Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-14-2009, 07:28 PM   #1  

Default when will the cravings stop....

Is there ever a point where my next meal isn't my primary focus?? All I think about is what I'm going to eat for the rest of the day, of course focusing on keeping it healthy. It's still a struggle to shut out thoughts of junk food. Sometimes I just want to give in and pig out!!! It's so daunting to think that this is how it will be for the rest of my life. It will always be an effort to eat healthy and I'll always have that nagging in the back of my mind (or maybe right up front) that I want a cheese steak and fries, or Doritos, or chocolate cake. I enjoy the healthy foods that I eat but it's just not the same!!!
tiffany0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

tiffany, are you eating clean--cutting out the junky carbs??....I just cannot have the junky ones..when I eat them it makes me crazy--I just want to eat, eat, eat! It doesn't matter if a bag of chips only has 160 calories or whatever--I end up eating another 1000 of garbage because of them!

Also, are you getting plenty of protein, water and fiber??
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:47 PM   #3  

hey for what it's worth...when I want a donut or whatever I think to myself, "you know, I think I can wait until tomorrow..." and then I move on...a lot of times the craving time passes..

when I really MUST have something..like just before my cycle...well, it's to be expected...and I usually indulge and aim for moderation!
Old 09-14-2009, 07:50 PM   #4  

I'm definitely eating all of the "right" things, I just want to eat something that I think is DELICIOUS, which is usually very unhealthy and fattening. I think I'm afraid that once I start, I won't be able to stop, so I'm afraid to indulge once in a while. I think I need to calm down and stop being so hard on myself!
tiffany0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:52 PM   #5  

Tiffany, do you notice if your cravings go in patterns?

I don't know what to say. When I eat clean I rarely have uncontrollable urges to eat horrid things. I don't bring them in the house because I know I would be nibbling! My poor family--never gets anything but healthy!
Old 09-14-2009, 08:30 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 160/see ticker/140

Height: 5'8''

Girl I TOTALLY know what you mean!! I've been wanting chocolate ever since I got to work tonight and I've had one pharmacist offer me a brownie then another one offer me a cookie!! I declined to both but darn it I REALLY want some frickin chocolate!! :-(

~D~
duqserb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:31 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/155/140

Tiffany, I totally get what your talking about. OMG, the most agonizing part of what u posted is the "rest of my life" thing. I tell my hubby when the kids are grown and I'm a grandma I'm going to bake all the time and be the fat comfy grandma. He just laughs and says by then u won't allow yourself to and will just be harping on the next generation to eat healthy and stay moving!! LOL

Last edited by Jokan; 09-14-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Jokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:47 PM   #8  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Yes, that point DOES come. And several points with it.

As has already been said - eating clean and banishing the simple-sugary carbs is an important step for most folk.

Try to think of it in terms of what you CAN have, what you CAN enjoy, and how wonderful that healthy, life-giving food is.

Honestly, there was a thread a while back by Robin where several folk commented on how much they actually preferred healthy foods to "junk".

Just yesterday we had a mini-brunch at church. I didn't look twice at the pastries. Yet I found the apples and cheddar cheese were calling my name. So were the carrots and the broccoli.

I can duplicate this scenario almost daily.

A pint of dark chocolate premium ice cream sits in my refrigerator for 2-3 weeks. The bowl of Dove promises has been sitting on my desk at work for almost a month.

Honestly, you too will get to a point where you can carry green beans in your purse and enjoy them as a snack and not wish they were potato chips.

The change is gradual, it is a process - yes - it is a journey. But, the change DOES happen. At least it has happened for a LOT of chickies around here

Don't despair - I actually feel BLESSED that I now love to eat healthy foods instead of junk. I love that I feel energized instead of lethargic after eating. In other words - it isn't a death sentence that this is a "rest of your life" commitment - it is a LIFE sentence - one that gives you back your health and energy and lets you live your life to its fullest.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote