PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:25 PM   #1  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Default June 2011 PCOS Support Thread

The old May 2011 support thread is here.

Wahoo! New month! Let's round up!

And don't forget to exercise in June and add your minutes!
  • Who's here this month?
  • How are you?
  • What are you working on?
  • How was last month?
  • How's your PCOS management going?

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 05-31-2011 at 10:32 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:39 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Who's here this month?

Me, Astrophe -- rhymes with catastrophe.

How are you?

Still a little worn out but a lot better. School ends soon and that will help also with stuff. I'm trying to take summer as super low key time -- or at least as much as I can.

What are you working on?
  • Dropping milk and wheat. So hard!
  • Getting more aggressive with exercise, that's always my weak area. Been wearing my fit bit at last and it is embarassingly LOW on my daily steps! I have to move more!

Milk is easier -- I've managed that before. But the wheat -- I do ok, then I'm right back. It's like I'm addicted or something. Ugh.

How was last month?

May was better than April for sure! While we still are coping with managing dad's eldercare, we slowly find the "new normal." The stress is lowering.

How's your PCOS management going?

My labs came back mostly ok, but needs an eye on elevated liver and then my LDL still is a bit high. The rest seems stable and the deficient b12 and d3 are much better and my energy is better too.

But I'm ready to try something else. I'm still trying to book acupuncture and been reading more about treating this with Traditional Chinese Medicine. At 35 going on 36 -- I think I want a BCP break. Been on it (more or less) for 20 years now... so I'm not sure if it's another break or time to put it away for good.

Doc wants me on Met still but I'll see what the acupuncturist/TCM doc says.

Right now I'm just taking my levoxyl, multivit, vit b12, vit d3, fish oil, for sure... and sometimes chromium/cinnamon when I remember.

I started taking an herbalism class too -- always been an interest of mine. So it was nice to be able to do something just for ME and not for my fam or my parents in eldercare world or church or school or whatever.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 05-31-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 332/309/180

Height: 5'6"

I'm here. I'm also new. I gave up on having kids a long time ago. We adopted and I have since had the uteral ablasion (Novasure) procedure. So no more battling that horrid time of the month. Now I am just concentrating on my health and weight. I am currently taking Victoza and have lost 23 lbs in 5 weeks. I start Metformin tomorrow and I am also starting a Pilates/Yoga class tomorrow.
mardigrasqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:05 AM   #4  

S/C/G: See tracker

Height: 5'5"

* Who's here this month?
I'm in. May not be a diligent poster but I haven't given up the battle yet.

* How are you?
I'd rather not go there

* What are you working on?
Food-wise: Trying to keep my daily carbs as low as 150 grams and may calories between 1200 and 1600.
Exercise: Trying to get in 1 hour a day x 4-5 days a week of cardio and weight training.

* How was last month? * How's your PCOS management going?
May was better for me too. Stopped taking Actos April. Got a late period (most painful period I had in a long while, I was bleeding 'chunks' of flesh if that's even possible) but I'm back on it again.
Hoping that reducing carb intake and exercising will help with the weight-loss. Want to introduce Cinnamon supplement & maybe chromium at some point this month to aid with PCOS control & weight loss.

I may not update as often as I'd like but will keep you posted on weight-loss if any Good luck with June all!
JigglyBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:06 AM   #5  

S/C/G: See tracker

^ that was my 666th post :S ^
JigglyBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 151/145/125

Height: 5'6

Who's here this month?

Nina, Pretty ballerina... god I hate that song.

How are you?
Terrible.. I feel fat & ugly

What are you working on?
Started Cinnamon & Chromium supplements this week.

How was last month? * How's your PCOS management going?
I have been taking corticosteroids (dexamethasone) to bring my dhea-s levels down. Those little pills are so evil and I can't stop gaining weight from it.. I am up to 158lbs right now and that is the heaviest I have ever been in my entire life. However, the steroids have been helping me ovulate by myself and the quality of my cycle has been getting better.. It took me only 42 days to have a real period this time.

My next appointment with the endocrinologist is on tuesday and I am praying & hoping that he will tell me that I can off the steroids. He will also be discussing birthcontrol options with me.
nina125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:52 PM   #7  
Pcos ,,,sufferer

S/C/G: 140/138/120

I am new...I have been dealing with pcos for a while now (over 10yrs) and now i been having alot of break through bleeding...(hate it)..I am finally going to try accupuncture on Monday....did accupuncture before for migraines and it helped so i am very hopeful...
shasha19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:17 PM   #8  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

shasha19: Let me know how that accupuncture goes! I'm still looking.

Checking In. CD 40 and counting. Not preggo, just off BCP and I've always been irregular.

DH claims I'm moody. I didn't feel moody until we got into an argument. I think HE was moody and then we got into a quibble. We worked it out and noted it in my chart -- because who knows? Maybe I AM being moody and not seeing it? Wouldn't be the first time.

I know there's the ongoing eldercare stress over here too. So really, I'm not mad, and neither is he... I think we both just got pent up "yaaaaahhrrrghhhh!" or something. At least we cleared the air.

My new vitamins came in so I'm giving them a whirl. I changed from Rainbow Light prentals (my doc wanted me to have extra iron) to the Rainbow light hormone balance blend.

I don't know if it will make a difference over time but we'll see.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 06-03-2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:09 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 217/ticker/115

Height: 5'0"

Who's here this month?
I'm new. I hope you don't mind me joining your support thread.

How are you?
I've had PCOS for nearly 16 years. I was diagnosed with it back when doctors barely diagnosed it and mostly guessed at treating it. I've been on Metformin (1500mg) for almost 10 years now and while I loathe the upset stomach (not as bad with the extended release) it has really helped my symptoms. My cycles are regular and my ovaries are cyst free. My long term goal is to lose enough weight so I can end the Metformin.

What are you working on?
Beating my carb addiction...sigh...I LOVE carbs. They're so evil, yet they call to me. My DH (who has all of 2.5 pounds to lose, LOL!) is my rock and as the cook in the family, he's helping me by being super diligent about what he cooks for dinner. I also found an awesome APP for my smartphone called "My Fitness Pal" where I can record my daily weight and track everything I've eaten. I love the amount of accountability it forces upon me. My DH downloaded it for his phone too and we've been tracking ourselves and comparing notes. I love how it shows where my daily shortfalls are (for example, I just realized I'm not eating enough potassium) so I can figure out how to counteract it.

How was last month? * How's your PCOS management going?
I just recommitted myself to kicking my carb addiction in May. I'm hesitant to call it a 'diet' because I know that it has to be a total lifestyle change in order for me to reach my long term Metformin-free goal and maintain a healthy weight. My PCOS is mostly in remission, as long as I'm taking the Metformin. I just want to get there naturally by shedding the weight.
dogdaysofdiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:52 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 310/288/235

Height: 5'9"

Who's here this month?
I'm Mary, I'm new!
I'm so excited that there is a whole section on this site dedicated to PCOS. I was told about two years ago that I have PCOS and I didn't know what to do. Not sure who to turn to, none of my friends understand or wanted to help me research. I just felt lost.

•How are you?
I'm doing great! Working a lot, and I've lost 20 pounds so far on my journey!!!

•What are you working on?
Weight lose and managing my PCOS. I've learned so much just from stalking this forum on things I can do organic to manage this issue without having to try the route I'm so against... which is all the medications and test and such.

•How was last month?
Last month was the most amazing part of my journey so many accomplishments.

•How's your PCOS management going?
I'm new to learning to manage.. I'm working on it
mhill0823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 03:44 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Who's here this month?

I'm here, just barely. Work has been non-stop and absolutely crazy. Add my generally full life and I really haven't had time to check in on here or post much. It's been a lot of hit and runs when I can find a few seconds here or there.

In fact, I have a million things to do still but I need to procrastinate a bit, so here I am.

How are you?

Right, feeling a bit overwhelmed. I'm tired. Physically. I've been traveling. I'm doing okay. I just have a lot on my plate right now and I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel just yet.

What are you working on?

Right now, eating healthy. I want to lose the two-three pounds I've gained, but it's really about eating healthy. I've been pushing myself a lot, so I want to eat healthy to stay healthy. I can't handle getting sick again.

