3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Metabolic Research Center (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/metabolic-research-center-228/)
-   -   January Thread (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/metabolic-research-center/220876-january-thread.html)

teacherlady79 01-01-2011 12:03 PM

January Thread

**January Thread**

Happy New Year!

Since today is my birthday, I took it upon myself to start the new thread for the month. ;)

We stayed in last night--don't usually like to go out on NYE, especially with sub-zero temps and icy roads. Hubby bought some sparkling wine to ring in the new year. I had a couple sips and then, when he wasn't looking, poured the rest of the glass down the drain. I really didn't want to hurt his feelings, but I didn't want to waste calories/splurging on something that was only ok-tasting.

I really want to get some exercise in today, but I just got my hair cut and blown out (I have really curly hair, and I'm not coordinated enough to blow it straight myself) yesterday so I don't want to wash it today. I wonder how many calories I can burn without sweating, lol.

Happy New Year, all! May 2011 bring us continued success in our weight-loss journey!

LisaK190 01-01-2011 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teacherlady79 (Post 3626894)
**January Thread**

Happy New Year!

Since today is my birthday, I took it upon myself to start the new thread for the month. ;)

We stayed in last night--don't usually like to go out on NYE, especially with sub-zero temps and icy roads. Hubby bought some sparkling wine to ring in the new year. I had a couple sips and then, when he wasn't looking, poured the rest of the glass down the drain. I really didn't want to hurt his feelings, but I didn't want to waste calories/splurging on something that was only ok-tasting.

I really want to get some exercise in today, but I just got my hair cut and blown out (I have really curly hair, and I'm not coordinated enough to blow it straight myself) yesterday so I don't want to wash it today. I wonder how many calories I can burn without sweating, lol.

Happy New Year, all! May 2011 bring us continued success in our weight-loss journey!

Happy birthday Teacherlady!!

hteep123 01-01-2011 02:23 PM

Happy Birthday to you!!!

struggling Nicole 01-01-2011 05:09 PM

Happy Birthday! Hope you have a wonderful day .

patzi 01-01-2011 05:45 PM

Happy Birthday, Natalie.. Have a wonderful day
and Happy New Year everyone.

Patzi

hatethesweatpants 01-01-2011 06:18 PM

Happy birthday teacherlady and Happy New Year everyone!

cmmnsnsfml 01-01-2011 06:25 PM

Happy Birthday Teacherlady:D

hteep123 01-01-2011 06:42 PM

I went to a New Year's Day brunch and I was unprepared. :( I took my HNS and I thought they would have eggs, a cooked veggie of some sort, and some fruit. I figured I could make it work. When I looked over the spread, there wasn't really much I could eat. I ended up with one small medallion of pork tenderloin (probably an ounce), a quarter cup of roasted veggies, 2 large strawberries, and a tablespoon of shrimp w/sausage gravy. I drank water the entire time while everyone else was having mimosas and bloody mary's and champagne.

I don't regret drinking water and not parking at the food table. What I do regret is not planning better. I congratulate myself for not eating the biscuits and smothered french toast or even trying the fantastic looking chocolate bark that was offered to me at least FOUR TIMES! By the time I got home, I was famished because my lunch was almost nothing. I drank my MRC Hot Cocoa and it helped a little. I splurged and had an extra piece of bread with dinner since I moved furniture all afternoon and I could have eaten my arm by then.

So here it is almost 7 PM and I am drinking warm tea. I will have one more HNS in a few minutes. I guess I am venting. I am trying to focus on the positive and hope that this doesn't show up on the scale.

krishug 01-01-2011 08:02 PM

Happy Birthday Teacherlady!

hatethesweatpants 01-01-2011 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hteep123 (Post 3627480)
So here it is almost 7 PM and I am drinking warm tea. I will have one more HNS in a few minutes. I guess I am venting. I am trying to focus on the positive and hope that this doesn't show up on the scale.

These kinds of things happen. Take a deep breath and even go to bed early if you need to. Sometimes it feels really frustrating to be the only one making good choices, especially when you really, really want to go off plan! Great job sticking with it. It's life and you dealt with it accordingly. Life won't always be this restrictive - hang in there.

teacherlady79 01-01-2011 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hteep123 (Post 3627480)
I don't regret drinking water and not parking at the food table. What I do regret is not planning better. I congratulate myself for not eating the biscuits and smothered french toast or even trying the fantastic looking chocolate bark that was offered to me at least FOUR TIMES!

Don't be too hard on yourself for not being 100% prepared. Life throws curveballs at you, and you can't plan for everything--you did the best you could, under the circumstances, and that's something to be proud of. Not only that, but you did better than you probably would have done in the past, and that's certainly an accomplishment.

Like ladystarrider says sometimes, we should be striving for progress, not perfection. Only one of those is actually attainable, and it's not worth it to be too hard on ourselves. :)

Razorbackbritt 01-01-2011 09:16 PM

Well I did ok today. My mother in law ended up coming over to watch football...and she brought several chips and deips (salty is my weakness). I had a serving of chips and dip, but I had no carbs at dinner and no fruit at lunch....so maybe it will equal out.

Like it was said before, make good choices, not perfect ones. So since I had chips, I didn't eat my carbs the rest of the day, instead of just adding in chips. Not perfect, but better than before when I would have eaten it all!

Happy birthday Teacherlady!

teacherlady79 01-01-2011 09:24 PM

I did ok for my birthday dinner tonight. I made sure I was totally 100% on plan today, and drank lots of water, too, knowing we would go out to dinner tonight.

I did have the dinner roll, but then I ordered a sirloin with roasted veggies (instead of the mashed or baked potato it came with). Then we went back to my in-laws' and had cake. My MIL made a chocolate & kahlua cake for my birthday. I'll admit it--I totally agreed to it when she asked me if that's what I wanted a couple weeks ago. She did decide that it was rich enough without frosting, so she left that off completely. And it was AMAZING! I had a small sliver of the cake with a big glass of water (everyone else had white russians, yum) . . . and I really don't feel badly about it. It's my birthday, I let myself have a reasonable amount of a treat, and I'll just drink extra water and make sure I hit the gym tomorrow.

In hindsight, the only thing I would have done differently would probably be to have skipped the bread at dinner. If I'd thought about it at the time, I should have just had the cake substitute for my dinner starch, so I wasn't indulging in as many extra carbs as I ultimately did. Ah, well. Lesson learned for next year. ;)

Thank you all for the lovely birthday wishes! :hug: I allowed myself a lazy day--reading books and watching movies--despite the growing list of errands and chores I need to continually catch up on. :D

Junie04 01-01-2011 09:37 PM

Happy Birthday Teacherlady!

murphydoodle2 01-01-2011 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teacherlady79 (Post 3627706)
Like ladystarrider says sometimes, we should be striving for progress, not perfection. Only one of those is actually attainable, and it's not worth it to be too hard on ourselves. :)

This is so true! And it looks like all of you have been making great choices- not perfect, but sooo much better than in the past. I was feeling somewhat guilty about the BLTs at my mom's party last night, BUT I didn't have any alcohol (no big deal) and I only had a few tastes of the snacks instead of stuffing myself. Today I was 100% on plan and I feel empowered!:cheer2:

patzi 01-02-2011 08:28 AM

Made turkey sausage and it was delicious.. Nice change in morning.

Any suggestions using tuna?I have the recipes in MRC cookbook, but am trying to make recipes without using the MRC supplements.

If anyone has been on maintenance here, I have a question for you.

Wishing all a happy day

Patzi

hatethesweatpants 01-02-2011 09:00 AM

I'm on maintenance, Patzi, what's up?

hteep123 01-02-2011 09:41 AM

Thank you to everyone. Today is a new day and looking back on yesterday it was nowhere near as bad as I would have been just a month ago. I even realized that many of my friends are feeders. Thanks to MRC I can identify them and make good choices around them.

You are right "progress not perfection"! Thank you so much!

It looks like everyone did really well. Great job to us all!

struggling Nicole 01-02-2011 09:49 AM

We are getting ready to pack up the car and head out of town for the week. (another hunting trip. Yeah) :( Not really looking forward to it. I know it will be challenging to stay on plan. Thanks for all the inspiration right before we leave. I will try to remember that it is progress not perfection I am going for. Hope everyone does well. Keep up the good work.

Razorbackbritt 01-02-2011 07:29 PM

Struggling Nicole- OP while traveling can be difficult...be sure to drink water and your HNS and eat as best as you can! You can do it!

patzi 01-02-2011 08:36 PM

Hi Deb...
On maintenance, do you still take the HNS, supplements,etc.from MRC,or do they have you slowly delete them from the menu?

Thanks..
Patzi

hatethesweatpants 01-02-2011 09:32 PM

By the end of stabilization, you are only using 1 HNS/day, but can gradually delete them altogether. Because of my workouts, I still use them as a protein supplement about once a day b/c I don't want to eat that much meat. So, after a workout, I may have 1, or have one with my yogurt at night. They're not required. Supplement-wise, I'm now only taking the basics: Vit D, Vit B, multi, and fish oil. I get those things at the drugstore.

Sherral 01-02-2011 10:01 PM

Hubby and I just got back from a long weekend at some friends. My skinny best friend and her husband. So, knowing I was on a diet she made my favorite 7 layer dip and her famous cheescake. She would like me to lose the wieght but i guess she wants me to do it magically. At any rate, i stayed on program 100%, I guess the more she pushed food, the more i dug in. At any rate, great to hear everone is getting back on track, Nicole hang in there this week, you can do it! I am actually looking forward to weighing in either tomorrow or Tuesday.

teacherlady79 01-02-2011 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherral (Post 3629535)
Hubby and I just got back from a long weekend at some friends. My skinny best friend and her husband. So, knowing I was on a diet she made my favorite 7 layer dip and her famous cheescake. She would like me to lose the wieght but i guess she wants me to do it magically. At any rate, i stayed on program 100%, I guess the more she pushed food, the more i dug in. At any rate, great to hear everone is getting back on track, Nicole hang in there this week, you can do it! I am actually looking forward to weighing in either tomorrow or Tuesday.

Ouch, that must've been tough to constantly turn her down.

One thing I've found with sabateurs (whether intentional or not) is that they either truly enjoy pleasing people with food and therefore make your favorite things--not thinking about how it will affect your diet, or they (consciously or subconsciously) don't want you to really lose the weight. My best friend really struggled with that the last time I lost weight--I figured she'd be supportive, since she was so skinny herself, but it turned out she wasn't; I think that deep down she was afraid my losing weight would cause me to "change" somehow, or not be the friend she needed me to be anymore, or something.

Either way, it's tough when people you care about are pushing food at you, no matter how lovingly. Congrats at standing firm and staying on plan! :)

Sherral 01-02-2011 10:55 PM

Thanks teacherlady. I think she loves to feed people and possibly deep down may not want me to get really thin, she prides herself on her thin body but because she is much older than me her being thin and reminding me I'm not is a form of vanity.I teased her back a little this weekend and asked her what she would do if I lost all my weight, she will still be older than me (20 years). We both laughed but it definately had the ring of truth.

jade1393 01-03-2011 06:51 AM

Starting my training to run a 5k in March. Got some friends doing it with me. They all understand my menu and so does my family. I have a huge support system here at home and at work. I am officially starting this year OP and taking it a day at a time. This running thing has me motivated because I have to do it because of all the other people counting on my to do it with them. We will see how it goes. Ready for no more treats and goodies and parties for a bit. I go in Wednesday to face the music for a WI after the holidays!

machaela 01-03-2011 10:07 AM

Man! Everyone has been doing so great over the holidays. I just got back from work from at 2 week vacation over the holidays. And you know that wagon I was talking about in December, well, it rolled on down the road speeding away at a massive rate. The first few days, while not on plan, I was watching what I was eating--and by that I mean I was watching everything go into my mouth and into my stomach. I still only went up a few pounds. Now, back to work, I weighed in this morning and it is a catastrophe! I haven't been to MRC to weigh in since the beginning of December and I've been off plan that long.

Should I just start over with Day 1? Anticipating that's the correct answer I started this morning. HNC, egg, toast, LOTS of water. Even more water in my future today..

I worry about going back to the center. Is there a penalty for missing so many days/weigh ins (other than the penalty of gaining back virtually everything I had lost)? I know (think?) the ladies there will be supportive in getting me back on track, but I'm also a little (a LOT) ashamed of just how easy it was to give in.

Any support? Ideas? And finger wagging will be accepted :)

teacherlady79 01-03-2011 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by machaela (Post 3630257)
I worry about going back to the center. Is there a penalty for missing so many days/weigh ins (other than the penalty of gaining back virtually everything I had lost)? I know (think?) the ladies there will be supportive in getting me back on track, but I'm also a little (a LOT) ashamed of just how easy it was to give in.

Any support? Ideas? And finger wagging will be accepted :)

My sister felt the same way when she went off-plan for a month or so. I went with her to the center, and when she signed in she told them they would probably find her file in the "where the **** is she?" section. They all laughed, and her weigh-in went a little longer than usual as they discussed how/why she went off plan, what to do to get back on track, etc., but they were still very supportive.

There is no penalty for going off-plan/not weighing in, other than (as I'm sure they'll point out) you are wasting your own money/time. And they can no longer "guarantee" a certain amount of weight loss by a certain date, of course, since you broke your end of the contract. But I've found them to be really encouraging/supportive as far as making the most of your remaining time with them.

Good luck! I veered off plan somewhat over the holidays, and now my cravings are terrible! I was filling out my food sheet for the last week (I record everything on livestrong.com, then transfer it to my MRC food sheet--because I can do livestrong from my phone and I like the little charts and graphs it does with my info, lol) and I realized that I've developed the nasty habit of snacking (on carbs) at night. Probably because I've been staying up later than usual during my break, but it will probably be a difficult habit to break, nonetheless. :(

hatethesweatpants 01-03-2011 12:37 PM

Get back in there! Fear and shame hide in the dark. Bring it into the light, face it, and move on! ((hugs))

AshleyRae 01-03-2011 01:15 PM

I stayed with a group of friends this New Years weekend out of state. I packed food for myself so that I wouldn't have an excuse to eat out of control. And boy was I glad I didn't have room for excuses! The spread was amazing! It was particularly difficult since I have only just started (yellow menu!). I got through it and have my very first official weigh-in today. I'm so proud of myself for following the diet in that tough situation, and my husband even mentioned off the cuff that he was "extremely impressed by" and "proud of" my willpower. Woohoo!

Sherral 01-03-2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshleyRae (Post 3630666)
I stayed with a group of friends this New Years weekend out of state. I packed food for myself so that I wouldn't have an excuse to eat out of control. And boy was I glad I didn't have room for excuses! The spread was amazing! It was particularly difficult since I have only just started (yellow menu!). I got through it and have my very first official weigh-in today. I'm so proud of myself for following the diet in that tough situation, and my husband even mentioned off the cuff that he was "extremely impressed by" and "proud of" my willpower. Woohoo!

Great job girl! :carrot:

hteep123 01-03-2011 03:02 PM

I weighed in this morning and I'm down .5 lbs. I talked to them about my little snack at night the past couple of nights and they said I can pull in another HNS and I probably need to cut back on the exercise a little. Now what diet/lifestyle change tells you that? LOL!

To be honest, school started back up again today so its a bit of a relief to not have to try to fit as much exercise in my schedule right this moment.

Razorbackbritt 01-03-2011 03:06 PM

So today I did a bit of shopping to spend my Christmas money. I went to a boutique in town I love. I have only ever been able to buy accessories and shoes there as the clothes ahve been too small. Well, today I bought a coat there that fit! And it was on clearance! A $132 coat for $44! And it fits!!!

Perk of weight loss I wasn't expecting: being able to fit into boutique clothes.

Picture on my blog here: (*i couldn't attach it for some reason) http://razorbackbritt.blogspot.com/2...mas-money.html

I am still at 29 pounds lost, but I'm kicking my butt into gear, eating OP and working out this week...hoping to sign that 30 pound board soon!

Glammy 01-03-2011 04:45 PM

Today is my 5th week on program and I am .5lbs away from getting my 20lb stone (darn I coulda peed that .5 out LOL). So that's 19.5lbs in 5 weeks, ahhh! I SOOOOOO hope I can get another 19.5 out in the next 5 weeks.

EVEN bigger of a motivator I am 1.5lbs from breaking the 200 mark. I have not been under 200lbs in FIVE (almost 6 years) so this is a HUGE HUGE HUGE motivator for me. I am going to be one happy girl when that scale says 199 or lower, let me tell ya!!

I also lost 14 inches since Dec. 13 (I hate that they total the inches up because right off the bat you think "13 inches off your waist" but unfortunately since they total all the inches from the various places they measure (thighs, arms, tummy, bust etc) it makes me feel like it's more than it really is.

AND I got bumped down to the green menu...THANK GOD because I am SO fed up with eating 6 oz of meat at ONE setting. (I wouldn't even eat that much chicken or turkey off of this diet, just way too much for me).

So I have lots to look foward to. So my ???? is.....is it unrealistic to think I can lose another 19(20) lbs in these next 5 weeks, or was this first 20lbs lost just because of the beginning of the program>????
Thoughts????

teacherlady79 01-03-2011 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glammy (Post 3631136)
Today is my 5th week on program and I am .5lbs away from getting my 20lb stone (darn I coulda peed that .5 out LOL). So that's 19.5lbs in 5 weeks, ahhh! I SOOOOOO hope I can get another 19.5 out in the next 5 weeks.

EVEN bigger of a motivator I am 1.5lbs from breaking the 200 mark. I have not been under 200lbs in FIVE (almost 6 years) so this is a HUGE HUGE HUGE motivator for me. I am going to be one happy girl when that scale says 199 or lower, let me tell ya!!

I also lost 14 inches since Dec. 13 (I hate that they total the inches up because right off the bat you think "13 inches off your waist" but unfortunately since they total all the inches from the various places they measure (thighs, arms, tummy, bust etc) it makes me feel like it's more than it really is.

AND I got bumped down to the green menu...THANK GOD because I am SO fed up with eating 6 oz of meat at ONE setting. (I wouldn't even eat that much chicken or turkey off of this diet, just way too much for me).

So I have lots to look foward to. So my ???? is.....is it unrealistic to think I can lose another 19(20) lbs in these next 5 weeks, or was this first 20lbs lost just because of the beginning of the program>????
Thoughts????

Congrats! Almost 20lbs in 5 weeks is amazing! :D

I would almost have to say that it is unrealistic to lose another 20lbs in 5 more weeks--and borderline unhealthy. That's averaging out to 4lbs a week, which is almost too much. Part of the reason that you lost so much right away was because of "water weight." We all started out a little dehydrated, and increasing your water intake in the beginning causes big changes right away. My guess is that you'll probably slow to about 2lbs or so a week--which is nothing to sneeze at! If you're body decides to continue dropping the weight rapidly on the green menu, then great! I just wouldn't be surprised if it slows a little.

Glammy 01-03-2011 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teacherlady79 (Post 3631165)
Congrats! Almost 20lbs in 5 weeks is amazing! :D

I would almost have to say that it is unrealistic to lose another 20lbs in 5 more weeks--and borderline unhealthy. That's averaging out to 4lbs a week, which is almost too much. Part of the reason that you lost so much right away was because of "water weight." We all started out a little dehydrated, and increasing your water intake in the beginning causes big changes right away. My guess is that you'll probably slow to about 2lbs or so a week--which is nothing to sneeze at! If you're body decides to continue dropping the weight rapidly on the green menu, then great! I just wouldn't be surprised if it slows a little.

But don't they tell you 2.5-5lbs a week? I hope it contunies, I am working hard at it. So I totally saw this show on MTV Called "I use to be fat" this girl lost like 90lbs in FOUR months. That came out to like 6 lbs a week and she looked totally transformed. Anyways, I'm 100% dedicated and hope that it's not too unrealistic to hope for. I've seen it happen in coworkers, just wonder if I can keep it up the same.. :carrot: Thanks for ur input teacherlady, I love your posts!

Sherral 01-03-2011 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glammy (Post 3631185)
But don't they tell you 2.5-5lbs a week? I hope it contunies, I am working hard at it. So I totally saw this show on MTV Called "I use to be fat" this girl lost like 90lbs in FOUR months. That came out to like 6 lbs a week and she looked totally transformed. Anyways, I'm 100% dedicated and hope that it's not too unrealistic to hope for. I've seen it happen in coworkers, just wonder if I can keep it up the same.. :carrot: Thanks for ur input teacherlady, I love your posts!

Everyone is different. Hopefully you will continue to lose fast.. However, I was told 5 lbs is what Men can expect to lose, not women. So, just know, you are well on your way and you will get there.

jade1393 01-04-2011 07:37 AM

Proud of myself for yesterday. I ran in the morning, stayed completely OP, remembered my vitamins. The only thing I missed was some of my water. Missed one water bottle. Hoping to do the same today and get all my water in. I am going to try Muai Thai tonight for the first time. Doing this plan has really opened my eyes to what I might be able to do. I figured if I do workouts that are like training I will look at this menu like training too. I am training for a 5K in March. Doing Muai Thai is training as well to become an athlete. The menu is needed so I can do both. I think this is exactly what I needed. I go in tomorrow to face the music from the past two weeks. We will see how I did!

hteep123 01-04-2011 09:49 AM

@razorbackbritt - Congrats on the great shopping find. That jacket is super cute and I love how it highlights your waist. You look fantastic!

@Glammy - You are doing wonderful! Keep up the great work!

@jade - Oooh that sounds like so much fun! Really enjoy it. You sound like you have your mind made up that you are gonna make this YOUR YEAR!

I made the turkey sausage patties this morning. Oh man it was pretty good. The next time I will probably make it with less fennel and sage and add some garlic and onion powder. It was a fantastic change. I had my french toast with turkey sausage this morning!

Razorbackbritt 01-04-2011 10:39 AM

Did Wii Zumba yesterday...nice to work out at home. Today I am going to be cleaning house and hopefully will have time to Zumba again. Hoping and praying for the 30 pound board Thursday....