Old 03-14-2004, 09:00 PM   #1  

Default LCFS week of March 14th

Hi,
I wrote a longer post earlier and I thought I posted it, but it's not anywhere to be found now, so I"ll try again.

I hope everyone is doing well. I've been trying to start to exercise again and I found out, I"ve lost a lot of muscle and flexibility in 1 1/2 months of not exercising. It's surprising how fast you can lose it. DH is also exericising and dieting (somewhat) and he of course is losing weight much quicker.

Aleka, I saw on the news that Krispy Kremes are going to come out with a sugarfree donut. Sales must be off since I quit eating them and they're trying to entice me back. I will have to try them, I sure hope they are trying to cut the calories too.

Talk to you all tomorrow, Nikki
Old 03-15-2004, 07:08 AM   #2  

Angry

Hello everyone,

Hope all of you had a good weekend. We got a dusting of snow overnight and from what I hear, we're in for a snowy week.

nikki, isn't it amazing how much muscle mass you can lose in so short a time? It takes so long to build muscle but doesn't take that long to lose it. Too bad it wasn't the other way around. Has the foil worked on the fish tank? Do you think Stripes will eventually leave the fish alone and you can take the foil off? The joys of owning a cat, rather I should say, the joys of being owned by a cat. DH & I will be leaving on our vacation to FL in 3 weeks...yes, we're counting. We only know of 1 Krispy Kreme Donut place on our way, and that's in Norfolk, VA. We plan on staying in Va Beach one night, and we'll stop at that Krispy Kreme on our way to the highway. We stopped there once many years ago and liked it, but have never been back again. This time we're going to get the glazed donuts that come right out of the oven. DH & I really aren't donut people, but once in a while we like to have one.

lynn, did you get a lot of snow? Glad that water situation is better. Hope you had a good time at the Irish Dinner. Thank you for posting that poem. It was really cute. It reminded me that I have something I got off the internet, HSN boards, to be exact, that I would like to share. I'll go look for it and post it later.

Hi ANNE, sugar hope you both are doing well.

Enjoy your Monday ladies.
Aleka
Old 03-15-2004, 07:21 AM   #3  

Good Morning Everyone!!!
Hope you all enjoyed a pleasant weekend
Aleka, we too have a dusting of snow. Will it ever end? Last night we
had a wind storm of sorts as well.

Nikki, I haven't been doing my exercise recently either. It is great you have
gotten yourself back on track. How are you enjoying your new program?
I am finding it so difficult to get myself back to being as motivated as I once
was. I have to start thinking about the summer weather and not wearing
jackets anymore!!! I don't know about anyone else but I always felt
comfortable hiding beneath a jacket

The kids are out of school this week because it is our March break. I am
at work though. I am saving my vacation time for Davids medical and school
appts.

Another week of I can hardly wait.
Talk to you all later!!!!
Anne.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:42 AM   #4  

Morning eveyone,
We are suppose to get 4-8" of snow today. I'm not surprised, it snows up through April around here. When I really hate it, is when the flowers are all blooming and then we get a big ice storm. Then I get out the hose and try to wash the ice off them before the sun hits them. This does save them, but it's a real pain in the behind.

Aleka, I'll bet your looking forward to going to FLA. What a wonderful time of the year to go down there. Hopefully by the time you get back, spring will have over taken NH too. I've never had a fresh Krispy Kreme. They ship them down every night and they have them in our local grocery stores and a few gas stations. I would never lose weight if we had a factory close, I"d be there everyday, probably work there
Yes, the foil has worked. I'll have to always keep it there, Stripe watches the tank like it's a TV set. It doesn't show from the front, so it's ok. I bought several more fish for the tank and it is all set up now. It is very soothing to watch.

Anne, I was wondering how you are. I was hiding in my coat for a long time too. When my weight started to creep back up (to 230), I really started to look bloated again. I've lost 7 lbs so far. The other day it was 8, but I must have some water issues going on. It's funny how losing just a small amount makes such a difference in the way you look. I know it's hard to get motivated. I'm sure having a hard time wanting to exercise again. It seems so hard and I feel so stiff and out of shape. They need an icon for whiner, because that's the way I'm being right now WAWAWA. I sure can come up with enough excuses to not exercise though, when it comes time to do something. (I'm full, I'm hungry, I'm tired, I have other things to do). Maybe, I'll try doing just a bit to start. That way, I won't feel like a loser because I'll be able to do it all and I'll be able to find a starting point that I can continue from.

Well, talked myself into getting on the gazelle for a quick 15 min stroll. Talk to you all later, Nikki
Old 03-15-2004, 09:05 AM   #5  

I've read a lot of information lately about eating protein and that eating larger quantities of animal protein (beef especially) increases your level of homocystine. I just read this letter to Dr Weil and thought it was interesting, so thought I'd post it here for you to check out if you want to. He has always promoted eating healthfully.

http://www.drweil.com/app/cda/drw_cd...76-pt=Question

My mom developed alzheimers when she was in her 40's. They say that studies show that it is much more likely that I will develope it because of the young age she first showed signs of it. Because of that, I'm for ever looking for signs of it in myself. I think it's a good idea to learn all you can about how to improve the quality of your life. There are so many shoulds and shouldn'ts and it's important to see if things are valid or just a bunch of hot air. Moderation in all things is probably the best in the end.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:15 AM   #6  

Goodmorning Everyone: I'm not being notified about postings again. Did you post yesterday Nikki? I kept checking and since I don't know how to open new thread's couldn't start one. Krispy creme came to Canada about 2 years ago. They opened 4 or so in the GTA (greater Toronto area), the line-up's for when the donuts came out were causing traffic jams!!! They are also aailable in some stores. Anyway everyone tried them but most people I have spoken to all agreed that they are to sweet. That includes DH who has a real sweet tooth. Canadian's are all addicted to Tim Horton's and we compare coffee, muffins and donuts to T.H. I am still not exercising like I should. I am so tired all the time. Nikki I need the whinner icon more than you. Last night I had a good sleep so am going to get the little things done that I have been putting off, orgainizing cupboards etc. if I'm still not tired after all is done I am going to exercise. Had a great day with DD on Saturday. We had lunch out and enjoyed a great day. Rented a "girlie" movie for the evening. Dinner was great!!!! It was a very happy day for us all. We miss her so much. We both would like to turn back the clock to when she was still living with us. Unfortunately time marches on and at her age 28, if she still lived at home we would be a Dr. Phil show. Sunday DH did his sunday brunch that he always did at home. As Jena said every time she wakes up to the smell of bacon she thinks she's young again and at home. Jena fixed my computer. I had only done part of the job, I had forgotten to change the font size. We didn't get too much snow thank god! It is bright and sunny today but very cold. Well ladies you all have a great day I am going to try and cut and past a cute joke on menopause. Talk to you later.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:37 AM   #7  

Wink For Dog Lovers, Dog Rules

1. Dogs are never permitted in the house. The dog stays outside in a specially built wooden compartment named, for very good reason, the dog house.
2. Okay, the dog can enter the house, but only for short visits or if his own house is under renovation.
3. Okay, the dog can stay in the house on a permanent basis, provided his dog house can be sold in a yard sale to a rookie dog owner.
4. Inside the house, the dog is not allowed to run free and is confined to a comfortable but secure metal cage.
5. Okay, the cage becomes part of a two-for-one deal along with the dog house in the yard sale, and the dog can go wherever he pleases.
6. The dog is never allowed on the furniture.
7. Okay, the dog can get on the old furniture, but not the new furniture.
8. Okay, the dog can get up on the new furniture until it looks like the old furniture and then we'll sell the whole works and buy new furniture...upon which the dog will most definitely not be allowed.
9. The dog never sleeps on the bed. Period!
10. Okay, the dog can sleep at the foot of the bed.
11. Okay, the dog can sleep along side of you, but he's not allowed under the covers.
12. Okay, the dog can sleep under the covers but not with his head on the pillow.
13. Okay, the dog can sleep alongside you under the covers with his head on the pillow, but if he snores he's got to leave the room.
14. Okay, the dog can sleep and snore and have nightmares in bed, but he's not to come in and sleep on the couch in the TV room, where I am now sleeping. That's just not fair.
15. The dog never gets listed on the census questionnaire as "primary resident" even if it's true.

