Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #196  

S/C/G: 239.5/see ticker/165

Height: 5'4"

Patzi, whatever you decide do not let that one person influence you. I wish you were at my center giving the talk. I think many people will benefit from your knowledge even if that one person didn't want to hear it. It might also not have been personal. She might just have been having an exceptionally bad day (doesn't make it right and I'm not agreeing with what she did) and struggling more than usual. The center you attend must feel strongly that you would benefit the other patrons or they would not be continuely asking you to speak to them. I believe your insight to how you manage to succeed where others fail will be a huge asset to these people.

Last edited by Fluffy in Florida; 03-15-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #197  

Patzi-I echo exactly what bigdog said...no matter if people are asking for your advice on weight loss or on maintenance, you will always have those not willing to pay the price and even try to downgrade you just so they don't feel so guilty for not wanting to do what needs to be done. i'm not a big Dr. Phil fan, but I love when he (and others) say..."If you do what you've always done, you're going to get what you've always had." If people want different results, they have to try a different approach. They need to hear different approaches. If you have 10 people in there, 8 may disregard everything you say. Some of them may be successful with their way, and that is great. but if you can help 2 people, your sharing will have been a success. People are constantly asking how I lost the weight, what I do, etc. Most just roll their eyes when I say "I've been eating better"...no one wants to, they just want the results. But I've now had 4 people truly starting to change their eating habits. For the couple hundred people that have viewed my blog and/or asked me in person that's not a real good percentage, but for those 4 people its awesome...i was inspired by a friend, now I've inspired 4, and hopefully they go on to inspire others. You can't worry about those that don't want to truly change...

Now that I'm on stabilization, I think your advice of adding in ONE thing at a time has been truly helpful. When you get that list of starches you can try, you could easily go crazy trying them...and I know many of them would lead me to overeat (I won't even go close to an animal cracker...those stupid things just seem to jump in my mouth). The one night I was going to try something new and couldn't measure it out is the one night I actually went overboard. But knowing my history of being on plan consistently (almost to a fault), my counselor knew and told me I wouldn't revert back to my own ways. Getting right back on plan is best advice you gave #2. Now I know there are some that can have a treat throughout program and do okay...but when they really look at it, it is actually a part of how they are PLANNING. They PLAN that one drink or whatever (my coworker on plan does this and is still very successful, she says she knows she wouldn't stick with it if she couldn't have one meal a week that isn't as strict). For me, I couldn't. I will start to experiment with treat meals once I'm officially on maintenance (2 more weeks).
Old 03-15-2012, 04:29 PM   #198  

Height: 5' 5"

Patzi, I have one word for that woman...Jealous! Don't give her the power to make you upset. She only wishes she was doing as well on maintenance as you are. I would take her with a grain of salt. If you want to give that talk, do it! If not, then don't. But don't let that one person influence your decision. As you can see from the responses, you already are helping a lot of people.

Case in point, I weighed in at lunch time and I had what I like to call a "Patzi Moment." If you saw my previous posts regarding the run I did over the weekend, my eating included carbs and then some. With a purpose, but nonetheless, I wasn't used to it. I also didn't get enough water in over the weekend. When I weighed in on Monday, the scales reflected a 2.5 pound gain. Yikes! So, I got right back in the game and disciplined myself. Carb loading was done and over. Time to get back to the green menu and water. Today, I've lost that 2.5 pounds. So, I'll take that net zero for the week. You've taught me that just because you may put on a few pounds due to diet modifications, that doesn't mean that can't come right back off. So...THANK YOU!!!!

Last edited by JenB72; 03-15-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:54 PM   #199  

I want to thank y'all for taking the time to answer my request. That was so kind and I do so appreciate it..

I wanted to say, I use to be an emotional eater, more so when sister initially got cancer and when daughter had stroke, and has been sick.. I would eat candy, and not one bar more than one and just keep eating and eating..Chips, by the bag, on and on. I decided when I went on MRC I either had to do this right this time, or forget it.. I had tried WW, South Beach, Healthy Inspirations and another one that I can't recall that MRC took over.Healthy Inspiration was expensive as was the other one, so I made up my mind after paying the amt. MRC wanted, I was going to do everything in my power to change my train of thought and trust me it was not easy. I was just sick of the yo yo syndrome, so I understand when you say certain things as I have been there. I am so glad that I could keep it together with all the upset in my life and get to where I am. So, all in all, I could not have done any of it without your help, as you went through it with me, and it is my pleasure if I can help someone in return. Again, thank you. I will do the talk sometime in April, depending on my work schedule.

Patzi
Old 03-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #200  

S/C/G: 192.5/163.4/160

Height: 5'8"

Hey Patzi,
It's funny that I only know you as someone who is maintaining, not someone who at one time struggled. I do recall you mentioning your daughter's medical problem once a while ago, but I never really connected it or knew that you had yo-yo'ed through other programs. Like me! You have transformed not just how you eat but how you think, how you cope and so much more. THAT is inspiring.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:05 PM   #201  

S/C/G: 230/197/165

Height: 5'6"

Does anyone use a handwritten journal book for their food journal? If so whet brand? Where do u purchase it..?
Old 03-16-2012, 03:53 AM   #202  

I made my own spreadsheet so I can fax it in, but when I'm on maintenance I'm going to use a "fitbook" to track my food and exercise...you can get them at target.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #203  
Motivated Member

S/C/G: 210/204/180

Weighed in this am after my free for all dessert and beer festival last sat to Monday and lost almost all the water weight. Have two more pounds to go! But I'll take care of that continuing to drink extra water, 4 HNSs a day and giant salads w lean protein. Oh I did forget to mention the Mich Ultra I was indulging in. I was with family and sorry to say but beer makes me happy and my 89 year old sweet dad wanted some "home brew" so how could I not have a couple with him? Lol

Camaswa. I did want to mention that I do not order the bariwise or protidiet protein bars any more. They are too good. I've been getting the Nutrisystem bars 18 g protein (at Big Lots). They are kind of chalky and not as tempting Keep in frig cut in quarters in sandwich bags so they are hard and not as chewy gooey and inviting like they would be otherwise. When I grab one in my mind that is a serving. So later in the day if I grab another quarter then it's actually half a bar

Kind of like I cannot have a gallon of ice cream in the freezer I would think about it all day! And eat it all day but individual sugar free fudge cicles will limit me to one a day (wonder if they have protein fudge cicles.)
Old 03-16-2012, 10:21 AM   #204  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcgina View Post
I made my own spreadsheet so I can fax it in, but when I'm on maintenance I'm going to use a "fitbook" to track my food and exercise...you can get them at target.
I got one of these too, they are great!
Old 03-16-2012, 11:25 AM   #205  

S/C/G: 234.5/158/165

Patzi - you are such an inspiration. I LOVE reading your posts and hearing your advice... it is so very helpful. I agree with everyone else that that woman was just being rude. Any mature adult would realize that sometimes, asking advice means that you won't always like what you hear. That's just part of it... owning what you eat and moving on.

I admire your drive and your attitude. I think MOST people on the weight loss journey would LOVE to hear what you have done so they can improve themselves. Asking for help is not an indication of weakness... we're all human and we mess up... it's an indication of want to do better, you know? Anyway, sorry I'm late on my response...crazy time at work...
Old 03-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #206  

S/C/G: 234.5/158/165

Default I'm baaacckkk!

Okay, this week has been the worst week for me, stress-wise and work-wise, since I stared MRC in August. The internet at work was down and I was the only one to fix it... had to work from 7 a.m. until 8 p.m. every night since Thursday... and one night... I just "had it".

I know this was a totally emotional response but on Tuesday night I drove to the nearest Taco Bell and at 1/2 of a 7 layer burrito... then drove to Sonic and had some sweet potato tots... thinking the whole time "I shouldn't be doing this..." I HATE how out-of-control I felt and that I let the stress get the best of me. And now, my WI at home yields a 2 1/2 pound gain! Yikes! Soooo not worth it, guys.

But, I got back on the wagon on Wednesday and have tried to stay on for the past few days... hopefully it will come off. But the added stress (which usually causes me to gain) along with the lack of sleep (another trigger) and TOM (going on 14 days now) combined horribly for me. I know it's not a valid excuse, but "it is what it is".

I'm just really sick with myself for what I did. And, I'm TERRIFIED of regaining the weight, but on the flip side I have dwelled on it so much that I think I need to move on and that the dwelling may be a good sign that I won't allow the behavior to continue, you know?

What do you guys think?
Old 03-16-2012, 11:51 AM   #207  
Idaho

Height: 5'7"

rachels77,

You definitely have the right attitude - slipped up, but got back on track.

