Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-18-2010, 06:59 PM   #31  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila53 View Post
It must be feeling horrible week. I am cancelling everything I had planned and staying home. My head feels like it's doubled in size and my innards aren't doing so well either.

My sister and I had a wonderful time in Northern California last week on our RV trip. We stayed in Brookings (OR) our first night, then in Arcata (CA) the rest of the time. Beautiful scenery, incredible architecture in Arcata, Eureka and Ferndale especially. Lots of walking and hiking. We decided to sell the RV, though--just too hard to deal with now that I no longer live in OR. I think we can rent an RV for a week or two a year and it'll be easier and cheaper.

Okay, some water, then back to bed. . .
I'm moderately better today in that my nose is not quite so stuffy, and better, I have some energy.

Sheila you were in some of my very favorite places! We have close friends who live in Trinidad, just N of Eureka and we love to spend time there. Anywhere along the OR coast is great. I'm going with some GFs in mid-October. We're rented a house at Canon Beach - I can't wait!

Hope everyone is feeling better soon!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:33 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Ok. For all the times I should have had my camera ready, this time was one for sure. My dog Chico (avatar dog) is really interesting. He is quite polite--in a dog way. And he keeps us entertained. He has a few toys that we throw or kick for him and his favorite is to do this when we're in the kitchen. Inevitably the toy sometimes ends up on the kitchen counter (or on the pool table in the dining room). He's very polite and he'll put his front paws on the counter and get his toy (if it's within reach). He WILL NOT take food off the counter (and no, I did not teach him this, he figured it on his own). I've even tested him--a Milk Bone dog treat and his toy on the counter--he'll take the toy and sit and wait for the milk bone. A few months back we realized that if the toy ends up on the pool table he'll actually get all the way up on the table to get his toy. No big deal. Today his toy was on the kitchen island and he couldn't quite reach it. I was too lazy to get up and get it for him. He kept trying and trying. Suddenly he was on the island! He took his toy without upsetting the vase or moving the video that was sitting up there. But he slipped on the way down (I guess that granite is a bit slippery). It was hilarious! What am I going to do?

For everyone who is under the weather or having a bad day, I hope that story cheered you up a bit. (Next time we have our camera out, we'll get a movie of him getting on the pool table--which is a lot lower than the kitchen counter!).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:51 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 320/185/165-170

Height: 5'5"

i can sooo picture that dog on the island i had an airedale terrier that liked to climb onto a rocking ottoman - was hilarious to watch him teeter and wobble that same dog also ate my linoleum floor...yes, ate it! when i called insurance, they just laughed and laughed until he agreed that my policy didn't preclude "the dog ate my floor" so we got a whole new floor! ha ha ha
happytobeamomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:25 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Oh, I had a Golden Retriever who ate doors, screens and carpet (brand new!), so I understand a terrier eating linoleum!!! Good thing your insurance covered it!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:15 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Hugs to you Kim. I sure hope you feel better soon! When did the doctor think you might get some answers?
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:17 PM   #36  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Allison, wow on the PT costs. Wise decision to find a PT that accepts your insurance. My PT co-pays are $15. Even that’s spendy 3X week. Thank Chico for the smile on my face. My dogs would take the food and the toy. And Kim, I love the dog ate my floor. Dogs are so uplifting.

Jessica, at least you’re working out in all three areas of the triathlon. Researching a good program is probably safer in the long run. BTW, I’m not sick but ate so off plan today, I might as well be. I’m thinking you’re safe and won’t catch the physical yuckies.

MsP, I hope you’re starting to feel better.

Pat, having spent time in Bend, I can see them displaying quilts in the downtown area and it looking so right. And wow, on the mountain quilt for the ad. They are works of art. Perhaps my DH would be willing to go… I’d love seeing it. I hope you feel better. Be careful with exercise now that the cold has migrated to your chest.

Michele, good luck on your quest to 123. Great job pre-planning your lunch adventure.

Kim, I hope the swelling goes down quickly. That’s so uncomfortable. And the break from exercise. Until my PS in February, I could count on my fingers and toes how many days I didn’t exercise in 5 years. It was so rare that I was freaking out in panic. I made DH promise to strap me to my elliptical if I didn’t get back on post-surgery. Heck, I missed it so much that I didn’t need any urging. You won’t pack on the pounds and you will resume when it is SAFE for you to do so.

Shannon, you win. That was one crappy Monday you had. Hope Tuesday was better.

Iris, wise choice on leaving the room. Low budget horror movie sounds like torture. If you’re not feel well, it sounds even worse.

Rabbit, most get crappy Monday, mine is (and usually is) crappy Tuesday. I’m terribly thankful I get to go to bed in a couple hours and be done with the day.

Dagmar, my DH works swings so I rarely see him during the week. Thus the TV isn’t on. But when he’s home, spending time “together” normally means watching a TV show. Last night he was here and we’re trying to decide what to do. I said we could watch a TV show since clearly we don’t know how to do anything else together. Wow that was a big silence getter. But my point was made. We played non-competitive Scrabble and had fun. And we chatted. Keep working on your hubby. The TV just ain’t worth it. And heck Dagmar, I’ll buy your resistance bands and ship them to you. Or did you try ebay? Duct tape could be dangerous if it gives at an inopportune time.

Sheila, I’m glad your trip was great. I love Brookings. It is gorgeous.

Wow, I was spiraling in my kitchen (read that as grazing while full) and decided to sit with my computer and see if I could break the cycle. So chickies, THANK YOU!!!! I have no desire for anymore food and my kitchen is closed for the night. 200 extra cals in chocolate was stopped before it became 800 cals.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:14 AM   #37  

Hi all,

Get well soon to all chickies that are feeling under the water!

Marie - I realise now that most of my crankiness is TOM, which leaves me irritated and headachy, coupled with still a lot of anger towards XH. Sigh, it is 4.5 yrs since he went out of the house but I keep having issues about DS and DD and I find it hard to leave it behind me at times.

Kim - yuck on the allergies. I hope the meds are working. When do you get your test results? And you're surely not going to gain all back in a week. Like Meg said...after 18 months of exercise your body is probabely due for a rest week. And you are a different person nnow from when you started...so used to exercise that you will pick it up again.

Happy hump day all of you,
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:10 AM   #38  
Working My Way Back Down

I'm still sick, though I had more energy today, and actually got my flower beds cleaned out and some annuals planted in pots/baskets so it looks springlike around here!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:45 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy Mail order mayhem

This week is just not my week for mail order . In addition to not getting the resistance bands I want (I did find one at a store near me so I'm not going to accidentally kill myself) I now have a pair of really cute sandals in "my" size that actually are about a size too big, two pairs of "curvy fit" pants that don't fit at all, and two pairs of Bermuda shorts ditto .

Back everything goes. At least most of the companies I deal with will refund me the cost of the items and shipping. Except the shoe company. I have to pay for return shipping and eat the cost of duty and taxes .

SIGH. Did I mention I want to be an American ? You guys can shop 'til you drop from your computers and you have such a selection it's amazing!

Not in Canada. Our whole retail industry just blows.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:36 AM   #40  

S/C/G: 320/185/165-170

Height: 5'5"

well i am 90% sure it is not an allergic reaction because the stronger-than-benadryl drugs did nothing last night to help... so now i am thinking kidney infection? not sure.... hopefully my stat blood work will be back in early morning today. i decided to go to work instead of sit at home and eat/worry...so here i sit at work, it is even hard to type i am so swollen... yuck... thank you for the encouragement ladies... i am feeling more settled about the exercise thing today because it is so true - my body probably could use a couple days off and it feels like it went 10 rounds with Rocky i am so sore today anyways...

i'll keep you posted on what, if anything, the doc figures out.... medicine is an art, not a science!

i hope everyone enjoys their hump day... hump or no hump... ha ha ha
happytobeamomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:18 AM   #41  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Kim, I hope they find out what's wrong soon and can help you feel better!

Dagmar, we may have good shopping, but we spend so much on healthcare there's not enough left to shop! (Just kidding, although there have been times I wished I was Canadian!)

Allison, LOL about Chico. Carter never takes things off of counters or tables even though he can reach it. Instead he stands there, stares at the thing he wants, wags his tail as hard as he can, and grumbles until we come to get it for him! I guess it's not entirely true that he NEVER does, I have caught him taking his toys off the coffee table a couple times and once he snuck off with a paper plate that was on the coffee table.

Marie and Dagmar, my DH and I also watch TV together. Or else, one of us will watch TV while the other reads, but we're in the same room. I don't think I could give up my TV.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:14 AM   #42  
Workin' It

I just lost everything I typed because the 'go advanced' button didn't work. Phooey.

Good morning - head still hurts today, but not as bad as yesterday. Taking some Tylenol now. Finished my last employee interview yesterday, so far it seems that no one knows anything about what the director was doing. Typing up report today. Have to meet with an insurance agent today for a deposition of a customer who fell onsite at one of the locations. Finalized our health insurance renewal yesterday - a 25% increase on HMO, 33% on PPO. Ick. Jessica, sometimes I wish I was Canadian, too. DSS is graduating from pre-k today - his mother is taking my attendance at the ceremony well at this point, we'll see if it is going to get ugly later.

Allison - fantastic story about Chico! Hope you find a covered PT.

Kim - I hope they figure out what is going on soon. Don't worry about the exercise, like Meg said, we have all had to take breaks here and there. Just keep track of your eating and you will be fine.

Dagmar - online shopping tasks me sometimes as well, but at least it is easier to return!

Pat - hope you feel better soon! Glad you got some spring flowers out!

Rabbit - sorry the XH issues continue to plague you...

Iris - low budget horror films actually amuse me most of the time. Hope your head is better.

Sheila - welcome back! Sorry you got sick as soon as you finished vacation!

Marie - glad that the computer gave you a break from the calories! 200 is better than 800! I wish something had stopped my spiral on Monday...

MsP - better today?

Michele - I'm with you on the goal. I want to be back to the 124.5 I was on 5/2, not the 129.4 of today... I'm in on the planning lunch! Good luck to you, too! Good job on coming down!

I used to have a beagle that ate the wooden legs and bases of furniture. Sofa legs, chair legs, the base of my curio cabinet, table legs... I still have furniture that shows the damage...

Good day everyone! to any I missed, hope everyone feels better soon!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:27 AM   #43  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Dagmar-- You can rest assured that Canada is WAY better than many other countries with choices/ mail order, etc. When we lived in Africa, we couldn't get anything shipped to us. IF I got a company to ship something, I paid exhorbitant tariffs and it NEVER made it to us. The postal service was very corrupt! Even cards never made it to us. I finally told everyone to stop shipping us anything. It was very depressing. We just had to stock up on things when we went to the states.

Hope everyone is feeling better and I hope Kim gets some relief and answers today!

The scale was my friend today. It was 123.8 this morning. We'll see what tomorrow brings! I'm planning on trying out my new spin shoes for the first time tonight. Wish me luck getting in and out of the bike as I've never used clips before.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:08 PM   #44  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Rabbit, to be honest, I don’t know how a messy divorce with anger ever really goes away. I’m believe the bad dealings with people lessen in the mind and don’t take much thoughts but when there’s a trigger for memories (children in yours, different songs in mine), there’s a flash of irritation. I tell myself to get over it but it just doesn’t. It’s certainly not consuming but it’s still there. So add TOM to the process, then I can empathize with your crankiness.

OK Pat, it’s not fair. You’re in AK and I’m WAY further south. We have snow predicted to 3000’ tonight. I live at 4100’ so snow is again in my future. And Pat is out there in her garden. I am so JEALOUS!

Dagmar, bummer on all the returns. Mail order is dangerous. I am glad you found your resistance bands. That’s one plus!

Kim, I hope you feel better and soon! The hump day was cute.

Jessica, Carter sounds angelic. If my huskies can reach it, it is there if I’m not vigilant. They know they can outrun me.

Shannon, yikes on your health ins renewal. My co-worker (he’s on the insurance committee for our district) complained that the renewal was 22% at lunch. I said, wow that’s not bad. I thought his lunch was going to hit me. I’ll quote him your numbers.

Michele, you should post a pic of your spin shoes. I’m curious.

My kitchen closed last night really worked. I stayed away from it and today I’ve been so on plan it’s scary. I think by the weekend my resolve to care will help on no work days. I’d really like to drop another 5 pounds and I’m thinking not grazing will help. I did put my office snacks in a file drawer that has a lock. I didn’t lock it but out of sight was great.

PT on my bicep tendonitis has been interesting. Clearly strength training is what did it but the reason is attributed to a facet joint dislocation between my spine and rib cage about 10 years ago. So the whole idea is to strengthen my right shoulder blade – aka posture and tightening the muscles that hold the shoulder blade back. The PT said my right shoulder blade “wings” out so that doing the shoulder presses caused the tendon to snap on the bone. I really love this PT center because they don’t just tell you what to do, they explain the whys, hows, and whats that go with it. I love information and will do what they say because I then have a reason.

Time for egg beater scrambled egg, homemade whole wheat toast and iced mocha dinner. I’m obsessed with my whole wheat bread. Since I started milling my own wheat berries, the taste is so awesome. What’s really cool with the KA mill attachment, I start adding the other ingredients to the bread machine and it’s done milling by the time I get to the flour. It so easy and fast. Never again will I own store bought bread or make white. I still will make sourdough but I’m seeing the future will have whole wheat sourdough.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:32 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

More snow Marie? Yikes!! - spring snow - belongs on the mountains.

We are having a spring rain / thunder / wind storm. Is that a good enough excuse for missing one of my runs??
I have been suffering from major PMS this week - low energy, headache, backache...
Also my ankle is really bugging from some reason?
It started yesterday and i haven't run since Sunday?

Dagmar - i've had some annoying online shopping experiences this week too - must be something in the air

Let's hope these weather / ankle issues imprpve soon - so i can get back on track with on my half marathon training regime.

....long w/e coming up

S
sznn is offline   Reply With Quote