Old 06-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #122  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
IS NOLA New Orleans?

Dagmar
Yes.

Feeling a bit discouraged today, but on the upside it is Bring your Dogs to Work day so the two are here with me.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #123  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Just had a tiny muffin from the diabetes-riffic spread downstairs at work. My mouth feels soapy. Was saddened seeing my hallway neighbor (who is quite obese, parks illegally in a handicapped space and takes the elevator when it's maybe a 75 foot walk including the stairs) piling a plate high with donuts talking about how she eats when she's stressed.

Canoeing and camping all weekend! Gonna premiere my new bathing suit. I'm nervous about meeting 12 of BF's awesome friends I've never met but it will be a welcome break from my social group here who are beginning to irritate me since all they do is drink.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #124  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Sontaikle, welcome back, and oh yes, I do remember you. We're probably neighbors of a sort, or at least relatively geographically near each other compared with some of the other Maintainer members.

I'm still getting my mind around Thursday morning: I was on my way out of the gym, and the gym's director, a little spitfire with a deep tan and incredible abs & usually some jewelry in her navel, confided in me that she's despondent because she's five pounds overweight. She's lost some definition in her belly and can feel it in her upper thighs, she says. This is a fitness professional, who teaches probably 11 classes a week, in addition to training for half-marathons. And she sounds exactly like me these days. She did say something interesting: That she attributed at least a fraction of the lingering pounds to the prolonged chill & rainy weather of our spring. In the heat, she thinks, it's easier to take off and keep off weight.

As for me, not a great weigh-in. Down from this past Monday. But I woke up with ankles that I could press dents into, which means some fluid retention happening.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 02:47 PM   #125  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
She did say something interesting: That she attributed at least a fraction of the lingering pounds to the prolonged chill & rainy weather of our spring. In the heat, she thinks, it's easier to take off and keep off weight.
Interesting. I had a similar conversation with someone on the supermarket checkout who I know from the gymn. We are both half a stone (7ibs) heavier than this time last year which she attributed to the length and depth of the winter and no proper spring. This could be true, could be an urban myth, could be a grain of truth in it. I think there are other factors at work in our cases, though, notably that we're taking less exercise (read "are less active") than we were as she's working more and I still haven't reliably sorted out my SI joint.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #126  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Hey, all! I've been MIA this week due to some work stresses and life stresses. Nothing depressing or out of control, but posting needed to be way down the list of priorities. On the plus side, workouts got done and food was (mostly) on target. I'm not sure when things will be slowing down for me here, but I'll check in when I'm able.

As for warm weather and weight loss - yes! In fact, I came to that conclusion just today, as I was rejoicing in the summer solstice. Sunlight and warm weather (hot weather, here in GA) makes weight loss and maintenance easier for me. Not easy, mind you, but heavy, bready carbs are easier to turn down and I don't crave sugar as much.

And Shannon, I'm so glad you're going to be getting away! I've been to NOLA once before and loved it. You'll have a blast!
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:46 PM   #127  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Shannon,
I'm so glad you will get away! I've been to Nola many times, but not since Katrina.

Today was my first day off and it was a busy one! The housecleaning service came and gave me a quote. I've got a deep cleaning set up for Wednesday. Can't wait!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:42 AM   #128  

Hi, all! I hope everyone is having a great weekend so far.

I finished my workout this morning----but almost didn't. Sometimes I really feel as if there is this dark side of me that just wants to throw everything positive in my life down the tubes. I feel like one of those cartoon characters with the angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other. The positive side is the one that goes to the gym at 5:30 a.m., eats and enjoys healthy food, etc. But then there's the other side. It's the side I have to battle several times a week. For example, every Saturday a.m., I go to a CrossFit class on the beach. On my way there, I pass a bakery with scrumptious cupcakes in great flavors. I was physically and mentally tired this morning, and passing a rude jogger (who was jogging in the middle of the street & didn't move even though there was a sidewalk) was just the thing I didn't need; it set me on a mental tirade about how people are so rude these days, where has consideration gone, etc., etc., etc. (Please don't think I'm this way all the time; I was just in that frame of mind this a.m.). Anyway, I parked by the part of the beach where the class is held, and I had the strongest temptation just to skip the workout, drive to that bakery, and get two cupcakes and a giant cookie. I actually put my keys back into the ignition---the will to leave was so strong (and I actually love this class). I stayed, though, and even on the way home, I didn't stop at the bakery.

I wish this were just a matter of willpower, but I think it's even deeper. It's almost like there's a part of me that just wants to say, "to **** with it!" It's a self-destructive part, and it's really tough battling it sometimes.
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #129  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin43 View Post
I wish this were just a matter of willpower, but I think it's even deeper. It's almost like there's a part of me that just wants to say, "to **** with it!" It's a self-destructive part, and it's really tough battling it sometimes.
I get this, though I have thought of the term "creative destruction," which I've heard a lot on my job at a consulting firm.

There's part of me that loves the comfort of a routine, of knowing where I'll be & at what time.

