Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-21-2010, 01:17 PM   #76  
Workin' It

Good afternoon all.. More investigating here this morning.

Hm. I actually did get the LG French door fridge and LG dishwasher... Allison, at what temp do you run your water heater? I've read some reviews about the dishwasher not heating properly based on incoming water temperature? Though I don't know if that is true or not - I thought water running into a dishwasher was always cold. And, the two features you miss from your Amana aren't features my current fridge has, so I won't miss those.

Kim - I do know of people with IUD allergies, so that could be what it is... Definitely try an urgent care if things get out of control.

Jessica - I get that same kind of rash when I shave. I use Gold Bond Restoring lotion and it helps a lot.

Iris - sorry about the AC. Ick. Definitely don't want to get on the treadmill in the heat like that.

Bill - Sounds like a plan!

Dagmar - it is hard to be motivated by the skinny jeans when only you see them. People don't always look at food addictions or compulsions the way they look at other things. If you were drinking or using drugs your family would see and plan interventions and such, but cookies are just cookies. It is hard to make the jump to more serious.

Rabbit - enjoy your weekend!

Good day all!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:20 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Shannon, I'll have to check on our hot water heater temperature. It is very hot, though. I cannot put my hand under the faucet if it's set to hot--there has to be cold mixed in! I'm thinking it's got to be like 130 degrees. So it just slays me that it doesn't seem to get that hot and it certainly isn't as good at cleaning as my old Amana (leaks and all).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:29 PM   #78  
Workin' It

Allison - I've read great things about the older Amana appliances... As I remember, they were great products. Not sure if they are now or not - seems like a lot of companies are cheapening materials used...

Thanks for the info!!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:08 PM   #79  

Well, I don't think Amana is made by Amana any more. I think they're part of Maytag. Not that Maytag is bad, it's just not as good as the old Amana. The only reason we went with Amana at the time was because I wanted a double oven that was NOT convection and they were the only ones who made such a think (well, at least mainstream appliances). I probably could have found another source but it would have been too expensive.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:18 PM   #80  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

Bill, I am all for a maintainer's ball in Spain! =) The "swimsuit season" motivation is not working as well for me as I hoped.

We're getting a new A/C on Monday - thank goodness! It's supposed to reach 100 again today so it'll be much needed. Luckily I won't be home most of the day Saturday - going to a workshop in Phoenix and then an evening concert in the park with my BF. I'll have to find something to do Sunday... maybe shopping - could be motivation!

Kim, I'm also going to agree with those who suggested you go to an urgent care or somewhere if things don't get any better - Tuesday seems so far away.

Dagmar, I agree with Shannon's take on the food addiction issues. A few people who are really close to me know about my issues with food, but they still don't "get" it - and I really can't explain it to myself let alone them. It's hard for me to take seriously, too.
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:44 PM   #81  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I'm back from my physical. Weighed in at 125 fully dressed so I'll take it. Everything looked good-- sending me for bloodwork and routine stuff. She didn't call me skinny or anything but she did say "you are lean". Guess that's a compliment!

I am looking forward to the weekend! We were going to go to Yosemite tomorrow but the high forecasted is 48 degrees and I am not a cold weather person. I think we'll put it off until the summer. Instead, tomorrow, dd and I are planning on going to a spin class and then to donate blood and have lunch. Afterwards, younger dd and I are getting our nails done (her mom's day gift to me but of course I am paying). Sunday (after I work), I think older dd and I are going to see a movie (probably How to Train your Dragon).

Oh... I am currently being tortured at work. There is ALWAYS bad food in the breakroom but I'm really good at avoiding it. Today, however, Junior Achievement is here and they are using my library as a meeting spot. There is a huge table of sweets, coffee cakes, etc., right by my desk. I've had to walk by it a million times. I keep snacking on my carrots and my gerbil food (my dd calls my Fiber One cereal gerbil food!).... Must......stay......strong.....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:57 PM   #82  
Meg

Michele, lean is a great compliment! I wish I was lean instead of being a tree stump. Keep telling yourself that you're lean and fit when you're tempted by all that nasty food.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:47 PM   #83  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Michele, being called lean is awesome! I'd take lean over skinny any day. To me, lean sounds like someone in good shape who is a runner and skinny sounds like the Olsen twins. I'd rather be a runner.

Iris, our A/C broke last year during 100 degree weather--it was horrible. Didn't even want to move except maybe to the air conditioned car and then to the air conditioned theater.

Kim, I'm with the other who say to go to an urgent care. Sounds pretty urgent to me.

My favorite dishwasher was my Bosch. It was the lower end model, but quiet and had a metal tub rather than plastic. I haven't found a favorite fridge, but I know it would have to have the freezer on the bottom and ice and water in the door. My DH said that while I was gone, water started pouring out of the ice dispenser. Thankfully he was home to turn off the water and clean up the floor. Got it fixed along with the leak under the sink and the problem with the sprinklers. Everything went wrong while I was on my trip.

Anyone ever get an RV detailed? We're selling our 25' RV, and I was appalled to find out it may cost $750 to get it detailed for resale. That was a rough estimate based on $30 per foot. The guy will check it out in person and give us a more accurate estimate, but I'm sure hoping it's half that price.

So we're entering the third week in May, and I really want to turn the heat on. It's 54 degrees outside at 3:00 pm. The high tomorrow is supposed to be 49 degrees. I finally planted the tomatoes yesterday, and I'm going to have to cover them the next couple of nights. Weird, weird weather. . .

Hope everyone has a good weekend. I'm huddling up with a book and my sweetie.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:15 PM   #84  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Thumbs up The new plan

Bill Great idea! I have so many places in the world left that I'd like to see that I'm game for anywhere.

Meg Tree stump describes me too. I'd love to be called lean!

I'm doing something completely different this weekend - trying to break those bad habits. I'm celebrating our first long weekend of the summer with things like a manicure, a dinner out, and a trip to the zoo with my nieces, instead of beer and chips etc.

I'm also going to see DH's band tomorrow night and will make a real attempt to talk to some of the people there, instead of hiding in a corner with the band members, whom I know.

I'm hoping the scale will reflect all of this Monday morning!

Have a great evening all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:04 PM   #85  

S/C/G: 320/185/165-170

Height: 5'5"

well here is the latest! iud is still in...i took myself to the ER because i was sooo sick of all the docs on the phone saying it couldnt possibly be their 'product' causing the problem (the iud, the blood thinners, the allergy meds) ... so after a few hours in the ER, i am no closer to an answer. I start a water pill tomorrow morning to help get rid of the extra water adn see my family doc on tues. i am going to press the issue oof the IUD with my family doc. the ER doc said he'd never heard of such a reaction... he did say that it sounds like hormones are causing my water retention... i dont care anymore, i just want it gone!!! at least i get to stop the strong-benadryl stuff and can do moderate exercise starting tomorrow

i never went to any of my school reunions... don't think i was ever actually invited (or maybe i just ignored the invites?!?!?)

would love to go now... in a smokin' hot outfit

enjoy your fri night !
happytobeamomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:00 PM   #86  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Shannon, maybe DSS’s mother is finally growing up a little. I’m glad there were no fireworks.

MsP, take of that hip. That one took me a while to recover from last winter.

Allison, I’m pretty sure you and I had the same Amana and now the same LG. I don’t really miss the cold water because my well is so deep that it’s always cold from the faucet and there is nothing in our water (no minerals or chemicals – very pure). But the ice – the LG is so slow about making ice. I’m the only one that uses it and it barely keeps up with me. The Amana made lots more – when it actually worked. So I buy ice for company as well. I will keep your LG dishwasher fiasco in mind when I finally replace the Kenmore.

Iris, here’s a picture of my AC. Yes it’s snowing… I thought about taking a pic of the hummingbirds at my feeder with the pool in the background but it's too cold to wait for a birdie (although I was buzzed when I cleaned the doggies' yard)

Dagmar, my response to your question about whey you can’t break the food overeating habit is I don’t believe it is a habit. To me, food is an addiction. I so wish I could stop eating all together so that I don’t have to feed the addiction in moderation. Anyway, your skinny pants are for you to marvel in – not for someone else to see you in. Reframe your thoughts on the pants and maybe they’ll be a motivator.

Bill, my vote is for Sydney. During the winter when it’s hottest there. Or I like Jessica’s idea of Barcelona. My passport is ready to go.

Jessica, I can’t shave. Period. Nope. I get a rash every time. I instead epilate with the Braun Epil). I’ve been doing it for two years. No rash and I get to go 10-14 days in between. Well worth “ripping” the hairs out. Actually I don't think it hurts much and after 2 years, it's just slightly uncomfy.

Michele, even if you were slightly up from last year, your weight loss is so GREAT! Lean is the top compliment in the book. I hope you were able to stay strong with the sweets in your work area. That would be big temptation.

Sheila, I’ve had my vehicle detailed once. It was pretty but not worth the price. For 750 bucks, put the elbow grease into and save the $$$. Or negotiate with the guy – hard times means his work might be scarce.

Kim, I hope the water pills help. And that the drunk from the super benadryl going away is a good side benefit. If I were in your place, I’d have the IUD removed and try a different method.

DH and I are thinking of traveling over the mountain tomorrow for Costco and other shopping. If the pass is ok, we'll do it. If not, Sunday it's supposed to be in the 70's on the other side and that just might be worth waiting.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:54 AM   #87  

Kim, good thing that you went to see another medic. I hope the anti-swelling pills work & that you are more comfortable now.

Michelle - WOW! Lean sounds great. I want to be lean!

marie - fabulous picture of where you live!

hi to all the rest, I did a ton of errands yesterday so now I'm off to work in my garden!

Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:39 AM   #88  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Default This is long - sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post
Dagmar, my response to your question about whey you can’t break the food overeating habit is I don’t believe it is a habit. To me, food is an addiction. I so wish I could stop eating all together so that I don’t have to feed the addiction in moderation. Anyway, your skinny pants are for you to marvel in – not for someone else to see you in. Reframe your thoughts on the pants and maybe they’ll be a motivator.
Marie
Marie I understand what you're saying about food as an addiction. I feel a little differently about that.

According to the dictionary addicition is defined as "the condition of taking a drug habitually and being unable to give it up without incurring adverse side effects."

I incur no adverse side effects when I don't overeat in the evenings. In fact I incur desirable side effects - weight loss, increased self-confidence, less self-loathing for failing to stay OP.

I regard my evening overeating as a bad habit, again defined as "an automatic reaction to a specific situation". In my case the eating is a reaction to the boredom and loneliness of sitting in front of a TV set.

Because I work so hard all day physically I tend to fall apart in the evening as I've run out of motivation. I have to teach myself to fall down in my office chair with a book or magazine or headphones or my little DVD player and a movie, instead of in front of the TV set.

Marie You're spot on about the skinny pants and I know that. I've just run into a bout of laziness about staying OP.

I'm sure we all sometimes wonder "why the heck am I working so hard to lose those last 5 lbs.? I look ok". That's where I'm at right now.

Have a great Saturday all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 12:46 PM   #89  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
a bad habit, again defined as "an automatic reaction to a specific situation"
Wow. Ain't that the truth? Boredom usually has me opening and closing the fridge and pantry in search of something to nosh on. I do have to say that I'm glad I don't have the problem in the evening while watching TV. I usually am quite content to just sit and watch. Right now, however, I'm fighting the urge! I have so much to do and I am waiting, waiting, waiting. I can't get any of it done as I'm waiting for other things (that are out of my control) to happen first. It's quite frustrating. The other time I'm usually bored and cupboard checking is right after work but before I have to start on dinner. Chips and crackers are my nemesis at that time.

Marie~I wish we had a well with cold water! Here in the desert we're lucky to get cool water out of the tap in the winter. There is no such thing as cold water in the summer. It's all hot--it makes it interesting while doing laundry as we never have true cold water. It is at the most tepid.

Iris~the first year we lived in the desert our AC went out on the 4th of July weekend. We were three days in temps in excess of 110 with no AC. We spent a lot of time at our friends house that weekend. And then to make matters worse, I had to take the 4th day off of work to wait for the repairman. We had bought a warranty on the house, so it only cost us $50 but they refused to send anyone on the holiday weekend. It sure made me mad!

Sheila~I think $750 is pretty reasonable for detailing an RV. We spent $100 for a small car once (and it didn't have a kitchen or bath!). Good luck in selling it. I'd kind of like to sell ours or at least upgrade, but we're backwards in it right now. I think we owe $68,000 and it's probably only worth $40,000 or possibly less.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:31 PM   #90  

I love MORE Magazine and this is a very funny read for anyone interested: Biggest Loser Boot Camp