread (in moderation of course)
Closed Thread