Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-22-2010, 10:31 PM   #91  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
I regard my evening overeating as a bad habit, again defined as "an automatic reaction to a specific situation".
Oh, yes, I get this totally. Not evening eating with me, but when I feel certain emotions, I respond automatically by eating. My big eating times revolve around pain and discomfort, which occurs in particular every three months before I get my next set of injections, and anxiety triggers the response, too. Sometimes the only way I know I'm experiencing an emotion is because I realize I'm overeating. Friday I had to put the peanut butter and honey on the top shelf of the pantry because I was stuffing myself with it. I'm having pain right now, and I eat when I hurt. You'd think after all this time I'd figure out another option, but the overeating is so ingrained, at an almost instinctual level--automatic reaction to a specific situation.

Marie, I wish I could detail it myself, but I live in Boise, and the RV is in western Oregon where I used to live. My sister lives about an hour away from the RV storage, too. Neither of us have the equipment handy that we'd need to detail it even if we could travel there. Really we just need the outside washed, the rug shampooed and the tiny shower cleaned (never used the shower, but we stored our wet shower shoes there and it got a touch moldy as do many things in western Oregon). That sounds like less than $750, doesn't it?

Kim, I hope the water pills work. Glad you're able to work out tomorrow. I know you were missing your exercise.

I actually had to turn on the heat in the house. The outside temperature got up to 41 degrees, although with the windchill, it was 37. I think we broke the record for the lowest high for May 22.

Tomorrow is the first anniversary of my DGD's death. It's been a hard year--I miss hugging her little body and kissing her sweet, chubby cheeks, and I still don't know what to say when someone asks me how many grandchildren I have. I guess the answer is none, but that seems to negate the 8 1/2 wonderful years of being a grandmother. *Sigh* We're going to watch the 2.5 hour finale of Lost tomorrow with my son and lose ourselves in the twists and turns of The Island and its inhabitants.

Have a good Sunday!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:38 PM   #92  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Rabbit, I hope you had fun in your garden. Someday I’ll take a pics without the gray and snow because it truly is beautiful where I live.

Dagmar, I still feel my case is an addiction. I do see your point but I know for me if I could cold turkey and not eat at all, aka drug addict, I could stop the overeating, munching, food thoughts. But that’s what’s so cool about all of us in this boat. We have similar end results (overeating) but how we get there, what we think about it is totally different.

“Boredom usually has me opening and closing the fridge and pantry in search of something to nosh on.” Allison for me if you exchange the word boredom to frustration, that sentence fits me to a tee.

Sheila, to me what you want done doesn’t sound like much. What about Merry Maids or something like that? Everything in western Oregon near the coast is moldy. Beautiful but moldy. on tomorrow’s sad anniversary. When people ask, you have one beloved grandchild. I’m very sorry for our loss. Time might make it more bearable but no less painful.

Today is a momentous day for me. After two years, I finally finished my quilt. I loved doing the squares, tolerated putting the borders on and despised the top stitching and binding. But it’s done. So here’s a picture of it.

Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:27 AM   #93  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Sheila-- many hugs to you and your family. I can't believe it has already been a year. I would still say I had one grandchild (at least I think I would). I guess it depends on who asks and whether you feel like answering questions. I have a friend that lost her granddaughter to SIDS 4 months ago. So tragically sad.

Marie-- OMG! The quilt is gorgeous!!!! I assume you've done other quilts!!! For awhile I thought I wanted to learn how to quilt, but then I realized I would need to know how to sew first. Sigh... maybe some day.

I've had a very nice day today. Dd and I went to spin and then donated blood and went to lunch. We ran a few errands and then younger dd and I got our nails done. They are all watching a movie now but I am tired and have to work early in the morning and still feeling a little dizzy/queasy from donating. They said my blood pressure was 88/50. My pressure is usually low but not THAT LOW! I hadn't donated in quite awhile because you can't donate (at least in CA) for 12 months after getting a tattoo.

Hope you're starting to feel better Kim???
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 02:37 AM   #94  

WOW marie, beautiful quilt!

Sheila, sorry to hear about your loss. I would say you had a granddaughter.

Kim, are you feeling better?

I'm getting back to my garden: today I'm continuing filling & starting up my pool, and I need to put some berry bushes in & do some strimming. The weather is great & the place just looks marvellous.

have a great weekend,
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:04 AM   #95  
in development

Sheila I'd say you have one grandchild. She is with you still in so many ways, and always will be.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:50 AM   #96  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Sheila

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:43 AM   #97  
Lifelong Journey Member

Rabbit, sounds like you have a fun outdoor day planned. There's nothing better than spring.

