Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 09:25 AM   #316  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Thursday morning, driving into the office for the first time in about two weeks, and I found myself enjoying the sight of myself in full makeup, dressed for work in nice slacks and a cashmere twinset. It improved my posture and my mood, as it felt like an accomplishment.

Weight at 152 exactly, which helps.

Also I had my year-end review yesterday and it was quite good. And I have a line on a new job internally, which would be a step up.

But I have too damn much to do and will fail to make a deadline I'd set for myself.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:44 AM   #317  
Girl Gone Strong

Friday morning, back up to 154.1. I am disappointed in my lack of progress. I thought once I was home again and back in my familiar routine, this would naturally lead to a loss of weight gained from stress.

The contractor isn't back from vacation in his home country till Jan. 19th.

At work, I'm relieved to have made progress on an internal quality award judging process, which I'm running again this year. And once again, it's amazing to me how, in a four-day week, I would be so pleased to see Friday.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:33 AM   #318  
Workin' It

I've completed day 6 of my yoga revolution program, and exercised four day in a row. My legs and shoulders are definitely letting me know, too. I'm down a little today over Tuesday, but not going to update anything yet. I'm wfh today with the potential for weather crazy down here (more likely to be people crazy in anticipation of weather crazy that I predict will be no big deal). It is harder to move around when I'm working here, as I don't have a standing desk at home. Have to make myself stand up every 40 minutes, set an alarm to remind me.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:51 PM   #319  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

I'm trying hard to get back on the exercise wagon - we got sick on Christmas Day with an XXL viral infection, then I had a week of work, then an 8-hour drive to my parents, New years' weekend with my family, and a 12-hour drive back on Monday that included hours parked on the freeway due to a blizzard that caused a bad crash. Then a week of work. The coughing is finally stopped, almost. Saef, I can't agree more about how a 4-day work week can still feel SO LONG.

These very short days and the cold are not helpful. The ice here hasn't melted for a month on the bike lanes/sidewalks so running and riding are no good (though I see people out running on ice; they were also wearing shorts and T shirts while it was 13 degrees this morning). I've got to wrap my head around the fact that this is where I live now, and I'll never see daylight on work days so it's time to face the college kid-crammed campus gym.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:46 AM   #320  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZeeJay View Post
I'm trying hard to get back on the exercise wagon - we got sick on Christmas Day with an XXL viral infection, then I had a week of work, then an 8-hour drive to my parents, New years' weekend with my family, and a 12-hour drive back on Monday that included hours parked on the freeway due to a blizzard that caused a bad crash. Then a week of work. The coughing is finally stopped, almost. Saef, I can't agree more about how a 4-day work week can still feel SO LONG.

These very short days and the cold are not helpful. The ice here hasn't melted for a month on the bike lanes/sidewalks so running and riding are no good (though I see people out running on ice; they were also wearing shorts and T shirts while it was 13 degrees this morning). I've got to wrap my head around the fact that this is where I live now, and I'll never see daylight on work days so it's time to face the college kid-crammed campus gym.
Just a thought Jayzeejay. I work out at home, in my living room. I heave the coffee table and the dog and cat beds on to the couch and I have enough space to use hand weights and do my yoga. I don't use DVD's but could, or I could stream from the laptop to the TV.

Would some kind of similar arrangement work for you? Or, for cardio, maybe a stationary bike. Or a stand for the back wheel of your regular bike?

Dagmar
Old 01-07-2017, 07:21 AM   #321  
Girl Gone Strong

Saturday morning. Winter has descended. I thought I had the day planned, but the weather forecast tells me I'd better scrap my list of errands and pleasures and quickly draw up another.

I'm at 152.6. My goal for the weekend is not to get to 154 by Monday morning. That's all I'm asking of myself, in addition to going through my regular workouts.

I'll try to enjoy my apartment today, since I'm likely to be confined to it for many hours.
Old 01-07-2017, 05:17 PM   #322  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

It's cold and getting colder; 14F was the high today (but "feels like 0" per the ever-helpful weather.com site), heading down to 6. Cold weather like this usually makes me ragingly hungry so I'm not sure who to thank for the fact that I seem to be faintly queasy and un-hungry.

So far, I've escaped all viruses this year so I am just a little worried that my queasiness is the beginning of the stomach bug that's been going around at work. Also seems like many of us Maintainer regulars have gotten sick in the last couple of weeks, so I wish you all a quick and complete recovery.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:49 PM   #323  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Andrea, hope you dodge the viral bullet if at all possible. And I need to stop complaining about the weather here, it's not as cold as that. Do you exercise outdoors?

