South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 04-18-2021, 09:26 PM   #1  

Default April/May daily thread South Beach

Good evening everyone. Figured I would start a new thread for South beach diet. I am doing the original version. Anyone is welcome to joi n in.

Starting phase one today. Did really well but didn't exercise. Hoping to get movement in several times this week.
maral427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 01:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 206/173.8/140

Hi Maral427!
Thanks for starting up this thread. I have missed seeing South Beach postings. I am working on the original version of South Beach, too. I did it before successfully many, many years ago but gradually gained it back and more by overeating. I am in phase 2 and the weight is very slowly coming off, but I was 17 years younger in 2004 when I did it the first time.

I wish you great success and I hope that some others will post along with us!
MJMS
MJMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:34 AM   #3  

How did Day 2 go Maral427? I remember that Day 3 of Phase 1 could be the hardest. Lots of people used to talk about headaches and lethargy and referred to it as the "South Beach flu." They always advised making sure to get your dairy servings and beans to get over the hump and then the days got much easier afterward with their cravings for carbs and sugar diminishing greatly. I found that to be true, too. I didn't have such a great beachy day yesterday. I did well most of the day but got into some whole grain pita chips at night. Not such a good choice and too large a serving. Today will be better! I hope everyone has a beachy day!
Old 04-21-2021, 08:40 AM   #4  

good morning MJMS! so glad you joined in! i am so happy to see your posts!! When i transition from phase one to phase two is when i flop. Carbs even healthy ones really give me some difficulty. i have to be very careful. Any suggestions on how to transition?

I am starting day four this morning. so far doing well. i definitely have to meal prep and plan ahead of time to be successful. when i dont i end up eating things that pack on weight. i dont mind eating leftovers or the same things. this week i made a phase one tofu recipe (delicious) off of kaylyns kitchen website and cooked up some chicken breast to put in salads for lunches for work. monday i made baked salmon and steamed green beans. yesterday i had a phase one friendly chicken chili and a salad. tonight i am having taco salad with extra lean ground beef, using fat free greek yogurt instead of sour cream and spices from my spice rack.

i have not been doing good at all with moving. i have not been exercising. i need to start getting active again. i charged my fitbit today. i also have an exercise room set up in a spare room in my house. need to get in 30 minutes a day at least starting today.

MJMS thank you again for posting. Looking forward to getting to know you and reading your posts.

maral427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 12:37 PM   #5  

Hi Maral427!
Yes, the transitioning to Phase 2 can be difficult. Those carbs are a slippery slope for me, too. The posters here always advised not following the menus in the books, but adding one carb a day at a time and seeing if they set off cravings. That always made sense to me.

I am so glad that you are being successful! Planning ahead and cooking are where I have difficulty, too. If I don't have something that's quick and easy sometimes, I fall back into grazing and usually on the wrong things. Your menus sound delish!

It sounds like you have a great plan for getting started on your exercise. I always feel better when I get some movement in. It's so important.
Keep up the great work and I bet you will have a nice number of pounds lost in the phase 1!
Old 04-22-2021, 12:30 PM   #6  

Hi Maral427 and anybody else interested in the Beach and chatting! The scale was down a bit today, so that was nice to see. I lose very slowly and I tend to have a drop, then the scale goes back up and bounces a bit before it settles back down to a little lower weight where it seems to stay a few days. Very annoying but in the overall scheme of things, I am losing slowly. Hopefully it stays gone forever! I need to push the veggies more and get moving more, too. Those things always help.

Today is my second Pfizer shot. I can't wait! I am so looking forward to feeling a little bit more freedom to expand my pod!

I hope everybody has a great day on the Beach!
MJMS
Old 04-24-2021, 10:35 AM   #7  

Hello to anyone lurking!
Well, my weight did bounce back up a little, but it has settled at a spot lower than it has been. That's been my pattern. I have to remember to look at the big picture and not the day to day fluctuations. Down is good! As I said before, moving and pushing the produce is what works in the long run.
Hope everyone has a great beachy day!
MJMS
Old 04-25-2021, 06:10 PM   #8  

Yesterday ended up being not so great for weight loss. Blah. Today is another day, though. So far, I am on track. I hope the scale appreciates my efforts . I know that if I stick with it, eventually the scale will show progress.

This used to be one of the most active forums on here, but I guess since the South Beach Diet went to a subscription plan with lots of prepackaged food, most people who are interested participate in the forum for subscribers. I looked over the program and read the latest South Beach book by Dr. Agatston, but they really don't fit my health goals like the older South Beach Supercharged diet book. Maybe some people will join in eventually? I hope so!

Have a great day on the Beach, everyone!
Old 04-25-2021, 11:08 PM   #9  
California licensed CPA!

S/C/G: 172/ticker/145

Height: 5'8

Hello! \

I, too, have restarted SBD phase one (original SBD) after a great weight loss experience in 2006! I had gone from 172 (I am 5’8 for reference) to 148 in a few months to be ready for my wedding. Slowly gained back over the years but not more, thankfully! I was hovering between 157 and 164 until the virus hit and drinking and eating were exaggerated. Omg I went back to 169 and then recently ate ramen and pizza and drank way too much whiskey for daughter’s 30th birthday and found myself at 172 this past Monday! I started that day and am currently on day 7 and down 6 pounds! I do realize most of it was water. Also, I have been doing a step workout in my living room a few times a week for the last month or so, but stepped it up to every day except for one day off and one day of lifting weights.

Weight this morning was 166.4

Here is what my menu has been today:
breakfast - tofu w/organic pizza sauce and shredded mozzarella (like pizza!)
lunch - turkey burger patty wrapped in lettuce w/mustard, tomato slice, pickles
dinner - my version of crack slaw: shredded cabbage, chicken breast, mushrooms, zucchini, lime infused olive oil, jalapeño white balsamic vinegar, and topped with light may and sriracha
dessert - I plan on having triple zero Oikos Greek yogurt with an ounce of almonds

I have been looking for an SBD thread that was active! We can do this!

Last edited by Syckgirlsfv; 04-25-2021 at 11:15 PM.
Syckgirlsfv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 10:01 AM   #10  

Another so-so Beach day for me yesterday. I got into too many of the whole grain pita chips. Grrr. I have to get them out of the house! I can't keep to a decent portion and they are full of sodium. So, too many carb portions and lots of water retention. But today WILL be better!

It's nice to "meet" you Syckgirlsfv! You are doing awesome on your phase 1. Congratulations on being down 6 pounds! Even if some of it is water weight, from where I am sitting right now with my bloat from the pita chips, losing that water sure would feel good. I originally did the Beach in 2004 and lost over 40 pounds. I kept it off for a long time but then slowly started regaining, so I now have that 40 plus about 5 more to go. I lost 25 pounds just before the pandemic, gained back 5 and have managed to drop those plus a couple more. Bottom line, I am looking at dropping about 45 more. I think I will be here awhile!

Hi to Maral427 and CrystalBelle! Have a great Monday on the Beach!
Old 04-26-2021, 12:28 PM   #11  
California licensed CPA!

morning hi MJMS! It sounds like you're on phase 2? I'll be happy to get there again, but I don't want to do that before Vegas really. I may add like a sweet potato or something but Vegas is going to be a bit of a derailment! I don't diet there and cocktails flow and food is amazing! Thankfully it's only for 2 nights. I was thinking when I get back I'll jump back on to phase 1 to ditch the water I'll be carrying from all the food and alcohol!

Monday morning and weight is still 166.4. It will be slower now since most of the water weight is gone but I'm okay with that. 13 days to Vegas! AND, I have a physical scheduled for Wednesday since I didn't have one last year. I am sure my doc will want a colonoscopy soon LOL just kidding I will be asleep for that!

so far today I'm just having coffee - 9 in the morning and I'm working from home. Thinking about tofu for breakfast (I really don't eat tofu this much but I had bought packages from Costco and don't want them to go bad...I have until the second week of May) Should I not eat it this much?

What are your thoughts on cauliflower pasta? I have some from a certain brand that I really like and the ingredients are just yellow lentil and cauliflower! Okay for phase 1? I also have cauliflower flat breads from the same company and ingredients are: cauliflower, egg whites, mozzarella, red pepper flakes, and garlic powder. I feel like the flat breads at least would be okay. Even the past sounds okay but very carby!

Will hit up Costco during my lunch - need to stock up on chicken breast, sirloin, string cheese or baby bel, other things for SBD. All in all doing well with phase 1! Back later for food reports!
Old 04-26-2021, 01:28 PM   #12  

Syckgirlsfv, you certainly have a great goal in a Vegas trip! It sounds like you will have a blast! But, it's definitely not diet land, lol, but most vacations aren't! You have a great plan to jump right back on plan when you get back, though.

I don't think that eating tofu everyday will hurt your progress. It hasn't seemed to, so far. I would think that the cauliflower pasta and the flat breads would be fine in phase 1. Beans are a good thing and so is cauliflower. Good luck at the Costco. I hope you come back with some money left for gambling in Vegas. I always spend way too much there!
Old 04-27-2021, 03:00 PM   #13  

Hi Beachers!
My weight is down a smidge, but not to the low that I had the other day. This is my pattern, though. Down, then up, then slowly down until I settle a little lower for a few days or even a week or so. Then it starts again. I need to remind myself that steadily down is good, even if it is painfully slow! Maybe I will keep it off better this time for the last time.

I just did a big veggie prep. Cleaned and sliced carrots and celery. Sautéed some sliced Portobello mushrooms along with onion to serve as a side or to incorporate in my eggs or somewhere else. And I prepped stuffed peppers with lean ground meat, chopped onion, celery, mushrooms and red pepper. I used cauliflower rice, too. I tasted the filling and it was good, so I think the finished stuffed peppers will be good, too. I just need to bake them to get them hot later and maybe add more tomato sauce and some cheese sprinkled on top.

Have a nice beachy day today! the weather here is gorgeous! Sunny and low 70's. Perfect!
Old 04-27-2021, 09:21 PM   #14  
California licensed CPA!

Hello! Those stuffed peppers sound fantastic!

still going good, but ended up in the 24/7 pharmacy late last night for antibiotics and pain meds for a UTI it sucked! Haven’t had one of those in over 20 years.

weight no change - 166.4. I have a physical tomorrow. Oh the joy

food so far today: breakfast - 3 slices Canadian bacon, slice lacy swiss, and mustard wrapped in crepini
Lunch - chicken breast, shredded cabbage, mushrooms, zucchini, light may, sriracha
Snack - cucumber salad
just finished step workout and thinking about what to eat for dinner
Old 04-27-2021, 09:47 PM   #15  

The stuffed peppers did turn out to be tasty! I also tried cooking spaghetti squash in the air fryer. It turned out to be less moist than microwaving it, which is what I usually do, and I think I liked the texture better. I have done it in the Instant Pot, too, but didn't find that there was any advantage there really, especially if the Instant Pot isn't already on the counter.

Syckgirlsfv, that is awful about the UTI! I hope the meds kick in quickly and it goes away fast. Excellent job getting a step workout in, especially since you are not feeling well. Your meals and snacks today sound like they were delish and satisfying. I hope your dinner is good, too. Las Vegas is coming soon!