How was last month?

May was a crazy month too. It's going to be like this for a while. I wanted to get down to 160 by the end of this month, but that's off the plate right now. I can't handle losing weight and traveling and working so much. My goal right now is to maintain.

In May, really, end of April, I gained those 2-3 lbs that I need to shed again. I don't know if I just weighed in artificially low or what, but regardless, I want to be under 165 again. I was at 167 this morning!

Good. I'm still taking all my vitamins and supplements and I went to the endo last month who is supposed to call me some day to tell me about my test results.

I'll know better how I've been doing once I get those test results back. But in terms of the PCOS stuff I can keep track of, I've been pretty good, despite all the travel. My period is at about 35 days, which is within normal ranges, nothing crazy in the extra hair side or oily skin or stuff. I am still at a steady weight (despite being up a couple of pounds) and my cravings for simple carbs is contained by the vitamin mix that I take.

I feel better when I eat better. I've had the thought of eating a bag of cheetos because I used to love them so much. But I don't. And I'm glad I don't because it just doesn't help my body. Having so much energy and feeling so good about myself is totally worth it. Eating crappy stuff is just not worth it.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:25 PM   #12  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Who's here this month?

I'm here, intermittently, just like my eating plan. I check in when I've been in denial about PCOS, go off-plan on the eating and struggle with not losing.

How are you?

I feel really good, physically. Am finding that sticking to a Paleolithic food list is best for me. I feel energized.

What are you working on?

Right now, getting back to cutting carbs. I thought that my body would let me have a few more carbs since I've lost more weight. I was assuming that I would be lest carb-sensitive. I was wrong!

How was last month?

I maintained my weight, so I'm happy to know that it's still possible. Discovered that cutting protein made me really hungry. Am in a constant state of learning how to deal with stress.

I too am still taking all my vitamins and supplements. I'm wondering how PCOS affects menopause. Or visa versa. Not sure where to find that info.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:26 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 224/146/147

Height: 5"2

•Who's here this month?
me

•How are you?
full up with a cold but glad my exams are over and done with

•What are you working on?
losing half a stone

•How was last month?
stressful with exams

•How's your PCOS management going?
went to see the consultant today they said everything looked fine down there and that my scan did show pcos tendancies but not enough to diagnoise me properly. They have given me tablets to take when im on my time of the month to help with pain and lessen the bleeding and they want to see me in 6 months time to see if they are working and if they are they will properly leave it but if they dont then they will do a minor op to see if i got endimitriosis xxx
ems81wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:53 AM   #14  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

dogdaysofdiets: My doc wants me to lower the carbs too -- so I'm with ya there!

mhill0823:
Welcome! It's a friendly bunch so jump in!

Rana: You sound way busy! Hang in there. Hope the results come back good!

geoblewis: Great that you checked in. I wonder about the menopause thing too. Let us know if you find anything!

ems81wales:
Yay! No more tests! Hope the cold thing goes fast and you feel better. Glad you saw the doc and got tablets... hopefully you'll get more explanations when you get to the 6 mos mark.

MY CHECK IN:

Well, I sprained my ankle cleaning house. So not exercising fully just yet.

Saw the doc for my annual PAP and stuff. Going to do a sleep study to see if I have sleep apnea. DH says I snore terribly and I'm not getting good rest. I chalked that up the eldercare stress but... alright. I'll go do a study to make sure.

My GP wants me to hit 1500 calories and reduce closer to 100 g carb a day. She at least is giving me some targets -- my endoc is too vague there for me. Just "oh, try to lose" stuff. Once I get new insurance sorted out I think I might be looking for a new endoc. Sigh.

In general doing ok emotionally and all. Just a bit sidelined physically with the foot. Beware of cleaning garages!

A.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:53 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Hello everyone!

astrophe -- please, take care of yourself! No more sickness OR bruises!

I haven't heard back from the endoc, so I need to call them up and ask. They are usually very quick to getting back to me, but I think they've been upgrading their IT system and stuff falls through the cracks!

Still exercising, preparing for the dance performance, I still have so much work!
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote