Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #151  

Jen-how was the run? Was just a pre-race carb/protein meal enough? I know with runners I work with, for a race that long they would be adding in some more carbs for 3-4 days prior to build up their glycogen stores so they would have plenty of fuel. On metabalance I get a few more carbs and I can run about 3 miles without fatigue, but then I do notice a hunger spike the next day. That is the biggest thing I will need to play around with once I hit maintenance, having the right amount of carbs for longer runs/bikes/swims (pretty sure I'm going to do a tri at the end of summer).

faerychic-My longest plateu was in the 2-3 week range. Lots of water helped me break it...and just recognizing that my cycle plays a huge role and when I exercise I do hold water weight...but the tradeoff in how I feel and the change in my body composition are worth it (strength training has a bigger impact than cardio for me).

Went away with DH for an overnight trip...early anniversary celebration. I'm one week into metabalance stabilization (which is only 3 weeks) and have lost 2 lbs on stabilization. Friday night we planned on eating at the hotel "happy hour" (they had salad and stuff for "nachos", among other things). I knew I could make a big taco salad. Well, for the first time since Nov 1, I ate off plan. I had purposely not eaten any of my starches and one of my fruits earlier in the day, but I still had even more starch than I should have. And my biggest fear has been that once I had one of those "all out" meals, that's the way I'd want to eat all the time again. But I didn't. Today I woke up, kicked my own butt on the treadmill, and got right back to eating on plan. And my body didn't even want to go back to binging. (It was even somewhat happy I let it have a few more calories). It makes me feel so good to know that my body loves eating the healthy food and my habits have me loving salad and fish and broccoli, but also that I'm going to be able to handle the occasional, PLANNED treat meal without reverting back to consistent bad habits. Not sure if that made sense.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:43 AM   #152  

Went away with DH for an overnight trip...early anniversary celebration. I'm one week into metabalance stabilization (which is only 3 weeks) and have lost 2 lbs on stabilization. Friday night we planned on eating at the hotel "happy hour" (they had salad and stuff for "nachos", among other things). I knew I could make a big taco salad. Well, for the first time since Nov 1, I ate off plan. I had purposely not eaten any of my starches and one of my fruits earlier in the day, but I still had even more starch than I should have. And my biggest fear has been that once I had one of those "all out" meals, that's the way I'd want to eat all the time again. But I didn't. Today I woke up, kicked my own butt on the treadmill, and got right back to eating on plan. And my body didn't even want to go back to binging. (It was even somewhat happy I let it have a few more calories). It makes me feel so good to know that my body loves eating the healthy food and my habits have me loving salad and fish and broccoli, but also that I'm going to be able to handle the occasional, PLANNED treat meal without reverting back to consistent bad habits. Not sure if that made sense.[/QUOTE]

Nwcgina.....

You will be just fine, and this makes sense indeed. You made a choice , it has showed you the discipline you have learned while on MRC and you willl handle the occasional planned treat meal and will not revert back. I am so happy for you that you have come this far and with great determination and understanding of your body, how it works and what to do when you have a meal other than your usual way of eating.. The key for maintenance is you can eat anything you want, as long as it does not spiral out of control and
you revert back to consistent bad habits and feel guilty about what you ate.
Thanks for sharing this with the group..

Patzi

Last edited by patzi; 03-11-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #153  

S/C/G: 192.5/163.4/160

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcgina View Post
Jen-how was the run? Was just a pre-race carb/protein meal enough? I know with runners I work with, for a race that long they would be adding in some more carbs for 3-4 days prior to build up their glycogen stores so they would have plenty of fuel. On metabalance I get a few more carbs and I can run about 3 miles without fatigue, but then I do notice a hunger spike the next day. That is the biggest thing I will need to play around with once I hit maintenance, having the right amount of carbs for longer runs/bikes/swims (pretty sure I'm going to do a tri at the end of summer).

faerychic-My longest plateu was in the 2-3 week range. Lots of water helped me break it...and just recognizing that my cycle plays a huge role and when I exercise I do hold water weight...but the tradeoff in how I feel and the change in my body composition are worth it (strength training has a bigger impact than cardio for me).

Went away with DH for an overnight trip...early anniversary celebration. I'm one week into metabalance stabilization (which is only 3 weeks) and have lost 2 lbs on stabilization. Friday night we planned on eating at the hotel "happy hour" (they had salad and stuff for "nachos", among other things). I knew I could make a big taco salad. Well, for the first time since Nov 1, I ate off plan. I had purposely not eaten any of my starches and one of my fruits earlier in the day, but I still had even more starch than I should have. And my biggest fear has been that once I had one of those "all out" meals, that's the way I'd want to eat all the time again. But I didn't. Today I woke up, kicked my own butt on the treadmill, and got right back to eating on plan. And my body didn't even want to go back to binging. (It was even somewhat happy I let it have a few more calories). It makes me feel so good to know that my body loves eating the healthy food and my habits have me loving salad and fish and broccoli, but also that I'm going to be able to handle the occasional, PLANNED treat meal without reverting back to consistent bad habits. Not sure if that made sense.
Awesome! Totally echo Patzi's reply!
Old 03-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #154  

S/C/G: 192.5/163.4/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by faerychic View Post
176 and holding....................for 3 weeks now! I have had my issues with cheats and staying OP, but I committed to staying OP 3 weeks ago and have not dropped a pound since I have lost 16 pounds and have another 16 to go to be at my goal weight. I guess the good news though is that I have lost 27 inches (and I am getting my waist back LOL!)

What has been your longest plateau? and was there something you did to break it? My counselor doesn't seem too concerned - she thinks I will have a large drop in weight soon. I did start exercising this week so she thinks I may be holding on to some water weight.

Today is a beautiful day here in colorful Colorado.....hope you are all enjoying your weekend
How frustrating! Keep drinking water and dont give up. If you ever find yourself thinking why bother, remember that if you serously went off plan now, you would most surely gain. There are worse things that staying the same. You really will lose it soon.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #155  

Originally Posted by faerychic

176 and holding....................for 3 weeks now! I have had my issues with cheats and staying OP, but I committed to staying OP 3 weeks ago and have not dropped a pound since I have lost 16 pounds and have another 16 to go to be at my goal weight. I guess the good news though is that I have lost 27 inches (and I am getting my waist back LOL!)

What has been your longest plateau? and was there something you did to break it? My counselor doesn't seem too concerned - she thinks I will have a large drop in weight soon. I did start exercising this week so she thinks I may be holding on to some water weight.

Faerychic...

My longest plateau was two full weeks, and when I lost the weight it was .2 pounds. Take your journal into your consultant and tell her you want her to find out why you are not losing the weight. She may not be concerned, but it is her duty to find out what the problem is if you are 100% OP. Many times, you lose inches and no weight, but it is three weeks, so have them give your weight loss a push by something..I always insisted they find out what the problem was and to find a remedy for it. However, you have lost the inches, so that is a good amount of inches to lose.. Hang in there, it will come off, if you stay OP, it really will. I am at maintenance and have had non weight loss weeks, or weeks where I lost a tiny amount, but it all works out, I promise.. It is all worth it. If you are on the new Meta Slim green menu, you may want to go back to the original one, as there are some that are not losing weight on the new one. Just a suggestion, as each one is different.. If there is anything I can do for you please ask.

I noticed in paper they are advertising $49.00 for 4 weeks in case anyone needs additional weeks..

Hope everyone has a great day.

Patzi
Old 03-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #156  

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
The run was fun, although, I am hurting a bit today. I actually got emotional after it was over. I couldn't have run that race a year ago. It was my 6th time doing that particular one but it is the one I am most proud of and the one that meant the most to me.

In hindsight, not enough carbo loading which is funny to say given the meal plan we are on. I think I've been "deprived" of carbs for so long that 2 nights worth of carbs, and the morning of, just wasn't enough. By the end, I was sluggish and tired (not to mention cramping toes, first time that's ever happened), but the finish line being in sight kept me going. Anyway, I was extremely hungry afterwards. I had grilled chicken salads for lunch and dinner, but threw in some extra carbs just to settle my stomach. That was my other issue. I had an upset stomach after it was over. At least it wasn't during. That seems to have finally calmed down today now that I'm back OP. Like you, it's something I'm going to have to play around with during maintenance to find a plan that works for me on longer runs. I can run a couple of miles at lunch and I'm fine. It's the longer runs that will take some learning on how to handle.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #157  
bespectacled weirdo

S/C/G: 264/220.9/154

Height: 5 foot 4 inches

Lost another 2 pounds today at weigh in, though I am pretty sure at least 1 of those was water weight. Still, I will take it. Got to sign the 10 pound board. Came home and did a new "slim down" dvd from the bellytwins and it kicked my booty so hard. Ahh, workout video's, you never fail to put me in my place.

Now to go take a shower while hubby makes dinner, Lemon Chicken, tasty. I feel so stinky.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #158  

S/C/G: 242/215/165

Tonight will be my first attempt at cooking while on this program. A little nervous but have to branch away from just doing a protien, veggie and fruit with no thought to making it a meal. Wish me luck
Old 03-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #159  

Jen-I'm with you that I know it will take some time to figure out about how much I should be eating on long run/hard workout days, and even leading up to those workouts. But it's a fun place to be. And I just tell myself that one of the keys to keeping it off will be my love of exercise. I decided to stabilize before I hit the low end of my goal because I really need to start doing more to be ready for the warrior dash in june and then something longer the end of summer.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:35 AM   #160  

Quote:
Jen-I'm with you that I know it will take some time to figure out about how much I should be eating on long run/hard workout days, and even leading up to those workouts. But it's a fun place to be. And I just tell myself that one of the keys to keeping it off will be my love of exercise. I decided to stabilize before I hit the low end of my goal because I really need to start doing more to be ready for the warrior dash in june and then something longer the end of summer.
Gina, I found a couple of good articles on Runner's World. One deals with nutrition and the other is for GI issues. I figure it's a start on learning what to do.

Nutrition: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/...6686-F,00.html

GI Issues: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/...0005-0,00.html

I must say, I'm loving this lifestyle change. I think I've got my husband hooked on road races now, but with his schedule, he's only off every third Saturday so we'd have to find ones that fit his schedule. Now that he's done a 15K, he really wants to do a 5K since he could go much faster and wouldn't have to hold back and pace himself for a longer run. The best part, we'll be doing this as a family and setting a great example for our munchkin.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #161  
bespectacled weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarabeanne View Post
Tonight will be my first attempt at cooking while on this program. A little nervous but have to branch away from just doing a protien, veggie and fruit with no thought to making it a meal. Wish me luck
Good Luck!!
Old 03-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #162  
bespectacled weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenB72 View Post
Gina, I found a couple of good articles on Runner's World. One deals with nutrition and the other is for GI issues. I figure it's a start on learning what to do.

Nutrition: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/...6686-F,00.html

GI Issues: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/...0005-0,00.html

I must say, I'm loving this lifestyle change. I think I've got my husband hooked on road races now, but with his schedule, he's only off every third Saturday so we'd have to find ones that fit his schedule. Now that he's done a 15K, he really wants to do a 5K since he could go much faster and wouldn't have to hold back and pace himself for a longer run. The best part, we'll be doing this as a family and setting a great example for our munchkin.
I admire you for this. I cannot run...ok, I can run, but I run like a duck, so I just don't do it. That and I have a hard time finding a bra that will be supportive enough that I don't have to cross my arms over my chest when I run.

My hubby and I go to the gym together, and he does my workout video's with me, but running together (if I did run) is kind of out of the question. The difference in stride lengths is too much (he is 6'6 and I am 5'4) and the few times we tried he kept waiting for me to make sure I was ok.

Very much congratulations on your race, and on doing so well with the big changes.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #163  
Maintenance Member

S/C/G: 211/191/175

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarabeanne View Post
Buy the MRC cookbook! It helped me so much in the beginning I wasn't real creative on my own. There are many fun recipes in it, and you will find a few you really like that will probably be a staple throughout your journey. Takes the guesswork out of what to eat everyday! Just a recommendation
Old 03-13-2012, 10:37 AM   #164  
Maintenance Member

S/C/G: 211/191/175

Height: 5'5

Hello ladies!

Hanging in there...I have had a good "Maintenance" week. But, at my last WI her and I discussed my gonig back on Green temporarily if I want to drop what I gained in Mexico....wow, that is HARD! Now that I have gotten used to all of my additions, I quickly forget just how strict Green was! I think I prefer the old Green menu over the new one...even though my center has told me to just throw away the old...no longer being used. Well, that would be crazy since it worked! LOL

I so admire those of you that run...I am not a runner. But, I am interested in the work out videos. That I have never tried...just cardio mainly at the Gym with my hubby. Haven't really got back into strength training, but probably should do that, too. "One day at a time," right?

Have a great day all!
Old 03-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #165  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadreal View Post
I admire you for this. I cannot run...ok, I can run, but I run like a duck, so I just don't do it. That and I have a hard time finding a bra that will be supportive enough that I don't have to cross my arms over my chest when I run.

My hubby and I go to the gym together, and he does my workout video's with me, but running together (if I did run) is kind of out of the question. The difference in stride lengths is too much (he is 6'6 and I am 5'4) and the few times we tried he kept waiting for me to make sure I was ok.

Very much congratulations on your race, and on doing so well with the big changes.
I know what you mean about the stride lengths. My hubby is 6'2" and I'm 5'5". Next time, I prefer him to run ahead and leave me to my tunes. I tell him, unless you see the medics heading for me, I'm fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamikl View Post
I so admire those of you that run...I am not a runner. But, I am interested in the work out videos. That I have never tried...just cardio mainly at the Gym with my hubby. Haven't really got back into strength training, but probably should do that, too. "One day at a time," right?
That's right! You're moving and that's what counts. Whether it's running, being on an elliptical, walking, whatever...all that matters is just doing something. Keep up the great work!

Last edited by JenB72; 03-13-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Closed Thread