This is how it is in my house with Lacee.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:38 AM   #8  

Signs of Menopause
>
>
>You sell your home heating system at a yard sale.
>
>Your husband jokes that instead of buying a wood stove, he is using
you
>to heat the family room this winter. Rather than just saying you are
>not amused, you shoot him.
>
>You have to write post-it notes with your kids' names on them.
>
>The Phenobarbital dose that wiped out the Heaven's Gate Cult gives you
>four hours of decent rest.
>
>You change your underwear after every sneeze.
>
>You're on so much estrogen that you take your Brownie troop on a field
>trip to Chippendales.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:51 AM   #9  

Hi Again: Aleka I laughed, that was us any every dog we have ever had. I think one of the reasons I am sleeping so little is the silence. Coco's snoring was a comforting sound I miss dearly. I sent it on to jena. I also printed a copy for my Coco book. Thanks
Old 03-15-2004, 02:05 PM   #10  
Sugardrop

Oh my goodness, ladies, I have missed you all!!! Lively reading! What a lot has happened on this thread (and last week's) since I have been able to get online. My computer has been a little askew this weekend. My dear consultant, DS, finally had time for old mom and straightened me out!

It was a little disappointing Friday morning to not have but a .2 loss but at least it wasn't a gain. I was having such a hungry time of it without what I consider enough protein (counting points) so I sort of shifted back onto counting carbs. How wishy washy I am. I know what you all mean when you have been saying that you seem to have become obsessed with whatever food plan you are following at the moment. I hate it! Following WW to the letter last week was very very hard. I finally gave in on Sunday and had one of my fave low carb related breakfasts...three eggs beaten up with 2 oz. of melted cream cheese, two packets of splenda, and a shot of vanilla...and sort of turned into pancakes. Makes four really nice ones. Goodness, was I a happy camper when I polished them off!!! That is what shifted my emphasis back to the carb counting, except now I really miss the fruit I was having.......Where did you say that whiner icon is????????

I love the thought of Stripe sitting around with a smug chesshire cat smirk on his face. Sounds like you got the perfect toy for him, Nikkic. Congratulations on your loss. I am so proud of you. You inspire me to keep trying to do good things.

Aleka, what do you think of the low carb peanutbutter by Jiff? I haven't seen it yet and usually either get Smuckers no salt no sugar or get some fresh ground if/when we ever get to KC to the little health food store...every few months. How are you doing with your points this week? Have you lost any? Still counting...or are you shifting around too? Probably not if you are paying to go to meetings. The dog tale is great too.

Lynn, I loved your tale of the boots! I am really glad that you are getting some relief from the water.

I went out to my 30-foot stream and water garden yesterday for a five minute "girl" walk but it turned into 3 hours. I discovered a bumper crop of leaves had blown in and matted down all over my flowers and shrubs and was killing them. That is the wedding site and it looks like a disaster. I hadn't checked it for a month or so and it has gotten totally out of control. I got out my leaf blower but things were so wet they wouldn't hardly budge...just laid there like a wet blanket. One thing led to another and I worked all afternoon. Lucianne worked right alongside me...cheerfully frightening off every bird, squirrel, or person walking in the street 100 feet away in an attempt to keep me safe from all. Rosalee wanted to keep the pace and tried valiantly, but the lure of a puddle of sunshine was calling and she curled up in a ball to doze the last hour. Her stamina isn't as great as her boss's. Lucianne would demand payment (a kiss) every so often and a hug as well. During one of those moments, I noticed she was dirty as a little pig from getting right in the middle of all the blowing muddy leaves. When I drug my exhausted buns into the house ready to collapse, first I had to put them both directly from the porch floor onto the kitchen cabinet and give them baths. I could have skipped Rosalee because her nap saved her coat, but she wouldn't have been able to have stood the neglect!!! Good thing we are having some rain here today so we can all rest up. By Wednesday it is supposed to be 60 though so back out to the yard.

Encouragement surely makes the pursuit of our common goal easier, doesn't it? I hope we can all hang tough this week with temptations and have a good report at the end of it. Good to hear your antics again, gals.

Sugardrop

Last edited by Sugardrop; 03-15-2004 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:19 PM   #11  

Welcome back Sugar: I have been wondering were you were. I was beginning to think something had happened to you or yours. Glad to hear it was only computer problems. LOVED your story about the girls. Are they in a puppy cut?
Old 03-15-2004, 05:30 PM   #12  
Sugardrop

Lynn, Rosalee is a perfect Yorkie cut. The breeder (Gigi) told me if all her dogs had coats like Rosalee she would be a wealthy woman! Because of her dimunitive size, Rosalee is not a possibility to breed. We had her spayed at once when we got her because, if it wasn't safe for Gigi to find her a mate with all her experience, it certainly wouldn't be safe for me living here and alone! I didn't mean to get into all that...just to say that her coat is to the floor, thick and lusterous, very black and shiny, and her head, ears, tiny face, and front section are a perfect golden. She is a princess and knows it. Lucianne, on the other hand is an actual show dog but on the small size (4 pounds)...perfect in stature and Yorkie coloring except that her gold is nearly platinum blond. It is very striking, especially when the two of them are side by side. Because she is such a tomboy, rolling on her back, begging DH to scratch her tummy all the time, is a "working dog" in the flower beds, it is impossible to have her in a long coat. Two years ago she got tangled in those little sticky balls that come on marigolds in the autumn. She got all her legs stuck together and managed to drag herself to me on her side for help. Pitiful, pitiful. I had to cut huge wads out of her coat to free her. As a result of that, Gigi inspected the damage and said she would design a "cute" cut for her special personality. She clipped the back pretty short with clippers down the top third of her sides. That part is all black. The hair on her legs is long and she has a mid-length overskirt, all of which are platinum. Her head and ears are shaped like a long lion's mane...platinum too. Both of them wear little baby headbands. Lucianne's is erect like a little ubangi from Africa and Rosalee's is a long ladylike affair. I had to learn to use clippers on Lucianne because we don't have any groomers locally but she is very good.

I wish I knew how to put a picture on like Aleka and Nikkic do. I have no idea and my attempts have failed miserably.

Sugardrop
Old 03-15-2004, 07:20 PM   #13  

Hi,
Lynn, I haven't gotten any notification of new posts either. I didn't think anyone had posted since I did this morning, then opened the thread and boy, lots of wonderful postings and reading to do Look St. Patty's Day icons
We don't have Tim Horton's around here, in fact, I've never heard of it. I am a real sugar addict, I can eat 6-8 Krispy Kremes at a sitting. DH is amazed at my ability to eat myself into nearly a diabetic coma. It's certainly not my most proudest moment, but it's why I'm over weight, so I accept it and just try to avoid eating that stuff. I try very hard to keep all food that I binge on out of the house. I got a good laugh out of the menopause post. I can identify with so many things there. That sneezing business, thank goodness for light day pads

Sugar!!!! So glad your back. I wondered if you would come back, I'm so glad you did, I missed "talking" to you. These darned computers, they should be much easier to use, in my opinion. You shouldn't have to learn all kinds of stuff to use them, but they never tell you that when you buy one. I got some kind of package that cost over $200 that was suppose to be a home tutor that explains it all to me. Needless to say, it was very confusing and I got nothing out of it. I bought PC's for Dummies and got more out of that. It's an entertaining book too. The more you talk about your little angels, the more I am convinenced I have to have one (or two). DH is against it. He says we don't need any more animals and that they cost too much. I think Mr. Stripe would have a ball with a little dog sister or brother. He is the most congenial cat and loves everyone. PJ doesn't like dogs or cats, but she wouldn't be a problem. I may just have to be happy living vicariously through your posts of your puppies though. I don't know how to post pictures either. I imported that picture from another website. I don't have a scanner or a digital camera. Maybe Aleka can tell you how to do it. This cat looks somewhat like Stripe. Stripe has a different colored undercoat from the fur on top, underneath, its a sable brown. He is a much handsomer cat than this guy. Although, I think it's more personality than looks with him.

Aleka, I hadn't seen that post on dogs on HSN. That is very funny and true. I think of the cats too. All our furniture was new, then we found PJ and she started to systematically shred it all. Then there are the cabinets in the kitchen. I don't allow cats on my cabinets, but Stripe seems to ignore this rule and boldly strolls around the sink when I'm washing dishes. I can't deny him anything, so I just laugh at him. My DD was appalled and amazed that I would allow him up there, as I was so firm with all the other cats in the past about staying off. I am his human, he is not my cat, is all I can say

We are getting snow like you won't believe. They say we might end up with 12 inches and then freezing rain. At least it will warm back up soon and melt it quickly. DH is out now, trying to help a friend get his car out of the ditch. It is on a busy highway on a hill and it's getting dark out. He didn't want to do it, but his friend is so stubborn and insistent. I thought this is one of those stupid things that men do. His friend really is stupid and DH never has been able to tell this guy no when he asks for help.

Take care, NIkki
Old 03-16-2004, 07:32 AM   #14  

Angry

Morning,

DH gave me a gift certificate for my favorite retail store for Christmas, so yesterday he & I went shopping. Well..he dropped me off at the store and he went and did his thing, then met me in the parking lot. I am fairly short, 5'2", and have good luck with petite sizes in pants, but not with blouses. I saw this blouse I adored in the petite section, a size L. I've usually been buying XL in regular misses. I looked everywhere in misses section for that blouse, but couldn't find it. So, went back to the the petite section and told myself that I would never know if the blouse will fit if I didn't try it on. I tried it on and IT FIT!!! The blouse is made out of denim material and has some pretty pink flowers on it. It's a great blouse to wear as a camp shirt over a tank top.

sugar, congratulations on your weight loss. Any amount you lose is great. I was so glad to see your post and was wondering where you were. Your Yorkie stories are so nice, and they both sound so adorable. I honestly have no idea of how to put in an avatar, DH had to walk me through it. I asked for his help to tell you how to put in a photo by your name. Go to your Private Messages, there will be a control panel on your left. Click onto Edit Avatar. When that page comes up, scroll down to bottom of page to "Upload Avatar From Your Computer", hit "BROWSE". A box should appear with your picture file. Then pick out the picture you want and attatch it. The dimensions are below where you click "Browse". You may have to make the picture smaller, I believe it's called thumbnail. You can also choose an avatar from any of the photos you see on the page. I'm floundering in the diet dept. myself. I have stopped going to WW meetings. The last one I went to I was wondering what in the world I was doing there. Right now I am watching my portions and making better food choices. I have a good calorie counting book and use it as a reference guide for making lower calorie choices. Now, if only I could add exercise in the equation, I'd be doing well. I am still doing SS Torso Trak faithfully, I just have to start walking again.

nikki, I love your stories about Stripes. We had a cat that liked to jump up on the counter while I was doing dishes and drink water out of the running faucet. We never allowed our cats to get on the dining room table. One day I got home from work and there was one of our cats was asleep on the table in the sun. Of course I yelled, she opened her eyes, yawned, and gave me a look that said, how dare you wake me!! We're supposed to get snow later today, maybe it's the storm you had. I don't know exactly how much we're supposed to get, the weathermen on our only station can't seem to agree on anything, except that the storm is coming. We're supposed to get another one Thurs. I'm so sorry about your mother developing alzheimers at such an early age. That must have been rough on everyone in your family.

lynn, we don't have a Tim Hortons here in NH either. But, I have seen commercials for it on a Maine TV station. I loved that menopause joke. How true. Glad that you had such a good time with your D. Do you have any free time where you could take a nap in the afternoon? Personally, I am not a nap person, but whenever I have a terrible night's sleep, Lacee & I will lay down after lunch and an hour's sleep or less can do wonders.

ANNE, sometimes when you are on an eating plan for any length of time you do get less motivated. Maybe you can try something else to shake things up a bit. You'll get back on track soon. Hope your day went well yesterday.

Have a great day everyone.
Aleka

Last edited by aleka; 03-16-2004 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:02 AM   #15  

Good morning,
We weren't suppose to get much snow, to begin with. Then they said 4-6" and guess what? It's the third largest snow fall in history. We got 14 " in less than 18 hours. The snow is waist deep around the truck. We are suppose to get another "small" snow storm this evening. Boy, I sure hope it is. They must have taken the blades off the trucks, because they didn't plow the streets. DD gets off of work at 10pm, so DH went to take her home in the car. He said that if he stopped, he would have been stuck, so he just kept moving. When he got to her place to drop her off, she could barely get the door open, the snow was so deep. He had to get the car rocking to get it to move again. So, I guess I was kind of surprised about this snow fall after all.
Good for you, Aleka, so happy to hear about your blouse! I can't imagine being that small again. I can't seem to see the difference between a small, medium or large anymore. They just all look tiny to me. I have a "uniform" of sorts. I wear denim or Khaki loose leggings and a 3/4 sleeve, v neck shirt. I have them in all colors. I can throw a jacket over it and look a little dressy and if not, I'm just right for the house or the garden. I hate fussing over clothes and since I have no where to go anymore, it is mostly dressing for the cats anyway . I like camp shirts, because like you say, you can put it on over a tank or wear it buttoned up. They seem appropriate almost everywhere.

I have to go jump on the gazelle for a quick 15. I'll see you all later, Nikki