Dagmar, it's not a bad idea. We're in a weeny little townhouse so I can't have anything big, but maybe one of those bike stands. My only space is in the garage and it's cold out there, but at least it's an available place to exercise at night.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:43 PM   #324  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I'm one of those down for the count. I've been sick since New Years Eve. Caught a nasty cold from my nephew, then flew home on New Years Day. I was so excited to have a week off from work but I've been miserable. Cold is finally abating somewhat but now I've got some sort of a flu that's knocked me on my ***. Soooooo sick and dh has it too. I go back to work Monday and I'm just praying I feel better by then.

The plus side is that I have zero appetite so my weight is going in the right direction for now.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:55 AM   #325  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZeeJay View Post

Dagmar, it's not a bad idea. We're in a weeny little townhouse so I can't have anything big, but maybe one of those bike stands. My only space is in the garage and it's cold out there, but at least it's an available place to exercise at night.
I exercise at home and it's a small house. The only place big enough for an exercise mat is the kitchen but I have to work round the SO and DB, of course. I can do weights in the sitting room but have to mind the light ... In the main, it works well and it's so much better than the gymn. I gave that up for safety reasons (not enough supervision of showing off with weights near the floor exercise area) and the 'music' hurt my ears and sensibilities.

Sympathy to all you people with colds and viruses. I am OK but very tired after lots of concentration in different directions over an extended period. I've given myself a week's convalescence and am starting to feel a bit better. Weight stable over the festive period and now I want to buckle down again.

Oh yes! Nurse concerned about a high blood pressure reading so I've done a week of bp monitoring at home. All normal and my resting heart rate is lower than I thought it would be.

Good to see you all here.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:15 AM   #326  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

My hubby's been down with what I think is a mild version of the flu (I made him get a flu shot and it turns out that strain is making the rounds) for over two weeks now. He hates going to doctors so I've let it go. If he's not better this week I'm ordering him to go to at least a walk-in clinic.

I'm fine while everyone else around me falls sick it seems. Working outside and having limited contact with people does have its upside.

Hope you all feel better soon!

Dagmar
Old 01-08-2017, 06:54 AM   #327  
Girl Gone Strong

Sunday morning, and I'm up to 152.9. Again, my goal is to be under 154 when I weigh in tomorrow morning. I did not think there would be an increase since I wasn't snacking yesterday and I was moving around for much of the day, rejoicing in being back in my kitchen and having an oven. I put it to good use, roasting a tray of vegetables, making an egg bake, roasting stuffed Cornish hens, filling the air with delicious smells.

Today I've got to dig out my car for the first time this year -- that is, if I want to go anywhere. And I do. One day indoors is enough.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:17 PM   #328  

There's some free Leslie Sansone (and other) exercise videos on YT that i use, takes a very small space, i especially like the 2-3 mile ones with weights..they're low impact walking exercises that use a lot of muscle groups, so that is a suggestion for those not wanting to go to the gym.

i'm sure also there are other kinds of exercise videos on YT.

Of course, i use my desktop for internet, not having a smart phone, also have a "smart" TV so i can do the exercises, couldn't imagine following them on a phone, LOL
Old 01-09-2017, 09:28 AM   #329  
Girl Gone Strong

Monday morning, about 12 degrees outside and I had to drive in early for a meeting, then my headset didn't work for the videoconference. Also there's a large dump of documents coming through.

Also I did not attain my goal: I'm 154.3 this morning, due to having an oversized bowl of black-eyed pea, collard and ham soup for dinner. The salt and the fiber don't help.

At least I went outside yesterday and saw "Elle," with the marvelous Isabelle Huppert, who I see won a Golden Globe Award last night.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:49 AM   #330  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Monday morning after a 4 day weekend in Dallas where the temperatures didn't seem to get above 28. Biting wind, blowing snow. So glad to be home despite the rain here today. The weekend's food was atrocious to say the least. Copious amounts of wine and finger food and the catered meals were certainly carb heavy. I see everyone has confessed their weight so I will do the same as perhaps I'll be more accountable because of it. 174.8 this morning. Higher than my beginning weight from way back when.

That said, I have next to my desk a package from Amazon containing new workout clothes (mainly because all my other workout clothes are from years ago when I was running and weighed a lot less and therefore do not fit anymore). Tomorrow morning is going to be my first workout of the new year.
Closed Thread