Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #181  

S/C/G: 192.5/163.4/160

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenB72 View Post
I've done some reading about this because I have the same problem. Is it possible you may have a glucose intolerance? This is something I found on the internet:

If you suffer from glucose intolerance, you may notice certain foods tend to trigger binge eating. When you consume carbohydrates, your body converts them to glucose. Your pancreas increases insulin secretions to remove the glucose from the blood stream. If you are glucose intolerant, the body does not recognize the added insulin. This causes blood insulin levels to rise, stimulating the appetite. If more simple carbohydrates are consumed, the cycle continues.

This is why I have to be extremely conscience of my "cheats." While a single extra slice of bread may seem like nothing to one person, to me, it's a chain reaction. One is not enough. I now recognize that if I put one thing in my mouth that's not OP, it starts a chain reaction and is a recipe for disaster.
Thanks, I do think this applies to me. I have PCOS and that sets you up for insulin issues. I don't always understand it all, but I do know my blood sugar plummets more dramatically than most other people I know. Also, I definitely gain on fewer carbs than many people I know. So there is something to it.... My sweet cravings are really intense at night. So wondering if that means my blood sugar is falling? Maybe I should save a creamy HNS for evening. And maybe not wait till I am craving...
Old 03-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #182  

Jen-that sounds way fun!! I definitely think runs that have an extra element of fun are worth any extra money. Like the warrior dash we are doing. I don't know if my body is up to a half (I have arthritis in my knees) but my sister wants me to try one this fall and/or my husband and I may do the rock n roll half in Nashville next year for our 10th anniversary. I've never run beyond 6, so that would be big. That's why I like the tri's...variety and it's easier on my knees. Ends up I have an upper respiratory infectin. First time in 8 years that I've actually broken down and gone to the doctor for soemthing beyond a checkup. So hopefully the antibiotics will have me running again before the weekend. I'll try to enjoy the 80+ degree day in a chair with a book. Oh, and you had talked about being an example for a munchkin...one of our family favorite exercise days is going to the local track and DH and I take turn running 400 m at a high speed. The kids can just run around the track or take a ball onto the field. Then we run stairs...and if we still have energy we play a little soccer with the kids. Hopefully it sets an example for our kids that fitness is important AND fun. I think my daughter will do her first 1 mile race this fall (a local small race has a 5K my husband does since I usually have to work...a "corn eaters" run for kids that's like a block, then a 1 mile run/walk. I think DD is ready and I'll run it with her since i don't have to work this year...maybe do the 5K too).
Old 03-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #183  

S/C/G: 175.5/155/148

Height: 5'7"

CAMASWA - do you ever use urine test strips? I know when I was diagnosed with diabetes eons ago, I had to do that every day. Now my doc wonders why I was ever given that diagnoses. Anyway, it will show if you are spilling too much sugar. I'm thinking about getting a small container myself - my cravings for crunchy/salty have gone crazy over the last month.

NWCGINA - hope you are well soon. Doctor has always told me, if you are congested neck up - you can exercise. If it is below your neck, no exercise until you are well.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #184  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetofishandrun View Post
CAMASWA - do you ever use urine test strips? I know when I was diagnosed with diabetes eons ago, I had to do that every day. Now my doc wonders why I was ever given that diagnoses. Anyway, it will show if you are spilling too much sugar. I'm thinking about getting a small container myself - my cravings for crunchy/salty have gone crazy over the last month.

NWCGINA - hope you are well soon. Doctor has always told me, if you are congested neck up - you can exercise. If it is below your neck, no exercise until you are well.
Actually, no, I never considered that. I will give it some thought. Kind of scary to think of diabetes
Old 03-14-2012, 08:39 PM   #185  

thanks, LOVESTOFISHANDRUN. I'd heard that, and tried to remind myself of that. One time I tried to run through chest congestion and ended up with the worst case of bronchitis and was out of running for a month. Yikes. So I sat msyelf in a chair and read. I KNOW it is best, but still disappointing. Took some benedryl so now I'm ready for bed at an early hour.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:11 PM   #186  
Motivated Member

S/C/G: 210/204/180

Default Chocolate fudge, ice cream, sundaes oh my

Road trip to see family and went hog wild. WTH! It all started with girl scout cookies........didn't plan ahead. We were staying in hotel not camping and traveling with three big dogs so didn't pack food because of limited space and they would have eaten it. Haha. Out to eat first night. Had chicken and shrimp. Left the potatoes. Actually ate half of dinner and gave rest to brother to take home. Then Sunday at family picnic had fried chicken. (took skin off) and left the macaroni and potato salad but ate more girl scout cookies, fudge and ice cream! Then on way back home got a hot fudge sundae! We did walk the dogs Sunday am and played baseball with my little grand nephew so a little activity. I do know if I don't have my protein bars handy I will eat whatever chocolate there is in the house! Got home Monday night and immediately started chugging water and had salad for dinner Back strictly on plan tues am and will weigh in tomorrow am. I weighed in mon nite for a reality check and it was not pretty. chocolate carbs are double devil Then and warning this is TMI. Crazy TOM w cramps which I normally don't have. Hoping it's not fibroid problems again.....

Camaswa. Re the protein bars. I have been guilty of eating them instead of meals. Had one for lunch today and yesterday had one for breakfast

Oh found another good dessert. Greek yogurt with strawberries and chocolate truffle powder sprinkled on top stirred in. Yum. I know I'm obsessed with it! Haha

Congrats everyone on the marathons and addl activity!! I am not a runner but admire those that are. I'm more of a kick boxer type. Do love speed walking but am a klutz running
Old 03-14-2012, 09:18 PM   #187  
Motivated Member

Default Chocolate fudge, ice cream, sundaes oh my

Road trip to see family and went hog wild. WTH! It all started with girl scout cookies........didn't plan ahead. We were staying in hotel not camping and traveling with three big dogs so didn't pack food because of limited space and they would have eaten it. Haha. Out to eat first night. Had chicken and shrimp. Left the potatoes. Actually ate half of dinner and gave rest to brother to take home. Then Sunday at family picnic had fried chicken. (took skin off) and left the macaroni and potato salad but ate more girl scout cookies, fudge and ice cream! Then on way back home got a hot fudge sundae! We did walk the dogs Sunday am and played baseball with my little grand nephew so a little activity. I do know if I don't have my protein bars handy I will eat whatever chocolate there is in the house! Got home Monday night and immediately started chugging water and had salad for dinner Back strictly on plan tues am and will weigh in tomorrow am. I weighed in mon nite for a reality check and it was not pretty. chocolate carbs are double devil Then and warning this is TMI. Crazy TOM w cramps which I normally don't have. Hoping it's not fibroid problems again.....

Camaswa. Re the protein bars. I have been guilty of eating them instead of meals. Had one for lunch today and yesterday had one for breakfast

Oh found another good dessert. Greek yogurt with strawberries and chocolate truffle powder sprinkled on top stirred in. Yum. I know I'm obsessed with it! Haha

Congrats everyone on the marathons and addl activity!! I am not a runner but admire those that are. I'm more of a kick boxer type. Do love speed walking but am a klutz running
Old 03-15-2012, 09:02 AM   #188  

Need some advise from you ladies.

I have been asked over and over by center and finally said I will TRY to give a date soon to talk to the maintenance group that meets at center once a week, as some are just out of control and they need help . Center wants me to talk to them about how I have maintained all this time...

If anyone is on maintenance or stabilization and is having a problem,would you be so kind to tell me what the problem is, for instance is it occasional binging, eating out of control,stress eating, and for those having a problem, did you binge eat or cheat when on the weight loss challenge.

For those that have maintained , may I ask about your success in maintenance or even stabilization.

The more I think about this, I don't know if I really will do it, as one may not want to hear what I have to say. I know I was talking to a member in waiting room a couple of weeks ago and said she was having a problem over eating in stabilization, and she said how did I manage it, and I saidI watched my trigger foods and I never ate the full amt. called for, ate half to see how it would react and if I gained on it, cut it back, if not included it. And her answer to me is oh my,are we not the perfect one and I just about cried.. So the more I talk to you, maybe I should not do this, but we are all friends here and would like your opinion . I sure don't think I am perfect. I found losing the weight quite a challenge and if it was not for this forum I would never have made it.

Thanks, Patzi
Old 03-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #189  

Bigdog, welcome back. And congratulations for daring to step on the scale right away. I still struggle to face reality when I know it's not going to be pretty. As a result, sometimes I'm slower to get back on track. And the funny thing is- often the number is not nearly as bad as I fear it will be.

I have an all-day meeting today at a hotel that has a mirco-brewery, of all things. (its Portland, what can I say) My plan is to eat extra protein for breakfast - Greek yogurt AND egg/toast. I can get a salad with chicken at lunch. Then I'm taking a meal replacement shake with me to sip on through the afternoon. You just know there will be bad stuff laid out at the breaks. My
goal is to not let my blood sugar plummet. If I do, the social hour at the end of the day will get the better of me. I have found I feel much better all day long with a bigger protein breakfast than even the green menu allows.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:20 AM   #190  

Patzi, pardon my language but screw that person. What an incredibly terrible thing to say to you. I am just fuming. That said, I would still encourage you to do it. The thing is, there is no such thing as being perfect. You eat, then you monitor, then you adjust. It's the secret everyone is going to have to learn. One thing I notice in your posts is that you don't seem to have the emotional eating issues that many of us do. You are able to approach maintenance with almost a scientific, analytical perspective. I would guess that person is really an emotional eater for whom food is just too connected to feelings to ever imagine herself as disciplined as you are.

All you can do is talk about what you have struggled with and how you have worked to identify and address your own obstacles. I would encourage you just to tell your own story, not frame it as advice.

Everyone has to face their own demons on this journey. Let us know what you decide!!
Old 03-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #191  
bespectacled weirdo

S/C/G: 264/220.9/154

Height: 5 foot 4 inches

Patzi, I am sure this is probably something you have heard before, but she was brobably just being a heifer becuase she was jealous. She looks at you, sees someone who has accomplished what she wants to accomplish and got defesive. Don't get me wrong, I probably would have called her every rude name in the book, and I do not feel sorry for her in the least. She asks your advice and then turns on you when it is not something she wants to hear. She probably envied your will power and ability to trial and error your way through maintenece and keep going.

That being said. If you want to speak to these other people, or if you don't, that is your choice and I would not let one sourpuss ruin the experince for you. In fact you may want to bring this up to your counselor as part of your concerns. There is no reason for people to be hateful to you, and hopefully your center will understand your choices and can, if you do decide to give a talk, keep this rude woman out of the area.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #192  

Patzi,
That was incredibly mean and rude of her! I think your maintenance is inspiring and would love to hear someone like you talk. I think you should make her remark part of your presentation. If it was me giving the talk I'd relate that incident and say something about how you're not perfect, but not willing to gain the weight back and this is your way of making it work. Let them know that it takes real effort and dedication to maintain. I am almost 54 years old and have never, ever maintained a big loss for an extended amount of time, so you are very inspiring to me. I read every one of your posts because I know I will learn something. You've really helped me see that it's not over once you hit goal, that in fact, the journey has just begun.
Chickadee
Old 03-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #193  
Maintenance Member

S/C/G: 211/191/175

Height: 5'5

Hi Patzi...

Well I couldn't agree more with the ladies who have offered you feedback here. You are an inspiration. You are very disciplined and this is why it is working for you. That dedication is a crucial ingredient to ultimate success. I really feel like those that are emotional eaters may have a tougher time at this program...as mentioned, it isn't about being perfect, but one must be in a healthy emotional place to handle temptations that will come.

When I quit smoking through a hospital program a few years ago, I was horrified when I was asked to be a co-facilitator of the group...then later asked to give my personal testimony to others. My journey was a spiritual one, and that was a hard one to share because people questioned why God helped me but didn't seem to be helping them. "What made me so special?" OF course, absolutely nothing made me more special than anyone else....the point here is that I feel like because of my success, I felt an obligation to be of help in any way I could be. That was my "give back" to whom I believe helped me to succeed in the first place...God. It was OUT of my comfort zone, but I did it because of that ONE person that just MIGHT be given hope by anything I shared.

I hope this makes sense...and of course you can do what you want. But, I certainly wouldn't allow a negative comment by one person keep you from the many others that could truly benefit from your advice and encouragement
Old 03-15-2012, 11:59 AM   #194  

S/C/G: 175.5/155/148

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaswa View Post
Actually, no, I never considered that. I will give it some thought. Kind of scary to think of diabetes
Oh, I wasn't suggesting you have diabetes. Just thought that might help in the evenings when your cravings hit. I'm having cravings between lunch and supper so I'm going to test just to see what is going on.

Last 2 weeks I have gained - puts me 10 lbs. from goal. We had family in for first part of March - hubby's daughter flew in to run half marathon on 3/4 with her dad so there were a lot of carb loading meals. 3 days after she flew home, my mom and sis came in for a mini family reunion - yikes. Been pushing water and think I'm eating right but feel like I have not lost. I think I'm going back to old green menu. Plus I have increased exercise so I will talk to counselor tomorrow. Good luck to everyone at WI's this week.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:48 PM   #195  
Motivated Member

You should definitely speak to the group. Look at how many of us you have helped. You are a true inspiration. Some people will ask me how I've lost weight and when I tell them they say. Oh I love carbs and I'll never cut back on them or I hate to exercise. I want to tell them. Well why askme if you dont want to change? And keep on feeling bad about yourself and gain more weight. Have fun. It's your life. I would tell the counselors your concerns. They should have your back to address any negative responses. I do think you will inspire the majority and that would be so rewarding.
Closed Thread