Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-16-2013, 07:21 AM   #196  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Allison, yes, I agree they're cute. Beyond that, hey, anything else would be a bonus.

Dagmar, I'm just the opposite. The only time I've ever had ANY body heat was the winter I was pregnant. DH thinks I'm part lizard.

Jen, nice job with the family reunion! Very cool that you're coming up on your anniversary - one down and a lifetime to go!

Toe's better today but I'm pretty sure the nail is toast. Such is life. Here I was all geeked up that it felt good enough to run, and it appears that the heat index will be so high tonight that training will be canceled. If so, I will take the opportunity to get fitted for a new pair of shoes. From the waist up, I'm still sore from Saturday's 18 holes of golf. Guess I need to do more of that!

I'm getting better with my eating and banishing the simple carbs. The ice cream thing of last Thursday set off a less-than-ideal cascade of "wantwantwant"; I think four days of that is quite enough. My mom has started back to WW, and that will also help me. Partner in crime, y'know.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #197  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I brought this up in the weekly chat but will refer to it here as these postings last a little longer. Every thing that happens to me is part of my life and part of my maintenance battle. Many of you know that I am a cancer patient with breast cancer that has spread to the bone, I have been in treatment for that and have just recently learned that the cancer has spread to my brain.. I have started radiation and also a steroid medication. The steroids do cause me some concern as they can cause a weight gain and of course the radiation has it's own set of side effects. All good thoughts are welcome.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:32 AM   #198  
Recovering Pantry Pest

Bargoo, you definitely have all the best thoughts I can send. I'm sure the temptations of "comfort" food are very strong; it's a testament to your ongoing strength that you can stay focused on providing your body with the nutrition it needs during this battle.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:13 AM   #199  

S/C/G: 145/125/123

Height: 5'4"

Bargoo, you definitely have my good thoughts and prayers.
Just Dance Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:41 AM   #200  
Workin' It

I'm now three weeks into my healthier habits. DH says he can see a difference. I can't so much yet, but I'm hopeful that my eye just can't tell. I feel better, so that is good.

Bargoo -
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #201  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

I've just had some very nice broccoli which had just the right bite to it. With a little pasta (farfalle - butterflies) and a fantastically successful sauce. Bolognaise but stretched out with a tin of black-eyed beans and a large aubergine. Eight meals in all! *Becky*, I spell this out as it went down extremely well with my in-house male teenage metabolism rep.

Friends, I'm eating too much. And I made the fatal mistake of looking at my naked rear-view in the bathroom mirror. Some nice muscles but the fat isn't good.

I like your DH's feedback, Shannon! Encouraging.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #202  

Bargoo, I am saddened by what you're going through (I did not know of your cancer until your most recent post). I just said a prayer for you after I read your post.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #203  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

It was rather too busy to think here earlier but it's a lovely quiet summer evening now. Bargoo, what was in my mind was that I thought you might like the broccoli I had for tea (if you like that kind of veg). Not a comfort food as in pies and puddings but something very satisying. Good with soy sauce, ginger and spring onion. Ha, I've convinced myself all over again! You can guess what's on tomorrow's menu.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:24 AM   #204  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

The heat is draining all the energy out of me. I tried to put some of that back last night by eating weird stuff. Didn't work. No surprise that.

I live with central air from Monday on the next 2 weeks so that should help quite a bit (we have window units in 2 rooms only so my office is a hot box). I am going to try eating a lot of salad/protein dinners. And it's much harder to snack if a bulldog is sitting on your feet, drooling on your legs as she watches you snack.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:33 AM   #205  

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
It was rather too busy to think here earlier but it's a lovely quiet summer evening now. Bargoo, what was in my mind was that I thought you might like the broccoli I had for tea (if you like that kind of veg). Not a comfort food as in pies and puddings but something very satisying. Good with soy sauce, ginger and spring onion. Ha, I've convinced myself all over again! You can guess what's on tomorrow's menu.
Birchie, I had Broccoli cheese soup for lunch ,yesterday. What is broccoli pie. care to share ?

On the other hand I have been on the steroids 5 days and have gained 4 pounds.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:05 AM   #206  
Recovering Pantry Pest

shannon - feeling better radiates to the outside! Isn't it cool that it only takes 3 weeks to reclaim some of that energy?

silver - your broccoli dish sounds wonderful! We're beginning to find that our in-house rep is getting less reliable as a source of "taste" feedback. He's getting that somewhat-crazed look of "I can't get enough food!". And as we all know, what that really means is "I can't get enough nutrition!" to support the body that grew 7 inches in 1 year, yet only put on 7 pounds. Needless to say, the grocery bill is growing too!

Dagmar, one of my bunnies has a very unhealthy craving for potato chips and pretzels. It is impossible to enjoy a serving of either one in the living room (the rabbits refuse to touch the tile, so the kitchen is safe), as she will jump into your lap and schmooze - which leaves fur EVERYWHERE. A furry potato chip is not appetizing, even to me. Bulldog drool on my feet and wheedling brown eyes staring at me would be an equal deterrent, I'd think.

bargoo, if the number stresses you, maybe hide the scale for a bit? I couldn't tell from your comment if you were just dispassionately observing the work of the steroids or not. As you've said, "it is what it is". If they help the double vision ... that would balance things out.

I am working on my plan for the rest of the summer and the next 5 years. Getting back to 148 or less is definitely a big priority, and getting truly fit is even higher on the list.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:40 AM   #207  

Oh, Becky . I am distressed about seeing the number go up. I really do not want to , or think I should cut calories. My insurance will include dietician/ nutritionist consults. I may take advantage of that. The double vision is certainly a pain you know where but it is what is causing it that is the real problem.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #208  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Sorry to be another lurker/thread-interjecter - but you have my best wishes as well, bargoo.

You may already know this better than me, but my understanding (from my doctors and Dr. Google ) is that while steroid treatments can have a documented effect on metabolism/real weight gain (separate from hunger issues), it takes long-term courses to see that. In the short run, the immediate weight jumps are from water retention/general screwiness - not fat gain. (This might not allay your concern entirely if you're looking at a long course, but I am sure those recent 4 lbs are water-related.)

I know my weight likes to shoot up even on very short-term, low-dose steroids - and then takes extra time to come back off. It's distressing and unpleasant, but not real gain.
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #209  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiderata View Post
Sorry to be another lurker/thread-interjecter - but you have my best wishes as well, bargoo.

You may already know this better than me, but my understanding (from my doctors and Dr. Google ) is that while steroid treatments can have a documented effect on metabolism/real weight gain (separate from hunger issues), it takes long-term courses to see that. In the short run, the immediate weight jumps are from water retention/general screwiness - not fat gain. (This might not allay your concern entirely if you're looking at a long course, but I am sure those recent 4 lbs are water-related.)

I know my weight likes to shoot up even on very short-term, low-dose steroids - and then takes extra time to come back off. It's distressing and unpleasant, but not real gain.
Thanks for that info. I will keep it in mind.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:41 AM   #210  
Recovering Pantry Pest

Yesterday was a good day - no non-meal eating, and I kept busy during my "danger" hours between arriving home and dinner. This needs to become my new normal.

I'm generally not much of a mirror person; I find myself rather boring to look at. For the last few days though, I've had this weird sense of feeling "big" in my normal space. Not fat - my clothes don't feel different and I don't have any of the negative spin ... it's more of a clunky, awkward, pushing borderlines sort of thing. Like I'm overlapping into places I'm not supposed to be. Strange.