Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-07-2009, 11:35 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Height: 5'4"

Holiday weekends are rough - although getting back to the grind tomorrow is a bit of a bummer, I think it'll help everyone (myself included!) back on track.

I've got lots of prep to do for tomorrow - esp. for one of my classes, so I'm off for now but I'll try to catch up in the morning!
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:49 AM   #17  
Woman On A Mission

S/C/G: 160/Ticker/125

Hope everyone had a great holiday weekend...now it's back to the grind...routine, school, work, staying on track...you know the drill!!!
Jacque9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:40 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

I'm actually looking forward to being OP again. I'm starting to really not want to eat unhealthy stuff (I just had 4 days of it) and since I've got low stress (no dogs, no dad) this week I'm going to try to stay in dieting mode all week.

This should be quite easy to do with the staycation.

Have a great week all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:26 AM   #19  
Chuggin' along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
Shannon, been there done that. Go kickbox something for awhile. Lots of water tomorrow.
Sound advice! We've all been there. I don't want to admit it, but I probably will be there again one day.

It sounds like food and activity were off for some of our long weekends but everyone did fun things. This weekend I all of the sudden started panicking that the holidays (you know, THE holidays, Thanksgiving & Christmas) are right around the corner and will be here before I know it! I've got to get back into more pairs of my jeans before the cold weather arrives. I made good progress this weekend, though! Stayed POP, except for a handful of pretzels yesterday. I made some yummy lowfat veggie dip and lowfat hummus with ww pita for my snacks all weekend, fruit salad, and ate it in the proper portions when I was hungry. I worked out each day, went scuba diving Sunday, even got to the gym at 7 am Monday to get in a workout before I went boating & beaching with my friends. And I had tons of fun, though I will admit I had a little twinge of envy/regret/whatever when we were sitting on the beach and everyone was drinking beer. But I'm not going there - alcohol always makes me eat much more, so is severely restricted for a little while.

Did I mention that as I was going down the anchor line to the wreck on my dive trip I saw a sea turtle scuttling off into the blue? So fun!

Back to work today for a short 3-day week. Friday BF & I are going road tripping to his nana's birthday party. Let's make it a good week.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:27 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 182/155/145

Height: 5'8"

Michelle - Not sure what I will be doing in SF. I have been many times before - my sister lives there. She is right in Russian Hill, so yes lots of walking hills.
I am going with a friend who loves to shop - so I am sure there will be just a lot of walking in general.

We are going to the mountains for the w/e, so maybe I will get some hiking in.
Just looking forward to sleeping in and relaxing for a few days.
The only real food threat is I HAVE to visit a taco place in the Mission, I love those tacos!!
sznn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:45 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 170/143/125

Dagmar, enjoy your staycation! I hope you get lots of rest and relaxation. There are a lot of places in the southwest that I hope to see before a permanent move back east. If only I ever had the time (and money!) a staycation could be in order for me as well. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan1982 View Post
This weekend I all of the sudden started panicking that the holidays (you know, THE holidays, Thanksgiving & Christmas) are right around the corner and will be here before I know it! I've got to get back into more pairs of my jeans before the cold weather arrives.
Oh man do I hear you on this! There is enough time that I am not panicking yet, but I see them looming on the horizon. Plus, I was cleaning out my closet and discovered FOUR pairs of slightly too small jeans (hello, muffin top!) that I need to get back into. The jeans I'm wearing right now are definitely showing their wear and I don't have the money to spend on jeans at the moment.

Megan, also that is SUPER cool about the sea turtle! I took some marine bio in college but never saw anything exciting like that. We mostly studied algae and now I'm studying human health... but how exciting!

sznn, have fun in SF!
iriswhispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:06 AM   #22  
Workin' It

Good morning everyone. I'm still grumpy and out of sorts today, but I'm going to stay OP, and I've already gotten off to a good start on the water. Hope it helps - as predicted, I'm right at redline. I know my patterns pretty well by this point in the process... DH went back to work today, still in some pretty solid pain I think, so won't be in a good place tonight either. We have DSS so that will provide some distraction at least.

Mel - rough long weekend for you too? Hope you feel better today!

Michele - It does seem kind of self destructive when we slip into those patterns, doesn't it? I didn't consciously think 'hey, I weighed less so I can eat a little ice cream' but I know it was in there somewhere.

Dagmar - enjoy the stress free week!

Megan - sea turtles are cool! Wow, Thanksgiving and Christmas are right around the corner... where did the year go?

Sznn - enjoy SF! And the tacos!

Iris - I got two pairs of pants on clearance at Target over the weekend, but sure don't want to have to spend money on pants either...

On the topic of the pants, one of the pairs I got was a 2! Wow! Of course, they don't fit well today with the extra two inches of tummy I picked up from my splurge yesterday... But they will be fine again soon...

to everyone! Have a good day!

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 09-08-2009 at 11:06 AM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:45 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Please! It's too early to mention THE holidays! Except that I was at Costco on Sunday and they already have an aisle dedicated to Christmas decorations. What? It's not even Halloween yet!

We bought a golf cart yesterday. It's used but in pretty good condition. We're going to give it to my in-laws when they return in October. I think they'll appreciate it--that way if one has the car, the other can still run short errands (and haul laundry to and from the resort laundromat!). It isn't technically street legal, so they really shouldn't use it outside the resort (there are a lot of golf paths here in the desert--but you have to have a street legal golf cart). I don't know how much we'd have to pay to make it street legal, but DH has this strange idea that one of us will use it to commute to work IN THE SUMMER while the in-laws are out of town. Doesn't he realize that the temperature in the summer is 115 most days? It doesn't have AC and of course it's open to ALL the elements! I don't think he has his head on straight!!!

Had a run in with a terrific burger last night and could have easily eaten only half of it. My scale rewarded me with a gain. Yikes. I've got to be even more OP today to get rid of that!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:50 AM   #24  

I just lost my post.....

I had a run-in with a terrific burger last night and my scale rewarded me with a gain, so I've got to be even more OP today to get rid of that.

We bought a golf cart yesterday. The plan is that our in-laws will use it while they are here (in the resort where we own an RV lot). I figure it will be helpful for them to run short errands and such. It isn't street legal so technically they can't drive it outside of the resort. I'm not sure what it would cost us to make it street legal (here in the desert we have a lot of golf cart paths on regular streets), but DH has this weird idea that one of us will use it in the summer to commute to work and back. I'm like, doesn't he realize that it gets above 115 here in the summer and the cart doesn't have AC? I mean, get real here dude! I'd be happy to use it to commute in the winter--but that is when the in-laws will have it, so that won't work. Anyway, it's a used cart and we'll probably have to replace the batteries so that is more important at this point.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:00 AM   #25  
Woman On A Mission

Need some advice....

I have a friend who started exercising and a lifestyle change about the same time I did. We both had about the same amount of weight to lose. Well I continued the journey...being very consistent and sticking with the goals I set. She has been very inconsistent and "talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk". She's always saying, I will do this and I will do that. She has dropped out of one thing, added another then pretty much doesn't nothing. She has gotten better and says she has lost some weight, honestly I don't see it...yet. I have been her biggest cheerleader in all this and don't feel that it is appreciated....her loss I guess but frustrating for me.

Anyway....for awhile now things have not been quite the same between us....my BF has been saying for months that she is jealous of my success.

Having said that, yesterday we were talking about (actually texting each other) and I had told her how I had had a veggie burger for lunch that I didn't quite agree with me and wasn't feeling great....her response was what kind of bread did I have with it....and I said, none, I didn't want the carbs (I eat them in other ways, i.e. cheese and crackers).

Anyway....her response,

YOU NEED CARBS, YOUR ARMS ARE TOO SKINNY!!! I was shocked at that response. That is her opinion and I don't agree one bit. Also, not one person has said any part of my body looks "too skinny". My response to her was that I like my arms, and she said, yea but they are still too skinny...all I said was, but they are ALL MUSCLE!!!

I really felt that she was trying to sabatoge me because she has not done much in her journey and would probably like to see me fail. I know that sounds crazy but awhile back someone said something about my arms being really toned and she says, well you tone fast. I was like, I freakin' worked my butt (and arms and everything else) off to get to where I am. There was nothing "fast" about it. This has been a long process and I am proud of how far I have come.

I'm sick and tired of the tension between us and I don't know how to handle it.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-09-2009, 07:34 AM   #26  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Well... it's a tough situation, and like a powder keg, in that if you are too confrontive with her, all of her negative emotions about herself are likely to come rushing out. I imagine she feels terrible that she has been unable to stay with it and lose weight. And, she also might lash out at you, since you probably represent all the ways in which she's failed.

I would say, make a coffee date or something, where you don't have to eat together necessarily, and just reveal in a caring way that she has made some remarks that have made you feel bad, and you wonder why. You don't need to speculate on why she is doing it--just the fact that she IS doing it. She may go into denial, or she may overreact, but in any case you have made your feelings known. Try to keep a caring, friendly tone in the discussion.

And the next time you get one of those response from her, you could point it out. "That's one of those comments I was talking to you about."

Be prepared to have the relationship cool down for awhile after the talk. It may be that you can't be friends the way you used to until she gets over this issue.

Just my 2 cents.
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 09:17 AM   #27  
Chuggin' along...

Yesterday I was doing a fairly intense workout, and all the sudden became too hungry to go on. I ate some of the pumpkin seeds in my purse, since that's all I had, felt better and finished my workout. Ate the rest of the pumpkin seeds (1 oz total) on my way home. 10 min. later nauseous/starving again, ate leftover rice in the fridge. BF got home with the flounder and triggerfish he'd caught for dinner just then. I told him I needed to eat ASAP, he got cooking and finally we got to eat. I could barely concentrate enough to make a salad - just walked out of the kitchen to go shower (Good thing BF has seen me like this a few times before and knew what was going on - he kept cooking!). I barely got the dishes done and went to bed after that. Hitting the bottom of my fuel tank so suddenly took me by surprise, and the bottom was much more intense than I've felt in a long time. I've been re-upping the intensity of my workouts over the last week and I guess it hit me all of the sudden last night. I finished the day much higher in calories that I would have liked on paper, 1950 calories isn't the "losing" range I'm trying to hit, but I feel like I needed every one of them and for once don't feel bad about "going over" my calories.

I'm better prepared today with a protein muffin for the gym so I can get a hit of protein and carbs immediately if I need it. I think the more intense workouts are helping me - helping my body move and also get me into better shape again - but I need to remember to be prepared and give myself proper fuel, too.

Joci, sorry to hear that you're having these problems with your friend. I think Jay's right. We can all speculate about why she might be saying hurtful things to you, but if you talk to her about this keep the conversation on how she's hurting you with her remarks. Don't bring up her weight loss efforts. Maybe she will be receptive, maybe not even realize what she's doing, but maybe not. If she's not ready to hear it or continues to make negative comments to you, you might need to stop spending time with her for a while. It's okay for her to be a little jealous, not ok to keep putting you down. Good luck.

Allison, lol, you can let DH commute to work on the golf cart in 115 degree weather. You just keep driving the car.

Shannon, I hope you feel better today. Wow, a size 2! Awesome!

Sznn, enjoy SF! Sounds like a fun trip.

Iris, I am so spoiled b/c I actually have seen several sea turtles up close and personal, and get to see dolphins all the time too. It never gets old, though. They're such neat animals!

Have a good Wednesday everyone.

Last edited by Megan1982; 09-09-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:23 AM   #28  
Workin' It

Joci - That is a tough situation. Like has already been said, no way of knowing why she is acting out like that. Definitely not okay for her to put you down. Things might be a little sketchy for a while, but hopefully talking to her about how you feel will help. Keeping it to your feelings about her comments is good, less accusing and allows her to save some face. Good luck! BTW, I looked at your profile pic and your arms look fab!

Megan - I've hit bottom like that a few times myself, pretty scary. Definitely stock up so you have something on hand quickly if it happens again!

Allison - I can't imagine being in an open golf cart in 115 degrees, an air conditioned car is bad enough! There is a town south of Atlanta, Peachtree City, with a lot of golf cart trails through town - you see people driving theirs to work, going through the drive-thru, they built overpass bridges to cross the highways. They are out in them in all weather - there was a big conflict a few years ago when police started ticketing people for driving them under the influence or with open containers... Was weird to watch it all unfold, my dad worked near there at the time and witnessed a cart/automobile accident where the cart driver was drinking and plowed right off the path directly in front of a car.

My cold is definitely worse today than yesterday... Blah. I don't know if I got it from DH who was sick last week (but mostly over it by Thursday) or DSS who had a fever on Sunday when I was hanging out with him while DH was on bed rest from the back injury. I'm suspecting I picked it up Sunday. Yuck.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:31 PM   #29  

Jacque~it is jealousy and there may be little you can do about it. Next time she says something disparaging like that I'd just say to her "sorry you feel that way but I feel differently" and see what happens. It might start a conversation where you can be more truthful, but it sounds like she really has not made the full decision to lose weight (it is a HARD thing to do!) and she is jealous that you were able to make that decision.

Megan~are you hypoglycemic? Your hitting the bottom and being kind of "ditsy" (the best way I can explain how you were acting, lol--not saying you ARE ditsy!) sounds like hypoglycemia. My friend who I went to Italy with seems to have those symptoms (she gets dizzy and can't read if she's too hungry). If that is the case you might want to keep a little more on hand than just pumpkin seeds for future events!

Shannon~sorry your cold is worse. I hope you feel better soon. I know the cold I got in July was probably one of the worst I've had in over 10 years. It took weeks to get rid of that phlegmy feeling in my lungs.

My good news is that the scale is back down to post vacation weight after my run-in with that jalapeno burger! Actually, it wasn't just the burger. I ate bread with all 3 meals on Monday. I never eat that much bread and I'm sure that had a lot to do with it.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:48 PM   #30  
Woman On A Mission

Thanks everybody for the advice...just a few more things. She is one of my oldest and dearest friends, so I can't imagine her not in my life. She (and her husband) fixed my BF and me up, so we are part of a big group....pretty much my only friends, so distancing myself from her is not an option.

I have, for quite awhile, not brought up the whole weightloss/exercise thing to her. I only talk about it in response to her questions or comments on what she has, of most likely hasn't done. And to be totally honest, since my schedule has not changed at all since I have started, she pretty much knows when and where (pilates, boot, camp, gym, etc...) I am at certain times but always would sound shocked when I would answer her question "What did you do last night?" and I would respond with "Pilates (or the gym)". It's almost like she didn't think I would stick with it.

When we are all together, I can feel the tension and I think some of our other friends can too. I have talked to a few of them about it and they all respond, "well you know how she is". No I don't....I thought we would support each other through the process, that we would do it together....like we said we would. I've cheerleaded for her, but have not gotten one RAH RAH from her. No I take that back, just last weekend (the first and only time I got a RAH) was when we were all at her house and some people who hadn't seen me were complimenting me. She did chime in and say, "doesn't she look great?". But to be honest, it didn't feel sincere at all. It felt like she only said it because everyone else was.

Fri night her, another friend and myself are going out for our b'day celebration dinner. I plan on eating whatever I want...because I can...I am good during the week so I can be a little bad on the weekends. Having said that, she has already said what she is planning on eating...and I can feel it in her tone that she would just love to see me stuff my face...and she probably will ..no seriously, I won't be THAT bad, but I won't have to think so much about it and might feel weird about enjoying whatever I eat when she will try to be totally good...does that make sense?

Anyway...thanks again...I knew I liked 3FC....everyone is so supportive...more so then my closest friend....