I know I have to watch the cycle that sometimes gets me if I beat myself up too much. Slip up, then depressed about slipping up so driven to emotional eating, get back on track and then even more devastated if I slip up again....

You got this!
Old 03-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #208  

Default Caloric vs ketogenic

I would love to hear others' understanding of this concept. My counselor just told me that when you eat on and off program multiple times you cause your body to burn muscle instead of fat. And when you do that, your metabolism slows, so maintenance is ultimatey harder. Thus yo yo dieting is born.

At 165, I thought I was about at goal, but my bodyfat is 39#, which is not good. She said I should get below 30, which would have me at about 145. I don't know why this was never established when my goal was originally set, and she said it should have been.

This has me really rattled. I was thinking I was almost there and just needed to keep exercising to firm up. Now I think I need to really refocus on the program. But that is feeling depressing to me. I think I need to really understand the physiology better (help, Gina! We talked about this before, apparently I didn't quite get it). I didn't really get that going on and off program was slowing FAT loss and causing muscle loss.

What do others know about this?
Old 03-16-2012, 02:21 PM   #209  
bespectacled weirdo

S/C/G: 264/220.9/154

Height: 5 foot 4 inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaswa View Post
I would love to hear others' understanding of this concept. My counselor just told me that when you eat on and off program multiple times you cause your body to burn muscle instead of fat. And when you do that, your metabolism slows, so maintenance is ultimatey harder. Thus yo yo dieting is born.

At 165, I thought I was about at goal, but my bodyfat is 39#, which is not good. She said I should get below 30, which would have me at about 145. I don't know why this was never established when my goal was originally set, and she said it should have been.

This has me really rattled. I was thinking I was almost there and just needed to keep exercising to firm up. Now I think I need to really refocus on the program. But that is feeling depressing to me. I think I need to really understand the physiology better (help, Gina! We talked about this before, apparently I didn't quite get it). I didn't really get that going on and off program was slowing FAT loss and causing muscle loss.

What do others know about this?
I know that when I went in and they asked me what I wanted to to weigh, I told them 150, they said that with my muscle mass and bone structure my ideal weight should be between 154 and 182. I am honestly not sure why they did not go over that with you, or if you lost alot of muscles on the plan. We try (try being the key part here) to hit the gym for half an hour 3 times a week. The only time they have popped me back on the scale and run a current through me the said I have not lost any muscle mass.

I don't understand how getting on and off program too much switches you to burning mucle instead of fat. That does not make any sense to me if you are still taking your protien drinks to help preserve the muscle. If I was in your situation I would probably also just be going to the gym to tone up. Sorry i do not have better advice, but what you said just does not make alot of sense to me.

I guess the real question is how do you feel? How are your clothes fitting? Do you feel like you need to lose more or just try to build more muscle? Not to be rude, but it is your body, and some of us just have areas that are going to retain alot of fat (boobs, brain, etc) Although I think your center probably has your best intrest at heart, i also think you should consider your own feelings on the matter.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #210  

rachels77... In answer to the following..

I'm just really sick with myself for what I did. And, I'm TERRIFIED of regaining the weight, but on the flip side I have dwelled on it so much that I think I need to move on and that the dwelling may be a good sign that I won't allow the behavior to continue, you know?

What do you guys think?

I say do not be terrified, it is over with, hope you enjoyed it and go on. I really believe setback can be success if one learns from it, it really can, and this is not failure, let us call it a moment due to circumstances. Don't beat yourself up. Just start focusing as to what you can do to get back on program and you will be fine.. When you have a setback, shake it off and move on..Remember you are in charge here. Enjoy the weekend without any regrets..

Camaswa... I was told same about going on and off program. Only thing I can say is that the people that I know at center that went on and off program on a regular basis, are having a heck of a time with maintenance. I think they have not conditioned their mind differently with the diet and they have not focused on portions. One has to want to lose weight and do it right this time, and some have not made it there. Consultant told me a cheat here and there can be corrected , but to do on a regular basis is not good... I really don't know what else to say about this.

I have always journaled and also journal today in a small 4x6 spiral book I keep in my pocketbook.. I never have counted calories, when I hit maintenance and that does not mean that is right but it works for me, but I can become sloppy if I do not journal, and it has helped me find what I eat that is a problem for me.

Patzi
Closed Thread