There's another part of me that rebels against routine and wants to kick free, shrug off the harness, and hightail it out of there, looking for something new, an adventure, something unexpected. That's what some foodstuff can represent. It's hard to remember, in the moment, that what I want is stimulation, change, excitement, some kind of sensation that I can feel, and not necessarily food. If I could rewire my brain and not have food spring up as the answer to the question "What am I going to do with myself?" or "I need something new in my life" or "I am craving change," I'd be a lot better off.

Last edited by saef; 06-22-2013 at 08:17 PM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #130  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
I get this, though I have thought of the term "creative destruction," which I've heard a lot on my job at a consulting firm.

There's part of me that loves the comfort of a routine, of knowing where I'll be & at what time.

There's another part of me that rebels against routine and wants to kick free, shrug off the harness, and hightail it out of there, looking for something new, an adventure, something expected. That's what some foodstuff can represent. It's hard to remember, in the moment, that what I want is stimulation, change, excitement, some kind of sensation that I can feel, and not necessarily food. If I could rewire my brain and not have food spring up as the answer to the question "What am I going to do with myself?" or "I need something new in my life" or "I am craving change," I'd be a lot better off.
I tend to fall into that with online shopping. I could use this new house as an excuse to purchase $$$$ worth of stuff. I could also save the money and ease off a bit on the dogwalking as I get older.

I find myself erring on the positive side more often than the negative . But it is a struggle. I "lost" about a decade to substance abuse and tend to find myself constantly wanting to experience new things. I am hyper conscious of how much life time I probably have left to do things.

Balance and moderation are key. But sometimes so BORING!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #131  

Saef and Mudpie, I find it really interesting that you both mentioned boredom/routine as the impetus to overeat (Saef) or shop (Mudpie; by the way, shopping can be a problem for me, too). Many years ago, everyone in the office I was working in took the Myers-Briggs Personality Test (I can't even remember why). When we got the results, we shared them with each other. I was stunned at how accurate the test had "typed" my co-workers, which gave me some confidence that it had pegged me correctly as well. I can't even remember what type it put me in, but I do remember one of the comments being that I am the type of person who hates routine. This was actually a surprise to me. I had always thought of myself as someone who wanted routine, but when I read that comment, all of a sudden I realized that it was true and that it explained, to a large extent, why I had always had so much trouble sticking to a diet. Dieting or effecting a "lifestyle change"---whatever you want to call it---requires some planning. That's where I tend to rebel. I don't like planning. It takes the "fun" out of eating. Exercise usually involves routine as well. I think the only reason that I actually love exercise this time around is that I have managed to multitask by combining it with my job (my husband created a tread-desk for me) and the classes I take a the gym are CrossFit/Bootcamp-like classes that involve many different exercises within one hour, so the boredom factor is nil.

Saef, on another thread some time ago, you used a term that sticks in my mind: "food thrill-seeking." The reason I remember that term is that it perfectly describes my mindset toward food. I'm probably the only person I know IRL who actually likes food shopping---especially if it's somewhere like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. I actually plan it out and make a day of it. It's pathetic that food "fun" is that important to me, but I can't lie and say it isn't. I've made huge progress over the years in becoming more realistic about weight loss and maintenance, but certain mindsets about food still linger.

Last edited by lin43; 06-22-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #132  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Facing challenge #345,267.... Going to Napa with dh. We will indulge. The scale will respond. I'm starting almost 4 pounds over my redline. But with dh gone so much I need to not be too rigid. My plan is to do insanity this morning before we go, and then hopefully be home tomorrow in time to workout. Looking forward to the short getaway though. I don't think we have ever stayed in a true B&B before. We are also going to Bottega for dinner. We have been once before and it was amazing!

The weather looks crummy too so probably no long walks. Oh well. Happy Sunday everyone!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #133  

Michele, I hope you had a great time!
Old 06-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #134  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin43 View Post
I'm probably the only person I know IRL who actually likes food shopping---especially if it's somewhere like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. I actually plan it out and make a day of it. It's pathetic that food "fun" is that important to me, but I can't lie and say it isn't. I've made huge progress over the years in becoming more realistic about weight loss and maintenance, but certain mindsets about food still linger.
I don't understand the mindset that it is pathetic or somehow a personality flaw to enjoy food and get excited about it. Unless this mindset is applied exclusively to "binge days/evenings" where the frenzied collector amasses 5,000 calories of garbage to be devoured in secret followed by shame, I think it's great and healthy. Much better than treating grocery shopping and mealtime like washing sheets or bathroom cleaning.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #135  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

While I don't consider grocery shopping a chore, it isn't nearly as fun as choosing my menus for the week! I often set aside a couple of hours to peruse cookbooks and my own compilation of recipes on my Paprika app. When bored at work I Stumble Upon cooking blogs or visit those sites where I know I'll find something tasty to add to my Paprika. I'll dutifully write down the name of each dish I plan on making for the week and check both pantry and fridge to insure that I have all the ingredients and if not, add it to my grocery list (which is divided into categories such as fruits & vegetables/frozen/meats/dairy/canned & bottle/packaged and misc.).

Somehow, with no help from myself, I managed to lose a pound this weekend.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote