South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 08-20-2009, 01:56 AM   #181  
Nutrisystem

S/C/G: 191/191/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Default Marinades

Hello all,
First thank you again for all your answers on avacados. We almost completed our grocery shopping to start this incredable way of eating. I am official on next Tuesday. Still reading the book and enjoying it a lot. I even took it with me shopping.

Here is my question: We bought some beautiful flank steak at Costco today. I need some great marinades for it that are tasty. I could not find any on the recipe file or in the South Beach recipe books. Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am so glad I joined this group. I was on others, but this one by far is the best and this is the way I have to live my life.

Thank you again,
Melanie in Colorado
Melsie52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:11 AM   #182  
Beach Babe in Training

S/C/G: 185.8/180.2/145

Height: 5' 9"

Melanie, here's a recipe from the SBD website:

Ingredients
1/3 small red onion, quartered
1 3/4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 1/3 tablespoons capers, drained
2/3 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
1 cloves garlic, minced
1⁄2 pound flank steak
dash of salt
dash of coarsely ground black pepper

Instructions
Sliver one-quarter of the onion and set aside. Chop the rest of the onion. Mix it in a bowl with the vinegar, capers, oregano, and garlic. Combine 1⁄4 cup of this mixture with the slivered onions and set aside.

Sprinkle both sides of the steak with the salt and pepper; prick well with a fork. In a large zip-top food-storage bag, combine the steak with the remaining onion mixture. Marinate for 1 hour or overnight.

Heat the grill or the broiler, positioning the oven broiler rack so that the meat on the rack in the pan is 4" from the heat source. Remove the meat from the marinade, and place on the grill over direct heat or on an oven rack set in the broiler pan. Discard the marinade. Grill or broil for 4–5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.

Place the meat on a platter and pour the reserved onion mixture over the steak.

Nutritional Information:
176 calories
9 total fat (4 g sat)
50 mg cholesterol
3 g carbohydrate
19 g protein
1 g fiber
230 mg sodium

Let me know if you use this, I've been wanting a flank steak recipe as well!
CindieJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:51 AM   #183  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Here is the marinade I like to use:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/entr...ase-1-2-a.html
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:40 PM   #184  
Nutrisystem

S/C/G: 191/191/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Wink Thank You

Thank you both so much. I will let you know how they both work. I will be trying this next week. You are both so kind for replying so fast. I will also offer some recipes as I go through this adventure. I love to cook. It will be great in the fall to try some stews and crockpot recipes.

Melanie in Colorado
Melsie52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:45 AM   #185  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Please be sure to post any recipes in the Recipe Section and thanks for the reminder about flank steak! It's hard to find around here but I do have one in the freezer and will put it in a marinade over the weekend. So great for fajitas!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:02 AM   #186  

Default Starting on Monday

Hi everyone! I read this whole thread! My hubby and I tried SB before, but didn't stick to it. But we are starting again on Monday, and I'm actually really excited! I plan on going grocery shopping on Sunday.... any suggestions for something I may not have on my list? I have the basics... chicken, eggs, yogurt.... I can't wait to see some weight start coming off!
texasmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:56 PM   #187  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmama View Post
. any suggestions for something I may not have on my list? I have the basics... chicken, eggs, yogurt....
Just print off the Phase I list from the FAQ's in the SB forum and take it with you to the store. That's what I did when I first started SB.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:03 PM   #188  
Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 249/ticker/179

Height: 5'11"

Hi Everyone! I just found this form recently and I will be started South Beach tomorrow. I have been on Atkins for a very long time on and off now. About the half way point in my weightloss, I began a vicious cheat/eat clean cycle with it. I felt I needed something more holistic. South Beach just seems great.

I will admit it is very different from Atkins in the sense that there are way more food choices. Beans from day one!? I'm actually nervous about eating beans and yogurt from the get go, but from what I see and hear, this plan works!

I'm also starting Slim in 6 once I get a handle on how this works. I have printed off the P1 acceptable foods list and will be taking that to the store tonight.
Glamazon08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:05 PM   #189  

Welcome aboard GLAMAZON08 and TEXASMAMA!!!
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:00 AM   #190  
Wonder Woman

Thanks, Sunshine! Happy to have found this place.

Well today is day 1 of Phase 1.

DH is doing this with me so it makes things a lot easier. Breakfast was a mexican egg scramble:

1/2 onion, 1 clove garlic, 2 roasted red peppers, 2 oz lean ham sauteed in 1 tsp. olive oil with chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, and chipotle powder. When the veggies got soft I added 4 eggs, scrambled them through, then topped with reduced fat colby jack, fresh salsa, and a T. of reduced fat sour cream.

I keep checking everything because it seems too good to be true! But everything I ate for breakfast is on the P1 list. I like eating veggies for breakfast. The biggest difference for me between Atkins and South Beach is the Veggies. You can only have a fraction of the veggies on Atkins. Which is too bad since they add so much variety to food.

I have turkey breast filets in the fridge as well as a flank steak. I think I am going to grill up the turkey for a big salad for lunch and then make fajitas (sans tortilla) with the flank steak for dinner using red bell peppers and onions.

I am trying to prepare for us going home to see family in like a week and a half. Does anyone have any advice on traveling and dealing with unhealthy family meals? Thanks!
Old 08-23-2009, 10:41 AM   #191  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamazon08 View Post
I am trying to prepare for us going home to see family in like a week and a half. Does anyone have any advice on traveling and dealing with unhealthy family meals? Thanks!
Here is a link where you can post your concerns about your upcoming trip. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/sbd-...real-life.html

It might help if you could be specific to your situation.

Sounds like you're doing great.

Best Wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:57 AM   #192  
Wonder Woman

Thanks, Lexxiss. That thread actually addresses most of my own concerns - which really helps.

I don't really know if I can be more specific - other than my family makes unhealthy food when we come to visit and I need to have right mindset going into it that this is a way of life - and reading the above thread - it's so clear that there will always be birthdays and celebrations, I just have to learn how to deal with them. Thanks again!

Last edited by Glamazon08; 08-23-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:08 PM   #193  

Thanks for the welcome!!! I found lots of yummy recipes on here and in the SB cookbooks, so I planned every dinner for the next week and went to the grocery store today.... apparently I like mushrooms a WHOLE lot, LOL! I have 6 pkgs of them in the fridge for this week!

Glamazon... my hubby is doing this with me, too! Hopefully that will make it a little easier. I'm excited to get started tomorrow!
texasmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:27 PM   #194  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamazon08 View Post
Thanks, Sunshine! Happy to have found this place.
You're welcome. And yes, this is the other happiest place on Earth.

Quote:
texasmama Thanks for the welcome!!! I found lots of yummy recipes on here and in the SB cookbooks, so I planned every dinner for the next week and went to the grocery store today.... apparently I like mushrooms a WHOLE lot, LOL! I have 6 pkgs of them in the fridge for this week!
You're welcome. I so love the SB cookbooks. I want to get the summer one. Maybe I'll treat myself to that one soon. Pre-planning makes all the difference in the world for me. Which reminds me, I need to plan my menu so I can stock up on what I need tomorrow.

Enjoy ladies and hubbies too!
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:18 PM   #195  
Wonder Woman

I haven't really checked out the cookbooks - I need to!

I just had supper, and I keep checking the book to make sure I'm doing this right. The food is SO good!!!

I ended up finding some lean turkey burgers (Jenny-O) so we had those for supper with probably 1/4 cup reduced fat mexican blend cheese, salsa, and 1/2 cup FF refried beans on top... like a mexican burger. It was SO good and SO filling. I think I'm taking the leftover burger for lunch tomorrow. I cannot believe this is allowed on phase 1.

I didn't have my nut allowance today, so I even have room for a fudgesicle mixed with PB and FF coolwhip. Devine!

I also made a quiche - from a recipe I found here. I was able to find some really lean organic chicken bfast sausage (60 cals/3.5 g of fat per link) so I used that with a huge onion and a huge bell pepper - sauteed that up in 1/2 T. EVOO - put it in an 8x8 pan, then sprinkled that with 1/2 cup reduced fat colby jack, then whipped 5 eggs together with 1/2 cup FF cottage cheese and poured that on top. Im having that for breakfast tomorrow - I'm hoping it's as good as it looks.