South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-01-2011, 01:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 202/183/150

Height: 5'8"

Default Sugar Free Marshmallows?

So I want to make sugar free s'mores for a once in a while treat. So I know there's a homemade graham cracker recipe on here and I can get sf chocolate, but what i'm missing is the marshmallow! Does anyone happen to have a recipe on hand?
maita88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #2  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Wow, I learn something new every day here. I was ready to say it wasn't possible, but I googled and found a recipe that uses agave (so it's not actually sugar-free) also a recipe that uses sugar replacer (but also egg whites so I wonder if it ends up more like a meringue.) Also saw versions available for purchase. Who knew? (well, maybe everyone but me...)

I would love to try to make some from real marsh mallow plant - no gelatin required - but I have never even seen that.

Have fun whatever you try!
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I just want to pop my head in here and say that agave "nectar" can be nearly pure fructose... HFCS is actually only about 50% fructose (and pure cane sugar is metabolized into about 50% fructose, so HFCS and table sugar are about equally bad from the fructose point of view).

So, if you are trying to stay away from fructose, or just the calories in sugar, you would want to steer clear of the agave.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:01 PM   #4  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Marsh mallows grow wild around here but I've never done anything with them (though I do have some in my perennial bed). I don't eat gelatin so now you've got me curious

Agave is considered low glycemic and diabetic safe so used by some Beachers.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

Walden Farms has a 0/0/0 marshmellow dip. I have not tried it, so I don't know how good it is.
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:19 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyndiM View Post
Agave is considered low glycemic and diabetic safe so used by some Beachers.
Fructose (and therefore agave) is low glycemic. It has a different metabolic pathway. However, there are real concerns about that metabolic pathway. If you are choosing fructose as part of a healthy WOE, I'd strongly encourage you to watch "Sugar, the Bitter Truth" if you haven't already. It's pretty long and gets technical, so the oversimplified exec summary is this: table sugar is bad for you primarily because when it's metabolized, half of it becomes fructose (this isn't true of other sugars, e.g. lactose and of course glucose). And it turns out that fructose is metabolized in the liver into fats that can cause problems. While it doesn't provoke insulin spikes, it's good to be informed about the tradeoffs, (including the possibility of making diabetes/IR worse).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Last edited by yoyoma; 08-02-2011 at 06:22 AM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:36 AM   #7  
Working on healthy

Thanks for the link. There are certainly differing opinions about agave just as there are about sugar, splenda, aspartame, stevia, etc. It's up to each of us to do our research and make the best choice for us. From the South Beach perspective glycemic index and amount of processing are big factors in that decision.

And now back to marshmallows

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma View Post
Fructose (and therefore agave) is low glycemic. It has a different metabolic pathway. However, there are real concerns about that metabolic pathway. If you are choosing fructose as part of a healthy WOE, I'd strongly encourage you to watch "Sugar, the Bitter Truth" if you haven't already. It's pretty long and gets technical, so the oversimplified exec summary is this: table sugar is bad for you primarily because when it's metabolized, half of it becomes fructose (this isn't true of other sugars, e.g. lactose and of course glucose). And it turns out that fructose is metabolized in the liver into fats that can cause problems. While it doesn't provoke insulin spikes, it's good to be informed about the tradeoffs, (including the possibility of making diabetes/IR worse).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Last edited by CyndiM; 08-02-2011 at 06:37 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:46 AM   #8  

I think marshmallows count as a "processed food."

Last edited by Mmckellen; 08-02-2011 at 06:46 AM.
Mmckellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:49 AM   #9  
Working on healthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmckellen View Post
I think marshmallows count as a "processed food."
I think the OP was hoping for a recipe to make her own
Old 08-02-2011, 07:09 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 202/183/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyndiM View Post
I think the OP was hoping for a recipe to make her own
That was my plan. I don't plan on doing it very often, maybe once every year, but I just wanted to see if there were actual recipes I could use that wouldn't throw me off my weight loss.
maita88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:43 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 282/276/135

Height: 5'6

I've bought sugar free (Splenda sweetened) vegan marshmallows at a local health food store before, so you should check local stores in case they have some. Unfortunately I can't remember the brand (I don't eat marshmallows usually, so I haven't had it since 2006).
beachmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote