3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Metabolic Research Center (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/metabolic-research-center-228/)
-   -   January Thread (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/metabolic-research-center/220876-january-thread.html)

machaela 01-12-2011 09:54 AM

Thanks for all of the Birthday ideas, ladies! I think I should be able to limit my cravings that day. I know we are going out to a Japanese Steakhouse for dinner that night, and other than probably a ridiculous amount of salt, the meal should be ok. I'll just have to make sure to drink lots and lots of water (and skip the rice!) I'm not a HUGE cake eater (ice cream is actually my downfall..) so I shouldn't have too many issues with that.

And, if all else fails, Saturday is a NEW DAY! :)

struggling Nicole 01-12-2011 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by machaela (Post 3648843)
Thanks for all of the Birthday ideas, ladies! I think I should be able to limit my cravings that day. I know we are going out to a Japanese Steakhouse for dinner that night, and other than probably a ridiculous amount of salt, the meal should be ok. I'll just have to make sure to drink lots and lots of water (and skip the rice!) I'm not a HUGE cake eater (ice cream is actually my downfall..) so I shouldn't have too many issues with that.

And, if all else fails, Saturday is a NEW DAY! :)

If you are trying to stay 100% on plan it might be a good idea to call them and ask questions about the menu or even take the menu to your center and ask them for help. I did that over christmas and between my center and calling I was able to stay on plan and didn't look like an idiot when trying to order infront of everyone. It was very empowering. (I would check to see how they cook things. Do they cook with oil? Is there a part of the grill they could cook dry (or using pam spray)? Do they add butter to whatever you want to cook? Soy sauce is not on plan either, so maybe the veggies could be cooked dry too.)

Hope you have a great birthday!

Glammy 01-12-2011 11:50 AM

Can anyone tell me the importance of the Fish Oils and why they suggest we take them along with being on the plan?

Do they help boost weight loss or anything associated with weight or is it just the nutrients. They seem to never give me a CLEAR answer why....

teacherlady79 01-12-2011 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glammy (Post 3649146)
Can anyone tell me the importance of the Fish Oils and why they suggest we take them along with being on the plan?

Do they help boost weight loss or anything associated with weight or is it just the nutrients. They seem to never give me a CLEAR answer why....

Glammy, check out the "Fish Oil Question" thread. Someone asked this, and Joy2MeNU posted this response:

Higher doses of omega 3's foster weight loss, as I pointed out in an earlier reference by Dr. Barry Sears.

http://journal.crossfit.com/2009/08/...reArticleTitle

"Studies have proven that high concentrations of fish oil can be used to dramatically reduce inflammation, resulting in weight loss, improved blood chemistry and better overall health. More clinical research has shown that fatty acids, even when used to supplement a very poor diet, can help lower the risk of heart disease, cancer, MS, bipolar depression, ADHD, chronic pain and Alzheimer’s—all because fish oils reduce inflammation."

struggling Nicole 01-12-2011 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glammy (Post 3649146)

I just asked this question yesterday. My consultant told me that the main reason is because you have almost completely cut out all fats from your diet. Your body still needs essential fatty acids to help with digestion. They also help with your skin (elasticity especially!) I was told if I am irregular that I should up my EFA's. I wasn't sure why some people were taking up to six a day. I have only been taking three. So, although they don't actually boost weight loss, they are very important.

machaela 01-12-2011 03:12 PM

The great thing about food that is cooked right in front of you is that you can pretty much tell them directly how to cook it, which is why I chose a Japanese steakhouse. A lean beef filet with a whole bunch of veggies is pretty much a "planstravaganza" It's hard to eat 100% on plan when not at home anyway, especially on a special occasion. If I get too much salt, or a little oil it's not going to ruin my weight loss journey.

Razorbackbritt 01-12-2011 04:47 PM

It is FREEZING here today! I had to go to campus today...and the walk up the hill to my building got my heart pumping just from walking in the cold! I zumba-ed when I got home...and we got a new dog last night, so I've also been walking him a bit today. I think I got a good hour of workout in already!

I am going to a class at the center tonight...and will weigh in tonight. Hoping for a loss!

SandyKC0SWJ 01-12-2011 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by machaela (Post 3649590)
The great thing about food that is cooked right in front of you is that you can pretty much tell them directly how to cook it, which is why I chose a Japanese steakhouse. A lean beef filet with a whole bunch of veggies is pretty much a "planstravaganza" It's hard to eat 100% on plan when not at home anyway, especially on a special occasion. If I get too much salt, or a little oil it's not going to ruin my weight loss journey.

When I go to restaurants, I always tell the server that I am on a special diet where I have to restrict my intake of salt and fats. I have only had one tell me that they could not adjust the cooking to meet my needs. There is no shame in letting them know exactly what you need.
Happy Birthday!

patzi 01-13-2011 06:21 AM

Teacher Lady...

What program are you on? If Meta Slim, that is what I am on, and I will bring the subject up of quinoa and edaname to the person at the center tomorrow.I was never told that and it was never added to my menu.
That would be such a treat. I make hubby a grain every night, brown rice, millet, quinoa, and would be nice to be able to eat the quinoa when I make it.
Thanks..
Patzi

patzi 01-13-2011 06:27 AM

Restaurants...
When I go to a different restaurant, I always call the restaurant first, and ask to speak with the manager.Tell them I am on a special diet, and when I get to the restaurant, all is ok.I usually am told to ask for a special person when coming in, or I tell the server that the manager knows my food is to be prepared in whatever I tell them. I have had to send food back, as veggies come ladled in butter, but all in all,I not a problem.I travel in business and have no problem with special preparation . If staying overnight in a hotel,I call the hotel prior to flying. People in general are wonderful. I stayed at a hotel that did not have a restaurant, just a small coffee shop with sandwiches, and when we had a meeting, I was able to have something delivered from a local restaurant,as the hotel owner called for me.

Hopes this helps anyone relative eating out.

Patzi

struggling Nicole 01-13-2011 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patzi (Post 3650794)
Teacher Lady...

What program are you on? If Meta Slim, that is what I am on, and I will bring the subject up of quinoa and edaname to the person at the center tomorrow.I was never told that and it was never added to my menu.
That would be such a treat. I make hubby a grain every night, brown rice, millet, quinoa, and would be nice to be able to eat the quinoa when I make it.
Thanks..
Patzi

1/4 cup cooked quinoa and 1/4 cup cooked edamame are on my menu (not written in but actually printed). So they must have updated the menus after you received yours. I'm on Meta-Slim and received my menu in December.

teacherlady79 01-13-2011 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patzi (Post 3650794)
Teacher Lady...

Thanks..
Patzi

Patzi,
I started on the Metaslim Plus level 2 (white sheet), then switched to Metaslim Plus (beige sheet) after I dropped under 250lbs. Like I said, my center hand-wrote those two items onto my plan sheet under "Starches." :)

teacherlady79 01-13-2011 11:31 AM

For restaurants and work events, I have found that just saying that I'm on a special diet "for health reasons" makes people respond a lot more positively. Then, instead of treating me like I'm just being a b*tchy picky eater, they make more of an effort to make sure my food is prepared (or something is ordered in for me) the way I can eat.

ImOverIt 01-13-2011 04:56 PM

So I'm having this issue with myself...

I am thrilled about having lost weight (about 22 pounds so far and same in inches) and I love that when I'm standing still, I can set my hand on my hip and be pleasantly surprised each time at how "skinny" I feel. People have noticed and asked "what are you doing?? No really, what are you doing?" and I am so grateful and thankful to have found a program that worked (and rather quickly). So here is my frustration...I still have a little ways to go - I originally thought I should lose 35-40 pounds (back down to college-ish weight). I've lost just over half of my goal and I have found that I am losing more in certain areas than others, of course, but I am starting to look kinda funky.

My boobs shrunk (and Thank God - I was tired of hauling them around) and now my getto booty is shrinking (again, YAY!). My belly and waist have gone down too and an inch here and there as well. What I am finding now is this.... I think I'm losing too much boobs and booty. My curves are going away and I'm kinda sad about it. I woud like to loose a little more in my middle section and definitely in my thighs but I look like someone who used to have muscle (as I did) and now I'm all flab and no tone. I think that maybe instead of continueing to lose pounds, I need to tone what I have!?!

Has anyone else run into this? You lost the weight now you're flabby and without much shape? I think it's definitely time to hit the gym, just worried about staying on plan, hitting the gym and losing too much (wow, did that really just come out of my head/mouth?!). Help!

Thanks everyone :)

teacherlady79 01-13-2011 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImOverIt (Post 3651935)
So I'm having this issue with myself...

I am thrilled about having lost weight (about 22 pounds so far and same in inches) and I love that when I'm standing still, I can set my hand on my hip and be pleasantly surprised each time at how "skinny" I feel. People have noticed and asked "what are you doing?? No really, what are you doing?" and I am so grateful and thankful to have found a program that worked (and rather quickly). So here is my frustration...I still have a little ways to go - I originally thought I should lose 35-40 pounds (back down to college-ish weight). I've lost just over half of my goal and I have found that I am losing more in certain areas than others, of course, but I am starting to look kinda funky.

My boobs shrunk (and Thank God - I was tired of hauling them around) and now my getto booty is shrinking (again, YAY!). My belly and waist have gone down too and an inch here and there as well. What I am finding now is this.... I think I'm losing too much boobs and booty. My curves are going away and I'm kinda sad about it. I woud like to loose a little more in my middle section and definitely in my thighs but I look like someone who used to have muscle (as I did) and now I'm all flab and no tone. I think that maybe instead of continueing to lose pounds, I need to tone what I have!?!

Has anyone else run into this? You lost the weight now you're flabby and without much shape? I think it's definitely time to hit the gym, just worried about staying on plan, hitting the gym and losing too much (wow, did that really just come out of my head/mouth?!). Help!

Thanks everyone :)

This hasn't been too much of an issue for me yet, but I've been doing yoga almost all along. After I lost the first 10 lbs or so, I was worried about losing and just looking flabby, but I didn't want to lift weights and either bulk up or stall out on losing because I was burning too many calories. So, I opted for yoga--and it has been a lifesaver! I think it has really been the reason why I don't look all "uneven" and funky. I've lost quite a bit of weight in my butt and thighs, but instead of looking flat or flabby (I have a flat butt, so sad), I look tighter and toned.

I would highly suggest yoga, as it's a workout that is really kind to your body (not high impact), but still works on strength A LOT.

shannysmomma 01-13-2011 08:20 PM

The quinoa is off of the gluten-free program foods for the starches if you are on the meta slim or meta balance menu. There are other options on there as well. Here is the break down:
1/4 cup brown rice
1/4 cup corn
1/4 cup cooked legumes
1 1/4 oz cooked quinoa
2 oz sweet potato
2 oz baked potato
1/4 cup cooked millet
1 1/4 cooked lentils

I haven't had the quinoa, but want to try it.

hatethesweatpants 01-13-2011 09:55 PM

I would have never in a million years thought I would enjoy a measly 1/4c rice as much as I did on meta-slim! :D

Joy2MeNu 01-14-2011 10:26 AM

I worked out from almost the get go and so glad I did. It may have kept my weight loss somewhat restrained, but I don't think it did and I look like I weigh less than I do. I say, get some exercise! The sooner the better.

jade1393 01-14-2011 11:58 AM

I am proud of myself. Got all my water in yesterday, stayed completely OP, also went to Muai Thai kickboxing last night. I really didn't want to do because I was tired, but I did it. This morning I got up and ran as well. So far today I have been OP. I am excited that I am able to do this. I need to get some more water in today though.

Junie04 01-14-2011 01:35 PM

Well, I just got back from weigh in. I lost 2 pounds. I didn't quite make my goal of 70 pounds this week. Ah well, back to the grind!

hteep123 01-14-2011 03:06 PM

Congrats to everyone. It looks like I broke through my plateau. I was down a pound today so I lost the half I gained and I'm down a half. It's small, but I will take it. Given the stress I have been under this week, I'm patting myself on the back that I didn't give in and have a complete carb binge!

wendinnc 01-14-2011 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junie04 (Post 3653487)
Well, I just got back from weigh in. I lost 2 pounds. I didn't quite make my goal of 70 pounds this week. Ah well, back to the grind!

WOW!! June you are doing great!! :)

struggling Nicole 01-14-2011 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hteep123 (Post 3653711)
Congrats to everyone. It looks like I broke through my plateau. I was down a pound today so I lost the half I gained and I'm down a half. It's small, but I will take it. Given the stress I have been under this week, I'm patting myself on the back that I didn't give in and have a complete carb binge!

I was wondering if you would share how many plateaus you have and how long they have lasted. I'm going on two weeks and am going CRAZY. I went into my center on Tuesday and just balled my eyes out. I'm am 100% on plan and just can't seem to get off this plateau. Just curious I guess. I'm waiting until next week to weigh in again. I think it would be better for my soul to not see a scale for a while.

Does/has everyone gained at some point in time (besides cheats)? Is gaining a half pound normal?

teacherlady79 01-14-2011 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by struggling Nicole (Post 3653868)
I was wondering if you would share how many plateaus you have and how long they have lasted. I'm going on two weeks and am going CRAZY. I went into my center on Tuesday and just balled my eyes out. I'm am 100% on plan and just can't seem to get off this plateau. Just curious I guess. I'm waiting until next week to weigh in again. I think it would be better for my soul to not see a scale for a while.

Does/has everyone gained at some point in time (besides cheats)? Is gaining a half pound normal?

I lost 3.5lbs one week, and then gained .5lb back before the next weigh-in, even though i was 100% OP the whole time. My center said that's totally normal--weight loss is rarely a consistent, downward line when you graph it out. Your body needs time to adjust to the losses and reconfigure itself. I've stalled out for 2-2.5 weeks at a time, and while frustrating, it's totally normal.

A true plateau would be when you don't lose for weeks on end--like Debi, who plateaued for a month or so at one point.

cmmnsnsfml 01-14-2011 05:47 PM

I weighed in last night and was very happy that I actually lost. I was out of town most of the week for work and we ate out pretty much every meal while I was gone. While I ate OP and requested my food made according to program I was still concerned because I was not 100% in control.

I lost 1lb making my total 10lbs. I have my 10lb stone proudly displayed on top of my monitor so I can see it when I am at my desk.

patzi 01-14-2011 06:20 PM

Hello...
I weighed in today and lost 1 1/2 pounds and am delighted.. I am now 5 pounds away from goal they said. Measured body fat and they said it is where it should be for weight I am now..So, am delighted with that.

I asked about the quinoa and the edename and I was told that is it on the Meta Plus or Meta Balance, or for someone who has a medical problem or is allergic to certain things like gluten.. I am on Meta Slim, and my diet page is green, not beige..Sigh.....

Patzi

patzi 01-14-2011 06:22 PM

June..
You are doing fantastic. What an inspiration you are..

Patzi

hteep123 01-14-2011 08:02 PM

My "plateau" was relatively short. It lasted a week and resulted in a .5 lb gain during that time. It was frustrating but it wasn't long.

Junie04 01-14-2011 09:03 PM

Thanks Wendi!

Quote:

Originally Posted by patzi (Post 3654071)
June..
You are doing fantastic. What an inspiration you are..

Patzi

Patzi, you made my day! Thanks.

teacherlady79 01-14-2011 09:23 PM

Yay, Junie! I'm so excited for you to meet your goal! :D

And Patzi, that's great that you were able to lose, even while traveling and eating out! That's the most difficult obstacle to face, I think.

I didn't want to go to yoga tonight--I tried a class that proved too challenging Wednesday and my hamstrings and shoulders are paying for it now. But, I forced myself to go, and I'm so glad I did! My instructors (only one actually taught the class, but my MOnday night instructor had decided to drop into the class tonight) told me afterwards that they can see a big difference in my practice, pointing out a couple of poses that I've worked really hard to perfect and saying I did them really well. I mentioned that I've also been trying to strengthen my core, and they said they could really tell a difference in my waist and thighs--that I'm slimmer and more toned there!

I like getting better at things (I'm a teacher, it's the overachiever in me), and to have the "experts" notice and take the time to tell me that I've improved is particularly gratifying. :)

Ready2Live 01-14-2011 11:01 PM

Well, I've been one week of detox and one week on plan and I have lost 12 lbs. That is freaking awesome..... My husband just suprised me with a trip for next weekend. It is already stressing me out how I will be away from home and still maintain my eating patterns. Any suggestions. I feel like an alcoholic that is being asked to bartend for a weekend. :)

evinsmom 01-15-2011 08:18 AM

I think that is my biggest stress as well, eating away from home. Talk to the people at the center, they can give you tips on how to eat out. Mine gave good suggestions...being the first to order...substitute foods on the menu...etc. You can eat out, remember, you are not depriving yourself, you are making healthy choices.

jade1393 01-15-2011 08:38 AM

YAY I have lost 4 more pounds! Totally excited!! Ready for a fun three day weekend. Was tempted to make pancakes this morning since my hubby and I are both off, but went ahead and stayed OP. Might be going out later with friends so I need to be prepared. On cloud nine today :D

hteep123 01-15-2011 09:16 AM

Congratulations to everyone who has seen some success! I am making some MRC sausage for me and the baby this morning. She actually slept in so I took some time and pulled out all my old bins of smaller clothes. I opened them up and found a lot of them should have gone to Goodwill. I did get one pair of jeans ALMOST on and they were 3 sizes smaller than what I am wearing now!

I figure in another 5 lbs I may be able to wear them again. I am really hoping to get into the 150's this week. Whatever is meant to be will be and I am going to keep working the program. I know it will come.

Happy Saturday to everyone!

evinsmom 01-15-2011 09:50 AM

Getting into those jeans will be a great feeling! I know I have a pair of jeans from YEARS ago that I have been saving for some odd reason. My new goal is to be able to get into those jeans and relive the good old days (with less indulgence, of course). Congrats!

hatethesweatpants 01-15-2011 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by struggling Nicole (Post 3653868)

I had quite a few "plateaus" of a week or so. I just didn't ever lose in a linear way. It almost always was followed by a good loss the next week and my lbs/month was very similar every month. After I started doing more than 200 min of hard cardio/wk, I truly did plateau. I couldn't budge from 170. I was run down and exhausted with no energy. I watched it for a few weeks and finally told them that I was not going to quit exercising and that I wanted to try metabalance. I literally lost 4lbs before my next weigh in. I was starving my body. After that, I lost about 2lbs/week until I reached goal. Then, when I started stabilization (more calories), I saw another drop of 7lbs in 2 weeks. Our bodies are so weird - trust your gut. If something does not feel right, ask for help.

Razorbackbritt 01-15-2011 11:32 AM

Well, I'm back from out of town. I did great on the trip. When hubby munched on chips in the car, I sipped on a HNS. When we stopped for lunch, I made him do Subway coming and going so I could get a salad. And I did good at dinner and breakfast away from home. I'm proud of myself!

This weekend might be a bit challenging. My mother in law's birthday is tomorrow. That means a cookout lunch with the family tomorrow. But I packed a meal bar. I hate eating the meal bar when they have cooked lunch for us, but I want so desperately to be losing that I am NOT giving in to their food tomorrow. I'm doing this for me!

teacherlady79 01-15-2011 01:40 PM

Weighed in today, and I'm up 1lb since my weigh-in on Tuesday.

I'm not going to sweat it though. I had a big loss (4 lbs!) on Tuesday, and I almost always stay the same or gain a little right after big losses. Plus, I don't usually weigh in on Saturdays, or in the morning, so that might have affected it a little, too.

I'll just keep trucking along and see how it comes out on Tuesday this week. :)

razzledazzle 01-15-2011 05:19 PM

I am finally getting the hang of the program. Received my first stone on Friday.

Will I ever be able to have a small popcorn at the movies?

hatethesweatpants 01-15-2011 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by razzledazzle (Post 3655425)
I am finally getting the hang of the program. Received my first stone on Friday.

Will I ever be able to have a small popcorn at the movies?

Just ate about 1/3 of a small popcorn at the movies today. Hang in there, eventually, you will (just not often!).