Michele, knowing how to sew would be a first step. I've made three quilts now. Real quilters would cringe at my hodge-podge way of making the quilt. I pick a pattern then just start making those. No plans or dimensions. I told my mom, the expert seamstress and quilter, about all the mistakes in it. She said the Amish believe there should be a mistake in all quilts because only God is perfect. I certainly pushed that concept to the extreme. But I do love how pretty it is.

DH and I are going over the mountain to find spring. It's supposed to be in the mid-60's and there is an uber long bike trail that runs near I-5. So we're going biking before the shopping. I'm all sunscreened up and ready to go. DH just needs to get up already.

Since my MACS (turkey neck) plastic surgery, I haven't been able to use my BOSE earbuds. My ear hole is small and the smallest adapter hurt and pulled it. This morning I couldn't find the other pair I'd been using so I grabbed the BOSE ones. They don't hurt and they fit again! I have a concert in my ears. I'm so happy. DH was hoping that they'd never work for me again because he knew he'd get them. Too bad DH.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:27 PM   #98  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Sheila~so sorry about the anniversary of your granddaughter's death. I remember seeing her photo many times in your avatar. She was certainly a cutie and it's so sad that she's gone. Take care.

Weather here is very weird. Unseasonably cool (actually downright cold if you ask me!). We were going to go golfing this morning but it was so windy and miserable that we decided to bag it. When I got up at 6 the temperature was 55 (ok, yeah, not so cold for most of you but we're used to at least 70 in the morning this time of year). It isn't supposed to get above 70 or 75 today. There are dark clouds blocking the sun and wind gusts that are horrible.

Speaking of sun, we got our electric bill last week. Seems we have not used ANY electricity since we went live with the solar (Feb 25). In fact, DH took me out and we read the meter and I guess the electric company cannot go backward like our meter. We've actually generated about 1000 kilowatt hours! We don't anticipate a bill until later this summer. I'm so happy!!

Well, to kill some time, DH and I are going to Costco. Don't know what the rest of the day holds for us. DD is home this weekend, so I feel like we ought to do something fun. DS is studying his driver's handbook in preparation for taking his test next month.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:50 PM   #99  
No description available.

Sheila, big hugs to you. I remember her sweet picture too.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:17 PM   #100  

S/C/G: 320/185/165-170

Height: 5'5"

hi ladies!!! thank you sooo much for checking up on me... i am still 10lbs heavier than a week ago... the strong-benadryl fog is lifting!!!! the hands can actually type without going instantly numb... water pills are not what i expected though as i am not really peeing any more than normal i dont think?? at least i was able to exercise yesterday and again today... at about 80% of my 'normal' ... so i think things are a little better? i had a very rough two days with food so part of those 10lbs is also me being dumb and overeating... no way to tell how much is water now and how much is 'duh' hopefully i can get my IUD out tues if my family doc will do it... of course, i dont have many other options but i dont have a bf either so...ha ha ha...(classic TMI right?)

it is wicked hot here today...supposed to get up to 30C which is very warm for may... today is 'day 1' binge free... made it nearly 5 months since my last binge so... taking a deep breath and getting back on track...

i so wish i knew what caused this swelling and why it just wont seem to go away!!!

will let you know how things improve (because they will improve!!! the power of positive thinking!!!)
happytobeamomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:39 PM   #101  
Working My Way Back Down

Gosh, Sheila and Marie, it's warmer here than where you are! It was up to 70 yesterday, and supposed to be close to that today. Nice and too.

Kim - hope you start losing some of that swelling soon. Glad you were able to exercise.

Rabbit - hope your yard work went well.

I mowed our grass for the first time this year. Not all of it was ready but the sunnier parts were getting too long. It's very dry as we haven't had rain in about 6 weeks except for a brief shower one night. DH has been working on our veggie garden and greenhousee. I'm working on flowers. In fact, I need to change out of my church clothes and get out there.....
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:34 AM   #102  

Hi all,
And another sunny holiday today! we're having gorgeous weather and it is only expected to turn tomorrow, when we'll be back at work. I had a great day in my garden: the pool is filled and DDs patch is cleared. I put in 2 blue berrys, a red gooseberry and a loganberry and re-planted some shrubs next to the fence. DD put in 2 cherry tomatoes. And we topped it off with a bbq with a gf & her kids. It was a marvellous day.
Today I'm continuing a day outdoor: strimming in the garden, starting up the pool, and weeding, and I have some other housekeeping as well.
I really enjoy spring & the fact that 4.5 years of hard work are starting to pay off. Now I just have to cross my fingers that I have no frost damage in my pool installation.
The gardening actually goes much better than I expected
; i am either going about it in a smarter way or I've grown stronger. It is definitely less back breaking.

Pat, Marie good to hear about your spring activities

Kim, glad you are feeling better.

have a great day all,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote