Old 01-01-2009, 05:14 PM   #31  
Em

S/C/G: 170

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingARMom View Post
I love those jeans! I have not bought any just yet. Again I am cheap. But I have tried them on and they are great.
I have 2 pair - got both on eBay! (Have I mentioned I'm cheap too?!?) My other pair is a little heavier denim & they're more "dressy" trouser-style. Love those, but I ain't wearing them for a weigh-in! I bet they'd add at LEAST 2 lbs!
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 05:22 PM   #32  
Em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gma to 4 View Post
OK, what am I missing? I've never heard of Not Your Daughters jeans, so where can I buy them? No matter how much weight I've lost, I still have this dang belly pouch, so maybe that would help to hold it in.
They're in Dillard's here, and some some small boutique-type shops. They're pricey (which is why I got mine on eBay!) - standard is around $98, I won't pay that much for jeans! Nordstrom's sells them too.
http://www.notyourdaughtersjeans.com
Sam's has a brand called "Smith's" - also "tummy tuck" jeans. I like them too and they're WAY cheaper than the NYDJ! Like maybe $15/pair.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:16 PM   #33  
Judy

S/C/G: 174/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

Crap, crap, crap! The MIL from **** came in, and we stopped by my daughter's on the way home from the airport. My nephew and his family are visiting her, so there was a ton of munchies, including brie baked in puff pastry, and I binged on that and am off the wagon, again! Where in the heck is my will power? The brie alone was bad enough, but I ate a bunch of crackers to go with it. I did pig out on carrots and tomatoes, but won't know until I WI in the morning how much damage I've done. After eating that, I completely skipped dinner, so most likely will be starving by bedtime. Guess it's time for one more U turn.
Gma to 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:25 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 198/see ticker/163

Quote:
Crap, crap, crap! The MIL from **** came in, and we stopped by my daughter's on the way home from the airport. My nephew and his family are visiting her, so there was a ton of munchies, including brie baked in puff pastry, and I binged on that and am off the wagon, again! Where in the heck is my will power? The brie alone was bad enough, but I ate a bunch of crackers to go with it. I did pig out on carrots and tomatoes, but won't know until I WI in the morning how much damage I've done. After eating that, I completely skipped dinner, so most likely will be starving by bedtime. Guess it's time for one more U turn.
Keep on trying. We went to Mimis cafe for dinner last night and I had a slightly off plan salad (it had fruit in it) but I did eat the huge muffin that came with it. ( probably at least 500 calories). Oh well today is a new day!!!
WorkingARMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 10:27 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 198/see ticker/163

[QUOTE= I was also going to not weigh myself every morning like I did before. I was just going to be suprised at the center. Well, I don't have that much self-control and had to peak today - kind of a reward for being so good. I'm already down a couple more lbs. from tuesday!![/QUOTE]

That is great! I say that every time I start over and every morning I get on that damn scale. Oh well I think I am down another 1/2 lb even with all my little or not so little cheats. But I am going to buck up and stop cheating.
WorkingARMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:52 PM   #36  
Gina

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
I have a feeling you will have many challenges over the visit. It will be a good time to assess if you're an emotional eater and how to overcome that. Every thing in life can be viewed as a learning experience just hang in there and do the best you can.

I feel like my body is on a race to get back to my goal weight. I jumped on the scale again this morning - yes, I'm back to checking, I'm just too impatient to wait! I woke up this morning feeling really bloated and swollen, so I had to check. I'm already down to 172.5 which is 2.5 more lbs since yesterday. I have a planned wi for tomorrow so we'll see what their scale says. But I'm pretty happy it's coming off so fast. I get to start day 5-10 tomorrow - yippee!! A tiny bit more food.
ShineOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:41 PM   #37  
Judy

Default Good news and bad news

Well, the good news is that my WI was not as bad as I thought...up 1.5 lbs from two weeks ago, but down 2.5 lbs from my weight this past weekend. That is more than I lost most weeks of being OP with MRC during the actual weight loss period. My favorite counselor was great, calming me down immensely and letting me know that he believes I can do this. He has suggested I start writing down everything I eat for awhile, following the maintenance menu rather than the green menu. His other suggestion was to eat less of the add-ins from stabilization that transition to maintenance rather than cut them out entirely, referring back to yo-yo dieting if you abruptly go back to the green menu. More good news is that on Monday, our MRC office is starting a monthly class/support group for those of us in maintenance. The counselor said that it is common for those on maintenance to start to panic if there is some weight gain, and then because of feeling like a failure, substantiating that with more out of control eating. Hmmm...sure sounds like what I've been doing.

The bad news is that as soon as I got home from WI, I cheated again. The MIL from **** is already driving me crazy, and there are 10 more days of her visit. Yes, I am an emotional eater...but not always. During the stress following my daughter's seizure in early December, I actually ate less and lost weight. This time, the stress is causing me to eat even if I'm not hungry. I'm going to watch the class offerings for January to see if any of them will tie in to emotional eating.

So I am taking ShineOn's advice and taking a deep breath to get back to feeling in control. Thanks to all of you for being there these past days when you were truly my lifeline!
Old 01-02-2009, 11:44 PM   #38  
Judy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShineOn View Post
I have a feeling you will have many challenges over the visit. It will be a good time to assess if you're an emotional eater and how to overcome that. Every thing in life can be viewed as a learning experience just hang in there and do the best you can.

I feel like my body is on a race to get back to my goal weight. I jumped on the scale again this morning - yes, I'm back to checking, I'm just too impatient to wait! I woke up this morning feeling really bloated and swollen, so I had to check. I'm already down to 172.5 which is 2.5 more lbs since yesterday. I have a planned wi for tomorrow so we'll see what their scale says. But I'm pretty happy it's coming off so fast. I get to start day 5-10 tomorrow - yippee!! A tiny bit more food.
ShineOn: Wow! You go, girl! I'll bet you will be amazed at your progress this time.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:15 PM   #39  

Height: 5'3"

l start maintenance Mon. Went to the center today, and got a new girl. I may have to go next in early next week to ask some questions from a more experienced girl. I really feel lost! She said bars, pudding, etc are NOT ALLOWED anymore....even as snacks. The more experienced girl a few weeks ago said, yes, they are good to have a snacks when my sister and i were deciding whether or not to buy more. Surely you can count the pudding as a protein and a bar as a protein and fruit or bread like we always did before? I'm a little leery of not having the structure of the food sheet to plan out my meals.

Do you guys really eat 1 c. of popcorn or the 100 cal. bags that I thought someone mentioned? Egg whites are now free? How many? I could have a 4 egg white omelet and not count it? REAL sugar free jello is free? Not the MRC kind? I could make up a package and eat it throughout the day? Or is there a limit to the free foods?

Any advice would be GREAT! Mindi

Last edited by brainsgirl; 01-03-2009 at 04:16 PM.
brainsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:50 PM   #40  
Em

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainsgirl View Post
l start maintenance Mon. Went to the center today, and got a new girl. I may have to go next in early next week to ask some questions from a more experienced girl. I really feel lost! She said bars, pudding, etc are NOT ALLOWED anymore....even as snacks. The more experienced girl a few weeks ago said, yes, they are good to have a snacks when my sister and i were deciding whether or not to buy more. Surely you can count the pudding as a protein and a bar as a protein and fruit or bread like we always did before? I'm a little leery of not having the structure of the food sheet to plan out my meals.

Do you guys really eat 1 c. of popcorn or the 100 cal. bags that I thought someone mentioned? Egg whites are now free? How many? I could have a 4 egg white omelet and not count it? REAL sugar free jello is free? Not the MRC kind? I could make up a package and eat it throughout the day? Or is there a limit to the free foods?

Any advice would be GREAT! Mindi
Congrats on making it to maintenance!!!

I wouldn't say "No" bars, HNS, etc, but I wouldn't use too many of them. Once you're at maintenance you should pretty much be done with them and getting your nutrition from "real", less processed foods. I wouldn't count the pudding as a protein (but it would be a good snack).

You should still have a "food sheet" and be using it to plan your meals - once I got through stabilization I was told "That's it - that's your new menu for maintenance" ("that" being the final stabilization week). If you want to keep a food journal for awhile longer you can.

Yep, egg whites are "free" - they're pretty much pure protein. And yep, "real" sugar free jello is also a free food. I keep the little single-serve cups on hand in the fridge. You should have a calorie value to your maintenance menu - so you can factor in a 100-calorie bag of popcorn into your eating. A really good way to keep up with your calories now is with the sparkpeople website - you can input your food & it will track your calories. You can also put in an individual recipe and it will calculate the calories per serving for you. It's a great way to watch your calories (and it's surprising how quickly little things can add up) and see how it affects your weight. The site is all free, by the way. Great site.

Last edited by Meemo; 01-03-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:39 PM   #41  

Height: 5'3"

Meemo, I knew you would have some answers for me! Why not count the pudding as a protein? What would I count it as? I'm on the 1200 cal. "program", and supposed to have 9-10 serv. of protein. I just want to be able to use the bars once in awhile when I'm crunched for time. They have to be better than the alternative.....skipping a meal or eating something I shouldn't

So now it doesn't matter when you have a "breakfast" or a "lunch" fruit? Same with the breads? I can have milk with my cereal?

They told me to just create my own meals...no use week 6 as a template, but I assumed that's what I would do. They said I could write it down in a notebook "if I wanted". I may be a little anal, but I like to plan my meals out for the whole next week. I think that has really helped me to be successful.

If we're not supposed to be having the supplements, why do the recipes in the cookbook for maintenance use them, and say...4 oz protein, 1/2 creamy for example? I know, I'm full of questions, but I've come so far that I don't want to screw up now. All of you girls here have helped both me, and my sister out while we have been doing MRC. Mindi
brainsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 05:58 PM   #42  
Judy

Meemo: No one told me that egg whites were "free" food in maintenance. Did you start counting calories or follow their suggestions for the 9-10 servings of protein? I never really got a solid explanation of what constituted a serving of protein. For example, if I were to have 1 egg and 1 oz of cheese for breakfast, then 4 oz of meat or fish for both lunch and dinner, would that be the 10 servings? If so, would I want to cut back on an oz somewhere in the day to get to the 9 servings, especially if my weight is up? Maybe that is why I'm struggling so much, I just don't think I quite understand it.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:48 PM   #43  
Em

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainsgirl View Post
Meemo, I knew you would have some answers for me! Why not count the pudding as a protein? What would I count it as? I'm on the 1200 cal. "program", and supposed to have 9-10 serv. of protein. I just want to be able to use the bars once in awhile when I'm crunched for time. They have to be better than the alternative.....skipping a meal or eating something I shouldn't

So now it doesn't matter when you have a "breakfast" or a "lunch" fruit? Same with the breads? I can have milk with my cereal?

They told me to just create my own meals...no use week 6 as a template, but I assumed that's what I would do. They said I could write it down in a notebook "if I wanted". I may be a little anal, but I like to plan my meals out for the whole next week. I think that has really helped me to be successful.

If we're not supposed to be having the supplements, why do the recipes in the cookbook for maintenance use them, and say...4 oz protein, 1/2 creamy for example? I know, I'm full of questions, but I've come so far that I don't want to screw up now. All of you girls here have helped both me, and my sister out while we have been doing MRC. Mindi
You have the same menu (or food sheet I should say) as I do, I imagine - the 1200 calorie sheet. I wouldn't count the pudding as a protein for the same reason you don't count it as a protein when you're on the green menu. It's in addition to the proteins on the food sheet when you're on the green menu. (And it isn't on the list of proteins on that 1200 calorie sheet In fact there's no HNS listed anywhere on mine. Or on my food journal.) Of course I didn't have a lot of HNS leftover anyway, so it wasn't an issue for me. As far as the bars go, you could still use them as a meal replacement in a pinch, I've grabbed a SlimFast (the low carb kind) when I'm running out the door & haven't eaten (beats driving thru McD's for a burger & fries). And sure, while you have them, I suppose you could use them up by counting them as a protein (not sure exactly how many proteins out of your 8-9 servings you'd count them as though) - I'd just rather have some chicken or beef than an HNS.

I'm looking at my maintenance food journal (from 2 years ago). Yes you can have milk on your morning cereal. I found that I couldn't really handle the maintenance breakfast menu the way they have it set up - too many sugary/starchy carbs between the bread, fruit & milk. So I'd have my usual green menu breakfast with a small (4 oz) fruit yogurt (basically 1/2 serving of milk & less than half serving of fruit). If I had some grapefruit or melon, I'd just skip the yogurt/milk exchange. Otherwise I was setting myself up for cravings all day. You have to listen to your body to figure out what works for you. Not quite as much of an issue at lunch, since there's more protein with lunch to buffer the sugar & starch, but still I'd only have the small yogurt. (I'm not a milk drinker.)

Maybe they have the HNS in the maintenance recipes because they figure people might have leftover HNS they want to use up, or maybe they want to keep selling us HNS when we don't really "need" it anymore! (By the way, they probably told you we can't buy the HNS from the centers unless we're under contract there - most of the vitamins & supplements we can buy, but not the HNS. Of course you can get it from other sources once you're not under contract anymore.)

Bottom line: What's really important is that you get your daily bread, fruit, protein, veggie and milk exchanges in, which will keep you right around your calorie goal unless you start adding a bunch of extras. Doesn't matter, really, exactly which meal (or snack) you have the exchanges at. If you're more comfortable with more structure, especially at first, just keep eating like you did your last week of stabilization. If you can handle it, you can have some yogurt as a snack instead of having your milk exchange at breakfast or lunch. As far as the HNS goes, ask next time you're in - me, I was happy to leave the HNS behind!

I have a "maintenance food journal" I put together on the computer, it's pretty much like theirs but I'd marked out the veggies at breakfast, fruit & milk at dinner, etc - just made it easier since I did that anyway with a pencil. I can send it to you if you'd like. Just send me a private message with your e-mail address.

Hope all this is making sense!
Old 01-04-2009, 08:55 PM   #44  
Em

Quote:
Meemo: No one told me that egg whites were "free" food in maintenance. Did you start counting calories or follow their suggestions for the 9-10 servings of protein? I never really got a solid explanation of what constituted a serving of protein. For example, if I were to have 1 egg and 1 oz of cheese for breakfast, then 4 oz of meat or fish for both lunch and dinner, would that be the 10 servings? If so, would I want to cut back on an oz somewhere in the day to get to the 9 servings, especially if my weight is up? Maybe that is why I'm struggling so much, I just don't think I quite understand it.
On my 1200 calorie food sheet, under the Proteins it says "Egg White - free". Now maybe that's changed, I don't know - this was 2 years ago.
I pretty much tried to stick with the way it was set up at first. I also did the calorie counting using sparkpeople just to see how many calories I was really getting day to day. This food journal I'm looking at was when I'd gone back & had picked up a couple of lbs - she had me trying to stick with 8-9 oz of protein while I was doing the maintenance menu strictly trying to get back down. My food sheet says 1 oz equals 1 serving unless otherwise indicated (for cottage cheese, peanut butter, a few other things). And to get 8-9 servings daily. I don't know that the extra oz of protein would totally throw you off, though. I think mostly just stick with the proteins you were having on the green menu (I know peanut butter is a huge issue for me) until you get things back where you want them. But again I'd ask at the center - they can probably tell you better than me!
Old 01-05-2009, 09:53 AM   #45  
Judy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemo View Post
On my 1200 calorie food sheet, under the Proteins it says "Egg White - free". Now maybe that's changed, I don't know - this was 2 years ago.
I pretty much tried to stick with the way it was set up at first. I also did the calorie counting using sparkpeople just to see how many calories I was really getting day to day. This food journal I'm looking at was when I'd gone back & had picked up a couple of lbs - she had me trying to stick with 8-9 oz of protein while I was doing the maintenance menu strictly trying to get back down. My food sheet says 1 oz equals 1 serving unless otherwise indicated (for cottage cheese, peanut butter, a few other things). And to get 8-9 servings daily. I don't know that the extra oz of protein would totally throw you off, though. I think mostly just stick with the proteins you were having on the green menu (I know peanut butter is a huge issue for me) until you get things back where you want them. But again I'd ask at the center - they can probably tell you better than me!
I just got out all the sheets they gave me when I ended stabilization. They gave me 2 food exchange pages, a maintenance exchange sheet, and a 1500 calorie sheet. Our maintenance support group starts tonight, so I'll ask about the food sheet and a 1200 calorie sheet. I did go out and register on Sparkpeople, so maybe that will help. I have a hunch that part of my problem of the creeping up in weight is that I've been using the 1500 calories as a guide.

Thanks, so much, Meemo! You are really the MRC guru on 3FC! If I send you a private message, would you mind sending me the journal you mentioned to the other post?

Judy
Gma to 4