Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 09:26 AM   #436  
Workin' It

Hey flower123! Yes, exactly what Jay said. Some of us maintained for years, some (read me here) gained a little at a time over a few years until all of a sudden it sunk in how much had changed. We are all a work in progress, and the way we use the thread changes over time. We have a good core group of people, though. There is also a tread for a smaller amount of loss with a lot of our regulars in it and a chat thread that consolidates all of us together more. You will see us pop in and out of all three, so there are lots of places for support. Welcome aboard.

I did five miles on the trail by my office this morning after dropping the boy at school. Did some yoga when I got up and day two of my balance headspace series. As is often the case with me, my exercise is good but my food isn't the best. I decided I needed a mini box of raisins last night while the boys played Harry Potter on the XBox and that quickly became a snack bag of goldfish crackers. I stopped after that. I had forgotten that raisins often made me crave other things, unless I have them with nuts or cheese or something. This is what I get for dipping into the boy's snack bag.

Headspace has on the go single meditations on things like commuting, fear of flying, sleep, eating, running, that kind of thing. Today I did the running one. I listened to the intro one first that was all Andy talking about focus items and feelings while running and state of mind and such, prepping for a guided meditation during the run. Did the second one in the last 1.5 miles of the run. Next time I think I will do that one right at the beginning, or after a small warmup. I can see where it would be good to carry through the entire thing. I am surprised at the impact I see when I just turn my thoughts to something like my feet hitting the ground or the creek sound next to me, it takes my focus off the fact that my sock itches or I want to stop because I just want to stop.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:29 AM   #437  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Welcome flower123!

Thursday morning, down .2, still not where I was two weekend ago, and with tonight's dinner I don't hope to be there tomorrow, either.

S-good 7 hours
E-skipping today
B-yogurt
L-salad and yogurt
D-steak and ???
Old 03-18-2016, 02:31 AM   #438  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
Hey flower123! ......There is also a tread for a smaller amount of loss with a lot of our regulars in it and a chat thread that consolidates all of us together more.
Hi Shannon Thanks for the welcome. I appreciate the info about the other 2 threads. Would you mind telling me the exact names of them. I would like to check them out. I pretty much only have posted on one thread at 3fc all this time. Awesome that you exercise a lot.

alinnel Thanks for the welcome. Congrats on the .2 loss. Every ounce helps

I think I am down a bit from the day before. I ate so much on Monday that Tues and wed weight was a disaster. Today I ate too many apples (my latest addiction). Other than that it wasn't too horrible. I think I will get a ticker for the 5.6 lbs I need to lose to get back down to maintenance weight. Sounds like a good idea. My goal for Friday is to do 10 minutes on my mini trampoline. I have a natural and deep held aversion to exercise watching the emoji was even a bit of an effort

I hope everyone has a great Friday.

Last edited by flower123; 03-18-2016 at 02:33 AM.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:18 AM   #439  

Weight up this morning, which wasn't unexpected as we went out to a steakhouse for dinner last night. The sides were very salty. I didn't overeat, but I did have wine and they brought a chocolate dessert for my birthday (the four of us shared that).

S-okay 7ish hours. I didn't sleep as well as I would have liked but my neck isn't as sore, so that's good
E-will walk the dogs tonight, taking a longer route
B-yogurt
L-not sure if we'll go out to lunch or not
D-cod dish of some sort
Old 03-18-2016, 11:28 AM   #440  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Flower: welcome!

Shannon: good job on the pre-work run! In answer to your question, our house was purchased with home loans from my academic institution. The caveats to the deal are that I have to pay back the loans before my last day of work, so either we sell the house or we refinance it (which is a waste of money if we're just going to sell it 2 months later); and that if the house appreciates, they take a good chunk of the profit.

I'm having an off week. Combo of stress, trying to finish up much research before this funding dries up, plus navigating government paperwork to transfer my federal grant to a new place, plus selling the house. In any case, I feel exhausted and cheerless, and am struggling to avoid sugar. There's some irony to this: the main reason we're moving and I'm changing jobs is to get to a less-stressful environment. If I can just survive the next 6 months...
Old 03-18-2016, 01:40 PM   #441  
Workin' It

Flower - the weekly chat is from the main Living Maintenance page and usually titled Maintainers Weekly Chat ..... with the dates listed, new one every week. Here is the link for this week: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/livi...ml#post5247626 The other one is http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/livi...-bit-more.html.

JZJ - that makes sense. I hope it sells! The stress will calm down once you get settled. You can make it.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 03-18-2016 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:52 PM   #442  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

I haven't fallen off the face of the earth yet! First week on the new job was predictably chaotic with getting all sorts of access to stuff, learning my way around, shadowing other people, etc. I'd say I'm 90% set up with the things I'll need and developing the work relationships. Also, this week I started tracking my food again and I am beginning to replace some bad evening habits acquired over the past year with more productive choices. Annnnnnd ... I signed up for a 10 mile run in August (Crim Festival of Races) when I learned that the training group now meets at a gorgeous (and expensive) health club that is only 2 miles from where I work. But the training fee included 15 free passes to the club, and it has a very nice lap pool that happens to open at 5am.
Old 03-19-2016, 02:25 AM   #443  

Hi from the new kid on the block. I hope to soon get to know you all better. But am grateful for the warm welcome.

aliennell sounds like it was your birthday. Happy Birthday. I hope it was a good one. Chocolate desert and wine sounds pretty good to me.

Jay Zee Jay thanks for the welcome. Times of transition from one thing to another can be so stressful. Even if the goal and end result is a reduction in stress. Sorry you are in the thick of it.

Shannon, thanks for the info. And links. I really appreciate it.

ICUwishing sounds like you are embarking on a great new exercise program. 10 mile run training program/group and a great health club. It all sounds great !!

Today I resisted a lot of bad stuff. But I rue the day i discovered low fat peanut flour. It tastes way too good in mock ice cream with low fat sugar free chocolate sauce. I am hooked on it. Need an intervention. Other than that and the 3 apples, I did great. Resisted all other cravings/urges. I set a goal of 10 minutes on the trampoline. I guess I'd better get busy and do that.

instead of having a ticker for how much I want to lose, I will simply say each day how many lbs I need to lose to get back down to goal weight. Thursday was the last time I weighed. And it was 6 lbs. Tomorrow I am not going to costco. This includes eating samples which my inner food monster seems to think are calorie free.

Hope you all have a great Saturday
Old 03-19-2016, 11:48 AM   #444  

Today, DS comes home for Spring Break. DD and SIL come for dinner (as well as my in-laws). Even SIL's grandma is coming over. I've decided on this menu: gorgonzola pear salad (premixed--just toss), marinated flank steak (DH will slice into strips so everyone can take the exact amount they want as DD and SIL are big protein eaters) and I'm making a nice roasted butternut squash risotto. MIL is buying bundt cakes for dessert. They're small--maybe 3 bites each.

Lazy morning as DH and I slept in way over our usual, but it probably was needed after this switch to DST. In all, probably 9 hours with some interesting dreams
Weight down, still off a little from last weekend's low, but I don't feel bad about it. But I do feel bad about the stall in the loss. I'm averaging a 1-2 pound loss per month for February and March. I much preferred the 5 pound loss in January.

B-skip
L-not sure
D-see above
Old 03-20-2016, 11:02 AM   #445  

Last night's party went well. I didn't overeat and my weight was about the same this morning.

S-good 8 hours with some interesting dreams
E-golf
B-protein bar
L-quesadilla
D-our monthly Wine Women dinner
Old 03-20-2016, 05:18 PM   #446  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Shannon A million years ago I used to jog 6-8K every morning with my other big red dog. Since I was mostly running by a lake and it was 6 a.m. I was able to shut out everything and just run. It took about 10-15 minutes for my brain to stop telling my body that this was sore, sweat was running down my nose, it looked like it was going to rain, .

Then my body just ran. I found I came up with a number of very creative solutions to technical problems at work (I used to work in graphic arts production) while in this "mindless" state. These were things I'd been working at for several days but hadn't managed to solve at the studio.

I find I can achieve this state of mind now while walking my own dog in the winter. I know too many people now to not be engaged in conversation at some point during the other 3 seasons - unless Trix and I go out at about 4 a.m.

Dagmar
Old 03-21-2016, 09:22 AM   #447  

As expected after our monthly Wine dinner, my weight is up a bit. Not to worry, it was very salty and I didn't overeat and I didn't drink nearly as much as usual. They served a lot of port, which is not my favorite. The first two courses were really good but the main dish wasn't great and I mainly ate the vegetables which were just steamed.

S-okay 7 or 8 hours. I had a hard time falling asleep and had two bad bouts of hot flashes during the night
E-will walk the dogs tonight
B-egg
L-salad and yogurt
D-soup and sandwiches
Old 03-21-2016, 10:10 AM   #448  
Workin' It

Dagmar - not much would get me out at 4am, so I'd just have to talk to people. I wish I could find that zen you describe all the time. I forgot my headphones this morning and it was a long five miles.

I have lost about three pounds since January. That frustrates me. I am much more balanced though, and I'm very proud of that. I also think I'm increasing my strength. I know my runs are getting better. My main goal getting back in gear after Christmas was to try to get my head more settled so I could build sustainable habits. I think I'm doing well with that.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 03-21-2016 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:17 PM   #449  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Shannon: good for you getting the 5 miles knocked out in silence! I too like to have music playing while running by myself. I did get DH out for a 9 mile trail run yesterday. It was the running version of a "powder day": springy trails moist with recent rain, the smell of the redwood trees, and overcast with a breeze. Sometimes everything just clicks together. It was a welcome break from the constant anxiety I feel right now.

Exercise was good this weekend, but eating still too much sugary stuff. We received a giant box of Easter sweets from DH's German family. I really wish I didn't have an underweight husband, it would be so much easier to say "no junk food in the house". As it is, he's gradually losing even more weight. Part of the reason why became clear to me yesterday. After our run, we were talking about how many calories we likely burned. He was shocked to hear how high the number was, and he said "I can't wait to eat a potato". I asked him how many calories a potato had, and he said "about 2000?" I laughed and told him the truth. We tried it with some of the candy we were sent, and he was guessing about 5x higher than the real calorie counts. I think having no awareness of calorie "budgeting" may be part of why he is thin, he assumes that everything is an absolute ton of calories (except fruit and veggies: I asked him to guess for an apple, and he said "about 10?"). A fascinating case study.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:19 AM   #450  

March is becoming a lot like February: little to no loss. Weight down slightly, but nowhere near where it was two weekends ago. And we have family coming for dinner tonight to which MIL suggested I order pizza.

S-good 7 hours, only one bad hot flash
E-skipping today due to dinner above
B-egg or yogurt
L-steak and risotto with yogurt
D-pizza and salad, emphasis on salad
Closed Thread